• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R-Type Tactics 1 and 2 Cosmos Are Planned For Western Release In Summer 2023

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

R-Type Tactics I & II Cosmos, the Unreal Engine 5 remakes of the PSP exclusive fleet warfare strategy games will now descend on the west for the first time in 12 years, thanks to publisher NIS America. The two games will be available as a single package on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC in Summer 2023.

R-Type Tactics I (Known in North America as R-Type Command) has two consecutive campaigns from two different perspectives, the defending forces of planet Earth and the invading Bydo Empire, and there are 100 different units available, including space fighters from other R-Type games. As for the sequel, R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate — Never before released outside of Japan — it had double the number of units and three campaigns with branching choices. Both games support multiplayer functions, and user profiles can be shared between both entries.

According to Famitsu, it seems that the Cosmos collection will add additional missions that act as a sequel to the story of the two original versions, and with the new visual overhaul, it aims to be the culmination of modern sci-fi tactical simulation games. The Japanese news outlet has also revealed a picture of the player's journal, which is said to be the defining feature of the second game, as the branching missions and paths can only be unlocked based on the choices in that journal. An online battle mode will also be included for the first time.

In the latest livestream from developer Granzella, the director has expressed his intentions to produce and sell additional content, such as extra scenario missions, which will be included even if the company is not able to gather more crowdfunding like they did before, with R-Type Final 2. The enemy AI will be enhanced as well, making the two games more challenging than their original counterparts. Fans interested in knowing more can check the English transcription of the livestream on NIS America's official Twitch channel.

jigglet

Banned
Damn Japan and their naming.

I thought the last one called "Final" meant it was a literal end to the franchise lol.

Alright, it's great this is still going. One of the best shooters in the industry IMO. And it's on Switch, hell yes!

CamHostage

Damn Japan and their naming.

I thought the last one called "Final" meant it was a literal end to the franchise lol.

Alright, it's great this is still going. One of the best shooters in the industry IMO. And it's on Switch, hell yes!

Heh, nope. They already made an R-Type Final 2, and they're right now making R-Type Final 3... which is an enhanced remake/expansion of R-Type Final 2 somehow?

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/10/r-type-final-3-evolved-to-be-published-by-nis-america-in-the-west

(BTW, nothing against you, but I'm always confused when people get excited for a videogame being the "end to the franchise". If there's some giant story arc that it's paying off, then swell, hit that finale and move the developers onto the next exciting thing. It's just, these aren't stories we're talking about here for the most part, they're games. They're meant to be played, and to challenge a player's skill in dexterity and logic. When the Superbowl ends or an Olympian finishes a race, they all come back next time to try again, because playing is fun!)

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Heh, nope. They already made an R-Type Final 2, and they're right now making R-Type Final 3... which is an enhanced remake/expansion of R-Type Final 2 somehow?

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/10/r-type-final-3-evolved-to-be-published-by-nis-america-in-the-west

(BTW, nothing against you, but I'm always confused when people get excited for a videogame being the "end to the franchise". If there's some giant story arc that it's paying off, then swell, hit that finale and move the developers onto the next exciting thing. It's just, these aren't stories we're talking about here for the most part, they're games. They're meant to be played, and to challenge a player's skill in dexterity and logic. When the Superbowl ends or an Olympian finishes a race, they all come back next time to try again, because playing is fun!)

No it wasn't excitement, it was just I thought it was the end of it all.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
R-Type Tactics 1 and 2 are turn-based tactical games on a hex grid. It's the same universe but totally not shooters games, it's a spin off franchise.

Top Bottom