• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege free DLC (Operation: Black Ice) out today

KodaRuss

Played a few games tonight with the new operators and got the last kill of the last game I played tonight with a Frost bear trap. It was awesome.

Buck kinda sucks imo (really needs a grip on his AR, spread is awful) but the bear trap and sub machine gun Frost has rocks.

Mentok

Banned
Man those bear traps are hard to see...kind of weird that neither Twitch's drone nor Thatcher's EMP grenade disable them. There's a few changes I hope are still coming:
Kapkan glitch (said to be working on it).
Ranked lag (and the inevitable kick). Today it was so bad, I just couldn't play it. In fact, I have yet to complete a ranked game without someone lagging out.
Weapon skins purchases. I hate how it's per gun. If I buy a skin, I should be able to use it one whatever gun I like (probably not going to happen)!

Have they removed the username icon for when someone is speaking? Normally when I talk my name appears on the right of the screen now it doesn't.
Yeah, i can't see my own headset icon anymore. I can see the icons of others when they speak though.

Shit. Now i don't really know when mine is on or off.

Someone in a round earlier was saying the new operators are going to be 20k renown. Is that right?

25k everyone has been saying.

Loving the update. Haven't had a chance to play the new map in multiplayer yet but loving the V Sync option on PS4 and the new menu/loading screen art. Situations and terrorist hunt felt awful before but it's really great now. Tearing sucks but having better responsiveness more than makes up for it imo.

majik13

Anybody finding the game more buggy now. Or at least 1 major bug. Played for maybe 3 hours last night, and there were about 4 matches where there were black textured character models in the default pose position floating over or in the middle of everyone. And would stay floating after dieing. Made it really hard to hide, and hard to tell where to actually shoot someone. Even if you ducked or proned, the model was still floating above you.

Also seemed I was seeing a lot more lag, and was constantly getting insta killed. Even though I had the lowest or near lowest ping out of everyone. Buddy was seeing the same thing.

dugdug

Banned
Anyone else constantly losing connection to games on XB1? I wasn't counting, but, I'd say I lost connection to about half of the games I got into last night. Don't have this problem with either Halo or BO3, which are also in rotation, so, I might have to trade this one in if it keeps up.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Anybody finding the game more buggy now. Or at least 1 major bug. Played for maybe 3 hours last night, and there were about 4 matches where there were black textured character models in the default pose position floating over or in the middle of everyone. And would stay floating after dieing. Made it really hard to hide, and hard to tell where to actually shoot someone. Even if you ducked or proned, the model was still floating above you.

Also seemed I was seeing a lot more lag, and was constantly getting insta killed. Even though I had the lowest or near lowest ping out of everyone. Buddy was seeing the same thing.

Seems to be a more console related issue as I played for a few hours yesterday on PC and never saw the black texture models and performance is better than before the patch. I'm seeing about a ~5-10 fps increase across the board.

Frost is an amazing addition to the operator roster. Buck...not so much. Still, I'm loving how balanced the game feels.

Miker

Seems to be a more console related issue as I played for a few hours yesterday on PC and never saw the black texture models and performance is better than before the patch. I'm seeing about a ~5-10 fps increase across the board.

Frost is an amazing addition to the operator roster. Buck...not so much. Still, I'm loving how balanced the game feels.

Really? I'm actually seeing the new map run worse than the vanilla ones.

RobNBanks

Banned
Man those bear traps are hard to see...kind of weird that neither Twitch's drone nor Thatcher's EMP grenade disable them. There's a few changes I hope are still coming:
Kapkan glitch (said to be working on it).
Ranked lag (and the inevitable kick). Today it was so bad, I just couldn't play it. In fact, I have yet to complete a ranked game without someone lagging out.
Weapon skins purchases. I hate how it's per gun. If I buy a skin, I should be able to use it one whatever gun I like (probably not going to happen)!

it's not an electronic, why would an emp grenade do anything to a bear trap?

Klyka

Banned

Buck is absolutely fantastic.
His shotgun is insanely lethal and being able to use him for sniping as well as close combat, with a crazy damage/accurate shotgun that reloads faster than an assault rifle is....just awesome.

Caayn

The Season Pass is so damn stupid. I can't believe this is a thing.
I'm really happy that the Season Pass for R6S is as it is.

No gameplay content is locked behind, so that it doesn't splinter the community. More companies should follow this route imo.

You should be happy it's a thing, considering it's probably a funding/revenue source for additional content.

I'm really happy that the Season Pass for R6S is as it is.

No gameplay content is locked behind, so that it doesn't splinter the community. More companies should follow this route imo.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. It's good that they don't separate the community by charging for maps or anything like that, but the Season Pass quite literally builds on made up value. They made an unnecessary gap between the Season Pass-players and the standard players. A loss for both sides.

Just take a look at how they are trying to sell this thing.

- "2 extra daily challenges" isn't even accurate. It only adds 2 more slots, which isn't useful at all.
- "5% Renown boost" is what it is, not a big deal. Things like this shouldn't exist at all, but when they're giving you this it's like a middle finger to everyone; fuck the economic system in the game & fuck your value. Not something I'd want from a Season Pass for $35.
- "NEW OPERATORS" is true for everyone.
- "7-day exclusive access to 8 all-new Operators" is a made up advantage, and is silly at best. Doesn't mean all that much.
- "600 R6 Credits" is basically nothing, esp. considering what you're paying for the Season Pass.
- "6 PREMIUM WEAPON SKINS" is the only thing that holds actual value, which also could've been sold separately.

The Season Pass is practically 6 skins for $35. To me, that's not a great way to monetize a multiplayer game. In fact, it's a terrible way.

Klyka

Banned
The Season Pass is basically

Ubisoft: "Everyone has a season pass, so make one"
Devs: "We don't want to split the community at all"
Ubisoft: "Ok, fine, but we still want a season pass, just do SOMETHING with it."
Devs: "Ok. We also don't want any pay to win."
Ubisoft: "Alright fine, just make any season pass and any microtransactions. We don't care anymore so long as there is something like that in it."
Devs: "Alright, we'll make them as useless as possible though!"
Ubisoft "Whatever"

And then we got this.

Yeah, it's the least "essential" Season Pass there is if you're a regular player. I can see players picking it up for the R6 credits (that's a couple XP boosters right there) and access to Operators, though.

RobNBanks

Banned
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. It's good that they don't separate the community by charging for maps or anything like that, but the Season Pass quite literally builds on made up value. They made an unnecessary gap between the Season Pass-players and the standard players. A loss for both sides.

- "2 extra daily challenges" isn't even accurate. It only adds 2 more slots, which isn't useful at all.
- "5% Renown boost" is what it is, not a big deal. Things like this shouldn't exist at all, but when they're giving you this it's like a middle finger to everyone; fuck the economic system in the game & fuck your value. Not something I'd want from a Season Pass for $35.
- "7-day exclusive access to 8 all-new Operators" is a made up advantage, and is silly at best. Doesn't mean all that much.
- "600 R6 Credits" is basically nothing, esp. considering what you're paying for the Season Pass.
- "6 PREMIUM WEAPON SKINS" is the only thing that holds actual value, which also could've been sold separately.

The Season Pass is practically 6 skins for $35. To me, that's not a great way to monetize a multiplayer game. In fact, it's a terrible way.

so then what should the season pass be? because anything else seems like it would split up the community

Grimsen

You forgot the 200 000 renown you don't need to use to buy the operators. For some, like me, it was the main draw of the season pass.

25,000 - typo?

Nah, I just multiplied by 8.

The Season Pass is basically

Ubisoft: "Everyone has a season pass, so make one"
Devs: "We don't want to split the community at all"
Ubisoft: "Ok, fine, but we still want a season pass, just do SOMETHING with it."
Devs: "Ok. We also don't want any pay to win."
Ubisoft: "Alright fine, just make any season pass and any microtransactions. We don't care anymore so long as there is something like that in it."
Devs: "Alright, we'll make them as useless as possible though!"
Ubisoft "Whatever"

And then we got this.

And from the other side:

*Season pass offers exclusive content that splits the community and basically requires you to buy it to keep up to date with the game*
Gamers: Developer is ripping us off! Nickel and diming us on a full price game!

Dev: Okay so

*Season pass offers bonus stuff that is not gameplay crucial and does not split the community, actual new content ends up being free for everyone anyway*
Gamers: Season pass is a ripoff! Bad value!

You can't win.

GametimeUK

Free DLC is awesome! Have the connectivity issues been fixed? I have been kind of obsessed with the thought of buying this on my PS4.

And from the other side:

*Season pass offers exclusive content that splits the community and basically requires you to buy it to keep up to date with the game*
Gamers: Developer is ripping us off! Nickel and diming us on a full price game!

Dev: Okay so

*Season pass offers bonus stuff that is not gameplay crucial and does not split the community, actual new content ends up being free for everyone anyway*
Gamers: Season pass is a ripoff! Bad value!

You can't win.

Exactly. Id rather put up with the small few vocal gamers complaining about the "value" of something you ABSOLUTELY don't have to buy to get all the important content in the game, than to pay an extra $30 on top of my $60 investment just so I can use new crucial content going forward. I say let them be salty, i'll take my free post launch content thank you..

Archpath1

If it was 20 bucks that would a sweet spot

But oh well

It's optional

You can always drop some cash for a booster to farm points then

Mentok

Banned

Ahh yeah the Jesus pose...saw that twice last night...before I got disconnected (on PS4).

it's not an electronic, why would an emp grenade do anything to a bear trap?

Shit forgot it's not electronic....oops! How many bullets does it take to kill the trap?

Clydebink

Neo Member
Do how do you get rid of bear-traps if you don't have grenades?
Also, is Frost straight up better than Kapkan? Or does he have better guns?

Simo

Shoot them?

I think Kapkan is better from what I saw. Frost only has 2 traps from the looks of it too. The Frost players I encountered last night with me or against me were pretty terrible though, like they kept placing the traps in plain view and never got anybody.

Klyka

Banned

You shoot them.

Frost is different to Kapkan, not better.
She has a great Shotgun and 2/2 armor/speed.
Her traps work fantasticly for securing windows.

Kapkan is a 3/1 armor/speed, meaning he takes more punishment in a firefight.
His SMG is pretty sweet.
His traps work better on doors inside the buildings and the explosions can kill multiple people.

Both are viable.
Both in a team together turn a building in a trap fortress while they roam around and flank you.

Shoot them?

I think Kapkan is better from what I saw. Frost only has 2 traps from the looks of it too. The Frost players I encountered last night with me or against me were pretty terrible though, like they kept placing the traps in plain view and never got anybody.

Frost has three traps.

Here is a little video I made today giving some small tips for Frost's traps I discovered with a friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j3iQCq5P8A

so then what should the season pass be? because anything else seems like it would split up the community

Why should there be a Season Pass at all?

--

I'd love for this game to be alive 6 months into the future, and it doesn't look like they have the competence to pull that off honestly. It looks more and more like a cautious cash grab than anything else.

You forgot the 200 000 renown you don't need to use to buy the operators. For some, like me, it was the main draw of the season pass.

Yeah, that's another made up wall they had to create to boost the incentive to buy a useless Season Pass. As I said, a loss for everyone, since it will separate the community anyway, although temporarily.

Grimsen

Yeah, that's another made up wall they had to create to boost the incentive to buy a useless Season Pass. As I said, a loss for everyone, since it will separate the community anyway, although temporarily.

Meh, they have to keep paying devs for post launch stuff somehow.

You also have a weird definition of community split, because I see none in Siege.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
You shoot them.

Frost is different to Kapkan, not better.
She has a great Shotgun and 2/2 armor/speed.
Her traps work fantasticly for securing windows.

Kapkan is a 3/1 armor/speed, meaning he takes more punishment in a firefight.
His SMG is pretty sweet.
His traps work better on doors inside the buildings and the explosions can kill multiple people.

Both are viable.
Both in a team together turn a building in a trap fortress while they roam around and flank you.

Frost has three traps.

Here is a little video I made today giving some small tips for Frost's traps I discovered with a friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j3iQCq5P8A

Nicely done. Excellent music choice.

This thread made me buy the game on PC. Reading up and learning as much as I can (also purchases a way for my mic to work on my PC).

I got to play my first match earlier and it was immediately on the new Yacht map. It was fun, but we lost. More learning...

ekgrey

So I got a code for the season pass for free through Nvidia and redeemed it to my Uplay account. However, I don't have the base game yet. Hoping to pick it up soon. When I do, will the SP show up, or should I have waited to redeem it?

Meh, they have to keep paying devs for post launch stuff somehow.

You also have a weird definition of community split, because I see none in Siege.

Of course, but there are certainly better ways to do it.

Community split = when only a certain group of players have access to a specific set of maps/modes.

Naturally, after this 7 day delay, you have to pay the credits/renown required in order to access these maps which kind of creates a new barrier for these communities.

Klyka

Banned

Community split = when only a certain group of players have access to a specific set of maps/modes.

Naturally, after this 7 day delay, you have to pay the credits/renown required in order to access these maps which kind of creates a new barrier for these communities.

What exactly are you talking about?

Everyone has access to all maps and modes IMMEDIATELY.

Season pass holders get the OPERATORS 7 days early.

That's it.

Please :-*

What are you talking about? For the last time the community does not get split in this game..There is nothing stoping you from unlocking everything the season pass buyers can get(Maps/Operators), outside of some cosmetics that do absolutely nothing to alter the game..Theres a season pass to keep the payroll going for people churning in hours updating and play testing post launch, you don't have to buy it..

I think overall this was a good patch. Kudos to them. I am getting the black weapon with Thermite, Ash, and Twitch.

Top Bottom