• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG Creator Steps Back From Game, Announces New Focus

Helios

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pubg-creator-steps-back-from-game-announces-new-fo/1100-6465550/
The creator of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds has announced that he is stepping away from day-to-day operations of the popular battle royale game, and will instead be focused on "special projects" in a new office under the PUBG Corp. banner. Lead designer Brendan Greene made the announcement in a letter on Twitter.

"While I'll remain as a consulting creative director on PUBG, development will be led by Taeseok Jang and the fantastic team I have had the honor of working with over the past three years," he said. "They have some great things planned for this year, and I can't wait to share more with you soon!

"Going forward, I'll be based in Amsterdam, rather than Seoul, and focused on building out an entirely new division to focus on research & game development."

Greene said the new position would focus on "exploring, experimenting, and creating new technologies, tools, pipelines, and gameplay." Those experiments could feed back into PUBG, or develop into an entirely new game or middleware. At this point it isn't clear what will come of this work, or even if it will be public as a consumer product at all.

Greene has been experimenting with battle royale and similar concepts since at least 2013, when he worked on a popular mod for DayZ. He moved from there to H1Z1 and eventually to working in South Korea for what was then known as developer Bluehole.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Creator is pushing it a bit, isn't PUBG made up of like 99% store bought assets, or assets from other games. He's more like a very good jigsaw puzzle player.:messenger_kissing_smiling:

Ribi

"Greene said the new position would focus on "exploring, experimenting, and creating new technologies, tools, pipelines, and gameplay." "

im calling bs on anything remote to a new tech coming from him.

PUBG was/is such an incredible achievement. A game that draws you in and never let's you go. Very few devs can brag about that. Looking back you can see how every single aspect of the game improved so much from animations to introduced vaulting mechanics to the netcode and now it beats all other BR games bar Fortnite. The best BR out there, maybe BF Firestorm will finally rival it.

he copy pasted h1z1 and then bitched when other people copied him. he had a nice pay day. so long.

You might want to educate yourself on that. Mr Greene made a BR mod for ARMA 2/DayZ back in 2013. Only years later Daybreak devs stole the idea and made a mediocre H1Z1.

Codes 208

he set the foundation with the BR formula but he sure as fuck didn’t perfect it. Especially considering the game runs like shit on consoles and mid range PC’s still.

PUBG isn’t even in my top 3 BR games now that we have fortnite, blackout and apex Legends.

sol_bad

Can Noclip interview him again now that the honeymoon period is well and truly over?

Didn't he help make H1Z1?

Last edited:

CuNi

So he has 1 good idea, made 3 games on it, where none of then really ever got finished and wants to create new technologies now? I think he's just like Elon Musk when he was trying to sell the hyperloop. Stay on board while you get the cash in and once people start to wonder where the results are, just abandon ship.

UnusualSether

Neo Member
It´s probably a really good move since things don´t seem to be getting better for PUBG, they´ve actually gotten worse with the release of Apex Legends and its good that he decided to not waste as much time on the game.

Top Bottom