• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Error Dev: Cerny Is A Genius, PS5 Feels Designed with Developers In Mind; Zen 2 Is Exciting

nikolino840

zwI7ClN.png

Sota4077

Of course he’s a genius. All these hardware and software guys are super smart. Rest reads like a fluff piece which is to be expected from the official magazine of PlayStation.

RDNA 2.5 😆😆😆

Make no mistake. Mark Cerny is obviously smart as fuck. Probably smarter than 95% of people on planet earth. I too scratch my head though when folks act as though there is no other like him. There are folks like him all over the gaming industry. Whomever thought up the Nintendo Switch has got to be in the same conversation. The technological feat of that device is astounding.

I work in the renewable energy industry with civil, electrical and structural engineers all day. So I deal with some pretty brilliant minds on a regular basis. I cannot even imagine how utterly stupid and lost I would feel even trying to have a casual conversation with guys like Mark Cerny haha. It took me 3 years working with the engineers I work with at my job to convince them that I am not a fucking imbecile--they're just incredibly smart haha.

FStubbs

"Off the shelf" LOLOLOLOL GTFO with that hyperbolic noise. Only console I remember with close to off the shelf parts was the OG Xbox and that was cuz MS had never made a console before and thought it was just a PC.... and even theirs wasn't actually off the shelf.

You think Apple is using "off the shelf" HW cuz they use ARM processors?

The Switch uses an off the shelf Tegra and I think this has been documented as such.

C'mon. Just imagine you are sitting on your couch playing some scary game like Resident Evil. You just finish a really crazy stressful part and head to a safe room. You exhale deeply. Put down your controller then turn your head to look out the window and you see.....

FCRwIu2.png

**Dear Mark Cerny. If you see this. I am sorry for the things I do. My father was not around in my formative years and never had a catch with me...**

The Cerny

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore—
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
“’Tis some Cerny,” I muttered, “tapping at my chamber door—
Only this and nothing more.”

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SONY is feisty as hell with their exclusives and it will be hard to separate their exclusives from them so go ahead and keep imaging God of War on your Xbox dashboard.

dcll

Banned
I'm sorry. Seriously. Can you imagine waking up out of a deep sleep and seeing this guys face hovering over you? I'd soil myself, and I haven't involuntarily self soiled in decades.
Someone should shop that pic of Biden where he is creeping from behind like a vampire, have him come from out of scene and behind Cerny

Arkam

The Switch uses an off the shelf Tegra and I think this has been documented as such.
Will give you that one, That is my understanding on their initial batch of Tegra chips. Not familiar if they wrapped it in any custom components or not or if it is just a Shield deep down.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Id rather have him talk about his own game

Quantum Error is still an unknown quantity at this point

People need to know more what the game is all about

Paracelsus

In a few months we'll learn PS5 is actually stronger because the ROPs are the same but in a PS5 they feel more at home.

“Quantum Error”
Oh cool they made a game about Cernys GDC talk. /jks

Real talk though, they undermine the credibility of anything else they say with the super desperate “please make us exclusive” comment at the end.

And for the RDNA2.5 talk, jfc. If such a thing was even floated as a Rumor for team green you guys would be all over it asking for receipts. You think they’ve got features from RDNA3 when RDNA2 isn’t even really out/widely available? Don’t do this to yourselves.

sendit

RDNA 2.5 from the rumors going around at the moment... supposedly it's RDNA2 with a few extra features that will be found in RDNA 3 or later cards coming to market.

Hopefully this will be confirmed by PS in their event.
They really need some positive news, cause the last few weeks have not been good for them.

Amazing. PS5 went from RDNA 1 to RDNA 1.5 to RDNA 2.0 (officially) to RDNA 1.5 (because VRS isn't announced) to RDNA 2.5.

Bryank75

Banned
Amazing. PS5 went from RDNA 1 to RDNA 1.5 to RDNA 2.0 (officially) to RDNA 1.5 (because VRS isn't announced) to RDNA 2.5.
Well it is just a rumor.... I don't believe it. I think these guys are just hearing that PS5 will have some proprietary features as part of the GPU / CPU and are conflating it with being a half step or nearly a generation ahead....

GymWolf

Make no mistake. Mark Cerny is obviously smart as fuck. Probably smarter than 95% of people on planet earth. I too scratch my head though when folks act as though there is no other like him. There are folks like him all over the gaming industry. Whomever thought up the Nintendo Switch has got to be in the same conversation. The technological feat of that device is astounding.

I work in the renewable energy industry with civil, electrical and structural engineers all day. So I deal with some pretty brilliant minds on a regular basis. I cannot even imagine how utterly stupid and lost I would feel even trying to have a casual conversation with guys like Mark Cerny haha. It took me 3 years working with the engineers I work with at my job to convince them that I am not a fucking imbecile--they're just incredibly smart haha.
95%?? Dude, the guy builds console, he doesn't create vaccine or pilot a spaceship...

Relativ9

95%?? Dude, the guy builds console, he doesn't create vaccine or pilot a spaceship...

I think you vastly underestimate how many people either aren't very intelligent or have underutilized intelligence. He builds consoles yes, might seem trivial or simplistic compared to other pursuits, but I'd go so far as to say that intellectually 99% of people have even more trivial pursuits, even upper-class individuals who have good high paying jobs. I'm a writer and developer, my dad is a civil engineer, my sister is a lawyer...but the amount of information and problem solving myself or they have to do can't be compared to something like building a console where new technological innovations are invented and implemented in efficient and balanced ways. That's not to say many people couldn't achieve the same, but most are either undermotivated or under-challanged to think and problem solve at the same level.

Last edited:

draliko

ok, i'll pass and wait from someone respectable on hw side to say how good it is, not some obscure indie developers. If maybe carmack tells me cerny is a genius i can get behind, maybe if someone not 1st party tells me they've done wonders i believe, not four random developers. And sorry i respect indie developers, they have great concepts sometimes but technically speaking....no boys, i respect the true engineers and programmers that have shwon me they can do wonders

GymWolf

I think you vastly underestimate how many people either aren't very intelligent or have underutilized intelligence. He builds consoles yes, might seem trivial or simplistic compared to other pursuits, but I'd go so far as to say that intellectually 99% of people have even more trivial pursuits, even upper-class individuals who have good high paying jobs. I'm a writer and developer, my dad is a civil engineer, my sister is a lawyer...but the amount of information and problem solving myself or they have to do can't be compared to something like building a console where new technological innovations are invented and implemented in efficient and balanced ways. That's not to say many people couldn't achieve the same, but most are either undermotivated or under-challanged to think and problem solve at the same level.
I think you understimate people and overstimate cerny's job tbh.

Him being more smart than 95% of world population is really a bizzare percentage...

I sell culinary professional equipment so i see the internal construction of stuff like giant fridges, dishwasher and other stuff and the level of intricacy is fucking nuts, i really don't think that a guy who project a top tier industrial fridge is less smart or capable than cerny, same for basically any othet guy who build shit up like modern engines on cars or smartphone etc.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Yup, he was in University of Berkeley at 15 or 16 and recruited by Atari at 17. Designed and coded his first commercial game at 18 and worked on some of the most historically significant games such as Sonic 2.

He also learned Japanese very quickly while he was working there. Many developers point to him as the 'smartest guy in the room' and most developers / coders and engineers are quite bright people.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
ok, i'll pass and wait from someone respectable on hw side to say how good it is, not some obscure indie developers. If maybe carmack tells me cerny is a genius i can get behind, maybe if someone not 1st party tells me they've done wonders i believe, not four random developers. And sorry i respect indie developers, they have great concepts sometimes but technically speaking....no boys, i respect the true engineers and programmers that have shwon me they can do wonders

Unproven devs with a lackluster game and only their second on the way begging for an exclusive deal is not a good source of unbiased information.

I didn't realize their last game released in Nov. So there's obviously not much time put into this game. Shit can't be a quality title if its releasing for Ps5 launch lol.

Kindjal

I'm sorry. Seriously. Can you imagine waking up out of a deep sleep and seeing this guys face hovering over you? I'd soil myself, and I haven't involuntarily self soiled in decades.

Soooooo... can we infer that you have voluntarily soiled yourself rather recently?

:messenger_beaming:

Edit:

So ... you've voluntarily self-soiled more recently? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Damn, beat me to it, lol.

Last edited:

Relativ9

I think you understimate people and overstimate cerny's job tbh.

Him being more smart than 95% of world population is really a bizzare percentage...

I sell culinary professional equipment so i see the internal construction of stuff like giant fridges, dishwasher and other stuff and the level of intricacy is fucking nuts, i really don't think that a guy who project a top tier industrial fridge is less smart or capable than cerny, same for basically any othet guy who build shit up like modern engines on cars or smartphone etc.

Okey so let's use that 95% number than, that would leave 5% of the world population smarter and doing the kind of innovation you describe in the last part of your post. So that number comes to 380 million people doing highly advanced design, mathematics, science and engineering? Seriously? I would be surprised if we have that many qualified professionals in those fields at all, let alone ones that are achieving at the top level.

GymWolf

Okey so let's use that 95% number than, that would leave 5% of the world population smarter and doing the kind of innovation you describe in the last part of your post. So that number comes to 380 million people doing highly advanced design, mathematics, science and engineering? Seriously? I would be surprised if we have that many qualified professionals in those fields at all, let alone ones that are achieving at the top level.
Well i'm not just talking about tech guys...doctors, scientist, lawyers, even people like bezos from amazon or other people who started successfull stuff, they are not less intelligent or smart than cerny.
Knowing techy stuff is not a requisite for being considerate smart.

The guy worked on ps3 that was a disaster in term of easy to use and had the ylod problem and he was the mind behind ps4 and ps4 pro, 2 of the most hottest and loudest console ever, he is far from perfect like some people think...

Relativ9

Well i'm not just talking about tech guys...doctors, scientist, lawyers, even people like bezos from amazon or other people who started successfull stuff, they are not less intelligent or smart than cerny.
Knowing techy stuff is not a requisite for being considerate smart.

The guy worked on ps3 that was a disaster in term of easy to use and had the ylod problem and he was the mind behind ps4 and ps4 pro, 2 of the most hottest and loudest console ever, he is far from perfect like some people think...

How many doctors are considered by their peers to be one of the smartest/best? How many of any profession rise to be at or near the very top their profession, not in terms of monetary gain but in terms of innovation? In the US there is roughly 1 lawyer per 300 people, that comes out to a little over a million lawyers in total, now consider that probably less than 1% of them are truly revolutionary thinkers that rutinely innovate in their field and pose new ethical questions that change the way sociaty thinks about law and the role of government in society; so that's about 1000 people (probably way less). Now expand that number to include any profession you want I don't care you can fucking claim that grocery workers should be included if you want, I'm sure there's a legitimate argument. But no matter how many catagories you want to include, you think that number will pass 380 million? Come on man.

I'm not saying he's perfect, but that type of thinking that is required to design something like this, even if the product fails and isn't "perfect", it's still far more than your average family doctor.

Last edited:

GymWolf

How many doctors are considered by their peers to be one of the smartest/best? How many of any profession rise to be at or near the very top their profession, not in terms of monetary gain but in terms of innovation? In the US there is roughly 1 lawyer per 300 people, that comes out to a little over a million lawyers in total, now consider that probably less than 1% of them are truly revolutionary thinkers that rutinely innovate in their field and pose new ethical questions that change the way sociaty thinks about law and the role of government in society; so that's about 1000 people (probably way less). Now expand that number to include any profession you want I don't care you can fucking claim that grocery workers should be included if you want, I'm sure there's a legitimate argument. But no matter how many catagories you want to include, you think that number will pass 380 million? Come on man.
We can agree than both of us really don't know how many people smart like cerny we have on our planet, i don't have proof and neither you.

Like i said, cerny is far from perfect, i cited a couple of example where his work was pretty questionable , plus him being behind a relatively shitty saga like knack, he is not the best techy guy in the videogame world my dude, you think a little bit too high of him while shitting on people who you don't even know.

Last edited:

martino

I'm not saying he's perfect, but that type of thinking that is required to design something like this, even if the product fails and isn't "perfect", it's still far more than your average family doctor.
How many are the face of a team effort ?

Relativ9

We can agree than both of us really don't know how many people smart like cerny we have on our planet, i don't have proof and neither you.

Like i said, cerny is far from perfect, i cited a couple of example where his work was pretty questionable , plus him being behind a relatively shitty saga like knack, he is not the best techy guy in the videogame world my dude, you think a little bit too high of him while shitting on people who you don't even know.

Well to be clear I don't know Cerny either, and I don't really praise him as anying special when compared to other designers of other electronics using innovative solutions or technology, the people designing high end fridges might very well be just as smart or smarter, that's not my argument. I don't know any of these people or the depth of their supposed brilliance, my argument isn't that I know that, my argument is that I know basic statistics, and the numbers are clear. We have a shit ton of people on the planet, and the vast VAST VAST majority of them do not innovate in their fields, if they did we wouldn't place such a high value on innovation.

I never really evangelized Cerny as some sort of tech genius unrivaled in the world of hardware design, other people here did that but not me, I simply objected to your objection that 380 million people or more were capable of or have already proven to think/innovate on the same level as Cerny or someone like him.

Last edited:

Relativ9

How many are the face of a team effort ?

Well sure, but he really is a designer though, and he really does contribute to the design and is considered by his peers to be one of the best. Again my argument was never that he was tech-jesus come to save us all, just that even if he weren't his past accomplishments alone puts him in at the very least the 5% percentile.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
From bashing developers to bashing the console system architect...well done!

Unproven devs with a lackluster game and only their second on the way begging for an exclusive deal is not a good source of unbiased information.

I didn't realize their last game released in Nov. So there's obviously not much time put into this game. Shit can't be a quality title if its releasing for Ps5 launch lol.

Still triggered AF huh?

Last edited:

martino

Well sure, but he really is a designer though, and he really does contribute to the design and is considered by his peers to be one of the best. Again my argument was never that he was tech-jesus come to save us all, just that even if he weren't his past accomplishments alone puts him in at the very least the 5% percentile.
imo :
Cerny without a team can't create a ps5
His team without him that's possible

Last edited:
Id rather have him talk about his own game

Quantum Error is still an unknown quantity at this point

People need to know more what the game is all about
It's inspired by DeadSpace. They showed some short gameplay, and it was decent. Much better than everything in-engine many bigger studios (like 100x times bigger) have showed us until now.

Gameplay >>>>>> in-engine cutscene, teaser, trailer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom