• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RagnarRox: Why Everyone* Was Wrong About Castlevania 64

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

There’s probably not a single game on the N64 that received so much unrightful slander as Castlevania (1999). Coming out just under a year after the template-setting Symphony of the Night, the internet hivemind, greatly helped by Koji Igarashi himself, created the meme that Castlevania on the N64 sucks, is a bad game, and a bunch of diarrhea donkey farts by doo-doo-brained developers.
Which is a load of crap, and it’s time we set the record straight.

Chapters
00:00 Act 1: Bloodlines
06:01 Sponsor
07:23 Act 2: Apocalypse & Rebirth
20:08 Act 3: Vampire Killer
32:32 Act 4: Legacy of Darkness: Demon Castles, Demon’s Souls
42:27 Act 5: Bloody Tears for Simon’s Quest

Sleepwalker

Remember picking this up as a kid from blockbuster and being mad about wasting my weekly rental on such bs. Still forced myself to play while wishing rented f zero x instead

Exede

I played this a lot back in the day and i really liked it.
I have no idea when this bonus boss fight triggered and when not... still have no idea but i remember my confusion well enough.

Banned
CV64 is a decent game. for it's time it did a lot of cool things imo. the atmosphere and the soundtrack also were really good

Kev Kev

christ almighty this guys voice in insufferable

kevin-hart-say-it-with-your-chest.gif

but i did enjoy castlevania 64 back in the day. it had a really interesting story. although i cant say i found the combat "tough as nails". i had to rent the game more than a few times to beat it but i eventually did and really enjoyed the whole game. i always wondered why there wasnt a follow up.

i remember playing something on the 360 that felt similar but never bought it as i didnt think the demo was all tat great. still tho, i have fond memories of the N64 game.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Game was pretty cool back in the day. Don’t see the problem , you have to think in the context of that time .. but most are not that objective .

I really like Castlevania 64. It's hard but fair enough overall. I believe I even beat it way back when. I still need to play the sequel which I own.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
WTF does this guy ever get to the point? I watched about 20 minutes and he keeps repeating himself and showing the same footage. I still don’t have any idea what he thinks is good about this game.

Sorry, not watching anymore of this. It just made me hate Castlevania 64 more than I already did.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
christ almighty this guys voice in insufferable

I used to work in an office where a perverted teenage kid used to call and get through our switchboard, only to end up breathing heavily, speaking just like this asshole, explaining that he's a woman that needs to be fucked.

It was a repeat thing. Had some hilarious conversations about him with the women I worked with. He would behave differently with them, either begging for fashion advice, or calling them whores and bitches.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nah at the time peoples imaginations were running wild with 3d games. Everyone wanted more adventure for this game. Puzzels.. Items.. basically everything they got in SOTN.

Nah, been there and while it's not the worse game out there, it's not a good one especially in that era of Castlevania games. Sure as hell not going to get the click fisher another view for a insincere view.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
For anyone who wants to skip the first 20 minutes, here’s a summary:

- everybody said mean things about Castlevania 64 and pushed the narrative that it was a bad, inferior game. including Igarashi

- SotN was a media darling and everybody liked it and said nice things about it

- Castlevania 64 has muddy textures but so did most N64 games so you can’t hold that against it

Honestly this dude sounds like he first played (and enjoyed) it when he was 10, and he’s spent the last 25 years stewing with rage in his parents’ basement because most people disagreed. Now he’s put together his ultimate airtight treatise and he’s ready to destroy all the haters once and for all.

jonnyXx

I enjoyed parts of it, I don't think the game was that bad but it definitely wasn't good enough to watch a 53 minute video about it.

Andyliini

I personally do find it more enjoyable than the general consensus is, but the real beef is Legacy of Darkness. That game improved on pretty much every aspect of Castlevania 64, but not many people have played it. These games should be rereleased now, as they have never been before.

Generic

It was a decent game, but the "director's cut" Legacy of Darkness was really great.

Last edited:

Generic

For anyone who wants to skip the first 20 minutes, here’s a summary:

- everybody said mean things about Castlevania 64 and pushed the narrative that it was a bad, inferior game. including Igarashi

- SotN was a media darling and everybody liked it and said nice things about it

- Castlevania 64 has muddy textures but so did most N64 games so you can’t hold that against it

Honestly this dude sounds like he first played (and enjoyed) it when he was 10, and he’s spent the last 25 years stewing with rage in his parents’ basement because most people disagreed. Now he’s put together his ultimate airtight treatise and he’s ready to destroy all the haters once and for all.
He says way more, maybe he just like the game a lot.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Castlevania 64 was excellent. That Frankenstein chase scared the shit out of me as a kid. The atmosphere of the game was steller and filled you with a sense of dread throughout. The game was not a power fantasy like many of the other Castlevanias.

Kokoloko85

The title screen music alone is GOAT

I enjoyed it, its no SOTN or Simon’s quest but it was cool to play apart from the frustrating camera angles and controls lol. The PS2 3D games were alot better.

My friend got an earlier copy because his dad did some work for Konami lmao. Like something to do with Laws/Copyright for PAL region. I didn’t believe him until he brought it into class the next day :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Almost as good as his uncle working for Konami :p

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I thought it was pretty shit back when it released. People weren’t wrong about it, and I’m not giving some YouTube nobody a click.

I guess if you were a kid at the time there’s some nostalgia going on. But the game wasn’t good. Especially after the sublime SoTN.

BlackTron

It was one of those games that happened as the dev was grappling with making a 3D game for the first time on the 64. Many of these devs had merit and some of that merit ended up in the end product despite a lot of "growing pains". More attention had to go into just making a game in 3D at all than the finer details and extent of content. (Modern take: Nintendo using up all their stat points on BOTW's map with none left for dungeons, LOL).

Objectively Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire is severely flawed and janky, but it's still one of those games I'll just always like. Was there at the time, played it a lot, liked it for what it was...an early N64 game like Castlevania lol.

WTF does this guy ever get to the point? I watched about 20 minutes and he keeps repeating himself and showing the same footage. I still don’t have any idea what he thinks is good about this game.

This is one of my biggest peeves about indie YouTube videogame reviewers. I tried watching one for an import-only game I was interested in checking out because people said the review was good, but it was a video longer than an actual playthrough of the game, which wouldn't be so bad in and of itself if the game was short (It's not. At least, not a 30-minute arcade romp by any means) or if the first 40 minutes weren't full of references to barely-related subject matter, such as shamelessly promoting the guy's other reviews or shilling his patreon - you know, the stuff you usually do in the end of the video in under 3 minutes. I tuned out before I ever actually managed to hear any of the guy's talking points about the game itself.

Top Bottom