• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE 2 |OT| My name is Walker. My world is fire and pink.

halfHedge

Neo Member
So I tried to buy this expansion today and it reminded me to NEVER again purchase something for the Bethesda launcher. It is a pain in the fucking ass.
I regret not buying it on steam originally.
You can't buy it through the damn launcher, you have to go in-game and then get directed to your browser. And you can't purchase it directly, you have to buy "Rage Coins" first.
I bailed at the last step.

Really enjoying this game. Yes, it's one of those open world games where you just go around completing different versions of the same types of missions, but the gunplay is so smooth and satisfying that it's fun to just go around kicking ass and clearing out hostile bases. And I like that everything only takes about 5-10 minutes to complete, which makes for smooth pacing. You never get that "Uggghh another one of these I have to spend time and go through" feeling that I would get when coming across one of the 200 dungeons in Elder Scrolls that take 45 minutes each.

Also, one of the common complaints is that the world feels empty, but there's constantly different factions fighting each other all of the map with explosions and gunshots often heard and seen in the distance. Makes you feel like you're in world of anarchy as the game advertises. Not to mention there's good variety in the game world from deserts to swamps to canyons, etc.

So yeah, the game provides a simple but effective formula, which is refreshing among the usual overly dense and drawn-out open world games. My only complaint (besides the bugs) is the significant effort to make everyone in the game ugly. Doesn't fit with the overall fun vibe of the world and comes off very forced.

Thx for impressions! It's on sale on XBL I'm gonna have to pick this up.

highrider

Banned
Got this for 20 at Best Buy, I was sold on the gameplay and I’m actually not hating on the driving but it’s not great. The actual FPS part with the powers is crazy fun. YMMV on whether the obvious lack of polish, bugs, terrible menus, cookie cutter open world, aren’t super irritating to you then give it a go for sure. At 20 I’m happy.

Last edited:
I picked it up on black Friday and put it down after 5-6 hours. When I found out to progress the main story you have to drive around that boring ass open world doing the same repetitive stuff I tapped out. The shooting and power up's were a ton of fun but there was nothing to the game itself.

I think Rage as a series might have some potential if they ditched the open world shtick. I don't see a point in doing open world if it's lifeless, boring and forgettable. Making a game based around the great core mechanics and a solid campaign would probably be a wise move if they want to move forward with this franchise.

FeldMonster

I love this game. Easily my game of 2019. It is like Doom 2016, but fun, as it has actual weapons, cool powers, and does't have those lame, forced, repetitive melee kills.

I don't really understand the criticism about the driving. Once you get used to single thumbstick driving it is quite easy and fun (remember to both boost and power slide, which the game unfortunately does not teach you). Also, the game will drive the car for you if you press left on the D-pad, so criticism about the empty world and forced traversal is moot.

Last edited:
I picked it up on black Friday and put it down after 5-6 hours. When I found out to progress the main story you have to drive around that boring ass open world doing the same repetitive stuff I tapped out. The shooting and power up's were a ton of fun but there was nothing to the game itself.

I think Rage as a series might have some potential if they ditched the open world shtick. I don't see a point in doing open world if it's lifeless, boring and forgettable. Making a game based around the great core mechanics and a solid campaign would probably be a wise move if they want to move forward with this franchise.
It's worse when you realize that it is like that because the game only has 8 story missions without the DLC so they had to add length somehow!

HotPocket69

Banned
Just grabbed the deluxe version with that new DLC added for $26 via that March PSN sale

I need to shoot more fools coming off of Doom Eternal

And there’s a dash in this? Fuck yeah son 🥳

Last edited:

Ixion

Just grabbed the deluxe version with that new DLC added for $26 via that March PSN sale

Yeah, if you just want to go around and shoot shit with really good Doom-like gunplay, then this game is great for that. Similar to the first Rage game, the main story is very short and forgettable., while the meat of the game is actually the litany of enemy bases/etc around the map to go around and fuck up.

Crank difficulty to ultra until you get to the end faction and lower it down a notch. Fck all the story and characters, its a fun open world shooter. Also, the DLC, you can tell Bethesda had nothing to do with it. Its basically the storyline from Nic Cage movie, The Rock and the ending is a little bittersweet.

GHG

Gold Member
It didn't take long for this to drop to 67% off

It's not even worth that.

I got about 5 hours in via gamepass and I felt like I'd seen everything.

One of the most uninspired open worlds all generation. Copy/paste locations, copy paste strange tower things that you have to destroy, crappy driving controls on PC, terrible story/characters.

The only saving grace is the fact that the combat is fun but even with that you can unlock all the new abilities/weapons very quickly so there's not much new to see/do. Oh, and the graphics are fantastic maxed out on PC.

It really shouldn't have been open world and it's a crying shame because that shotgun... man that shotgun... its up there with the best in all of gaming. The game really shines in the Mutant Arena missions but outside of that it's a travesty.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
everything about this looks awesome and it's fucking sad there's no multiplayer attached

neither this nor doom eternal, id software ain't what they used to be

hope the team gets another shot and hires some wolves from the q3 days

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Ok I’m really liking it. It’s like Doom gunplay + Far Cry + Mad Max. The 100%ing each ? taps into my gaming OCD in the worst best possible way. I’m sure repetition will kick in eventually but for right now wheeeeeeeee

I got a BFG 😏

pLYJS4r.jpg

Really pretty game

bMa24TY.jpg

YRbiSoQ.jpg

uFuU41T.jpg

329n2KC.jpg

Last edited:

Tahj

This game really surprised me on how tight the gameplay had hold of me (esp after I kinda sneered through the entire tutorial), I just absolutely loved every second of combat...& whilst not much else really had my attention throughout the game, in the end I felt I got more than my money's worth.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
By some accident I got this game downloaded like a year ago and since my insomnia was torturing me yeasterday I give it a go and I am honestly blown away by combat, It's super tight. My favorite open world of last gen was definitely Mad Max and I am seeing some difference's here, so that's cool, but driving does not feel particulary great, wish that cars would handle better, however till I am not fed up with the combat I am going to be playing this game.

DiscoHippo

Banned
Had a lot of fun with Rage 2, really didn't understand the negative press it received on launch considering how good the gunplay felt. Yeah the story is dumb, it's just another open world game, and the tone is all over the place. But shooting dudes, upgrading your weapons, and driving around was a blast. Can't remember if I ever finished it (not like I was paying attention to the story), or if I just stopped when I finally got bored.

Dr. Suchong

Naff, bland open world.
Forgettable story and Characters.
FANTASTIC gunplay mechanics!
Fuck! It's over already? Seriously?! (Very short, even with busy work)
Platted it :cool:
Can't see it happening but I really hope 3rd times the charm.

Top Bottom