• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake revitalized edition officially rated for PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Series S/X, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

Fake

Is this game keep asking account or internet stuff by any means?

John from DF say he will make a video about today after Quakecon participation. Gonna looking foward before get this game.

MiguelItUp

Have y'all seen this? Getting this ASAP.

Apparently it's going to be available on Switch and PS4 on 8/27 for preorder.

Limited-Run-Quake-Ultimate-PS4-Physical.png

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Oh this is a very nice refresh I have to say. And as amazing as it is that the original still ran pretty well on modern systems, the upgrades are very welcome.

The old version was still based on GLQuake and still had that washed out look and some of the limitations that came with that version 25 years ago (different water effects, etc). It seems like they were thoughtful and focused more on improving image quality and fluidity rather than doing stuff that would seriously change the look (like adding new textures or normal/bump maps, that kind of thing).

There are a LOT of changes, not all of which are mentioned in the marketing. Here's what I've spotted:

Interpolated animation -- characters animate smoothly like Quake II
Dynamic lighting -- moving light sources create dynamic shadows
SSAO
Cinematic motion blur
Anti-aliasing
Widescreen
Colored lighting
Correct colors/gamma
Toggle texture filtering on and off
New water effect more similar to the original software renderer.
Improved character models (think: Quake III quality, still retro-looking)
All expansions integrated
Support for downloadable content/mods similar to recent Doom releases -- includes Quake 64 as the first free DLC

There's also a new episode, which seems short but pushes the engine harder than the original could and has some cool ideas, albeit obnoxiously hard like a lot of these things tend to be.

Quake 2 is better
Said no one ever.

Dude check it out. It's super high quality and adds motion to flying grenades and nails. At least on oled at 120hz. And yes - 120hz is still not high enough to totally not use motion blur... When I had 240hz monitor and games running at 240hz.... then I felt there are enough frames to disable "good" motion blur :p
Maybe it looks like shit on lcd, I don't know
I really like the motion blur too, it's the good "cinematic" kind that just gives it a kind of shot on film look but isn't overbearing. It's off by default, of course.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
OK played some on steam and it's a great port !
-4k, 120 fps all works great.
-DISABLE vsync and use nvidia control panel one. It caused a great lag. I am playing with gsync on lg c1 at 120hz(Always have nvcp vsync on and rtss cap to 120) and it felt really bad with in game vsync. Surprisingly, once I disabled it, the game capped to 119fps so I guess nvidia control panel vsync (which I have globally on) does something different
-Thank god an option to enable headbob and disable crosshair.
-Thank god texture smoothing is optional
-And (You can laugh all you want) but the motion blur implementation is crazy good looking. I checked it out quickly and it looks like one of these old motion blur techniques only possible if You ran quake at 900fps and downscaled to 60 with motion blur shader. It looks really nice. And it applies to flying objects. Check it out !
-WTF is "split direction" in options? Anyone?
the way the screen splits for 2 players, either split in half vertically or horizontally

This is fantastic, so happy tohave this today. Setting the FOV in these games always makes me feel slightly sick, it really exaggerates the feeling of horizontal movement for me.
I haven't played Quake for absolutely years and I've never actually played Quake 64 but I was a big fan of both PS1 Doom and N64 Doom and they were both different enough to the original games to be well worth playing if you on;y know the PC versions.
For some reason the music seems stupidly quiet in the PS4 version, I've set Music to 10 and Sound to 3 to balance it out.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Quake has just been released on the Nintendo Switch, and it is quite the impressive enhanced port! Watch Joey play through the first few levels and demonstrate the visual customization options.

So people really do still have hope for this? Enjoy the ride then. Starfield and the new Elder Scrolls and Red Fall will never go to Playstation. The fact this game is available to so many platforms, even last gen xbox and playstation, should already tell you everything you need to know.

This is the "and there may be some legacy things that we'll go do" part of what Phil Spencer said and I also expect MMOs to make the crossover.
Game had online mp with cross play. So makes sense its on more platforms. I can only see big sp game being exclusive

Microsofts CFO already said games would show up first or best on xbox. Phil Spencer said legacy titles will still be multiplatform. My guess is Red Fall and starfield will be timed exclusives maybe for a year or 2 before we start to hear rumors swirling of ps5 ports. Phil spencer was recently on an ign podcast and the host asked him if the new elder scrolls will be exclusive, and phils answer was never shown.
Releasing 1 orc2 years late after Xbox and then charging 70$ from PS fanboys is smart strategy

Anki

Banned
I really don't get why are you excited. I mean we can play quake with mods and it will look even better.
Am i missing something? What is so exciting about this release?

Wonko_C

Wonder if this was even playtested on consoles. Aiming is terrible on Xbox
Try disabling aim assist and increase sensitivity to 10. It improved a bit for me.

That being said yes the port has issues: I'm getting microfreezes (complete with sound skipping) on Xbox One every few steps.

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
On steam my resolution settings is high medium low. What do I pick for 1440p? Did I choose the wrong edition or something?

Last edited:

tommib

Just finished Episode 1. It’s the release of the year next to Returnal IMO. They really don’t make them like they used to. The level design is timeless in its complexity. But why is the music so low on the mix? They need to patch that quick. I have the music at 10 and sound at 7 but it’s still too low. I need Reznor in my veins louder!

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Just got off playing five levels.

Wonderful. I got Doom, Doom 2, Doom 64, Duke 3d, and now Quake on the PS4. I need Wolf 3d, RTCW, Heretic, Hexen, ROTT, Unreal, UT99, UT2004, and UT3 on my PS4/PS5. Where da Blake Stone at?!
This dude gets it.
Seems after fanboying that dogshit of a king of fighters modern crap.. you like your classics

Last edited:
What a lovely surprise. Playing with unfiltered textures after all these years i amazing.
What's the word on Quake 2? They added it to the Microsoft store today but it isn't remastered?

Dream-Knife

Banned
Anyone having any weird issues on PC? When I initially booted it up all environments were black. Quit out of it and the next time it closed randomly when I selected new game. Next time it seemed to be working. Booted it up again and it closed on me on the title screen.

Never had any issues like this before in any other game.

This dude gets it.
Seems after fanboying that dogshit of a king of fighters modern crap.. you like your classics
Fuck that. Kof 15 looks hype. Honestly I'd prefer the base gameplay of a 98 rather then max combos like 2002um or 13. But 15 has a good look and looks like it plays well. Kof 14 played well too.

Aldynes

I'm gonna play the shit out of it, I didn't grew up with Quake sadly when I was young I wanted the Saturn port so bad, didn't had a PC a the time and when I finally do, Quake 2 was out, didn't wanted to buy the original after that, finally years later I bought the N64 port, had a blast playing it, now it's time to finally revisit the game while having the Nine inch nails OST banging!

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
This is awesome, I'm definitely getting the PS5 copy. I still remember being surprised by a zombie when I played the original at may cousin's and knocking down the keyboard.

This is so much easier to control using motion controls on the PS5.
Believe me, I'm really surprised I'm saying that but it only took a few minutes to get the hang of it, I use the two sticks as normal and the motion controls just and another level of finesse to aiming. It's so much easier to stay on target when you and your target are both moving at full speed.
I really hope that they manage to either remove or at least improve the filter they're using in Quake 64.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
They say a remaster should look like how you remember a game looking, not how it actually looked and that really applies here. Going back and playing the original (still included on PC) is pretty night and day. There are a lot of little changes that add up to a lot, but none of them get in the way of the general "look and feel". Even the remade enemy and weapon models keep the retro aesthetic and copy the art style close enough that you might not even think about them at first, even though they look much better side by side. It's a very thoughtful remaster.

It's the total opposite from Quake II RTX which is reworked to the point of being barely recognizable. Which is cool in its own right but it doesn't feel like a definitive version.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This is so much easier to control using motion controls on the PS5.
Believe me, I'm really surprised I'm saying that but it only took a few minutes to get the hang of it, I use the two sticks as normal and the motion controls just and another level of finesse to aiming. It's so much easier to stay on target when you and your target are both moving at full speed.
I really hope that they manage to either remove or at least improve the filter they're using in Quake 64.
I have Quake 1 on my n64 at home. With a crt.
They 100% nailed the look imo

Kagey K

Banned
I'm as annoyed that quake 2 isn't another surreal what ever the disjointed world of quake 1 was sequel , but it's still a great game
I would have been happy if they even made the Quake 2 360 port bc today.

I love Quake 2 and haven't been through it in a long time.

Stuart360

I would have been happy if they even made the Quake 2 360 port bc today.

I love Quake 2 and haven't been through it in a long time.
I'm one of the few that actually prefered Quake 2 over Quake. Love both games though, but the Sci-Fi setting was more my thing.
I'm sure Quake 2, and 3 probably, will get the Nightdive treatment at some point.

Last edited:

Brofist

This has no bearing on the newer Bethesda games coming out on other platforms. It’s an older game that’s been on everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom