• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Game Evolution 1998 - 2022

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Game Evolution Presents: Evolution of Rainbow Six Games. The History of the series begins in 1998 to 2022 starting with the original game that released multiple systems including PS1 and Nintendo 64. This video showcases all Rainbow Six games including the classic PC games and console exclusive titles.

0:06 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (1998) PS1, Dreamcast, N64, Game Boy Color, PC
0:26 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Mission Pack: Eagle Watch (1998) Dreamcast, N64, PC
0:47 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear (2000) PS1, Dreamcast, GBA, PC
1:07 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Covert Ops Essentials (2000) PC
1:28 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear Mission Pack - Urban Operations (2001) PC
1:49 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Take-Down: Missions in Korea (2001) PC
2:10 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear - Black Thorn (2001) PC
2:31 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lone Wolf (2002) PS1
2:54 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (2003) PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, PC
3:14 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Athena Sword (2003) PC
3:35 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow (2004) XBOX
3:55 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Iron Wrath (2005) PC
4:16 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown (2005) PS2, Gamecube, XBOX, PC
4:37 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Critical Hour (2006) XBOX
4:57 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (2006) Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, PC
5:17 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (2008) Xbox 360, PS3, PC
5:38 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (2015) PS4, Xbox One, PC
5:58 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Extraction (2022) PS5, Xbox Series X, PC

Rainbow six Vegas and the multiplayer was the peak for the series to me. Siege was very good at the beginning, but right now is a cringe festival.

jaysius

Banned
Devolution is more like it.

There are so many stupid operators in Seige and so much overlap, it’s gotten real dumb. Want to jump back in after 6 months out? Better read up on alll the nerfs and dumb operator changes and new ones with new gadgets.

We need Siege to die and we need Vegas or something sensible back.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
While I still enjoy Siege a lot and have over 2k hours into it, I do agree that it's not a good Rainbow Six game.

I do think there's room for Siege and another Vegas style game though. No need for Siege to die. Hell even a remaster of Vegas and Vegas 2 (or even the older titles for that matter) would be great.

Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon. They aren't what they used to be and it's a damn shame.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Only Ubisoft could take one of the trend setting and unique franchises in video games and transform it into the most generic type of content possible based on following trends in other popular titles.

Anyone remember Rainbow Six 3 on OG Xbox? I have extremely fond memories of all players abusing the hit box glitch where you would lean and crouch and basically need to shoot as if they were standing up right. Still a fantastic game even with the glitches.

I remember Black Arrow coming out and basically changing xbox live, there were new features added to the platform for the game. Amazing times!

Ubisoft, go back and review all of those classics and build a game based on that. Forget about fucking skins and stupid looking characters and make a proper tactical shooter.

GymWolf

Who like me played the shit out of of rs3 and black arrow expansion online on og xbox?!

First and last time i played a rainbow six (and never even started the campaign lol).

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Only Ubisoft could take one of the trend setting and unique franchises in video games and transform it into the most generic type of content possible based on following trends in other popular titles.

You can call Siege many things, but generic?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You can call Siege many things, but generic?

I don't think it's a coincidence that the "operators" with unique abilities came at a time when Hero Shooters with characters with unique abilities where the big thing, followed by going "all in" on Esports from launch. I will say the breaching mechanic is unique in what is an otherwise CS clone in terms of how maps and objectives are designed.

However I put that down to it being an existing thing already in the game which was retooled once Ubisoft management forced the studio to refocus and make a GAAS title, as breaching is used in the other series titles. I will give them credit for not being an open world game though.

Last edited:

salva

Rainbow six 3 was the pinnacle.
Lockdown was the first sign of the series becoming less tactical and more of a generic shooter... Vegas slightly redeemed itself, but lost too much of what made rogue spear/Raven Shield great.
Patriots getting canned and turning into siege was the nail in the coffin saying goodbye to what was one of the best tactical shooter series.

Ozrimandias

Rainbow Six De-Volution

But Ubisoft didn't stop right there with this franchise, they devolutionized almost every game in the Tom Clancy's family, if not, they just didn't deliver another entry....just like Splinter Cell.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
We’ll see what the next rainbow six is it could be good a lot of people have taken issue with the characters but I think the problem is abandoning terrorist hunt and traditional edit characters. Rainbow six’s backbone is as you know stealth, cqc. Engineering close quarter combat is a welcomed changed.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

For over 20 years, we’ve been tactically sneaking and breaching our way through numerous Rainbow Six games such as Rainbow Six Siege, Rogue Spear, and Rainbow Six Vegas. Now there’s a new take on the franchise: Rainbow Six Extraction, which takes elite operators and pitts them against an alien threat. But how did we get here? Here’s the evolution of Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six.

00:24 - Rainbow Six (1998)
01:01 - Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear (1999)
01:46 - Rainbow Six: Take-Down - Missions in Korea (2001)
02:26 - Rainbow Six: Lone Wolf (2002)
03:09 - Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (2003)
04:06 - Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow (2004)
05:01 - Rainbow Six: Broken Wings (2003)
05:32 - Rainbow Six: Urban Crisis (2004)
05:53 - Rainbow Six: Lockdown (2006)
06:45 - Rainbow Six: Critical Hour (2006)
07:34 - Rainbow Six: Vegas (2006)
08:21 - Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (2008)
09:34 - Rainbow Six: Shadow Vanguard (2011)
10:51 - Rainbow 6: Patriots (Cancelled)
11:36 - Rainbow Six Siege (2015)
12:39 - Rainbow Six Extraction (2022)

Top Bottom