• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare's 'totally niche pirate GAAS game' Sea of Thieves now has 30 million players

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

FVEjxRvXwAEQovA

One day Rare showed incoming Microsoft Studios head Phil Spencer a little prototype for a pirate game they wanted to make. Five years later, 30 million people have played this "totally niche" game.

Goalus

Not bad for a niche* game.

*I can provide a source if necessary.
Edit:
OP already mentioned it. Seems to be common knowledge already.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Would've loved this if it only had certain PvP zones so I could avoid that aspect entirely. Kudos to that team for turning it around though.

bender

What time is it?
Reminds me of old school UO actually. Never know if that sail on the horizon is going to be a threat or not, and taking out a ship when you're outnumbered is awesome.

I'll never fight and will just play my concertina to shame you bloody skallywags.

anthony2690

Banned
I genuinely love this game, when I have the time to play it, I'll boot it up and poof hours vanish just like that!

Very unique game :)

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
One of the best experiences I’ve had this gen even though I didn’t get too into it. Still very fond of the time I’ve spent with it though. Just super chill different. Nothing else out there giving you that open sea like this.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yea PVE servers would be great. I get more stress trying to transfer loot and goods by myself. I don't get a chance to play with friends and people all the time.
Or hell, I wouldn’t mind a PvP mode where you could only do solo queue.

FVEjxRvXwAEQovA

One day Rare showed incoming Microsoft Studios head Phil Spencer a little prototype for a pirate game they wanted to make. Five years later, 30 million people have played this "totally niche" game.

How many people have actually purchased the game? I don't care about how many people downloaded it and tried it, that doesn't tell me anything about how many people actually wanted the game.

CitizenZ

Banned
Please explain how Sea of Thieves is pay to win.

I dint say it was PTW, my point was these 'seasons' are basically the same thing though they are simple cosmetics. I mean FFS, there is one that provide a better 'spark' for a muzzle flash. A fcking spark.

Kev Kev

Is this fun if I don’t have any friends to play with?
yeah its great. but your going to get killed a lot. but just the sailing part alone is worth it, its so much fun. actually getting to an island, finding treasure and bringing it back to trade in is a rush bc its quite dangerous. so if you can get over dying a lot and losing progress, its super fun and exhilarating.

i will say, youll need to do a bit of lite research on the best ways to spend your time, but the learning curve isnt very steep. i cant recommend it enough, i loved it, but i couldnt handle getting killed by other players and getting depressed lol.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Is this fun if I don’t have any friends to play with?
Not as fun without friends. When you're in a big sea battle and some fucking idiot starts playing on his hurdy-gurdy or just blasts himself from the cannon into nowhere, while laughing as a total madman - this is when Sea of Thieves really shines!

Last edited:

ManaByte

I dint say it was PTW, my point was these 'seasons' are basically the same thing though they are simple cosmetics. I mean FFS, there is one that provide a better 'spark' for a muzzle flash. A fcking spark.
No there isn’t.

You can customize your cannon flares, but not gun muzzle flashes.

Last edited:
yeah its great. but your going to get killed a lot. but just the sailing part alone is worth it, its so much fun. actually getting to an island, finding treasure and bringing it back to trade in is a rush bc its quite dangerous. so if you can get over dying a lot and losing progress, its super fun and exhilarating.

i will say, youll need to do a bit of lite research on the best ways to spend your time, but the learning curve isnt very steep. i cant recommend it enough, i loved it, but i couldnt handle getting killed by other players and getting depressed lol.
Not as fun without friends. When you're in a big sea battle and some fucking idiot starts playing on his hurdy-gurdy or just blasts himself from the cannon into nowhere, while laughing as a total madman - this is when Sea of Thieves really shines!
I’ll give it a chance. I remember playing it about a year ago briefly but I had no idea what I was doing.

Lognor

Banned
I think if it is, then there is nothing impressive about how many people are playing it for free. I actually do not know if it is or isn't, which is why I asked.
I've been told that game pass is not free whenever I say I'll play a game for free since it's on game pass. So if that applies to me then it applies to your argument. Game pass isn't free. Ppl have to pay to use it so no one is playing this game for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom