• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank Your Favorite Sega Console

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
1) Dreamcast - No contest! My most favorite console by Sega and easily my most favorite console ever made. Quirky and abundant accessories, a stellar software line-up for a console that had such a brief commercial run, Amazing hardware design, and games that appeal to the most hardcore gamer. SEGA at its finest if you ask me!

2) Saturn - A very close 2nd to Dreamcast. I love my Saturn! I find the aesthetics of the console to be strangely appealing, and the controller is essentially perfect for a gamer like myself.

3) Genesis/MegaDrive - My first exposure to Sega's awesomeness, I have nothing but respect and fond memories of this console. I own a Model 2 with a 32x attachment and a few key titles.

4) Game Gear - I have Blue edition GG and a few dozen titles. Unfortunately its no where near my favorite portable handhelds like the GBA SP and NGPC.

1. DC was the last hardcore gamer console. Playing Quake 3 Arena with Mouse and Keyboard ONLINE against PC Gamers in 2000! The gaming future looked so promising, but this future died with the DC and never came back...
  2. MD was the cool dirty brother of the SNES. Sonic was the perfect counterpart to Mario.
Never knew someone with a Saturn and the sales in my country where pretty low.

1. CDX, the combo of Genesis and Sega CD in a tiny box is one of the greatest experience i had.
2. SegaSaturn, the japanese version, is my favorite Sega hardware by milles. I still play it today.
3. MegaDrive 1 from Japan.
4. Dreamcast.

MetalSlug

1. Dreamcast (Favourite console that I always have connected)

2. Saturn (I was the only person out of my friends with this console) + I wish my mum never let me sell it after the Dreamcast released. Haven't seen or played a Saturn since 1999 :messenger_loudly_crying:

3. MegaDrive

4. Master System

Birdo

Banned
1. MegaDrive (Massive diverse library)
2. Dreamcast (Superb Arcade ports)
3. Master System (Beautiful colours and good arcade ports for the time)
4. Saturn (Not great, but there are some good games)
5. 32X (Some great games, but just came out too late)

Last edited:

Hakiroto

1. Mega Drive (nothing can beat those games for me – Sonic, Road Rash, Mortal Kombat, Streets of Rage, Earthworm Jim, Ecco the Dolphin, etc.)
2. Game Gear (my first handheld... that I had to play tethered to the power brick in the wall as my parents refused to keep buying batteries)
3. Dreamcast (I'll never forget when I first played Crazy Taxi at my friend's house after he saved up for a Dreamcast)
4. Saturn

Relativ9

This bad boy right here; my first console. Bonus points to anyone who can remind me what the bionic commando-like batman game that was on it was called, that shit was awesome!

Mjt9YFr.jpg

cireza

Banned
This bad boy right here; my first console. Bonus points to anyone who can remind me what the bionic commando-like batman game that was on it was called, that shit was awesome!

Mjt9YFr.jpg
Batman Returns. Great game on the Master System.

I cannot rank them.
I hold them dear for:

Master System for the Nostalgia
Dreamcast for being such an amazing and daring machine
Megadrive for giving the SNES a good rivalry

The Saturn was bad, though.

1. Genesis - Truly a worthy rival to the SNES and in many ways superior to it at least when it comes to arcade games.
2. Dreamcast - Amazing last effort from Sega and my personal favorite among all the 128-bit systems.
3. Saturn - While a failure as a console at least here in the US, in Japan it's a different story still bringing the best arcade experience at home for the time.

Porcile

Not a console outright but I'll throw the Sega CD in there IF ONLY because of Snatcher. Such an awesome game.

edit - I mean the English localisation.

Last edited:

drganon

1 Dreamcast
2 Genesis

I cant rank the Saturn or master system since I never owned or had much experience with either.

Tiamat2san

1) Dreamcast - No contest! My most favorite console by Sega and easily my most favorite console ever made. Quirky and abundant accessories, a stellar software line-up for a console that had such a brief commercial run, Amazing hardware design, and games that appeal to the most hardcore gamer. SEGA at its finest if you ask me!

2) Saturn - A very close 2nd to Dreamcast. I love my Saturn! I find the aesthetics of the console to be strangely appealing, and the controller is essentially perfect for a gamer like myself.

3) Genesis/MegaDrive - My first exposure to Sega's awesomeness, I have nothing but respect and fond memories of this console. I own a Model 2 with a 32x attachment and a few key titles.
Well you nailed it for me OP.
I just remove the game gear because I don’t play handheld.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
1. Saturn - missed this growing up so it's actually my "newest" SEGA console. The breadth of arcade ports alone makes it worth it to me, but there are a number of excellent exclusives as well.

2. Genesis / MD - tons of excellent 16 bit entries for this system, easily the equal of the SNES

3. Dreamcast - amazing 3d arcade titles, but a shamefully thin library overall

4. Game Gear - some fun games, but ghosting and short battery life were a pain

Not ranked: Master System, CD, 32x, on account that I never played those.

Lone Wolf

1. Genesis: was Segas peak.

2. Dreamcast: underrated and an awesome console for arcade games.

3. Master System: my childhood console, had this instead of an NES, which was unheard of if you lived in the USA. Lots of great games on this system. Wish Sega would release a compilation on current consoles of the best MS games.

Last edited:
1. Genesis Model 1 - This is the one that brought me to the videogame world. I spent many hours Sonic 2, Shining Force, Vectorman, and many others as a kid.
2. Sega CD - I know it didn't have a lot of games but I remember getting this for Christmas and me and my brother playing Sewer Shark together. It will always have a special place for me.
3. The Saturn - It's unique library of games still bring a smile to my face today and i still play it thanks to the talented work of those who are translating many of the Saturn's Japanese games.

RAIDEN1

Less said about the Saturn the better, that was a mash-up of a console which undid all the good-will the Genesis/Megadrive had built up...it still astonishes me that Sega hasn't thought about bringing out a Dreamcast Mini...with the exclusive title to it being a fully fleshed out Daytona 2...

Faithless83

Banned
1 - Genesis
Diverse library and so many memorable IPs. Probably the sega console I've spent more hours playing.
2 - Saturn/Dreamcast tied
I grew up in the arcades and both were the "arcade heaven" at home.
Dreamcast had so many unique games (Crazy sega at its finest) and Phantasy Star Online is still a game I play from time to time (just one more TTF run on a modded Xbox).
Saturn had so many great arcade ports and RPGs. Now we have translations to english poping up from time to time: Princess Crown, Grandia and Lunar on its way and recently Sakura Taisen.
3 - Game Gear
My first sega console and so many good memories playing to death my 3 favorite games in it: Sonic 1, Hallley Wars and G-loc.
4 - Master System.
Even though its library wasn't as diverse as the NES one, it had a lot of gems that I still play from time to time.

SEGA was really something else in the 90's and early 2000. Let's hope they start porting some arcade exclusives to consoles soon.

ajim

4) Game Gear - I have Blue edition GG and a few dozen titles. Unfortunately its no where near my favorite portable handhelds like the GBA SP and NGPC.
Pretty much spot on with your ranking and reasons.

Saber

Gold Member
1 - Master System - good library of games and some impressive ports for such a system

2 - Mega Drive - Same as Master System, has legendary titles like S3K. Some games didn't seems to be that special though.

3 - Saturn - its kinda of impressive in its own way. It isn't powerfull, but there some peculiar games on it. Has Shinning Force 3.

I think it's probably a bit difficult to really "rank" them against one another, so...

MegaDrive/Genesis: My first home gaming console and by virtue also my first SEGA gaming console. Loved this bad boy, and still do. There's still a lingering misconception that it's a "Sonic and sports games" machine but that couldn't really be further from the truth.

The system has so much to offer in terms of platformers, action-platformers, run-and-guns, shmups, puzzlers, strategy, and even quite a few really good racers, fighters, JRPGs, action-RPGs etc. Its most impressive games, like Sonic 2 and 3 (and Knuckles), Guardian Heroes, Alien Soldier, Phantasy Star IV, Beyond Oasis, ThunderForce IV, Gaires, Castlevania: Bloodlines etc., are among some of the absolute best games of that entire generation and easily hold their own against SNES's heavyweights in terms of quality.

I'd be quite envious of multi-system owners in this gen because you really got the best of both worlds if you had a SNES and Genesis (and for extra fun, if you had a Turbographx/PC-Engine as well. Neo Geo was the bee's knees in terms of lavishness but well outside of most gamers' budgets).

Saturn:
I never got a chance to pick up a Saturn during commercial relevance and while I did eventually buy one off Ebay, my playtime with it's been through emulation. However I think this is really an underrated console especially when you factor in the Japanese output (a lot of the best ones that can be played today thanks to fan translations).

Some of SEGA's best 1st-party content came out during this system's lifespan. Games like Shining the Holy Ark, Dragon Force, Dragon Force II, Shining Force III, Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Panzer Dragoon Saga, not to mention some excellent arcade ports like VF2, Sega Rally, Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Dynamite Cop etc., and even simpler games like Magic Knight RayEarth which were fun Zelda-like games in their own right.

It's a 2D titan and has a shit-ton of beastly 2D fighter support from companies like Capcom and SNK, too, and more than a few original offerings that give it its own flair, like Enemy Zero (which had maybe the biggest "fuck you" move in a game reveal the industry's ever seen or will ever see. RIP Kenji Eno).

Dreamcast: This is still probably the one SEGA system I have the least amount of hands-on time with, outside of playing some of the games on other platforms like Crazy Taxi. There's definitely a lot here I know I would like if I got my hands-on time with them, such as D2, Skies of Arcadia, the Space Channel games, etc.

In any case, this was probably SEGA at their most zany in terms of creativity, and that bled over to their early 3rd-party offerings once they started making games for PS2, Xbox and Gamecube (many of those would've been Dreamcast games had the system stuck around, FWIW). I wish it had stuck around longer, but it is what it is. Regardless, it was also a very impacting system for what it helped set up for the industry going forward (most of which we'd see the OG Xbox expand upon; in a lot of ways OG Xbox did feel like Dreamcast's spiritual successor which is probably why it's a lot of people's favorite Xbox system).

mutt765

1. Dreamcast
2. Genesis

Only one I owned was the Dreamcast, I decided I had to have it after playing Soul Calibur at a friend's house and it ended up being one of my favorite systems ever. I included the Genesis because I used to play that at the same friend's house, but it just didn't grab me like the Dreamcast did.

Soodanim

Gold Member
1. Mega Drive
2. Master System

A short list that didn't take much consideration, but I stand by it. Master System had my first games, but Mega Drive had the best games.

Top Bottom