• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PuLiRuLa...an amazing game watered down to ONE moment...and how that constantly happens in gaming

VGEsoterica

PuLiRuLa...what can I say about it? Yes...there is ONE SCENE where a pair of womens legs are coming through two doors...with a third door in the middle of said legs...which opens up to an animated background of the universe while pink elephants leap out...it's...well...different! Yeah...that's what I'll call it lolol

But damn it there's also a whole OTHER game contained within the game itself which is colorful, charming, unique, fun to play and wholly different from almost every other beat em up on the market. It just always seems to show up on " Top 10 weirdest moments in gaming" lists...and NOTHING else. Which really seems unfair as it diminishes an awesome game down to one singular twenty second moment and probably keeps more people from experiencing an awesome beat em up game.

Which got me thinking...what other games get diminished to one scene / instance / moment in the game? I am talking "Chris punches boulder in Resident Evil 5" or "No Russians" in COD...scenes or moments that seem to define an entire game even if they aren't at the core what the entire game is about exactly. Or how Rule of Rose gets stigma for content matter that doesn't even exist in the game...just rumored

I thought long and hard and I was struggling to come up with more but it's an interesting thought.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

also so you can see said legs and elephants lol....but seriously if you've never played PuLiRuLa...go play it. It's legit

STARSBarry

Gold Member
FINAL FANTASY VII has a moment like that, it's iconic for those who have played it, for others.... go on take a stab at guessing what it is.

Last edited:
I am talking "Chris punches boulder in Resident Evil 5"
Yea, mashing buttons to punch the boulder was some Press X to Jason levels of dumb.

Wouldn't mind mashing buttons to hear "CHRRRIIIIIIISSSSSSS!!!" over and over though, Wesker was too badass for this world.

Kuranghi

Heheh, quirky game, I can see why you love it. Great music and animations as you say. I'd be intrigued to see it with a CRT filter, is that something you go in for when emulating VGEsoterica VGEsoterica ?

I don't think I've ever seen you using them so I presume you're what I like to call a "chunky-boy", ie you prefer the raw pixels. Although I just realised you are probably playing most of these games natively or on a CRT at least given the unported intro video.

Clearly the pink elephants weren't meant to be rude, they represented... yeah I dunno lol, they should've used a pink mussel that would've been more subtle! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
PuLiRuLa...what can I say about it? Yes...there is ONE SCENE where a pair of womens legs are coming through two doors...with a third door in the middle of said legs...which opens up to an animated background of the universe while pink elephants leap out...it's...well...different! Yeah...that's what I'll call it lolol

But damn it there's also a whole OTHER game contained within the game itself which is colorful, charming, unique, fun to play and wholly different from almost every other beat em up on the market. It just always seems to show up on " Top 10 weirdest moments in gaming" lists...and NOTHING else. Which really seems unfair as it diminishes an awesome game down to one singular twenty second moment and probably keeps more people from experiencing an awesome beat em up game.

Which got me thinking...what other games get diminished to one scene / instance / moment in the game? I am talking "Chris punches boulder in Resident Evil 5" or "No Russians" in COD...scenes or moments that seem to define an entire game even if they aren't at the core what the entire game is about exactly. Or how Rule of Rose gets stigma for content matter that doesn't even exist in the game...just rumored

I thought long and hard and I was struggling to come up with more but it's an interesting thought.
With the attention spans people have these days and the sheer variety of games available, remembering any scene is pretty powerful for a single game.

The adage is you can't judge a book by its cover and that generally holds true for a variety of subjects. You can't judge a game by the one image that gets bandied about.

That being said I watched the video you posted and I don't see why this game is worth even remembering for that one scene. You yourself said it's B tier gameplay at best. Maybe you saw those legs at a sensitive time during puberty and it stuck with you for some reason? Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

VGEsoterica

With the attention spans people have these days and the sheer variety of games available, remembering any scene is pretty powerful for a single game.

The adage is you can't judge a book by its cover and that generally holds true for a variety of subjects. You can't judge a game by the one image that gets bandied about.

That being said I watched the video you posted and I don't see why this game is worth even remembering for that one scene. You yourself said it's B tier gameplay at best. Maybe you saw those legs at a sensitive time during puberty and it stuck with you for some reason? Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
I think it’s more “B tier gameplay” but such a unique and charming game it becomes better than its actual gameplay elements.

is it the best beat em up ever? No. Do I prefer it to some mechanically better games that lack a lot of the charm and attention to detail? Definitely :)

VGEsoterica

Heheh, quirky game, I can see why you love it. Great music and animations as you say. I'd be intrigued to see it with a CRT filter, is that something you go in for when emulating VGEsoterica VGEsoterica ?

I don't think I've ever seen you using them so I presume you're what I like to call a "chunky-boy", ie you prefer the raw pixels. Although I just realised you are probably playing most of these games natively or on a CRT at least given the unported intro video.

Clearly the pink elephants weren't meant to be rude, they represented... yeah I dunno lol, they should've used a pink mussel that would've been more subtle! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yeah if I’m not playing on a CRT I want those big pixels. I’m not really a fan of anything else

Kuranghi

Yeah if I’m not playing on a CRT I want those big pixels. I’m not really a fan of anything else

I just love the depth the filter adds, I emulated games throughout my whole childhood with just raw pixels (I tried upscaling stuff that upscales and rounds the pixels out and hated it back then and even more now), but when I saw the difference with side by sides it can make I was convinced a few years back.

Top Bottom