• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 image leaked

SinDelta

Holy crap. First one was one of the weirdest batshit games I've ever played.

The graphics have also improved massively in the time since the first one came out. I like how it looks, and hope 2 can live up to some of the stuff 1 was able to pull off.

Bull level was the best, along with the Napoleonic one. Milkman level was...yeah.

Story was actually pretty interesting, and the characters also had their backstories.
Some of which are more incredibly fucked up then others.

Just no more meat circus or anything inspired by it.

Last edited:
Will I be able to 100 percent this game? Or will my skills have me crash and burn like I did with the Ori games. Get as far as I can only to finish with a lets play of someone else beating the game.

elliot5

I'm 99% certain these aren't leaks and were taken from recent Fig backer updates. I've seen these areas before already.

Either way, I'm hyped and expect a trailer or update to come out soon especially given Psychonauts 1 was added onto Game Pass. Love the art style and expect great dialogue as you'd expect from Double Fine / Tim Schafer.

Sales are hardly anything to worry about given 1) It's gonna be on Game Pass day 1 anyway 2) It's a MS First Party that has their financial support 3) It's a crowdfunded game via Fig
They've already secured the bag.

Clowns already bashing the visuals based on compressed jpegs? UE4 or not, art direction is the most important aspect of a game's visuals. Are some of you new to the hobby?
Is anybody really expecting a looker? The original looked average when it released so I expect the new one to look average too.

GrayFoxPL

The graphics aren't a thing in this game.

The original looked like a rodent pushed through meat grinder.

The most important thing are the levels and story.

Levels in original were like game within game. It was super fun.

Hopefully this will be the same.

Last edited:
This is still coming out, right?

Crazy to think it's been 16 years since the first game, it's also been a long time now since there was a Tim Schafer directed game at all, right? This is the first since Broken Age isn't it? And Broken Age was like, what, 2013 or 2014?

Tim has said some stupid stuff but I'm still a fan of his work.

Well, the game is a indie crowdfunded game. Don't expect AAA quality.

Microsoft bought them almost 2 years ago that's more then enough time for them to pimp the game with the (almost) unlimited funds this gave them access to and there is still no concrete release date, so you can bet your ass i will expect AAA quality.

Last edited:

fermcr

Microsoft bought them almost 2 years ago that's more then enough time for them to pimp the game with the (almost) unlimited funds this gave them access to and there is still no concrete release date, so you can bet your ass i will expect AAA quality.

Microsoft (or Sony or Nintendo) are more interested in funding their own exclusives. Why would they invest a AAA budget in a indie crowdfunded multiplatform game?

nikolino840

Sure but to make a ratch and clank quality you have to restart from the beginning

At the 2015 Game Awards, Schafer announced Double Fine's plans to work on Psychonauts 2 using a crowdfunding campaign through Fig.

Most people paid 30-35€ for a copy of Psychonauts 2 (on crowdfunding). Do you think Microsoft wants to sell a AAA budget game for 30-35€?

I swear some of you people live under a rock...
Anyway MS paid for everything including paying off the Fig investors so it's theirs they can do with it what they want.

By June 2019 Double Fine had been acquired by Microsoft as part of Xbox Game Studios. Microsoft purchased the publishing rights for the game from Starbreeze for $13.2 million. Despite the sale, Double Fine stated that Psychonauts 2 would still be released on all previously announced platforms (not being exclusive to Microsoft platforms).[28][29] The Microsoft acquisition allowed Double Fine to pay back the Fig investors earlier at a 139% return and increasing subsequent revenue-based return on investments from 70 to 85%.[30] Schafer said in a 2020 interview that prior to Microsoft's acquisition, they were at a point that they cut the boss fights out of the game due to lack of funds, but were able to re-add them afterward.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

It looks fine ya.

For anyone in doubt play the first one. It's not about the graphics and anyway chances are it'll switch graphical styles a lot anyway.

I wouldn't be suprised to see a level in lower poly PS1 graphics or a level in 2D animation entirely.

I'm expecing a lot of suprises in this.

What Tim Schafer will give if nothing else is hilarious dialogue.

Last edited:

Holammer

The French tweets don't even claim them as leaks. Since people don't pay attention, you could probably grab a few stills from this trailer and present them as amazing leaks.

JSoup

Banned
All of those images and the video were posted in higher quality to the DoubleFine discord a month or two ago.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
They kept the ugly main character I see.

Top Bottom