• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Opinion Trailer Ranking ALL Mainline HALO Games From Worst To Best

MrFunSocks

Jul 9, 2020
For me, MP only because I don't care about campaigns:

1. Halo 5
2. Halo Reach
3. Halo 3
4. Halo CE
5. Halo 4
6. Halo 2

For some reason 2 just didn't do it for me the same way 1 did. I put 4 over it because 4 was the building blocks for 5, the start of you feeling not like a slow lumbering tank. Halo 5 has made all the other Halo MPs virtually unplayable for me now though, it was just that good. You finally actually felt like how Spartans had been described. Going back to a slow lumbering tank on legs is so jarring and bad feeling IMO.

I haven't seen anything about the movement in Infinite, so does anyone know if they've still got the dash and other advanced movement in it? God I hope they didn't remove it.

Last edited:

Robb

Feb 12, 2021
I'd rank them something like this;

1. HALO 2
2. HALO CE
3. HALO 3
4. HALO 4
5. HALO REACH
6. HALO ODST
7. HALO 5

This is only based on the singleplayer though. I've never played/been interested in multiplayer Halo.

RoyalLaFlame

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2013
1. Halo CE
2. Halo 2
3. Halo 3
4. Halo Reach
5. Halo ODST
6. Halo 4
7. Halo 5 (this game will always be at the bottom for me)

Amaranty

Nov 22, 2019
I started on the series last month and I haven't really played multiplayer, so I'll rank them based on campaign.

From best to worst:

Halo 3
Halo 2
Halo Reach
Halo 5
Halo 4
Halo ODST
Halo CE

The reason why I put Halo CE last is because I think that every Halo game after the original was an improvement.

HBx2000

Nov 5, 2015
Netherlands
1) Halo 4
2) Halo Reach
3) Halo 2
4) Halo CE
5) Halo 3
6) Halo 5
7) Halo ODST

Funny to see so many people disliking Halo 4. I loved it very much because of the much needed enemy variety.
Only played the games mainly for the single player and co-op. Didn't play enough multiplayer to give an opinion.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Dec 1, 2014
ibiza

Halo is one of very few shooter franchises out there that cay say that their campaigns and multiplayer components are equally important. People play Halo games online for years and years on end, and for very good reason, but the importance of the series' campaigns cannot be overstated- to the point where a Halo game's campaign, as we have seen several times over the years, can make or break the entire experience.

We recently ranked all Halo games as overall packages, but here, we're going to limit our criteria to just a single factor, and rank every game in the series based on their campaigns.

Also remember that for the purposes of this feature, we'll only be covering the mainline Halo FPS titles, so you won't find the Halo Wars games in this ranking.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Dec 1, 2014
ibiza

As we count down the days to Halo Infinite's launch, in recent weeks, we've taken it upon ourselves to recap the entire series' story so far, and until now, we've discussed the events portrayed in Halo Wars and Halo Reach. Of course, there's still a long way to go, and as we continue our Halo recap, here, we're going to be talking about the game that started it all. So settle in and get ready for the full story of Halo: Combat Evolved, from start to finish.

Mar 3, 2011
Australia
Single player, as follows:-

3 > CE > Reach > ODST > 4 > 2 > 5 (Always critical on 2 splitting gameplay between two characters, same with 5)

Multiplayer:-

5 > Reach > 3 > 2 > CE > 4 (Didn't include ODST. It was just Firefight wasn't it? Probably better than 4 though)

Nostalgia:-

3 > Nothing else matters

Reactions: VAVA Mk2

jigglet

May 18, 2020
Impact: Halo 1 in general, Halo 2 for online
Campaign: no comment, never played one
Graphics (for the time): Halo 4, that looked stunning on release
Multiplayer: Halo 5

CheshirexChrono

Neo Member
May 23, 2020
Halo 2 was my childhood, loved how all my friends has uncles that worked for bungie. Halo 3 is peak for me however. Online gaming was new to me and the map creation was incredible. The different games people made for the maps they created was really an experience I don't think I'll ever have again.
If anyone remembers escape from China, they'll know what I mean.

Verchod

Jun 22, 2016
Stratford upon Avon, UK
Tricky really. None of them are great all the way through. Halo 2 easily the worst, feels unrefined and layout of levels feels poor.
Maybe;

Reach
ODST.
CE
Halo 3
Halo 5
Halo 4
Halo 2

I've played the single player element of these a lot. Reach is most enjoyable. I like the feel of ODST. Halo 3 has some great levels, but also some shit ones.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
May 19, 2019
ODST
Reach
CE
Halo 3
Halo 2
Halo Wars 2
Halo Wars
Halo 4
Halo 5

I mean what's with all the love for the new titles? We already had CoD for decades at this point before they just slapped a Halo sign on it and called it a day. Fun fact Halo 4 was the first Halo game I never finished, Halo 5 after 3 decades of gaming resulted in me trading in my first ever console and entire library of games.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Jun 13, 2013
Australia

Banjo64

Dec 8, 2020
Halo 3, Halo 2, Halo 5, Halo Reach, Halo 4, Halo CE (just ranking the online there).

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Dec 1, 2014
ibiza

As we count down the days to Halo Infinite's launch, our full recap of the Halo series continues. Last time, we talked about Combat Evolved and the Master Chief and Cortana's first mission together, which ended with the destruction of the Halo Ring – Installation 04 – that the game was set on. Here, we'll be talking about Halo 2, and its much more ambitious and large-scale story.

FR1908

Neo Member
May 3, 2021
Netherlands
My order btw (too late to edit ^);

7 - Halo 5
6 - Halo 4
5 - Halo ODST
4 - Halo Reach
3 - Halo 2
2 - Halo CE
1 - Halo 3 - I play through the campaign at least once a year. The perfect first person shooters playground and taking the nr 2 spot in my top 100 games of all time.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Feb 19, 2018
1. 3
2. CE
3. Reach
4. 2
10. ODST
100. 4 and 5

I'm still regularly playing the Bungie games via MCC in both SP and co-op, and not gonna stop anytime soon.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Jun 11, 2019
From best to worst.

Reach

Didn't played osdt.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Jun 11, 2019
For me halo 2 will always be the best simply beause it was the game where I spent most time with friends before we parted ways.Sometimes the best isn't inherently the best because of the game but because of the people you play it with.
Kinda same, hard to forget halo 2 moments with the friends.

But i liked the campaign too, the introduction of the brutes, the arbiter, the dual weapon handling...

Those were the times when i was super excited for a new halo, but this feeling kinda dissapated after h3, it briefly returned for halo 4 but after playing that thing the hype completely disappeared.

They need to do something big with infinite to make me a fan again, but i have zero trust after 2 mediocre games.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: azertydu91

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Dec 1, 2014
ibiza

With Halo Infinite set to release in December for the Xbox Series X, we’re looking back at the Halo series overall and ranking the mainline FSP franchise. From Halo: Combat Evolved to Halo Reach to Halo 5: Guardians, we’re pitting the classic Bungie and 343 Industries games against each other to see who comes out on top. The Master Chief and Cortana may dominate the charts, but how do the adventures of Noble 6 and Spartan Locke stack up to Spartan 117.

In this video, we are going to analyze each Halo game’s campaign, from the haunting explorations of Halo 3: ODST to the classic exploration of the alien Covenant’s culture in Halo 2. At the same time, we also take a look at the Halo games' most defining feature: multiplayer. From Warzone to Firefight to Invasion to Grif Ball, Halo has constantly set the bar for multiplayer, both in split-screen and on Xbox Live, and no discussion of the series can ignore the importance of Halo’s impact on online gaming.

For this ranking, we’re not including the Halo Wars series or the offshoots like Spartan Strike or the arcade game Fireteam Raven, though they are great games for those who want more story context on Halo Infinite. And while Halo: The Master Chief Collection is absolutely the best way to play Halo in 2021, it’s also not featured on this list because it is ultimately a compilation package instead of one game. You can also sign up for Game Pass Ultimate to play every mainline Halo game as well as numerous spin-offs.

CatLady

Jun 12, 2018
Halo Reach > than every game except FO3 - Halo 4 > Halo CE > Halo 3 > Halo 5 > Halo ODST > Halo 2

JordoftheDead

Sep 17, 2007
For campaign I would say Halo 3, Reach, Halo: CE, ODST >>>>>>> Halo 2 >>>>>> everything by 343 so far

Artistic

Nov 4, 2017
If we're ranking MPs:
Halo 3
Halo 5
Halo 2
Halo CE
Halo 4
Halo Reach

I'll put Infinite currently in between 5 and 2. I'll probably have a higher opinion on 2 if I played it during its peak on XBL.

Cutty Flam

Dec 3, 2019
Funny to see so many people disliking Halo 4
It’s horrid IMO. My favorite game type is Big Team Battle CTF and Bomb the Base. All tactics and strategy were pretty much eviscerated from the gametype. It’s nothing when you can sprint and fly on those poorly designed, plain as fuck maps. If they fuck up the maps again I’m going to be furious. You put sprint and jetpack in the game, the least they can do is put a fair amount of platforms and such to fly into or onto and expand the size of the map. Otherwise, sprint just turns what would be a large map in Halo 2 or Halo 3, into a small map for Halo 4 when you consider how quickly you can traverse from one side to the other w/ sprint

Omeggos

Jan 12, 2018
Halo 3 > halo 2 > halo reach > halo 4 > halo ce > halo odst

dishonorable mention: halo 5

halo 5 having “good” gunplay doesnt take away from its obnoxiously high learning curve, cod-esque killing times and the degrading of map designs to fit sprint and spartan abilities.
On top of that, the campaign is the worst pile of shit to spew from any of my beloved franchises its legitimately the only game that the mere mention of name makes my blood boil.

halo 4 i can give a pass because the mutliplayer atleast felt serviceable (even if it was a straight up cod clone) but the campaign was actually pretty good. Story-wise. The levels were a bit too linear he ce why its mid-tier for me.

odst is a nice spin-off but it *was* just a spin-off that just happened to include halo 3’s entire MP library on disc.

Halo reach has my favorite campaign and my favorite mode (invasion) but its gunplay and armor abilities drag it down a bit.

halo 3 and (to a lesser degree) halo 2 are the peak of the franchise for me. Good speed, good gunplay, the best map designs, good campaigns (yes i like the arbiter, fight me) halo 3 tops 2 mainly because of how insane customs were, the true start of halo shenanigans.

also halo ce exists. Its good. Kinda feels dated by the rest of the series but its still good.

Last edited:

Sacred

Aug 22, 2018
As someone who played the first two game professionally, definitely:

CE > H2 > H3 > H5 > Reach > 4

jigglet

May 18, 2020
For me, MP only because I don't care about campaigns:

1. Halo 5
2. Halo Reach
3. Halo 3
4. Halo CE
5. Halo 4
6. Halo 2

For some reason 2 just didn't do it for me the same way 1 did. I put 4 over it because 4 was the building blocks for 5, the start of you feeling not like a slow lumbering tank. Halo 5 has made all the other Halo MPs virtually unplayable for me now though, it was just that good. You finally actually felt like how Spartans had been described. Going back to a slow lumbering tank on legs is so jarring and bad feeling IMO.

I haven't seen anything about the movement in Infinite, so does anyone know if they've still got the dash and other advanced movement in it? God I hope they didn't remove it.

I loved Halo 5's MP and probably prefer its movement to Halo Infinite, however being able to reload, swap, and regenerate my shield while sprinting in Infinite feels so fucking good so it ends up coming out as a wash for me.