• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare drops are the bane of my existence and are such a lazy gameplay element

levyjl1988

Banned
There seems to be that satisfaction like encountering a wild shiny Pokemon type of thing. I guess it can be addictive similar to loot boxes and gambling as people can be quite persevering.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I can deal with overpowered equipment being a rare drop. It's non-essential. When games make finishing a quest dependent on a rare drop, it's ass. Playing through FFXV, trying for as close to 100% as I can this go around, and there's a quest that involves hunting a griffon for a rare drop, and there's like a 15% chance, and you just have to fight this mother fucker over and over and over, which involves going to Lestallum and accepting the hunt, because it's not a commonly spawning enemy. I managed it by save scumming, but doing it legit would have taken like two hours and just...fuck that.

Robbit_80

I remember trying to get the Zodiac Spear from the Henne Mines in the original FF12 years ago fuck me that was some bullshit. 😂

Fuz

Banned
I remember vividly trying to get a Crissaegrim in Symphony of the Night (an OP weapon that basically turns 99% enemies in the game like butter left under the sun for a few hours as soon as you hit them) for close to 2hrs.
2 fucking hours of entering library, killing 6-7 enemies, leaving, re-entering, re-killing, re-leaving… that song is good but even I had my limits…

But god damn that blade destroys any challenge the game throws at you 😆

A few weeks later I saw my friend got 2 in less than 10 mins
pizza fire GIF
Been there.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
You know what I like WAY better than rare drops? A guarunteed drop, but a much harder challenge to acquire said drop. Older games really felt like an accomplishment when you'd unlock crazy shit for hard work.

Some examples: Fierce deity mask in Majora's Mask. Unlocking cheats in Goldeneye 64. The Halo outfit changes you unlock in OG Halo 3. Early need for speed unlockables (I think the rebooted Hot Pursuit 2010 was the last to really do this well). I could go on.

This major change in gaming is one that has bothered me the most.

Valonquar

Pretty much every NM drop in FFXI, especially at release when you had like 40+ people all ready to try to claim the same mob at pop.

Top Bottom