• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about PS4/PS5 gaming sharing?

Karmic Raze

Yeah, so I had sold my old PS4 Pro to my friend last Summer. He never went online with it because we figured he would be locked out of my games since my profile was left on the PS4. He has recently went online with it, but I haven’t had the chance to speak with him about it and I am considering getting a PS5 Digital when possible.

If I do that, will one of us (likely him) be locked out of the game library? I know you can do a account library reset or whatever every 6 months, so I’d be able to access my games regardless. I am assuming that when/if I get a PS5 he would be locked out of my library and I wouldn’t have a problem accessing my games? He doesn’t have my password or anything like that. I also don’t think he would be a dick about it either, but he lives in another state now, so…

Thanks for the help.

wvnative

You can game share between PS4/PS5. You won't be locked out.

You will only get locked out if say, you boot up AC valhalla on your PS5 at the same time he boots AC valhalla on his PS4 for example.

PS4/PS5 accounts are meant to co-exist. If he never sets a primary console on your account your good to go. Just ensure he stays on his account.

If you want to give him access to your games you can do that too without messing anything up.

Just to clarify, are you trying to share your games with him?

Three

Yeah, so I had sold my old PS4 Pro to my friend last Summer. He never went online with it because we figured he would be locked out of my games since my profile was left on the PS4. He has recently went online with it, but I haven’t had the chance to speak with him about it and I am considering getting a PS5 Digital when possible.

If I do that, will one of us (likely him) be locked out of the game library? I know you can do a account library reset or whatever every 6 months, so I’d be able to access my games regardless. I am assuming that when/if I get a PS5 he would be locked out of my library and I wouldn’t have a problem accessing my games? He doesn’t have my password or anything like that. I also don’t think he would be a dick about it either, but he lives in another state now, so…

Thanks for the help.
You are assigned a primary console which you can change every 6 months I believe. The games are available offline and on other users on the primary console. If another non primary console logs in with your account the primary console still has access to the games but not to that user.

Mahavastu

If I do that, will one of us (likely him) be locked out of the game library? I know you can do a account library reset or whatever every 6 months, so I’d be able to access my games regardless.
The digital games in your PSN library can be played on 3 different devices at the time, without anyone kicking out anyone else:

1. your primary PS4
2. your primary PS5 ("Console Sharing and Offline Play")
3. your secondary PS4. You can have many secondary PS4, but only active (playing a game) at the same time

Karmic Raze

You can game share between PS4/PS5. You won't be locked out.

You will only get locked out if say, you boot up AC valhalla on your PS5 at the same time he boots AC valhalla on his PS4 for example.

PS4/PS5 accounts are meant to co-exist. If he never sets a primary console on your account your good to go. Just ensure he stays on his account.

If you want to give him access to your games you can do that too without messing anything up.

Just to clarify, are you trying to share your games with him?
Yeah, I want to share the games with him. Sorry for the confusion,

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Most PS4 games are playable on PS5 that’s what made the console such a victory for SONY.

wvnative

Yeah, I want to share the games with him. Sorry for the confusion,

On YOUR PS5: Go to account management on HIS account to set it as your primary console, you will have to deactivate your own account.

On HIS PS4: Go to account management on YOUR account, set his PS4 as primary console.

That is all... it's super easy. My buddy and I did this before he upgraded to PS5, you guys can play each other's games on your own account with few to no restrictions. The only restrictions are on PS4, remote play doesn't work and automatic cloud save backup doesn't work. But he can manually upload and download saves on the cloud. These restrictions aren't present on PS5

Top Bottom