• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 |OT| Mindraker

Gloomnivore

I started this on my One X but the loading times and some jittery technical issues made me sell that console and buy a Series S. This game deserves it.

So I got to christen my new Xbox with the Psi-King level in brand spanking new HDR vision. Totally worth it. ‘We’re not in Kansas anymore’ levels of worth it.

This game was already a GOTY contender on the old hardware but now the deal is sealed. Nothing is going to top it this year. Double Fine might not be Moneybags Phil’s most impressive acquisition but it’s my favourite member of the Xbox family right now.

Riky

$MSFT
I started this on my One X but the loading times and some jittery technical issues made me sell that console and buy a Series S. This game deserves it.

So I got to christen my new Xbox with the Psi-King level in brand spanking new HDR vision. Totally worth it. ‘We’re not in Kansas anymore’ levels of worth it.

This game was already a GOTY contender on the old hardware but now the deal is sealed. Nothing is going to top it this year. Double Fine might not be Moneybags Phil’s most impressive acquisition but it’s my favourite member of the Xbox family right now.

I tried the One X version and the difference in fluidity and load times is pretty startling, it's so much better on Series consoles.

Finished the game today. Easy GOTY for me unless something crazy happens. I already want Part 3 lmao.

Endboss spoilers:

The fight against Maligula was a bit lame tho, especially when compared to the other bossfights in the game. It was basically "shoot and dodge" the entire time, also incredibly easy. I stacked up on Psi-pops and Dream Fluffs before the game warns you that shit's about to go down, and I never had to use them. That's in general my only real complaint about the game, the difficulty is too easy so it feels like cleverly using your ressources (also stuff like pins) isn't really necessary at all.

Plantoid

I'm stuck in mailman ford... Game is not hard so I must be trying to do a jump where you're not supposed to

JackMcGunns

It really did they said they had to cut out multiple boss fights and cut tons of content before Double Fine got purchased. Can really thank Phil for doing such a service for this team they put their hearts and souls into this game and it shows.

Nooo, Phil is just a mouthpiece, has done nothing for gamers.

SkylineRKR

This game is good. I never played this franchise before but since this is on GP why not.

I like the gameplay and atmosphere. On Series S its absolutely perfect. It looks amazing, runs extremely well and everything loads fast. 120hz I tried but didn't feel much of a difference so I rather go for a better IQ. This is a much needed top tier platform game for MS.

PhaseJump

Banned
Psi King isn't too bad.

The figments blending into the background only got me in a few spots. The ones I missed out that people should watch for are in one of the shrines, there are rope bridges you walk between small platforms on, and you need to intentionally drop Raz down on the low side to grab some musical looking ones. It stuck with me because dropping to the low side of a rope is something you don't necessarily need to do much at all in this game compared to the first Psychonauts, or even a Mario game.

The shrine where you climb the vines on a wall, while under an ledge, had one flower I missed right in front of it too.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Finished!

Game of the Year without a doubt. Schafer's best writing since Grim Fandango.

I didn't care for the combat though, I think this game didn't even need it outside of boss battles.
The writing is what gets me. Schafer is American but as a Brit the humour really resonates with me. There’s some optional dialogue in the Questionable Area where one of the other students is making omelettes and you can ask her where she got the milk from, and as Raz asks the question he just locks eyes with this fugly goat behind her. It really made me laugh lol.

Nico_D

The writing is what gets me. Schafer is American but as a Brit the humour really resonates with me. There’s some optional dialogue in the Questionable Area where one of the other students is making omelettes and you can ask her where she got the milk from, and as Raz asks the question he just locks eyes with this fugly goat behind her. It really made me laugh lol.

Yeah absolutely. There were some other similar jokes too and I agree with you there's something very British in them. I don't mind, British humour is the best. I'm watching Motherland atm and laughing my ass off because how awkward it is.

Last edited:

Roberts

Yeah, that was a great bit of visual comedy.

Trumpets

I seem to be the odd one out here because as a big fan of the first game I'm just not enjoying the sequel anything like as much. It plays about the same (although the regular combat seems worse this time) but the plot is just a confused mess and the inner-world of the characters' minds isn't as interesting or ingenious this time around.

The insane asylam was the perfect venue for the Psychonauts central concept of diving inside people's minds. It led to such great characters/levels as the milkman, the Spanish painter and the guy who think's he's Napolean. The sequel still has a ton of imagination but it's just firing off in all directions and isn't as inspired or focussed.

I'll probably press on but it just isn't clicking for me at all.

elliot5

I seem to be the odd one out here because as a big fan of the first game I'm just not enjoying the sequel anything like as much. It plays about the same (although the regular combat seems worse this time) but the plot is just a confused mess and the inner-world of the characters' minds isn't as interesting or ingenious this time around.

The insane asylam was the perfect venue for the Psychonauts central concept of diving inside people's minds. It led to such great characters/levels as the milkman, the Spanish painter and the guy who think's he's Napolean. The sequel still has a ton of imagination but it's just firing off in all directions and isn't as inspired or focussed.

I'll probably press on but it just isn't clicking for me at all.
Where are you in the game? The plot is really quite tight narratively and not very confusing at all by the time it ends. Even before then there's mystery but it's not a mess. The levels were all good imo but so Were P1s imo

Combat is also def better bc in the first it was just homing missiles and punching basically.

Robb

Gold Member
Didn't think I'd get there, but I've collected everything in the game now. Some figments were a pain, especially the ones that there were only one of in the entire level..

Had a lot of fun doing it though, been a while since I 100% a game.

Batiman

Banned
Can someone explain to me why I can’t use the bouncy ball? I’m holding X and it won’t charge up….

bender

What time is it?
Can someone explain to me why I can’t use the bouncy ball? I’m holding X and it won’t charge up….

You need to map it to RB/RT/LB/LR and hit the corresponding button while not jumping. That summons the ball. Holding X just let's you compress the ball for a super jump.

---

Just rolled credits. There is a ton to love about this game. The characters, the story, the voice work, the music, the creativity on display in the mission design. The downside is the game play. Calling the platforming serviceable would be a bit of a disservice but I can't say I really love it either. I actively dislike the combat, it just isn't interesting or fun. The bosses are really creative but it doesn't save the dull combat. I gave up wanting to collect everything pretty early on (Get the Band Back Together Again). I don't regret the time I spent with the game but I am glad it is over.

Tim Schafer is a treasure. A lot of the game reminds me of prime Tim Burton.

bender

What time is it?
You have to skill it plus what Blender said.
f990647a944c336da6f34658ca5e2a6c.jpg

Batiman

Banned
You have to skill it plus what Blender said.
What do you mean skill it? I have it unlocked and it’s mapped to LT. When I press LT and I’m rolling in the ball I’m supposed to hold X. It’s not doing anything… It was working before the same way but now x does nothing.

Im talking about compressing the ball for a super jump

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
What do you mean skill it? I have it unlocked and it’s mapped to LT. When I press LT and I’m rolling in the ball I’m supposed to hold X. It’s not doing anything… It was working before the same way but now x does nothing.

Isnt that a pin? I cant quite remember tbh

CheshirexChrono

Neo Member
Have yet to complete the game but I'm finding it to be an absolute treat. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it at first, but there is just so much to love here.
I'm hoping that Microsoft places a lot of faith in this series going forward, I know that they have their big franchises, I feel like psychonauts could easily sit among them.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Have yet to complete the game but I'm finding it to be an absolute treat. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it at first, but there is just so much to love here.
I'm hoping that Microsoft places a lot of faith in this series going forward, I know that they have their big franchises, I feel like psychonauts could easily sit among them.
Double Fine have said they’ll do something ‘out there’ as their next project as P2 has taken a while. I’ve not got to the ending yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a P3 in 6 or 7 years time.

CheshirexChrono

Neo Member
Double Fine have said they’ll do something ‘out there’ as their next project as P2 has taken a while. I’ve not got to the ending yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a P3 in 6 or 7 years time.
Hopefully not that long, but either way I'm happy as long as they keep producing quality products.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Finished!

Game of the Year without a doubt. Schafer's best writing since Grim Fandango.

I didn't care for the combat though, I think this game didn't even need it outside of boss battles.
Combat was never the strong point for Psychonauts, but I have to say it's improved a lot over the first game. It definitely encourages you to mix up abilities a lot more and it's a lot faster and more fluid.

I don’t think you can do the bounce while rolling. You need to be stopped.

SkylineRKR

Game is absolutely great but there is some serious padding. Like the Ford missions. And then afterwards with the beehive and vines. collect 3 things, move on to collect another 3 things. The questionable area and quarry was awesome. I found most stuff there and did all sidequests except finding all artefacts.

As for the combat, its servicable. I like the boss battles. They require you to think and switch up things. I maxed Psi blast, which insta kills multiple small guys in one shot. The ball is kind of shit, but the super jump sometimes help you to get items and its a way to move faster throughout a stage. Gliding is very useful though, I always have it mapped during platforming. There is too much collectibles, I'm not going for 100% but I just get what I see. I like the simplicity of it all, combine cards is just a rank up, figments are just rank up and side quests are just rank up. And a rank up is a skill point. Money is useful for upgrades (upgrade the purse ASAP, and I guess the possession skill to find more), some of them are pretty good but never required. I think I have them activated for PSi blast, mental connection and melee. But you can also dial the combat difficulty down if you hate it.

This is another SS game that trounces the last-gen versions. Its extremely sharp, fast and fluid and there is even 120 though honestly I didn't find the improvement to be that worthwhile here so I don't use it. I'd rather take the 1680p visuals.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Isnt that a pin? I cant quite remember tbh
I don’t think you can do the bounce while rolling. You need to be stopped.
Thx guys. I think my game is glitched or something. It’s an upgrade I unlocked and was able to do before no problem. Now it won’t work…. I’ve tried standing still and still won’t compress. I checked the pins and it’s not there. This issue is so weird. Now I can’t do high jumps that I probably need for collectables.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I hope we get an RT reflections upgrade. This game looks good but there are so many reflective surfaces that SSR can't quite handle.

HotPocket69

Banned
Well after almost 30 hours, 13 brains and 4 large hub areas later I’m finished. Thought it was fanfuckingtastic all around until the final hub and final few brains. By then I was ready to be done, on top of the slight collectible burn out (as addictive and feel good as it is it got to groan level “Fuck another 100+ things to try to get”) also I thought the story got to be a bit too much. Too layered. Keep it simple, stupid.

Characters, writing (aside from the forced, awkward and out of place gay scene), art style, exploration and satisfaction through exploring were all top or close to top tier.

The combat was a bit of a drag since there’s no controller feedback (dunno what it’s like on Xbox) but it’s completely weightless here (the sound quality is weak too for some weird reason) and it just feels cheap. Also the boss fights are awful partly due to the non feedback from the combat.

8 pockets out of 10.

Top Bottom