• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question: why is the ps5s image output so much better than my XsX?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This is something I have wondered about for while now. On the same input my ps5 image quality is just better than my XsX. Contrast is better, colors are more vibrant, like they have more color depth?
I have tried this on three separate TVs and it’s the same results.

is this a real thing or are my eyes playing tricks on me? I would think maybe Sony being a high end tv manufacturer would put forth more effort in image output? Idk 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I remember that it was the opposite during PS360 era. Also Warnen Warnen has described something similar with Destiny on both consoles so you're not the only one. Also put in mind that VRR usually fucks the colors in nearly all TV's currently.
Yes it was the opposite on ps3 vs 360.

I will have to install the tales of arise demo again and see if it shows through on phone pics.

Last edited:
LOL…I have the opposite problem…and on a Sony 65” 900-series, no less. XSX looks beautiful, PS5 is too dark, colors washed out, etc.

I’m sure it’s settings, but the calibrations I’ve found online haven’t helped.

I haven't noticed that. What happens for me is my PS5 gets very dark. I usually can fix it by resetting the television and the PS5, but it's still annoying. Some issue with HDR, I guess. This doesn't happen on my XSX or Switch.

skneogaf

I absolutely love messing around with audio visual equipment settings, I wish I could get some time on your tv and xbox.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I haven't noticed that. What happens for me is my PS5 gets very dark. I usually can fix it by resetting the television and the PS5, but it's still annoying. Some issue with HDR, I guess. This doesn't happen on my XSX or Switch.

a bit darker but it doesn’t lose any detail and bright colors do not loose brightness. Colors seem to be more vibrant.

Where as my XsX seems like at the same settings the image is brighter a little more faded but looks a bit .. idk if sharpers really a good description.

Last edited:

Skyfox

My ps5 store and os level looks way better than series x but in game the x looks better.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
This is something I have wondered about for while now. On the same input my ps5 image quality is just better than my XsX. Contrast is better, colors are more vibrant, like they have more color depth?

is this a real thing or are my eyes playing tricks on me? I would think maybe Sony being a high end tv manufacturer would put forth more effort in image output? Idk 🤷‍♂️
Do you use the same HDMI cable on both consoles? Do you connect them in the same HDMI slot of a TV?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I've noticed the same thing. For example :

PS5 seems... warmer color space?

The part where they are riding in the train really illustrates what I’m seeing. Even in the dark scenes the colors are bright and vivid with slightly darker contrast.

I found the ps5 to be worse on my bx oled but better on my c1 …I would say it’s a setting on your tv and I could not be fucked trying to work out what it is

elliot5

The part where they are riding in the train really illustrates what I’m seeing. Even in the dark scenes the colors are bright and vivid with slightly darker contrast.
no idea. must just be how the consoles handle image processing/HDR.

IMO I like the XSX look like in the city and the train sequence more. When the lights flash by the fog/atmospherics on PS5 look green and the city looked blue vs more natural tones on XSX|S. I think there have been other games with different color too. Might've been Metro Exodus? Idk

noise36

Its going to be to do with how each console deals with HDR, colour space, black levels and/or TV settings for each input which are usually independent.

Anecdotal stories are useless, we need data... post pics of examples, consoles settings, TV settings etc.

Super low effort post by OP RoboFu which is probably why the comments look the way they do as well.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You know what I just tried mk11 in Dolby vision on XsX and it looks like absolute shit. The only thing I can think of is I am using the Xbox beta updates and some say it broke Dolby vision. Could be affecting normal games as well🤷‍♂️ or may just be another issue all together.

for comparison watching movies on my Apple TV is stunning in Dolby vision.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

You know what I just tried mk11 in Dolby vision on XsX and it looks like absolute shit. The only thing I can think of is I am using the Xbox beta updates and some say it broke Dolby vision. Could be affecting normal games as well🤷‍♂️ or may just be another issue all together.

for comparison watching movies on my Apple TV is stunning in Dolby vision.
Forget about Dolbyvision on TVs older than CX, I tried it on my C8 and the input lag was massive, and IQ was shit.

EDIT: Also fucks up the HDR in games that don't support DV, but somehow the console forces it.
Just leave it off.

Last edited:

is this a real thing or are my eyes playing tricks on me? I would think maybe Sony being a high end tv manufacturer would put forth more effort in image output? Idk
Looks like dynamic range/colorspace setting. Try to switch between "limited" and "full" in Xbox display settings or do the same on your TV (16-235 is "limited" 0-255 is "full". Any setting other than selected on your TV will result in low contrast/dull colors. Console and TV settings must match.

Hawk269

I have played the same game on both the PS5 and Series X and for me with the same TV settings they are about the same. I don't notice one being better than the other in the same exact game/same scenario etc.

mhirano

I have a PS5 and a Xbox One X.
The menus and system look miles better on PS5 (it's 4k HDR vs 1080p SDR after all).
But Red Dead Redemption 2 looks much better on Xbox One X... It's like getting new glasses compared to the PS5 version.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I remember that it was the opposite during PS360 era. Also Warnen Warnen has described something similar with Destiny on both consoles so you're not the only one. Also put in mind that VRR usually fucks the colors in nearly all TV's currently.
Have to say didn’t see a difference on my oled without vvr…. The green fog looked even better then on both consoles then before. Could be true.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Ps5 also has a much better controller, the main reason I went with sony this gen.
Mad Max Reaction GIF

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Different devices, different settings. You shouldn’t be plugging them into the same HDMI port and expecting the same image across devices without adjusting settings.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You can also check to see if the color output on the XSX is set to Limited or Full/RGB. Swap back and forth and see which gives richer colors and deeper black gradients.

Last edited:
I have the exact opposite situation. My Xbox Series X provides much more vibrant colors, and I'm playing on a Sony Bravia TV too. I mess around with my PS5 and TV settings, but if I play the same game on both systems, the X just has the better colors. I had the same thing with last gen systems too. Not sure why, I'm no tech wiz

FritzJ92

Sorry bro i dont know what you’re experiencing but my XSX games look phenomenal they pop and show detail and don’t over saturate especially with Dolby vision and the Xbox’s TV calibration, which I think is superior to Sonys.
My PS5 looks fine, but my OLED seems more vibrant with Xbox games.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Different devices, different settings. You shouldn’t be plugging them into the same HDMI port and expecting the same image across devices without adjusting settings.

Well no shit but even with it dialed in my XsX still doesn’t have as good of IQ. I used the same settings and same cable as a test to make sure it isn’t any outside factors like a bad cable or screwy setting on just one.

I’ve been doing some Google detective work and us few here are not alone in this observation. I think Sony just has their output dialed in a little better.

mhirano

Setting up new TVs for the new consoles is much harder than needed.
Microsoft made an amazing move supporting Dolby Vision and ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode), that automates some of the settings.
But even then you have to enable on the TV: 4:4:4 mode (PC label), HDMI deep color, Game mode, HDR (that has different calibration settings) and HGiG.
It's really frustrating.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So here is a quick comparison using my phone and diablo 3. first image is XsX second is my PS5. Same input, same cable. Even with the crappy night phone pic you can see the ps5 img has more contrast and bit more color to it. has nothing to do with limited or non limited, color depth, or any of that.

It is possible that most games I play are just like that on the PS version compared to the xbox 🤷‍♂️ but i do see it alotthe time in demos an such.

also let refrain from throwing fanboy acusations.. i was called a xbox fanboy and a PS fanboy like 10 times today in different threads. :messenger_grimmacing_

LyRdDXm.jpg
YDzjkYw.jpg

Top Bottom