• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick Sonic 2 impressions

pramod

Banned
Pros:
Tons of fan service, Sonic fans will go bananas.
Much crazier and lots more action than the first.
Ildris Elba was PERFECT as Knuckles.
Jim Carrey was funnier and even more Carrey-esque as Robotnik. Feels like the 90's Jim Carrey is back.

Cons:
The "human" parts were really bad and cringey and feel completely irrelevant to the plot.
About 20 minutes of human scenes could have been cut out and made the movie better. You just want to go back to Sonic/Robotnik.
There were a lot of shirtless men in this movie for some reason.

Conclusion:
Better than the first if the annoying human scenes didn't make you walk out.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Human scenes are for the adults taking their kids bro. Why the fuck does some normie in his 40s who seen his kid brother play Sonic 2 in 1992 wanna invest in it when he never cared for it? But point made if you're in it for the Sonic characters.

pramod

Banned
Human scenes are for the adults taking their kids bro. Why the fuck does some normie in his 40s who seen his kid brother play Sonic 2 in 1992 wanna invest in it when he never cared for it? But point made if you're in it for the Sonic characters.
The human scenes in the first one were actually much better written and more touching and nuanced, the ones here feel like a bad Adam Sandler movie, thats how bad it is....if you are an adult you have even less reason to watch 2 actually.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
The human scenes in the first one were actually much better written and more touching and nuanced, the ones here feel like a bad Adam Sandler movie, thats how bad it is....if you are an adult you have even less reason to watch 2 actually.

If is Adam Sandler we're talking about, then that means bad news to me. I hope its not too extensive on that part, I had fun watching the first one.

Sleepwalker

It's good fun, just watched it.

Knuckles is great, Elba nailed the part.

Didn't care too much for the sideplot but the movie was very funny at times, too bad Jim Carrey probably will retire after this. If you like him, you have to watch it regardless as its pretty much his last film.

sol_bad

I feel like the sequel was aimed at kids far more than the first film. So many stupid things happen in it and so many fart jokes. I'll need to watch the first film again though, maybe I just enjoyed it because my expectations were so low.

I was really disengaged in the story and overall didn't enjoy it.

The 20 minute wedding scene was totally pointless and shouldn't have been there. And when Cyclops was trying to get the wedding ring without explaining there was a mix up,I cringed so hard.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Pros:
Tons of fan service, Sonic fans will go bananas.
Much crazier and lots more action than the first.
Ildris Elba was PERFECT as Knuckles.
Jim Carrey was funnier and even more Carrey-esque as Robotnik. Feels like the 90's Jim Carrey is back.

Cons:
The "human" parts were really bad and cringey and feel completely irrelevant to the plot.
About 20 minutes of human scenes could have been cut out and made the movie better. You just want to go back to Sonic/Robotnik.
There were a lot of shirtless men in this movie for some reason.

Conclusion:
Better than the first if the annoying human scenes didn't make you walk out.
I watched it too. Some cheesy parts the the movie is for kids. Not for us adults. But it trades on out nostalgia by giving us call backs from the video games. But nonetheless a strong video game movie.

Your movie Mario

Last edited:

sol_bad

Watched some of the first movie in Netflix and yeah, sequel is definitely aimed more at kids. Not sure why they did this. Makes me less excited about a 3rd film.

Kazza

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is outstripping the 3-day opening results of its first 2020 movie, which keep in mind was over a holiday weekend, with $70M. For Jim Carrey, on a 3-day basis, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is his biggest domestic opener, beating the $68M start of Bruce Almighty in 2003.

Looks like this movie series have got a good momentum to it.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I have to say
1 - Sonic 2
2 - Mortal Kombat (90's)
3 - Sonic

The only bad thing, and it's bad as fuck, is the marriage thing. Almost everything could be cut and the movie will work fine. Also, some other stuff could also be cut to have a shorter movie, but ok. It's the best videogame movie ever

Mario, your move

Last edited:
The Sonic movies are better than they have any right to be. First one was immensely enjoyable, with decent humor, likable characters and a great performance by Jim Carrey.
The second movie pretty much hits the same notes and has a good dose of healthy humor.

Robotnik is great as ever, Knuckles and Tails are represented faithfully and there is a pretty good dynamic going on between red, blue and yellow. The movie presents a healthy moral messaging of "family sticking together" and "taking responsibility for others" with Sonic trying to deal with his powers in a responsible fashion and putting the safety of others over his personal rivalry.

The whole wedding side plot was absolutely pointless and could have easily been substituted for a deeper exploration of Sonic's bond with adoptive parents. The fishing scene with Sonic and Donutlord was a really nice touch and could have been expanded upon rather than the stupid marriage which put too much screen time on two overly annoying characters.

Sonic and Tails' adventure in Siberia was cool and (without spoilering) I like how the movie carefully avoided to repeat a very similar scene to the fist one. Some specific lines felt out of place and way too dated for the younger audiences, for example Robotnik's "you're as useful as a backstage pass to Limp Bizkit", but those were the exception and for the most part the comedy landed pretty well.

Look, the Sonic movies are really silly, but they have a lot of heart and their uplifting excitement and moral messaging makes them really enjoyable, especially when watching with the little ones.
Some really heartfelt scenes and also some good action... movies that both, young and old, can enjoy.

plushyp

I notice you didn't list how much shirtless hedgehog, fox and echidna there is in the film
v6zxTtf.jpg

sol_bad

Another thing I just thought of. Spoiler towards the end of the film but Sonic says that his speed, Knuckles brawn and Tails smarts will help them overcome Robotnik. The very next scene has all 3 characters running/flying at the same speed, where exactly is Sonics edge in that regard?

The film in general forgets about Sonic and Knuckles speed. Hell, at one point Knuckles is chasing after Sonic and Tails whom are in a car. For some reason Knuckles couldn't catch them until the script let him of course.

Sonic can run so fast he can run up buildings but he can't outrun an avalanche?

And what's with the homo-erotic undertones between Stone and Robotnik? It wasn't there in the first film!!!

And why are James Marsden and Tika Sumpter treating Sonic like a kid? THEY DIDN'T DO THAT IN THE FIRST FILM!!!!

AAARRRGGGHHH

Movie makes me so angry because it's so dumbed down from the first film.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I agree with most of the folks here, it isn't as smart and witty a script as Sonic 1 but was still a lot of fun. I'm pretty dissappointed that the Olive Garden mentions was so low (maybe only once?), I guess the Four Seasons Hawaii stepped up as a sponser instead.

Sonic 3 needs to never show the sister-in-law or the dumb cop again. Total life sucks from the film IMHO. Carrey NEEDS Marsters to play off of, his zaniness versus Marsters total straight man earnestness (and I liked how they tried to hide that Marsters is probably twice as ripped as the fiancee). I've no doubt they will get Carrey back, even for a few cameos in 3.

I'm REALLY confused on the Sonic/Knuckles backstory though. I don't think it needs a spoiler but just in case some sonic diehard film fan hasn't seen it yet...

Just who are these owl armored folks? Knuckles seems to imply he is the last of his kind, but there were 3 dudes who went into the portal with him that they just left? Why are they dressed like owls but hunting an owl [who apparently killed ALL OF THEM when defending the portal that sent Sonic to Earth in Sonic 1??] Who is Two Tails' family? None of this stuff makes any sense :p

Olimbox

Neo Member
I watched it yesterday with my kids. The movie was average imho, with the human scenes to forget, but some great actions and cgi. Great Jim Carrey as usual.

Nothing new here, but I watched it for the first time on a 4dx cinema. The experience was amazing, and we were in awe for the entire movie. The chair was keep moving and shaking fallowing the camera action, wind rain, and even snow falling! On the scenes with fire I had hot air blown on my neck :) it was a great and fun experience.

I thought didn't have reason to go back to cinema anymore after watching movies on the quest 2 with Bigscreen, but now I can't wait for Lightyear

Davey Cakes

I honestly thought Jim Carrey was too over-the-top in this. Hard to imagine, I know. Overall I still like him as Robotnik but some of these choices in the script (or his adlibs) were just too much. He came off more like "TikTok Robotnik" than the timeless villain he is in the video games. The first movie struck the balance. I'll admit, I'm in my thirties so obviously I wouldn't appreciate the memes and pop culture references as much.

Also, the only reason people don't like the human characters is because of padded out scenes that don't serve the main plot. I actually think if they focused on Tom, Maddie, Stone, and Robotnik only then there wouldn't be a problem. Having Rachel's wedding as a major set piece completely derailed the movie IMO, and nobody gives a shit about GUN trying to capture Sonic. I also feel like the dance-off was a retread of the tavern scene in the first movie, and they could've written a more original situation wherein Sonic and Tails could bond. More Tails backstory in general would've been great.

James Marsden was actually likable. He was naturally upbeat and involved in his scenes as Tom. Handled it like a pro.

Tika Sumpter was an absolute knockout, as always.

Last edited:
Watched some of the first movie in Netflix and yeah, sequel is definitely aimed more at kids. Not sure why they did this. Makes me less excited about a 3rd film.

I mean, it's a movie about Sonic the Hedgehog ffs. What were you people expecting, some gritty adult drama with mature themes?

It's a game about Sonic the Hedgehog. Lets all step back for a second and remember the character and franchise are games for children. Enjoy them as an adult if you wish but let's be real here, the whole thing is meant for children. Beginning to end.

And miss me with that autist level Sonic fan suit delving into backstory and inter character relationships from the comic books (lol) etc. It's Sonic the Hedgehog ffs. The movie did exactly what it set out to do.

Edit: just read your follow up reply...woo boy I should've guessed.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I mean, it's a movie about Sonic the Hedgehog ffs. What were you people expecting, some gritty adult drama with mature themes?

It's a game about Sonic the Hedgehog. Lets all step back for a second and remember the character and franchise are games for children. Enjoy them as an adult if you wish but let's be real here, the whole thing is meant for children. Beginning to end.

And miss me with that autist level Sonic fan suit delving into backstory and inter character relationships from the comic books (lol) etc. It's Sonic the Hedgehog ffs. The movie did exactly what it set out to do.

Edit: just read your follow up reply...woo boy I should've guessed.

I know it's a kids movie.
The prequel was a kids movie.
The first film, even though it was a kids film, didn't dumb down it's jokes to pre-school level idiocy.

teezzy

Banned
It's good fun, just watched it.

Knuckles is great, Elba nailed the part.

Didn't care too much for the sideplot but the movie was very funny at times, too bad Jim Carrey probably will retire after this. If you like him, you have to watch it regardless as its pretty much his last film.

what makes you think Carrey is retiring?

Last edited:

Kadve

> Tons of fan service, Sonic fans will go bananas.

reason why i haven't bothered with it. Not a fan of the sonic lore and liked how the first movie tried to be its own thing separate from it.

Kev Kev

i thought it was really good

i didnt see the first one, and i typically dont check out these animated flicks, but i genuinely enjoyed it. went with my niece, nephew and my mom. it was funny, good story, action, nuanced references and even a few just blatant ones but it wasnt overly done, it wasnt super cringe a little woke and they kind of cucked out the donut guy for a minute hahaha, but over all it was super fun and i recommend it to anyone.

Top Bottom