• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 Console Performance And Resolutions Revealed

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Series X offers a full 4K presentation at 60fps, with an optional 1440p/120Hz mode also available. On its smaller sibling, the Series S, the game holds the same framerate options while dropping the resolution down to either 2880 x 1620 or 1920 x 1080 respectively. Both the Series X and Series S feature HDR and VRR (variable rate refresh) support to boot.

On last-gen consoles, it’s a case of 30fps across the board, with the base Xbox and PS4 both outputting at 1080p while the Xbox One X manages a full 4K and the PS4 Pro tops out at 1440p. Sadly, it’s also the last-gen version of the game that PS5 owners will be playing, though the implementation of backwards compatibility sees the framerate lift to 60fps at the same 1440p resolution. No HDR or VRR support for last-gen or PS5, unfortunately.

E6qf-_MWEAkYRBa

Over on PC, it’s merely a case of running the game at whatever framerate or resolution your hardware can handle. Though, curiously, HDR support is missing while VRR remains an option.

Last edited by a moderator:

RaZoR No1

Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

Strange that One X doesnt support HDR and somehow expected, that they put minimal effort to the PS versions (no PS5)

Last edited:
At least PS5 owners get double the frame rate, even if they're stuck with PS4 Pro resolution. Hopefully they get it native ASAP.
I'd be surprised if Microsoft invested ressources into making a native PS5 version. And as you implied, the PS5 BC version is "good enough" at 1440p60. You can't really call it a compromised version, it will look and run great.

Vae_Victis

Banned
There is no PS5 version. It's the PS4 version run through backwards compatibility. Which we already know in 99% of cases means it will run exactly like the PS4 Pro version, but with better frame rate if it happens to be uncapped.

Thank you for the misleading title, "well-played.com.au", I'm sure you'll be getting a lot of clicks from console warriors now. And thank you OP for reporting misleading information yourself.

Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

Strange that One X doesnt support HDR and somehow expected, that they put minimal effort to the PS versions (no PS5)
Doubl fine being acquired by MS midway through development likely means they won't feel the need to provide a next gen update on another console.

Godot25

Banned
Lol the only way for Microsoft to show the superiority of the XSX is to do the bare minimum on PS5
aMoj8a3.png

At least Sony did the job on mlb the show.
Only reason why Psychonauts 2 is releasing on PlayStation is because Double Fine promised PS4 version in their Fig campaing.
...the didn't promised PS5 version as far as I know.

Meanwhile. MLB told Sony: Either you will start developing MLB Games multiplatform or we are taking license elsewhere. And since publisher of MLB on Xbox is league not Sony, they would for sure won't like having half-assed version, especially when PC version is probably following next year.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Only reason why Psychonauts is releasing on PlayStation is because Double Fine promised PS4 version in their Fig campaing.
...the didn't promised PS5 version as far as I know.

Meanwhile. MLB told Sony: Either you will start developing MLB Games multiplatform or we are taking license elsewhere. And since publisher of MLB on Xbox is league not Sony, they would for sure won't like having half-assed version, especially when PC version is probably following next year.
this

Kuranghi

Shame theres no HDR but I think if the devs aren't confident they can transfer their work over that well then I'm glad they skip it, this looks like something where they have a really specific look and just transferring it "automatically" (I don't mean xboxes Auto HDR) without redoing the whole look for HDR would probably look like crap anyway.

Any idea how it runs on PC?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Studio bought by Microsoft only puts effort into Xbox versions.

News at Eleven.
Lol the only way for Microsoft to show the superiority of the XSX is to do the bare minimum on PS5
aMoj8a3.png

At least Sony did the job on mlb the show.
Bu bu but Phil said he cares about gamers wherever they play!! Lol that dude is a walking PR puff piece.
Why would a Xbox studio make a game for another platform if they are not obligated to? The only consoles mentioned in the original kickstarter were Xbox One and PS4.
And they kept their promise. They never announced any PS5 version.

Last edited:
Why would a Xbox studio make a game for another platform if they are not obligated to? The only consoles mentioned in the original kickstarter were Xbox One and PS4.
And they kept their promise. They never announced any PS5 version.

Not to mention game is looking polished and high production value.

Something you shouldn't expect with Kickstarter level budget.

It's a win for PlayStation owners but a jackpot for xbox and game fans.

Top Bottom