• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake reboot or sequel is happening

Yeah, something like that.

Problem is even Quake Champions isnt fully complete. Its still in its early access/adding a fighter every few months. I wouldnt get excited now for another quake PVP when they cant even complete this one nor is it popular. I haven't played Doom Eternal but remember Doom 2016...that was the shittiest online ever. It didnt even have classic death match lol. This team is so out of touch of what made these games so great in MP.

Doczu

Please don't make it another MP only Quake. After Doom and Wolfenstein i would love a reboot of Quake.

Thing is, aint easy to choose which one they should re-boot. Itwon't be easy to make something like Quake 1.
And i'd rather see another Strogg campaign. II is better than I.
Anyone who disagrees... Well, fok julle naaiers!

SpokkX

Doom Eternal really felt like a modern spiritual successot to Quake 1 - gameplay wise

and the story really hints at Quake here and there

myself i think they will merge the series

the third modern doom:

Doom: Quake (or something)

Last edited:

Calverz

A Quake PVP arena shooter would fit nicely in Microsoft's plans one would think.
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Wasnt there a Quake game by Epic not too long ago?

What happened to that?
Epic doesn't own the Quake IP. They can't make a Quake game. Not without getting sued by Zenimax (and now Microsoft) anyway.

They were working on a new Unreal Tournament game though, but they shelved it once they realized that Fortnite was making them way more money.

Last edited:
Epic doesn't own the Quake IP. They can't make a Quake game. Not without getting sued by Zenimax (and now Microsoft) anyway.

They were working on a new Unreal Tournament game though, but they shelved it once they realized that Fortnite was making them way more money.
Ah, I was confusing it with Unreal Tournament then. No wonder.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
He was saying that the plot of the Doom Eternal expansions directly sets up the creation of the Cthulhu-like Gods featured in Quake 1. So he seems to think that id are planning a Quake reboot that takes place after the Doom games.
So that means that the tile of the OP KyoZz KyoZz is just plainly misleading. After all, it says it is happening.

When clearly, its more a case of ''Random dude connects some dots and seems to think that the resultant dots mean something.''

FireFly

So that means that the tile of the OP KyoZz KyoZz is just plainly misleading. After all, it says it is happening.

When clearly, its more a case of ''Random dude connects some dots and seems to think that the resultant dots mean something.''
Well it's tagged as a rumour. Tyler has a decent reputation as a Valve leaker, and knew about internal projects that were only publicised after HL:A. Now he's trying to branch out into non-Valve stuff, so it remains to be seen what his success will be like.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

That random dude is from Valve News Network...
AND it's tagged with rumor
And finally, the question is literally: Any information about a potential Quake 1 reboot or sequel ?
He then answer YES (that part I get it) but then he explain something directly related to the lore of Doom/Quake so rather than doing a bad traduction, I prefer to ask a fellow Gaffer to help me get it right.

Redneckerz

Well it's tagged as a rumour. Tyler has a decent reputation as a Valve leaker, and knew about internal projects that were only publicised after HL:A. Now he's trying to branch out into non-Valve stuff, so it remains to be seen what his success will be like.
Alright then.
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

That random dude is from Valve News Network...
That says very little to me.
But it says something to you so ill concede.

AND it's tagged with rumor
Would the inclusion of might be something?

And finally, the question is literally: Any information about a potential Quake 1 reboot or sequel ?
He then answer YES (that part I get it) but then he explain something directly related to the lore of Doom/Quake so rather than doing a bad traduction, I prefer to ask a fellow Gaffer to help me get it right.
See above, if that is what you mean.

FUBARx89

And just like that, iD software continues to break my console peasent heart.

Fond memories of Quake 2 and Quake 3 Arena. The rest (bar 1) don't exist in my world, even with the excellent stroggification scene in Quake 4.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Alright then.

That says very little to me.
But it says something to you so ill concede.

Would the inclusion of might be something?

See above, if that is what you mean.
He's been quite reliable with previous stuff and he's never pulled anything out of his ass in my knowledge.
And it's tagged with 'Rumor' so you shouldn't take anything in thread like this for an official declaration, adding "might" won't change a thing. As I read the response on this thread you are the only one thinking it's misleading, so...

Redneckerz

He's been quite reliable with previous stuff and he's never pulled anything out of his ass in my knowledge.
And it's tagged with 'Rumor' so you shouldn't take anything in thread like this for an official declaration, adding "might" won't change a thing.
Given Graven and Ion Fury it may seem like the right time.
As I read the response on this thread you are the only one thinking it's misleading, so...
Admittely i geniunely did not see the rumor tag. Selective blindness i suppose.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Idk how they could a make a new quake and it not just seem like a doom expansion unless it is multiplayer only. 🤷‍♂️

Cravis

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I want the dark gritty medieval/modern meshing of the original with all the Lovecraft inspired trimmings. If so, yes please day one.

Please don’t do the man/machine hybrids of the sequels. Easy pass for me if they go that route.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
bill goldberg mic drop GIF by WWE
Quake will have to work its way through games like COD, Battlefield is another one but Quake was good prior to those franchises, it might work out, it’s fast gameplay is undeniable and it could take on shooters like APEX, and GEARS really just disrupt the FPS world.

So the rumor is this random guy saying Ancient Gods Part II sets up the possibility of a Quake reboot? Am I hearing this right?

Calverz

A remake of quake 1 would be amazing. Il happily forego the excellent multiplayer if it means we get a story based campaign.

Togh

Eh, I never really cared for single player campaign in any Quake game, much like in fighting games I'm there for the versus modes and I think that the majority of the community of these genres (fight and arena shooters) thinks the same. That said, I'm very happy with what they delivered with Quake Champions, it's a good modern take on the formula. Some people think that giving each character their own abilities automatically turn the game into a MOBA (like Overwatch and Paladins) but they couldn't be more wrong, I think it's great to give each character their own individuality (instead of a lot of characters that plays the same, like on Quake 3), it gives the game a layer of strategy on top of the fast-paced gameplay and also opens a window of different play styles. Of course, for those that are more conservative on that front, there's always a mode were they can play without enabling champions abilities, for the game to work like the old ones. Not to count that there are classic modes like rocket arena and Capture the Flag that are a lot of fun to play.

Anyone here watches the Quake Pro League? I think that even the most nostalgic that are salty about the new game would get hyped as hell watching it because most of the matches are mad crazy. Here's some of the matches of the Stage 2 of the Quake Pro League that happened last weekend:

niilokin

So the rumor is this random guy saying Ancient Gods Part II sets up the possibility of a Quake reboot? Am I hearing this right?
hell the way they set the story now it wouldn't surprise me they trying to include that and worlds of Cronos (Hexen & Heretic) into the universe

edit: nevermind, I forgot Heretic& Hexen are Raven IPs

Last edited:

Kydd BlaZe

Remake Quake 1 and 2.
I dont care for Arena or a deathmatch Quake game as popular as they were. Give me a single player Quake game
Same. Hell I’d even take a sequel to Quake 4. Just to continue the story. If this is another Arena style MP only game, I’m not interested. Although I will say that it’s kind of hard to believe that another Quake campaign is on the horizon seeing as how similar it would be to Doom. And with Wolfenstein and Rage these franchises could get pretty redundant for Microsoft.

magnumpy

trent reznor did a crap job on the original sound track. other than the minute and a half opening theme the rest of the soundtrack was throwaway trash garbage. complete junk and filth :(

They managed to bring Doom back from the dead, so there is a chance they can do the same with Quake.

As far as singleplayer they have all doors open for them to do whatever they want. My only problem is that unfortunately, multiplayer will be a second thought if a thought at all. Which is a shame because Quake and Doom redefined online play. Of course im basing this off the new Doom games as well as Quake Champions that still hasnt released as a full release but is in some early access and they are doing nothing to promote it, its getting forgotten before its officially out.

jaysius

Banned
Eh, I never really cared for single player campaign in any Quake game, much like in fighting games I'm there for the versus modes and I think that the majority of the community of these genres (fight and arena shooters) thinks the same. That said, I'm very happy with what they delivered with Quake Champions, it's a good modern take on the formula. Some people think that giving each character their own abilities automatically turn the game into a MOBA (like Overwatch and Paladins) but they couldn't be more wrong, I think it's great to give each character their own individuality (instead of a lot of characters that plays the same, like on Quake 3), it gives the game a layer of strategy on top of the fast-paced gameplay and also opens a window of different play styles. Of course, for those that are more conservative on that front, there's always a mode were they can play without enabling champions abilities, for the game to work like the old ones. Not to count that there are classic modes like rocket arena and Capture the Flag that are a lot of fun to play.

Anyone here watches the Quake Pro League? I think that even the most nostalgic that are salty about the new game would get hyped as hell watching it because most of the matches are mad crazy. Here's some of the matches of the Stage 2 of the Quake Pro League that happened last weekend:

The part of that match that you clipped at shows why that game isn’t as big as it could be, that match is slow and fucking boring, quake is supposed to be seat of your pants fun manic chaos with rails, not 2 guys bored and barely engaging and not killing each other.

We need old Quake back not Quake destroyed with shitty mechanics like they did with all those dumb timer punch/chainsaw/flamethrpower bullshit in Eternal.

Doom 2016 was SIMPLE but incredibly fun. Eternal added useless mechanics that bogged shit down and changed what new Doom should be.

Last edited:

Danknugz

Always had mixed feelings about Quake. As a technical marvel, it was very good at the time. Art design and concept wise though I felt like it was a step back from DOOM. Maybe that was just me. I always felt the early 3D low res stuff looked way uglier than pixel art ever did.

A big reason I was let down is the development of Quake. It was originally going to have RPG D&D elements and all this other stuff. The game sounded like it was going to be revolutionary, but it turned out to be just another shooter. I let myself get too hyped by reading the DOOM dev team's Quake documents on BBSes. At one point wasn't Quake the name of the hammer you had or something? It was like Thor's hammer, or something, I'm not sure. They had some expansive plans for it before it became a more straightforward shooter and was released as the follow up to DOOM.

A reboot could work, I suppose you would mostly be in grungy castles, fighting Dark Souls style dudes and monsters, and the Cthulu guys. There is plenty material there to work with. If they could wedge in a bunch of the RPG D&D style proto-Quake stuff, that would be a bonus.
From what I remember, carmack talked a lot about melee combat in the early stages but I don’t recall it going as far as rpg d&d elements.

Excess

would modern Quake not be exactly the same as modern Doom? what would they do to differentiate it?
Maybe it was just me, but as a kid, I felt Quake was much scarier and had an almost horror vibe to it, as opposed to Doom. I don't know if that was a result of the enhanced technical capabilities, but fuck it scared the shit out of me, especially with the Nine Inch Nails music.

So if I'm not the only one, I would expect this one to return to a more serious tone of horror.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I think it's logical, they'll most likely have diminishing returns if they make another direct sequel to Doom (as good as the new ones were). Hopefully it's sp focused and has a hub, not interested in mp at all.

Top Bottom