• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick question about PS4 gamesharing

June

So I gave my brother my ps4. My account is set to primary, because I have years worth of purchases games on there.

Now my brother logged into his newly created account and he can access what games I have INSTALLED on the ps4. He also has access to online multiplayer through my PSPlus subscription.

However, He cannot access my PURCHASE HISTORY and download whatever games he wants from my account. This means that, seemingly, anytime he wants to download/play a certain game that I have purchased but is not currently on the harddrive, then he will have to log into my account to download it from there so that it installs onto the harddrive, and then log out, log back into his account and play it on his own account.

My question is: is this the normal procedure for secondary account to NOT be able to view and download the purchase history of the primary account? Or should he be able to access the primary accounts purchase history and download what he likes? And if so, why isn't that option showing for him?

Thank you very much.

FranXico

He can access and play the downloaded content of the main account, but not download it himself. It still is a separate account.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Did the same recently. Gave my PS4 to my sister and her kids with my account still on it. Your brother will need to log into your account to see your library and start downloads, but can switch to his profile to play from there.

It's normal. He will have to log in with your account and download them, then he can switch back to his account and play.

I've done this for years and have generally had to log in to other account to download the games. I think there have been weird edge cases where somehow I was able to have the primary user download things, but generally I just log in to the secondary account that owns the games, hit download, then switch back while it downloads.

NickFire

Completely normal and how it has been since PS4 launched (at least - never tried before).

As an aside, its extremely easy to share games as long as you trust him. Just add a password that only he knows and he can log in, hit download, and log out in seconds.

June

Thanks guys, really appreciate the answers!

This is kinda what I assumed since it would be odd if everything else with account sharing was working (installed games, psplus) but not purchase history.

I kindly have one more question: is there any drawbacks to allowing my brother log into my account (so he can download my games when he likes)?

I trust him not to make purhcases or anything stupid like that, but I'm talking in terms of will him logging into my account ever sign me out whilst i'm gaming on my ps5, or any other logistic hiccups like thhat?

Last edited:

NickFire

This is kinda what I assumed since it would be odd if everything else with account sharing was working (installed games, psplus) but not purchase history.

I kindly have one more question: is there any drawbacks to allowing my brother log into my account (so he can download my games when he likes)?

I trust him not to make purhcases or anything stupid like that, but I'm talking in terms of will him logging into my account ever sign me out whilst i'm gaming on my ps5, or any other logistic hiccups like thhat?
If he signs into a PS4 I don't think it will boot you from a PS5, but it definitely will boot you from a PS4. And vice versa.

Also - he only needs to log into your account to start the download. Once started he can resume using his account and the download will continue.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

Just use the web store. You can choose which ps4 to download it to. I do the same. My brother pings me what game he wants then i log into the web store and download to their named PS4

And yes you will be booted out if he logs in while you are midgame. Can't remember if you get like 5 mins after the notification. Using the above method wont though.

Last edited:

wvnative

If you are playing, just as an example, Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS4 version) at the same time, one of ya is gonna get the boot. But you can play different games at the same time on both systems. You cannot both sign in to the same console at the same time.

June

Great guys thanks a lot!

I guess I'll keep my primary account password protected then, and he'll just have to ask me whenever he wants to to access my account to download some games.

Just use the web store. You can choose which ps4 to download it to. I do the same. My brother pings me what game he wants then i log into the web store and download to their named PS4

And yes you will be booted out if he logs in while you are midgame. Can't remember if you get like 5 mins after the notification. Using the above method wont though.

I'll definetly tell him about this, that should makes things a lot easier. Thanks!

Swift_Star

Banned

No, not at all. Just assure you demand password when buying games so he doesn't use your credit card without your permission.

Swift_Star

Banned
If you are playing, just as an example, Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS4 version) at the same time, one of ya is gonna get the boot. But you can play different games at the same time on both systems. You cannot both sign in to the same console at the same time.
What? OP's brother can play the same game OP is playing if he's not using OP account. But if OP's brother logs in OP account while it being used on another console OP'll be logged out. You can't log on the same account at the same time in two different consoles.

Last edited:

June

What? OP's brother can play the same game OP is playing if he's not using OP account. But if OP's brother logs in OP account while it being used on another console OP'll be logged out. You can't log on the same account at the same time in two different consoles.

Sorry I'm a little confused

If two people can't log into the same account at the same time less one gets logged out, then it's prudent for me to set me a password on my primary account login right?

Swift_Star

Banned
Sorry I'm a little confused

If two people can't log into the same account at the same time less one gets logged out, then it's prudent for me to set me a password on my primary account login right?
If you don't want to be logged out when your brother logs in your account, yes. And he'll need to ask your permission to log in and download the games you bought.

June

If you don't want to be logged out when your brother logs in your account, yes. And he'll need to ask your permission to log in and download the games you bought.

yeah thats what im thinking. He'll need to ask me if he can log in even with no password set anyway, just to check if im currently on my playstation or not. So may aswell set a password to remove temptation or accidental log ins. That'll suit my situation best anyway

Thanks again đź‘Ť

Last edited:
Top Bottom