• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 will have an invincibility toggle

oagboghi2

No one pretended it was virtuous then. I haven’t seen anyone say it’s virtuous now, either. Gamers weren’t crying out “cheater!”and holding each other to a higher standard when they were used either. It was a fun feature then, and it’s a fun feature when it’s seldom included nowadays. The difference, in Psychonauts 2’s case, is it’s not a cheat. It’s an option. Why does it bother you so much?
1. People are pretending it is virtuous now. As if it is a given that someone with a disability wants the game to be devoid of all challenge. "invincibility" and "accessibility" are not the same thing.
2. Gamers didn't call people who use cheats "cheaters"? We must have played very different games
3. No shit, it is an option. Are we not allowed to discuss design choices in games anymore? Just because I questioned something(which I haven't really done) doesn't mean I want it removed

Here is a question for you? Why are you so thin-skinned?

1. People are pretending it is virtuous now. As if it is a given that someone with a disability wants the game to be devoid of all challenge. "invincibility" and "accessibility" are not the same thing.
2. Gamers didn't call people who use cheats "cheaters"? We must have played very different games
3. No shit, it is an option. Are we not allowed to discuss design choices in games anymore? Just because I questioned something(which I haven't really done) doesn't mean I want it removed

Here is a question for you? Why are you so thin-skinned?
You challenged my post, so I challenged your post. Now you act like I’m gatekeeping gaming discussion, and you call me thin-skinned? Good grief.

No, people I knew didn’t shame each other for using cheat codes that developers willingly put in their games. They never worked in multiplayer so it wasn’t an issue. If you think I’m talking about people that broke the game to cheat, I wasn’t.

oagboghi2

You challenged my post, so I challenged your post. Now you act like I’m gatekeeping gaming discussion, and you call me thin-skinned? Good grief.

No, people I knew didn’t shame each other for using cheat codes that developers willingly put in their games. They never worked in multiplayer so it wasn’t an issue. If you think I’m talking about people that broke the game to cheat, I wasn’t.
I "challenged" your post? :messenger_tears_of_joy: The hell are you talking about?

If you used a cheat code to play a game, then you were cheating. You weren't playing the game as intended. It's not "shame", it is pointing out reality.

Barakov

Gold Member
Me using cheats to beat sekiro on pc was piss easy.. i had more time to enjoy more games..

and i experienced all the bosses i piss on your achievements it’s a joke. Watch me fucking cheat on every souls games forever. 😂🤘😂
Walter White Insult GIF by Breaking Bad

Hestar69

Nothing wrong with it honestly.
One site had the writer of the article saying he hoped he'd still get all achievements despite using invincibility mode...that would be ridiculous. Also, they should rename it "games journalist mode", it's the only way most of them would be able to complete it!

I don't mind that it's an option, but if you call yourself a gamer and you're not seriously handicapped and you use it on your 1st run, then shame on you!

Also, I can smell virtue signalling a mile away, that's what his tweet was about, hopefully more doesn't follow, as I really want to enjoy this game!
It's sad a journalist would use this I mean the first game wasn't even hard.

oagboghi2

Me using cheats to beat sekiro on pc was piss easy.. i had more time to enjoy more games..

and i experienced all the bosses i piss on your achievements it’s a joke. Watch me fucking cheat on every souls games forever. 😂🤘😂
It really burns you people, doesn’t it?

this is rock bottom

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I find this lame TBH. Just like the "complete the level for me" crap in recent Mario games. Why do I care when I don't have to use it? I don't really, but knowing that this option exists kind of cheapens the experience a little. Should this count as having beaten the game? Will you get trophies/achievements if you use this? And I really hate the trend of games holding your hand more and more, that every game has to be beatable by any player of any skill level. No they don't.

But in the end it's whatever. If people want to ruin the experience by removing all and any challenge that's up to them I guess.

Last edited:

Redlight

I find this lame TBH. Just like the "complete the level for me" crap in recent Mario games. Why do I care when I don't have to use it? I don't really, but knowing that this option exists kind of cheapens the experience a little. Should this count as having beaten the game? Will you get trophies/achievements if you use this? And I really hate the trend of games holding your hand more and more, that every game has to be beatable by any player of any skill level. No they don't.

But in the end it's whatever. If people want to ruin the experience by removing all and any challenge that's up to them I guess.
Because trophies/achievements mean so much.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Because trophies/achievements mean so much.

It may be impossible for you to believe, but a lot of people actually care about them. That's why they exist. They show what you have achieved in various games. Getting the platinum in a Souls game is something different than getting it in a game where you can choose to remove all challenge.

Using cheats like this should disable trophies/achievements.

Last edited:

Majukun

as long as the developers themselves want to do it, be my guest
I just can't stand when people complain and expect a developer to add an easier difficulty because they can't stand that a game is not for them.

also since when i used to like hard games (now i'm an old man with old man reflexes and not much time to play), nobody did any crusade for me when I ended with no satisfying game left to play because it was the ps2/GC era where every single game became easier and easie to cater to casual gamers.

thank god that dark souls demostrated that there was still a place for difficult games.

elliot5

It may be impossible for you to believe, but a lot of people actually care about them. That's why they exist. They show what you have achieved in various games. Getting the platinum in a Souls game is something different than getting it in a game where you can choose to remove all challenge.

Using cheats like this should disable trophies/achievements.
Cool, then take solace knowing you got your trophies without using this feature.

This isn't a "cheat". It's an accessibility feature.

Tanuki suit in Mario 3D world. My son, when he was an 8 year old, enjoyed running around with it. Whatever. Let people enjoy things. At the end of the day games are entertainment and different people game for different reasons.

Last edited:

nkarafo

If they want to do this in their game that's fine, it's their game. But i don't get why do they need to be such dicks and all mighty about it?

Saber

Gold Member
I sincerelly don't get most of people.

Its not about hard or "Souls", this is such a demented argument. Its just...whats even the point of even playing games if you aren't playing how it supposed to be? Yes, such old games you can play having cheats but Goldeneye 64 for instance have pre requesit to earn them. You can wander around in Mario 64 but you won't progress and the only real benefit is earned through getting all stars.

Legit question, whats stopping these guys from watching games on youtube instead? It makes no difference. And this is me being ok with an easy mode.

nkarafo

you can play having cheats but Goldeneye 64 for instance have pre requesit to earn them.
And even after you earn them, you can't use them if you want your next mission to count as complete. Meaning, you can't use them to complete the game.

elliot5

I sincerelly don't get most of people.

Its not about hard or "Souls", this is such a demented argument. Its just...whats even the point of even playing games if you aren't playing how it supposed to be? Yes, such old games you can play having cheats but Goldeneye 64 for instance have pre requesit to earn them. You can wander around in Mario 64 but you won't progress and the only real benefit is earned through getting all stars.

Legit question, whats stopping these guys from watching games on youtube instead? It makes no difference. And this is me being ok with an easy mode.
There's a difference between being a passive viewer vs an active controller, even with invincibility.

I watched the entire playthrough of RDR2 on YouTube. I don't think that gave me the same connection as if I controlled it myself even if I had invincibility.

Playing the game with invincibility is "how it's supposed to be".... For some people. That's why it's an accessibility feature. I'm not going to judge anyone that uses it and wants to play as Raz while enjoying the dialogue and platforming and environments at their own discretion.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Cool, then take solace knowing you got your trophies without using this feature.

This isn't a "cheat". It's an accessibility feature.

Colorblind mode or alternative control schemes are accessibility features. This is a cheat. It's "iddqd" but as an in-game option.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have no problem with this. I even made a poll about difficulty levels a couple months ago.

Gamers have different skills, so why not make accommodating skill levels? Some gamers are bad, most are probably ok, and some are god gamers. They each have a choice. And invincibility mode is for 5 year olds or gamers who just dont give a shit and want to plow through the game. Or replay the game after they beat it to find secrets and not want to go through the hassle of playing the game getting killed.

If someone doesn't like invincible mode, then skip t and play Ultra Hard.

elliot5

Colorblind mode or alternative control schemes are accessibility features. This is a cheat. It's "iddqd" but as an in-game option.
kinda weird to gatekeep accessibility features.

From my perspective, if you're a disabled gamer and have to utilize this feature to experience the game you paid for and want to enjoy, then so be it. Labelling it as a "cheat" seems unnecessary and elitist even if the results from old school DOOM and others to Psychonauts 2 are similar. Calling them cheats or invalidations or whatever is dumb imo, when the intent by Double Fine is to make the game more accessible - not to provide a hidden cheatcode or unlockable setting like older games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
kinda weird to gatekeep accessibility features.

From my perspective, if you're a disabled gamer and have to utilize this feature to experience the game you paid for and want to enjoy, then so be it. Labelling it as a "cheat" seems unnecessary and elitist even if the results from old school DOOM and others to Psychonauts 2 are similar. Calling them cheats or invalidations or whatever is dumb imo, when the intent by Double Fine is to make the game more accessible - not to provide a hidden cheatcode or unlockable setting like older games.
Agreed.

I dont know where this "games should be hard" kind of attitude came about. But it probably really picked up with recent generations with Demons Souls and Dark Souls games having a reputation for being hard and some gamers latching onto that thinking all games should be like that.

And if it's beaten (like they probably did), it's a milestone in life history to beat a hard game and nobody is a true gamer unless they can beat a hard game.

Anyone who plays on Easy Mode (or in this case invincible mode) is a wimp and schmuck.

BabyYoda

Banned
Oh no. We should not play on easy difficulty otherwise we lose respect of random person on internet.

How we will look ourselves in mirror after losing respect from great Baba Yada :(
I just meant gaming respect, rl is something else. I don't really care about achievements and forget they exist on Steam tbh. But it's the principle of the thing, rewards in all things should reflect the effort put in, like in Jesus' parable of the talents in Matthew 25:14-30 Link, even in something as superfluous as videogames :p

I'm sound that there's an invincibility mode though, as I said. I'm not some elitist, I tend to play all games on medium, always have.

Markio128

As long as there are a variety of difficulty options, I honestly don’t see the issue here. You pay your money and you make your choice.

kiphalfton

Is this not how the LEGO games are?

I don't understand how we got here, from having video games that were extremely difficult in the 80's/90's to now.

And this isn't even about difficulty gatekeeping. This just shows you don't have to have persevere and can get through a game. Great lessons to teach lazy kids.

Last edited:
Top Bottom