• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question for devs: Which factors can make a game to have only local play, but no online?

Wonko_C

As funny as it sounds: Asking for a friend.

He always comes to me asking why X or Z game doesn't have online play, to which I always lazily answer: "probably budget constranints", he then always retorts with: "BS. There are plenty cheaply-made shovelware games with online play, why can't this bigger game have online?".

I can't really give him a convincing answer. Thoughts?

Last edited:
This is a good question for Traveller‘s Tales. Most of their games are local coop only. I’ve never read anything official, but I chalked it up to be an encouragement for couch coop. Being LEGO games and all, it’s easy to want to encourage kids to play together in person. Or encourage parents to do the same with their children.

Kuranghi

Probably because writing netcode to sync everything up (the game has a lot of physics objects in it) is much more complicated than implementing local coop.

In Lego games sometimes the physics objects matter for a puzzle so the "trick" of just simulating the physics locally for each machine (I believe Diablo 3 does this), so each person sees different results can't be used if both players need to see the object in the same place at the same time, so its a lot of work when they know most people are playing it locally with a friend/child/squeeze.

edit - OP still waiting for an actual dev to answer him lol "I asked for devs not divs!"

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Not a dev.
Lack of experience, lack of staff to do it right and also playtest, lack of money or time.

Or you know, idealism and all that. I honestly miss games that focus on couch coop.
I blame NEETs.

This man is a LIAR and I have proof!

YxiXkim.png

Mods, can we get SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo verified please?

Last edited:
Top Bottom