• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon 6700 XT review roundup

llien

Articles:

MSRP: $480
Perf: around 3070 (single digit % behind for ref)
Notable: 12GB

computerbase.de (German):

Eteknix:
Guru3D:

Hexus:

Hot Hardware:

KitGuru:

Overclocked3D:

PCPerspective:

PCWorld:

Tech Critter:

TechPowerUp:

The Verge:

TweakTown:

Tom's Hardware:

Video:

Last edited:

Ascend

The reviews are generally stacked against this card, because of its MSRP. But really... To me that is quite stupid. AMD obviously increased the MSRP to get a higher cut from the pie in this market. nVidia advertised low MSRPs to get good reviews, but nobody could get them at MSRP anyway...

Considering what this card is, which is basically an RDNA2 version of the 5700XT, technically speaking it is a good enough performance increase. Not great, but good enough. I find it really ironic that reviewers are trashing this card for its MSRP. But we can't expect better in this environment I guess.

Skifi28

Watched the Linus review. Between 3060ti and 3070 is not that good for that price. Well, not that price currently matters but you know what I mean. I'd rather spend a little less on the 3060ti and get the nvidia benefits. AMD should be undercutting them right now considering they can't compete on features.

ethomaz

Banned
Not good for the price.
Plus lacks the power for RT and has no DLSS alternative yet.
Similar flaws of it big sister.

I mean nVidia is having a easy time for years already... at least in the past AMD played the price card.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Watched the Linus review. Between 3060ti and 3070 is not that good for that price. Well, not that price currently matters but you know what I mean. I'd rather spend a little less on the 3060ti and get the nvidia benefits. AMD should be undercutting them right now considering they can't compete on features.
Little less? Real price of 3060ti is more like 800- 900$. There is no reason for AMD to set low MSRP price when real prices on market are that big and everything is sold out everywhere.

Ascend

Not that i can get one but without dlss its hard to recommend amd cards. RT is here to stay it is no longer just a gimmick.
That the tech is here to stay doesn't mean that it's not a gimmick to use for gaming on the majority of (if not all) cards and games that currently exist.

llien

What games are those? Seems like the card is getting stomped in all the RT modes from what I'm looking at.
Dy0gFTf.png

WoW, Dirt 5, Fortnight.
Very close in Godfall.

considering they can't compete on features.
People need to get real about "features".

Last edited:

JCK75

If they can provide enough supply to meet demand could be a good thing if you can actually get it for the advetised priced.. considering a 3070 is like $1700-$1800 right now.

fermcr

So the $400 (Nvida announced price) 3060 TI is a better card then the $480 (AMD announced price) 6700 XT...

AMD never learns. Stubborn fools.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
People are putting these cards in NEW rigs right? Seems like a massive gap between current gen hardware and next gen hardware.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Xyphie

The pricing vs 3060 Ti/3070 is purely academic. AMD will ship like 5 reference cards at $479 per region and unless you win the F5 lottery you won't be able to buy one at $479 again until the crypto bubble pops. The poor value at a fictional $479 MSRP against a fictional $399 3060 Ti MSRP is the least interesting aspect of the card at this point.

iQuasarLV

This card is NOT worth the money. FOMO and generational hype are pushing people to buy something that should cost $419 for 1st party. The 6700XT is not enough of a generational jump to warrant the price hike

Radeons over last 8 years:
ModelMSRP @ LaunchInflationMarket Price
7790$150$171-
270x$199$227-
370x$179$200-
RX470$199$218$175
5700XT$399$428$860
6700XT$480-

Inflation is not what we have to worry about. It is what the market is telling these corporations. 200-300% price increases are acceptable when there is sufficient gaps in peoples' memories. Disgusting. If trends were stable AMD should be charging $289 for the 6700XT, and that is being generous. The last four generations never breached $199 MSRP for the x70 series. Yet miners, and a pandemic later have horribly screwed the pricing of these cards. AMD got away with murder with the 5700XT pricing because Nvidia was killing babies in their cribs for years before AMD caught up.

FireFly

This card is NOT worth the money. FOMO and generational hype are pushing people to buy something that should cost $419 for 1st party. The 6700XT is not enough of a generational jump to warrant the price hike

Radeons over last 8 years:
ModelMSRP @ LaunchInflationMarket Price
7790$150$171-
270x$199$227-
370x$179$200-
RX470$199$218$175
5700XT$399$428$860
6700XT$480-

Inflation is not what we have to worry about. It is what the market is telling these corporations. 200-300% price increases are acceptable when there is sufficient gaps in peoples' memories. Disgusting. If trends were stable AMD should be charging $289 for the 6700XT, and that is being generous. The last four generations never breached $199 MSRP for the x70 series. Yet miners, and a pandemic later have horribly screwed the pricing of these cards. AMD got away with murder with the 5700XT pricing because Nvidia was killing babies in their cribs for years before AMD caught up.
The 6700 XT is a larger die on the same process with 50% more memory and a seemingly more expensive cooling system. It was realistically never going to be priced below the 5700 XT. The 370x was a rebrand of the 270x, and the RX470 was a new chip on the 14nm process, with a slightly bigger die size (232 mm^2 vs 212 mm^2). So the 6700 XT at ~335mm^2 is historically much bigger than a typical 7xx series GPU, and the 7nm process is more expensive than previous ones.

llien

So the $400 (Nvida announced price) 3060 TI is a better card then the $480 (AMD announced price) 6700 XT...
A slower card with 4GB less VRAM "is a better card". (and I'm not even counting SAM, that unlike on green platform, gives substantial gains across most games)
Just in case someone wondered whether green reality distortion field is real.

llien

If trends were stable AMD should be charging $289 for the 6700XT, and that is being generous.
6700XT is good 50% faster than 5700XT, it has more VRAM too and is released during planetary lever Ponzi Scheme craze.
Which sane person would have priced it at $289?

Anyhow, when in doubt, check gross margin. About 45% for AMD, 65% for NV.

fermcr

A slower card with 4GB less VRAM "is a better card". (and I'm not even counting SAM, that unlike on green platform, gives substantial gains across most games)
Just in case someone wondered whether green reality distortion field is real.

If you think a video card with 4GB more VRAM is automatically faster or better, then whatever you smoking is affecting your brain cells.

In normal circumstances (without mining), the $400 3060 TI is already overpriced, but the $480 6700 XT is severely overpriced. With graphics card in abundance the $480 6700 XT would fail hard...

iQuasarLV

The 6700 XT is a larger die on the same process with 50% more memory and a seemingly more expensive cooling system. It was realistically never going to be priced below the 5700 XT. The 370x was a rebrand of the 270x, and the RX470 was a new chip on the 14nm process, with a slightly bigger die size (232 mm^2 vs 212 mm^2). So the 6700 XT at ~335mm^2 is historically much bigger than a typical 7xx series GPU, and the 7nm process is more expensive than previous ones.
In hind sight, It is easy to minimalize the cost to produce the cards at the time of their release. AMD was operating at a less than 10% markup in the previous generations.
That RX 470 8GB was expensive to produce because of the 8GB of memory, the previous cards before that were expensive to produce because of the nodes they were forced to work with couldn't just hand them performance improvements anymore. This is why the GCN architecture outlasted its purpose just before Polaris. Sure, by today's standards those cards are hard to equate to the 6700XT because *duh duh da duhhhh* its new. In 5-8 years time this model is going to be looked at as just as bad a value proposition as those cards 5-8years ago. Just like the 270X and 370X were until Polaris knocked it out of the park with the RX470 model.

Something changed with the 5700XT and AMD decided a price boost of 200% was warranted, Why? Because they had something that could match Nvidia at their price points and performance. The 5700XT is when AMD changed their MSRP game to match Nvidia and we all went along with it. Now we see a generational standard improvement and are to just accept they have a card worth almost $500 that is modeled in the mainstream segment. Good god. Its like the Geforce RTX 2000 series all over again.

iQuasarLV

6700XT is good 50% faster than 5700XT, it has more VRAM too and is released during planetary lever Ponzi Scheme craze.
Which sane person would have priced it at $289?

Anyhow, when in doubt, check gross margin. About 45% for AMD, 65% for NV.
Yeah man. I literally said that two sentences later. Why the context of that paragraph is that we as consumers catering to the scalper market is emboldening the chip manufacturers to aim for the skies on the lower end cards.

If we are willing to pay scalpers $850 for a 6800 why not price the mainstream card at $500? Like Gamer Nexus said, "In this market all you have to do is make a card."

Last edited:

FireFly

In hind sight, It is easy to minimalize the cost to produce the cards at the time of their release. AMD was operating at a less than 10% markup in the previous generations.
That RX 470 8GB was expensive to produce because of the 8GB of memory, the previous cards before that were expensive to produce because of the nodes they were forced to work with couldn't just hand them performance improvements anymore. This is why the GCN architecture outlasted its purpose just before Polaris. Sure, by today's standards those cards are hard to equate to the 6700XT because *duh duh da duhhhh* its new. In 5-8 years time this model is going to be looked at as just as bad a value proposition as those cards 5-8years ago. Just like the 270X and 370X were until Polaris knocked it out of the park with the RX470 model.

Something changed with the 5700XT and AMD decided a price boost of 200% was warranted, Why? Because they had something that could match Nvidia at their price points and performance. The 5700XT is when AMD changed their MSRP game to match Nvidia and we all went along with it. Now we see a generational standard improvement and are to just accept they have a card worth almost $500 that is modeled in the mainstream segment. Good god. Its like the Geforce RTX 2000 series all over again.
Well, it goes in cycles. After the RX470 we've had years of stagnation in the ~$200 segment. It's coming up to 5 years since its launch, and the 5500 XT is like 25% faster and the 1660 like 40% faster. I agree that AMD likely priced the 5700 XT higher than planned (given its size) due the lack of pricing competition from Nvidia. But even if it was a $300 card, I think it would still make sense for the 6700 XT to be $400, given the fact that the cost of seemingly every component has increased. The double or 50% more performance at the same price point that we used to see with each generation wasn't down to the generosity of AMD or Nvidia, but by the miracle of process shrinks. And now that miracle is coming to an end, prices are only going to increase further, irrespective of cryptomining.

That's why Microsoft pre-launched their price reduced version of the Xbox console as the S. Because they knew that moving to 5nm wasn't going to significantly reduce their costs, and GDDR6 memory pricing was going to stay high.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I think people are forgetting that with the import taxes you'll likely never see 2020 prices again. Then add in demand, etc.

Dy0gFTf.png

WoW, Dirt 5, Fortnight.
Very close in Godfall.

People need to get real about "features".
I dont know how accurate that chart is only because i play shadowlands everyday and with a 3060ti i get almost 120-150 fps everywhere. Around 60 on really busy areas. Graphics set to 10(max) 1440p.

llien

Those are all benchmarks without RT, you mentioned RT so I figured the 6700 had won the day with RT on. I can't find that anywhere.
You are commenting on a chart with "Ray tracing performance" in its title...

how accurate
Figures do not seem to contradict the ones you've mentioned anyhow. And it's not even one of the games RDNA2 wins RT in.
factor in DLSS.
Or outright downscale without fancy words applied, get far enough from the screen, claim it looks as good as higher resolution (experts only: use words "native", "deep learning", "image reconstruction"). :messenger_beaming:
Oh, wait, you might run into nvidia driver overhead issue...

Last edited:

Kenpachii

You are commenting on a chart with "Ray tracing performance" in its title...

Figures do not seem to contradict the ones you've mentioned anyhow. And it's not even one of the games RDNA2 wins RT in.

Or outright downscale without fancy words applied, get far enough from the screen, claim it looks as good as higher resolution (experts only: use words "native", "deep learning", "image reconstruction"). :messenger_beaming:
Oh, wait, you might run into nvidia driver overhead issue...

Anybody that uses RTX will use DLSS. Not factoring in is just being special. Raw Raytracing performance is straight up unplayable.

And also lol at anybody supporting AMD that is worried about driver overhead, u cant make this shit up.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
And yet again, an AMD card review thread is turned into a DLSS and RTX worshiping thread...
And yet again you and that other guy try to downplay the benchmarks and technologies you don`t like.
Selectively ignoring facts seems to be a hobby of you guys.

Armorian

Banned
Didn't notice that. The numbers don't come close to matching what anyone else has for RT benchmarks, must have been a different test setup.

From what I have seen so far with latest gpu launches Digital Foundry does the best ray tracing tests. Same for cpu benchmarks. Most reviewers don't really know what they are doing.

Top Bottom