• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R-Type Final 2 - Demo out now. Game releases 04/30/21. (PC, Switch, PS4, XOne)

Animagic

Banned
Einhander deserves a remaster and a re release. They don't have to go crazy just clean up the visuals and add widescreen( I don't remember if this was supported).
Hopefully this does well and brings about a resurgence in the shooter genre. The vocal minority bullet hell cave fandom nearly buried this genre forever over the last 2 gens with their elitist bitter gatekeeping.

Back in the day, everyone played shooters, even if you sucked at them. They were still cool and fun to play even if you weren’t the best player.

Animagic

Banned
Mine is out for delivery. Can’t wait to play tonight!

media: Amazon just changed status to running late and changed delivery date to after May 2nd.

lame.

tantrum GIF

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Stage 2 is kicking my ass. The hardest part is the bad checkpoint. Like 100x easier to just restart the level and build up power than to start where they start you. Game is a lot of fun though so far.

Impotaku

My copy sat in my post office box in tokyo, won't be seeing it for at least a couple of weeks as everyones doing golden week at the moment so i can't get it forwarded on with all my other stuff but looking forward to getting my hands on it. Switch is becoming quite a stomping ground for a lot of shooters.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
my evening:
180361490_10161215645766164_6725254284031345155_n.jpg

and

180452043_10161215645866164_9000503873403167894_n.jpg

r-type final 2 is awesome sofar and i rate it right after r-type delta.. despite how much i love r-type final on ps2 its the weakest r-type ever made.. and now its redeemed.
My man, the Retype Delta remark helps me consider buying. Love me some PS1 era shmups.

What the hell is up with the 59.99 on PSN and only 39.99 on Steam?

Looks like I'm getting it on Steam on top of my high end HW killing this.

Havoc2049

This thread and the pics in this thread are money!

I actually did a pre-order for R-Type Final 2 Inaugural Flight Edition at GameStop for the Xbox, but my copy didn't come in. :messenger_expressionless: I just got my money back and went across the parking lot to Best Buy, but no luck there either. I was starting to get Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast (the rare Xbox version) flashbacks. Then I just got on my phone and ordered a copy on Amazon..lol. I will get it Monday. Retail is dead. I should probably buy two copies of the Xbox version, as my copy of Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast goes for like $200 now.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Beat boss 2 and he's a huge son of a bitch. But its classic amazing r type. I just am rusty I guess.

Tip: the terrain won't kill you. Hug the floors if you need to. And don't forget your speed adjustments!

Animagic

Banned
Finally got my game today. I’m playing on normal, and I just reached the end of the third stage.

Feels really good to be playing a new R-Type after all these years. I’m still too early in the game to be able to say where this lands for me alongside the rest of the series, but I’ll be chipping away at this for awhile.

I got it on Switch, which has become a shooter platform for me at this point. It came with a cd and a little artbook which was nice.

Any of y’all gotten the extra stages dlc? I’m curious about what they are like

R2KPt45.png

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Been 15 years since I played R-Type Final, but I didn't like that game at all. Plodding gameplay and dismal aesthetics. Definitely my least favorite R-Type that I've played.

Is this better? How's the music? Tempted to take a chance on it and grab it from GOG.

Esca

Put this on my wishlist to pick up when it goes on sale or if I'm not already have something else to play. Look forward either way

Hyphen

Been 15 years since I played R-Type Final, but I didn't like that game at all. Plodding gameplay and dismal aesthetics. Definitely my least favorite R-Type that I've played.

Is this better? How's the music? Tempted to take a chance on it and grab it from GOG.

The music is fantastic in my opinion... :messenger_ok:
However, I fear you may feel the gameplay in Final 2 is "plodding" like Final. Although it's not the word I would use to describe it, I do know what you mean, as it certainly has the same feel as Final. I've only reached staged 6 though, so the later levels may play differently. I find the graphics very simple, but the lighting effects are wonderfully portrayed.

Animagic

Banned
My mind is blown that people have beaten this already without dying on the highest difficulty levels. I love the R-Type games and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to achieve that.

With that said I have really enjoyed playing this, learning the levels, and unlocking ships. I have seen 5 of the levels so far but haven’t cleared it yet. Maybe this weekend.

I got the dlc levels and the first one is that asshole stage from R-Type 3 with the fire vents. Who picked these? Lol

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Parts of this game definitely feel more like a puzzle than a traditional shmup - anybody who says they got through some of the later stages without dying blind is a fucking liar.

Also, after playing Cave games recently the hitbox feels massive. So many clumsy deaths.

I only managed to put some time into this last night and haven't yet beaten it. From what I've played and more generally seen online, the game does comes across like it was designed specifically as a sequel to the first Final, rather than just another franchise entry with a bunch of usable ships. Graphically, I do wish the visuals were a bit tighter. The game certainly isn't ugly, but too inconsistent at times. My main complaint, though, is the ships' hitboxes are rather large, which combined with the amount of particle effects often being thrown around creates too many situations where I have no clue what killed me.

So far, I'm enjoying the game's memorization aspects and--as long as they aren't paid DLC--will likely stick around to grind-out the full roster of ships.

SkylineRKR

Xbox version seems to be fixed. I assume there was an update. The OS doesn't slow to a crawl anymore with the game in the background, slowdown is eradicated everywhere I played so far. Recommend it on Xbox now, I think it loads faster than PS4.

Animagic

Banned
I didn't realize it had updated. I've been slammed this week. I'll put some time in this weekend and see what's changed, performancewise.

Top Bottom