• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PubG Receives Next Gen Optimization Patch for PS5 - Series S|X

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Console graphics options​

Here are the new PUBG graphics options on every console.

Xbox Series X​

• 60fps
  • 4K resolution
  • Anti-alaising: FXAA or TAA

PS5​

“When connected to a 4K display”
  • 60fps
  • QHD (1440p)
“When connected to a non-4K display”
  • 60fps
  • FHD (1080p)

Xbox Series S​

• 60fps
  • FHD (1080p)
  • Anti-aliasing: FXAA

Last edited:

adamsapple

4k 60fps, great news, my son still plays this.

Fortnite took away most of its cake but PubG still has a sizable audience that plays it, I suppose. Hence this late of an optimization patch.

Dr.Morris79

Ironically I was going to reinstall this the other day only to read it's mostly bots?

Is that right? Bots? In a Battle royale?

Seems weird if true..

adamsapple

Ironically I was going to reinstall this the other day only to read it's mostly bots?

Seems weird if true..

I can't say about the console version, but on mobile they populate with bots so it becomes easier for the new players to get some kills and get 'hooked' onto the game.

adamsapple

BC game, 60fps patch.

Going by the wording on their official website, it seems like it's a native app, separate from a BC version. The patch goes live on the 12th and the file info on xbox will show for sure if its gen9 or gen9aware.

Also, with the support from the platform holders, it became possible to differentiate between the previous generation (PlayStation®4/4 Slim/Pro, Xbox One/One S/One X) and the current generation consoles.

Gudji

Going by the wording on their official website, it seems like it's a native app, separate from a BC version. The patch goes live on the 12th and the file info on xbox will show for sure if its gen9 or gen9aware.

Its not a native app otherwise it would be 4k.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Also, with the support from the platform holders, it became possible to differentiate between the previous generation (PlayStation®4/4 Slim/Pro, Xbox One/One S/One X) and the current generation consoles.

Kind of makes it sound native

Mr Moose

[/URL]
That's not how I read that, that reads like "the platform holders made it easy to tell it's a PS5/Series console so we can do 60fps patch" to me.

Native versions don't need to "differentiate between the previous generation (PlayStation®4/4 Slim/Pro, Xbox One/One S/One X) and the current generation consoles", screams BC 60fps patch to me.

Last edited:

intbal

Seems weird if true..

It was going in that direction last year.
When they made it 100% free to own and play on console at the start of this year, lots of previous players jumped back in.
It's been pretty good most of this year.
Although it seems like maybe 50% or more of players use KB/M adapters, which gives them a nearly insurmountable advantage. But I've still managed a handful of chicken dinners since February.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
That's not how I read that, that reads like "the platform holders made it easy to tell it's a PS5/Series console so we can do 60fps patch" to me.

Native versions don't need to "differentiate between the previous generation (PlayStation®4/4 Slim/Pro, Xbox One/One S/One X) and the current generation consoles", screams BC 60fps patch to me.
Easy to find out by looking at the file info.

I tried to play this game a few times. It is the most atrocious, the most slow paced and the most boring Battle Royale I have ever experienced. Whoever did the shooting mechanics needs to get hanged, gunplay is awful. I will never understand why people like this garbage of a game.

I remember when it came out, it looked like a game from early 2000s despite running on UE4. The optimization was trash tier too. Kudos for them keeping the game alive though and updating it for those who like it.

Happy for those who like it, but this is not for me.

Last edited:
I tried to play this game a few times. It is the most atrocious, the most slow paced and the most boring Battle Royale I have ever experienced. Whoever did the shooting mechanics needs to get hanged, gunplay is awful. I will never understand why people like this garbage of a game.

I remember when it came out, it looked like a game from early 2000s despite running on UE4. The optimization was trash tier too. Kudos for them keeping the game alive though and updating it for those who like it.

Hanged? Bit much don’t you think? It’s certainly not the best but it’s a good time with friends.

MaKTaiL

Ps5 can’t do 4K on this? Wtf?
first time GIF

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Lol even if wording appears confusing, does that sound logical when PS4 pro is 1440p/30fps and One X is running 4k/30fps? It's clearly a BC patch.

Rawker

The gunplay is unmatched. There are plenty of different types of gamers, PUBG is for those who like fair competitive multiplayer shooters. It's not an easy game to be good at which is why people get discouraged, bash it, quit, and move on to instant gratification games.

Anyways, this is great news but I'm scared of the residual effects. The people who port this to console are not very efficient at their jobs.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Lol even if wording appears confusing, does that sound logical when PS4 pro is 1440p/30fps and One X is running 4k/30fps? It's clearly a BC patch.
I guess people are going to read into what they want

Makes me no difference really I own it on all platforms though haven't played it in a very long time but might check it out again after this patch

The gunplay is unmatched. There are plenty of different types of gamers, PUBG is for those who like fair competitive multiplayer shooters. It's not an easy game to be good at which is why people get discouraged, bash it, quit, and move on to instant gratification games.

Anyways, this is great news but I'm scared of the residual effects. The people who port this to console are not very efficient at their jobs.
Ehh not sure if I agree about the fairness of competitive shooters. Every competitive shooter has their ups and down when it comes to gunplay.

I really like the way Halo Infinite feels with shooting. But Halo Infinite sometimes has the problem of whoever usually hits first wins and there are rare cases where the person who's hitting 2nd kills you. Also, the guns in that game feel very different and fun to use.

Fortnite shooting is also fantastic, I think it's the best out of all the BRs in terms of gunplay. I don't like the building and I'll admit it's cause I suck at it and I respect those that are good at it. Thankfully, the no build mode is dope.

Not a fan of Apex Legends, art style and gunplay in that game irritate the hell out of me.

Warzone is good, but the issue I have with that game is that the color pallete is to bland and boring that everything looks same and that's a turn off.

As you can tell by now I am a very picky individual with what I like and don't.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Any screenshots or video?

I purchased this game when it first came out due to all the hype and absolutely hated it.

I felt like I was controlling a tank, in one of the worst looking/un-optimised games ever.

Dr.Morris79

I can't say about the console version, but on mobile they populate with bots so it becomes easier for the new players to get some kills and get 'hooked' onto the game.
Ah well that makes sense, reel em in.

It was going in that direction last year.
When they made it 100% free to own and play on console at the start of this year, lots of previous players jumped back in.
It's been pretty good most of this year.
Although it seems like maybe 50% or more of players use KB/M adapters, which gives them a nearly insurmountable advantage. But I've still managed a handful of chicken dinners since February.
I didnt even know they'd made it free to play! I feel a bit ripped I paid £25 now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I left it installing after I posted and got on with some work. Upon trying it I can see it's certainly changed a hell of a lot, i'll be on the Xbox so no doubt i'll be stuffed by keyboard players but I didnt mind what I saw. Will be checking it out a bit more me thinks.

Eh, not really. Even if you have a 1080p TV, you'll benefit greatly from super sampling AA from 1440p->1080p instead of just running a flat native 1080p ... if both those profiles are running at 60hz.
I mainly mean for the games that struggle to hit 60 on console at 1440p and 4k. Those who still have a 1080p displays without VRR are being forced to suffer through fps drops they wouldn't have to, all for the sake of super sampling that they probably don't care enough about.

assurdum

Banned
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Console graphics options​

Here are the new PUBG graphics options on every console.

Xbox Series X​

• 60fps
  • 4K resolution

PS5​

• 60fps
  • QHD (1440p)
  • 60fps
  • FHD (1080p)

Xbox Series S​

• 60fps
  • FHD (1080p)
  • Anti-aliasing: FXAA
Great stealth console war thread. My compliment. Ricky would be proud of you.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Surprised there is no 120fps options considering WZ has it.
Was hoping to see that as well but one of the Community Managers on Reddit posted:

The Dev team found 60fps to be the sweet spot when testing at higher resolutions.

Also addressed the differences in resolutions:

Keep in mind that the Series X has a bit more graphical horsepower than the PS5.

Taken from:

Banned

PS5​

why are developers still doing this dogshit auto resolution switching when the console detects a different display? how is that still allowed?

Last edited:

adamsapple

why are developers still doing this dogshit auto resolution switching when the console detects a different display? how is that still allowed?

There have been SOME cases where it's ended up being beneficial, but I don't think there's any case on the new generation so far.

Games like Red Dead 2 on PS4 Pro are better played with system set to 1080p cause the CB rendering is dogshit and 1080p makes the game run better as well.

Banned
There have been SOME cases where it's ended up being beneficial, but I don't think there's any case on the new generation so far.

Games like Red Dead 2 on PS4 Pro are better played with system set to 1080p cause the CB rendering is dogshit and 1080p makes the game run better as well.

my point is that these settings should be available in the game options and should be forbidden to be activated through console settings.
having that 1080p option was great, having to change console settings each time you play that game isn't great

also afaik RDR2 looked as shit as it did because they didn't actually use CBR, but simply rendered at half of 4K and then stretched the image horizontally to 16:9

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Was hoping to see that as well but one of the Community Managers on Reddit posted:

The Dev team found 60fps to be the sweet spot when testing at higher resolutions.

Also addressed the differences in resolutions:

Keep in mind that the Series X has a bit more graphical horsepower than the PS5.

Taken from:

You should actually read his responses. He’s a community manager not a dev with a lot of his responses being guesswork.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You should actually read his responses. He’s a community manager not a dev with a lot of his responses being guesswork.
Yeah I said he was a Community Manager but he said the Dev team found the sweet spot FPS wise and nothing I quoted was guesswork on his part

assurdum

Banned
How is this a stealth console war thread?

The way some of you cope over these threads is more comical.
Oh sure rushing a thread listing quad resolution vs 4K without any mention about the BC code, it's surely unintentionally. What an extraordinary coincidence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom