• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2’s Double Fine says it’s working on ‘multiple new projects’

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
In an update on the crowd-funding platform, Fig, the team revealed that it is moving on from Psychonauts 2 onto new projects.

“The studio is already splitting up into various teams and starting different projects that we think you’ll enjoy. We like experimentation here at Double Fine. Every game is a chance to explore new ideas, new visual styles or gameplay, emotions, and more.”

Schafer also said Double Fine plans to work on multiple projects simultaneously.

“There was a period at the end of Psychonauts 2 where we had all hands on deck to finish the game, but we’re definitely going back to multiple projects afterward. Until it happens again? Who knows? We don’t have any rules about that but we’re set up to have multiple projects and we have enough ideas to do that.”

DaGwaphics

Banjo Threeie or Jet Force Gemini? Maybe a new Conker.

For a minute there I had thought we were going to get an announcement about a new Conker. Around the time when the Xbox twitter account was tweeting about a fox with an Xbox and all that.

Hope one of those is a Psychonauts Frazie spin off. I can dream.
Will be nice seeing more Double Fine stuff in general. Im a fan Of the stuff they do.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Can’t wait to see what they come up with next. Hopefully more family friendly stuff. Xbox doesn’t have that much depth in that respect. Though stuff like Psychonauts and Minecraft dungeons are a great first step.

Perhaps raiding Rare’s back catalogue could help with that?

Banjo Threeie or Jet Force Gemini? Maybe a new Conker.

Tim has said they won’t touch Rare IP and will only work on their own properties.

I don’t know if I am a fan of this or not. I would rather they work on another big game like psy 2?in all honesty.
Same. Just depends on what they make I guess. For a long time they have worked on multiple extremely small games, and none of them were amazing. They're fine, but not on the level of Psychonauts 2. It would make sense to have 1 large project enter pre-production while also working on some smaller titles, so I guess we'll see.

If they. can produce multiple Psychonauts 2 level games with the new Xbox money im okay with that. I don't think a huge AAAAAAA game fits their DNA. I'd be happy with another medium sized polished game from them where the heart is in the story and characters.

Reactions: Fuz

Kuranghi

Hmmmm. We'll see what comes. I am in favour of multiple 8 hours games but I'd think you'd need to go for something with deeper gameplay to seem AAA if you are doing that. Have they ever released a game with deep gameplay though? I don't mean it as a slight, their games are more narrative focused it seems to me but maybe I missed one.

elliot5

Hmmmm. We'll see what comes. I am in favour of multiple 8 hours games but I'd think you'd need to go for something with deeper gameplay to seem AAA if you are doing that. Have they ever released a game with deep gameplay though? I don't mean it as a slight, their games are more narrative focused it seems to me but maybe I missed one.
No and they don’t really need to either. As you say narrative is their strength. Tim’s not a game design director like a Miyazaki he’s narrative and writing director.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Double Fine has multiple games in development to follow up on its Psychonauts 2 success, judging by recent comments from studio head Tim Schafer. In Double Fine's making-of documentary for Psychonauts 2, titled Double Fine PsychOdyssey and released for free on YouTube, Schafer recounted the studio pausing development on multiple games. Schafer expressed regret the company had to pause games from Derek and Lee, two Double Fine developers who had exciting projects underway. The regrettable pause was necessary, since everyone needed to pitch in to make sure Psychonauts 2 made it across the finish line. Double Fine announced shortly before the game's released that it developed Psychonauts 2 with no crunch, which would have required careful management of team members and resources available. Understandably, the game experienced delays that pushed it back from its original planned release date.

Just finished the really long PsychOdyssey documentary.
Not any hints that I could remember of anything else getting worked on in the doc as all hands seemed to be concentrating on Psychonauts 2.
I'm really looking forward to any new games they are making. Wow what a team of Pros and talent.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Double Fine has multiple games in development to follow up on its Psychonauts 2 success, judging by recent comments from studio head Tim Schafer. In Double Fine's making-of documentary for Psychonauts 2, titled Double Fine PsychOdyssey and released for free on YouTube, Schafer recounted the studio pausing development on multiple games. Schafer expressed regret the company had to pause games from Derek and Lee, two Double Fine developers who had exciting projects underway. The regrettable pause was necessary, since everyone needed to pitch in to make sure Psychonauts 2 made it across the finish line. Double Fine announced shortly before the game's released that it developed Psychonauts 2 with no crunch, which would have required careful management of team members and resources available. Understandably, the game experienced delays that pushed it back from its original planned release date.

That's great. Psychonauts 2 was fucking brilliant.

reksveks

Are there any existing double fine games not on GP?

I could see a double fine shadowdrop during the June showcase

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Are there any existing double fine games not on GP?
Yeah, lots. Not counting stuff that requires Kinect or non-Xbox/PC hardware, there's Stacking, Hack n Slash, Headlander, Rad, and The Cave.

I think a lot of this stuff is still tied up with other publishers but will probably revert to them at some point.

Astray

Gold Member
Really looking forward to what they come up with next, one of the most imaginative and unique studios out there.

MagnesD3

I'd be very interested to see Banjo Threeie from them if they understand it's collectable design I remember Psychonauts 1 had annoying figment design.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'd be very interested to see Banjo Threeie from them if they understand it's collectable design I remember Psychonauts 1 had annoying figment design.
I don't think Double Fine has any interest in working on other people's IP. Even when they started doing remasters of old LucasArts games it was only the ones Tim worked on

MagnesD3

I don't think Double Fine has any interest in working on other people's IP. Even when they started doing remasters of old LucasArts games it was only the ones Tim worked on
Shame, they were one of the only ones that I would have considered trusting with the IP that were realistic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom