• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushing the envelope: Achieving next-level clouds in Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores

ChiefDada

Gold Member
https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...uds-in-horizon-forbidden-west-burning-shores/

The world of Horizon is vast and majestic, featuring lush landscapes crowned by seemingly endless skies. When the team at Guerrilla began creating this world, developers of various disciplines considered how to bring an immersive level of life to the world. For Guerrilla’s Atmospherics team, this meant populating the skies with lifelike clouds.

This work was evolved for Horizon Forbidden West. And now, in Burning Shores, Aloy will soar through more breathtaking, realistic skies than ever before.

G0Zz1zA.jpg

vWzgdAX.jpg

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
And not just for show:

"It was important to us to make the experience fun and joyful on its own outside of the main gameplay. The clouds are not simply immersive scenery but an explorable landscape in themselves. Among the clouds, players will be able to explore tunnels, caves, and other surprises that make for fun flying,"says Andrew.

shubik

The screenshots look phenomenal. Guess I have to replay the game. No way I remember the combat after all these months...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
"The solution [Horizon Zero Dawn] was to paint fixed layers of clouds rather than individual formations. But this process would need to be expanded to support the addition of flying mounts in Horizon Forbidden West.

For the sequel, Andrew and Nathan upgraded the rendering quality of the base system used in Zero Dawn, expanding it to support a new fog-like cloud that the player could fly through at low altitudes. This allowed for awe-inspiring atmospherics, like a superstorm with sinister vortex motion and internal lightning effects. Now, the clouds were a character of their own, rumbling with atmospheric tension."

Kate Upton Model GIF

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
And not just for show:

What the fuck?! I literally just clocked that Aloy was on top of that - I guess it looks like a Glinthawk.

Time to finish this game (got to the hideout on highest difficulty and god damn, while - like the first game - the difficulty does make you feel like an actual hunter, preparing to take down dangerous prey, boy oh boy was I raging at some moments).

. . .so this is confirming that there ARE more graphical updates coming to the game? The update from where it launched looks damn good (game already did) but if they are squeezing more out of this -

Kvally

Banned
Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
For the budget gamer sure. Your missing the biggest library in the world though on the PC side, and the best visuals and new experiences. IF money is not a factor than you are missing Pc.
Yeah, being that I am not a PC gamer, I do miss out on great games. I want WoW and ARMA 3 and iRacing on console for example, but that won't happen :(

Oh...and...

green bay packers nfl GIF

AlexxKidd

And not just for show:

Yeah this sounds great. Flying was already amazing in Forbidden West, too. The mechanics of being able to jump off your bird at any time or jump and grapple on to it mid-air was great once you got the hang of it. The only problem was that it was a bit slow/floaty-ish to control, which I assume was due to PS4 rendering limitations, we'll see if it controls any different in the DLC

Top Bottom