• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare's cancelled Nintendo 64 game Dinosaur Planet has leaked online, fully playable build offers a glimpse at the game which became Starfox Adventures

molasar

Banned
Yeah but imagine, you could have really gone to town with the Cube version, more space, memory etc...really utilise what the Cube brought to the table...

That is not the point. It is all about art of doing functional minimalist version based on pixel art. And I already experienced arcade and N64 versions. Also emulated version on KIAME in early 2000s.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This is pretty cool to see coming out all these years later. I was disappointed when this was cancelled and a star fox game came out instead.

JimboJones

I remember not liking the game much when it released but I still get super nostalgic for it when hearing the sounds and music. I snap out of it again once I play it for a while 😅

Umbasaborne

Banned
Watched an lp last night. Its surreal seeing this game fully playable. I was so excited for this back in the day. Star fox adventures ultimatley didnt live up to those expectations

First noticeable thing: they should've kept the english VO instead of the goofy ass dino language for krystal and others.

Second: this game looked really really good for an n64 game

Third: graphically sfa still looks pretty damn good. Rare was awesome

Last edited:

nkarafo

Second: this game looked really really good for an n64 game
I keep reading this but i don't see it.

I must have played 200 out of 300 N64 games. Played and finished all RARE games on real hardware. This one doesn't look nearly as good as Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, let alone something like Conker. Even Jet Force Gemini looks better.

I mean, look at something like Conker. The shadow cast by Conker is very advanced and uses the same techniques as something on a PS2. You can see the shadow being cast on the walls and everything. Dinosaur Planet uses the same technique as Jet Force Gemini, which is like a predecessor to Conker's finer tech so it's more limited and lower res. I haven't seen the whole game (i just finished Crystals first part) but i thought the environments aren't as complex as in previous RARE games either (especially Tooie and Conker).

Does the game look significantly better later on?

Last edited:
I keep reading this but i don't see it.

I must have played 200 out of 300 N64 games. Played and finished all RARE games on real hardware. This one doesn't look nearly as good as Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, let alone something like Conker. Even Jet Force Gemini looks better.

I mean, look at something like Conker. The shadow cast by Conker is very advanced and uses the same techniques as something on a PS2. You can see the shadow being cast on the walls and everything. Dinosaur Planet uses the same technique as Jet Force Gemini, which is like a predecessor to Conker's finer tech so it's more limited and lower res. I haven't seen the whole game (i just finished Crystals first part) but i thought the environments aren't as complex as in previous RARE games either (especially Tooie and Conker).

Does the game look significantly better later on?
I mean, pretty much any game from that generation compared to Conker is going to lose. That game is a technical marvel on so many levels, it's amazing. DP isn't the best looking n64 game ever, but overall it's a really nice looking game.

No one really could touch what Rare and Factor 5 pulled off with the n64

Last edited:

nkarafo

Anyway, for anyone playing this game on an emulator use "count per Op = 1" to smooth out the frame rate a bit.

This is applicable to any emulator based on Mupen, including Retroarch cores. Project 64 has something similar too but it also has an overclocking option you can use. Not sure if these break the game further but it does make it smoother.

Top Bottom