• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege free DLC (Operation: Black Ice) out today

Not cheap enough for a PC game. The beta really spoiled me on spending over $10 for it

I couldn't even find a game after multiple tries during the betas. Had no intention of buying it then and now I'm a convert here to spread the gospel of Rainbow 6. Someone said it was 28 bucks at Best Buy.

I'm not on PC however. I only buy games I'll never play for <$10 on PC or like 10 games I'll never play for a dollar in a Humble Bundle.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
I am so fucking happy to see JTF2 in Siege. Got a nice chuckle seeing the Quebec flag on Buck too; I bet he bleeds poutine from La Belle Province. Cannot wait to die with both new Operators tonight.

Frost est ma femme

It's clearly set at a price that makes people want to purchase them with real money, while also giving them the ability to say everything added will be free to everyone.

I'm not sure why you keep ignoring my responses.

You have to play ~4 hours a week to earn enough renown "naturally" to purchase them. That's a pretty reasonable expectation for a fan of the game.

I'd argue that the week-long exclusivity is more of a driver for Season Pass/R6 credit sales, rather than the cost. Most players I know have 20k+ renown already.

You do own/play Siege, right?

It's clearly set at a price that makes people want to purchase them with real money, while also giving them the ability to say everything added will be free to everyone.

It's set at a price that you'll have no problem having enough xp for if you are even playing semi regularly. I've played almost every day since release and have enough for them 3 times over.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It's set at a price that you'll have no problem having enough xp for if you are even playing semi regularly. I've played almost every day since release and have enough for them 3 times over.

And what about the person who joins with this pack or a later one? They don't have two months of banked renown to get new operators.

thenexus6

Have they removed the username icon for when someone is speaking? Normally when I talk my name appears on the right of the screen now it doesn't.

noomi

So fucking good, free DLC is best DLC...

what's the point of even buying the season pass though... seriously? What advantage other than getting operators 7 days early is there?

And what about the person who joins with this pack or a later one? They don't have two months of banked renown to get new operators.

They can play with one of the other 20 operators until they have enough. Unless the new ones are OP I don't see it as a big problem. It's not a perfect solution (everything should just be open right away for it to be perfect) but it's miles and miles better than them being paid only like they would be in many other games.

Predicting this thread to be like every other non-OT siege thread though where now the discussion is about the game being pay to win or full of microtransactions because giantbomb told me so.

Enilced2

Well they can play a bunch of this game and buy them with renown or they can buy the season pass or they can buy them individually with credits. There are options.

So fucking good, free DLC is best DLC...

what's the point of even buying the season pass though... seriously? What advantage other than getting operators 7 days early is there?

You also get them without having to grind renown.

The new operators at 25,000 each so I see the appeal of just buying them.

For those interested in Street Fighter V, expect a similar (probably greater) grind for those 'free' DLC characters, too.

Simo

Lol I have 150k just from playing the game so I'm all good to get them next week.

That map...

Did mention anything about the Castle shield glitch being fixed?

hollerphonix

Neo Member
After a week or so of playing I find it hard to imagine that anyone that has put decent time into this game could honestly bring up pay to win in reference to this game. You could buy the season pass but the renown boost you get is insanely small. And in reality the skill level needed to be viable in this game can't be paid for. I'm still now great, ask any of the gaffers that I've played with, but I continue to get better and learn what role I fit in on each team and how each operator can fit my play style. Yeah it's nice to get stuff for "free" (no renown) and early but even then there isn't any true player base split it's all dependent on how much you want the new operators and how much work you're willing to put in for it. If there's a more reasonable way for new operators to get added without splitting (while still having a season pass or whatever) the user base id be interested in hearing it.

I have been defending the game but 25k renown for each new operator is a lot.

I don't care what bullshit stats they come out with about average playtime. That's a big time commitment farming renown for a lot of people if they want to access this account. They know what they are doing and they know this will push Season Pass/Renown boosters sales.

For those interested in Street Fighter V, expect a similar (probably greater) grind for those 'free' DLC characters, too.

Yup. Luckily there is no one in the DLC group that I want or use. Cammy is my main.

noomi

You also get them without having to grind renown.

The new operators at 25,000 each so I see the appeal of just buying the

Sorry, a bit confused by your post.

The new operators are instantly unlocked without the need to purchase with renown? For everyone or just season pass owners? They cost 25,000 renown?!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

The new operators are instantly unlocked without the need to purchase with renown? For everyone or just season pass owners? They cost 25,000 renown?!

Season Pass owners get them today and are free, everyone else can unlock them in a week for 25k each.

RhyDin

Lol I have 150k just from playing the game so I'm all good to get them next week.

That map...

Did mention anything about the Castle shield glitch being fixed?

I can confirm it is fixed. It lets you place it in the doorway, but you can now vault over it.

Kapkan laser glitch is still there. Tried to do something similar with the bear trap and couldn't find any immediate glitches with it.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
Initially and still to a degree agree that 25k is a lot but in context I've played the game over the weekend (got it on Friday) by the end of the weekend I probably blew through 25k alone and honestly that only playing Saturday. While the 50% boost over the weekend helped it doesn't speak for the fact that being a new player I wasn't getting as much as a more experienced players would. So if I can manage my way towards that amount it wouldn't be crazy to get that amount with a little time and effort

No prob:

For season pass owners you get the operators a week early and instantly, you don't have to spend renown to get them. They are already unlocked as soon as they are released to pass owners.

For everyone else the operators are released a week after season pass owners get access to them, and they are 25,000 renown each.

Season pass owners.

25k is lot of renown but also certainly doable. I don't see the problem.

noomi

Season Pass owners get them today and are free, everyone else can unlock them in a week for 25k each.

No prob:

For season pass owners you get the operators a week early and instantly, you don't have to spend renown to get them. They are already unlocked as soon as they are released to pass owners.

For everyone else the operators are released a week after season pass owners get access to them, and they are 25,000 renown each.

Season pass owners.

Thanks for the clarification guys. Damn this might actually entice me to buy the season pass now.

I don't have all the regular operators unlocked, 25K renown is going to take me a damn long time to get. I'm a completely casual player that can only put in an hour or two of game-time every few nights...

All these fixes and there's still no goddamn reconnect to match button.

I love being prohibited from playing this game for 15 minutes because the game crashed on me, and I LOOOOOOVE not being able to just join back in like in every other 5v5 competitive game of this sort ever released

I have been defending the game but 25k renown for each new operator is a lot.

I don't care what bullshit stats they come out with about average playtime. That's a big time commitment farming renown for a lot of people if they want to access this account. They know what they are doing and they know this will push Season Pass/Renown boosters sales..

For the hardcore players, most already had more than enough saved up from playing to buy these new operators since they unlocked everything else already.

It's a high number yes, but they have to put a barrier of entry depending on how late the content is released.

Same exact thing with MMO content released later on, they have to take into account players have been accumulating currency with nothing to spend it on.

Season pass owners.

I think 25k just feels like so much when you first start playing or are still in the mentality that you need to unlock every operator and every attachment. When it's really just a waste of renown if you're not going to be using them and aren't swimming in it yet. People should be unlocking based on play style and team needs. There's not much reason to spend renown even on the new or old operators if they don't fit you right.

Reule

Have they removed the username icon for when someone is speaking? Normally when I talk my name appears on the right of the screen now it doesn't.
It seems they have. I don't see an icon for when I speak either.

Anyone have a glitch where when you lay a Welcome Mat as Frost, you have a man's voice.

aaay now i remember why i haven't been playing this game as much lately

because there's always those two or three assholes who don't understand that they're not playing call of fucking duty

and just leave one round into ranked because they're losers

i haven't had a full 5v5 match in days and it's legit starting to bother me enough that I don't want to play the game at all anymore.

Siddiqui

Tons of changes. I like the spawn selection changes. One thing they didn't mention in the notes though - I'm pretty sure sledge now swings his hammer faster.

RdN

Does this update include the ability to select data centers on consoles?

I'm fucking tired of lag.

I find this hard to believe. I've played more or less every night since release with a week break over the holiday, bought a ton of skins, all the operator and attatchments and still have 60k. I'm no star player either.

That's really strange--Ranked actually gives more renown than Casual and the matches typically last a lot longer, giving you more renown overall.

I got back from vacation in early Jan and saw that my roomie blew all my renown--only had 2000. About 2.5 weeks later, I had over 25k. I think I have over 50k now but I haven't played much at all these past two weeks.

I should count up my operator in game time cause maybe I'm wrong but there were weeks where this is all I played. I've bought every operator, a few attachments and no skins. Hovering around 39k renown when I stopped last night. I'm at a loss how everyone says its no problem.

DeaDPo0L84

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm concerned about the spectator camera. Does this mean someone's friend can join their game as a spectator in a casual/ranked match and basically relay all the enemy positions?

And, again, 50% bonus weekends can go a LONG way to boosting your renown.

I couldn't play last weekend. :(

I play on Xbox One. Given, I don't wander into ranked matches much but I usually always find games easily. The only problem I had was finding folks for Article 5 in Situations mode.

Yeah, no problems here. Article 5 is the only issue (outside of when they have had server problems), the community on X1 is fine.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm concerned about the spectator camera. Does this mean someone's friend can join their game as a spectator in a casual/ranked match and basically relay all the enemy positions?

Spectator cam only on custom games right now. So no?

and then like five instances in a row of waiting for 5 minutes to matchmake only to get the (0x000000000000000000000000060) error

i wish i could get a refund. i really love the gameplay but there's so much getting in the way of me just booting this fucking thing up and having a good experience with it that i'm just done

majik13

What about custom games prevents that? I'm still new to the game.

custom games are with friends(invite only?) I assume. No matchmaking. To prevent that, don't have shitty friends I guess?

and then like five instances in a row of waiting for 5 minutes to matchmake only to get the (0x000000000000000000000000060) error

i wish i could get a refund. i really love the gameplay but there's so much getting in the way of me just booting this fucking thing up and having a good experience with it that i'm just done

Ive found that if you are waiting for more than a minute to find other players, its best to just back out and start again. If its going to work it usually works within the first 20 secs or though. But you could have some other issues going on.

Top Bottom