• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle Bobble VR announced for Oculus Quest.

Wonko_C

Developed by Survios (Sprint Vector, Raw Data, Creed, The Walking Dead Onslaught)

I have only played Puzzle Bobble like two times in an arcade so I'm not excatly a fan, but this being in VR has me very interested.

I'd love to see more classic franchises get new games in VR. Gradius, Bionic Commando, Final Fight, Castlevania, Mega Man, Chrono Trigger, Shinobi, Double Dragon, OutRun... the list would never end.

Rudius

Developed by Survios (Sprint Vector, Raw Data, Creed, The Walking Dead Onslaught)

I'd love to see more classic franchises get new games in VR. Gradius, Bionic Commando, Final Fight, Castlevania, Mega Man, Chrono Trigger, Shinobi, Double Dragon, OutRun... the list would never end.
A nice way to adapt 2D games to VR would be to present them in a theater, in 2.5D style, similar to what Puppeteer did on the flat screen.

McCheese

Finally, something I can play on Quest that isn't a shitty tech demo that I pay full price for.

I replied just to call you out on this, then after staring at my reply for 5 minutes have come to realise that you're sorta right. I love the Quest, but most of the titles I play are high replayability things like Beat Saber, Gun Club, VR Chat etc; and there really isn't a single game in my Quest library that I would say is jam-packed with content. Especially when compared to PSVR which has Skyrim, Astrobot, and Borderlands to sink your teeth into.

That "Puzzle Bobble VR" screenshot is clearly just concept art. It seems weird to announce this when they don't even have anything to show yet. If it plays like that concept art implies it does, I'm already bored of the game from just looking at it.

Was tempted to double-dip on Tetris Effect, but the Touch controllers don't have a d-pad so was a bit worried about how that would control.

Last edited:

Holammer

Well, the game appears to be Puzzle Bobble in a 3D environment and just not regular 2D plane PB in VR like Tetris Effect. Gotta give 'em some credit for that.
But screw VR! Release Touhou Spell Bubble in the west instead. Taito making a game based on Touhou is just beautiful (Zun worked there). Preferably on PC too, where it belongs.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I have only played Puzzle Bobble like two times in an arcade so I'm not excatly a fan...

Remove your thread 😡😡😡

DarkestHour

Banned
I replied just to call you out on this, then after staring at my reply for 5 minutes have come to realise that you're sorta right. I love the Quest, but most of the titles I play are high replayability things like Beat Saber, Gun Club, VR Chat etc; and there really isn't a single game in my Quest library that I would say is jam-packed with content. Especially when compared to PSVR which has Skyrim, Astrobot, and Borderlands to sink your teeth into.

That "Puzzle Bobble VR" screenshot is clearly just concept art. It seems weird to announce this when they don't even have anything to show yet. If it plays like that concept art implies it does, I'm already bored of the game from just looking at it.

Was tempted to double-dip on Tetris Effect, but the Touch controllers don't have a d-pad so was a bit worried about how that would control.

Do you have a PC? I just started dabbling with ALVR to use SteamVR with the Quest. It has some issues but it's pretty rad.

I'm all ears too if you have suggestions on Quest games though. I've only had it for a short time now and have only purchased Beat Saber and Drunken Bar Fight.

Last edited:
interesting. Survios is one of the true pioneer VR studios, good thing to see them teaming up with Taito, themselves pioneers of flat gaming with Space Invaders.

Puzzle-Bobble-VR_06-24-20-600x338.jpg

so gameplay will be slingshot-based. I hope they allow you to turn off the guideline, so it becomes more challenging and based on real targeting skill, like in Angry Birds VR/AR.

don't see why this can't eventually reach psvr...

speaking of the devil, Angry Birds VR months ago got a nice level editor and now you can also share the levels with other folks:

nice, this is now pretty much Angry Birds Maker. If you enjoy carefully setting up huge explosions from simple physics reactions, this is tons of fun besides the main game campaign.

Wonko_C

Why not? I'm all for VR being used to revive classic arcade and console games that had run their course in a 2D format. Bring back Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Pac-Man, Double Dragon, Metroid, Space Harrier, Ridge Racer, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom