• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR 2 is going into mass production soon

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I thought the main draw of quest 2 is because it is standalone and doesn't require a console or pc, plus it is completely wireless too right?

I mean its the fact that yes it's a one and done deal, the fact it'd a standalone unit is the reason it's wireless because you essentially have the console strapped to your head.

The PSVR on the other hand I believe sells to people in the same way that the Kinect was sold to people... or the move. Most people won't buy a PS5 because its got a PSVR2, they will buy a PSVR2 because they have a PS5, its an add on rather than a stand alone unit. When looked at like that I think it will do quite well, largely leveraging of the more recent popularity of rival VR headsets.

It will be a harder sell than the occulus quest 2 to consumers for sure. However I for one will never own a quest because to use it you are forced to sign up and use a Facebook account, the PS2VR sidesteps that issue for example.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
why would PSVR2 need to connect to PSVR1’s breakout box? A simple Usb-C to HDMI splitter would suffice.

That being said IDC if it doesn’t, I have a PS5.
PS4 does not have enough processing power to do spatial audio processing, that is one of the jobs the breakout box does for PS4 and Tempest Engine does on PS5 (hence no need for the breakout box there for PSVR2).

Zug

It will be a harder sell than the occulus quest 2 to consumers for sure. However I for one will never own a quest because to use it you are forced to sign up and use a Facebook account, the PS2VR sidesteps that issue for example.
I think they lifted the Facebook account requirement not too long ago for all oculus headsets, when they annonced their Meta rebranding.
Never needed a FB account for my Rift S, which doesn't mean the oculus apps/services are not intrusive for privacy.

PSVR2 might not sell that much if it's not wireless (and it seems it's wired), PS5 has wifi6 too, so they could do it.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think they lifted the Facebook account requirement not too long ago for all oculus headsets, when they annonced their Meta rebranding.
Never needed a FB account for my Rift S, which doesn't mean the oculus apps/services are not intrusive for privacy.

Cheers for this il look into it, if they have that's great, I heard horror stories of people getting banned from Facebook for using a false name or address details and losing there entire game library.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I'm aware. That's why I said I hope they have come to their senses. Since supporting only wired VR is not sensible in 2022. I will probably not buy the PSVR2 if there is no wireless option. Complete 360 degree freedom is more important than graphics for immersion in VR IMO.

Last edited:
I'll have to get that ! Where's the pre order button :p
Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
“Mass production” in 2022……

….you’ll have 1 million units for the entire planet and you’ll like it.

“Mass production” in 2022……

….you’ll have 1 million units for the entire planet and you’ll like it.
I haven't owned a standalone console in years. I hope there is a way to get a PSVR2 pack with PS5 included, so i don't need to hunt for them separately. It would also be less desirable for someone who didn't want VR and hopefully thus be more in stock.

CobraAB

If true then June to August release window.
Fat chance of that happening. Cost at the earliest I would think.

And that all depends on the games. If the games are not there, could easily be after the 1st of the year (2023). Of course, maybe that will have a half decent inventory of headsets available than.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

I would hope it's back compat too w/ PSVR 1 titles.

I don't really see a reason why it can't be (yes I'm aware of the changes to the device, the control API should be able to support the same movement, so there's no reason PSVR1 titles couldn't be sent the exact same inputs as before), and I think Sony has been throwing a lot of VR titles on PS Now on purpose in preparation.

That frees them up to launch sooner IMO, but it does make sense to have at least 1 big title.. however.. Call of Duty could be that title.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Noppe just like PSVR1 does not work on PS5

PSVR1 DOES work on PS5. Just need a special dongle.

My biggest worry is the backwards compatibilty with older VR games. I dont’ want to rebuy all the VR games I already bought just to work with the new headset. Sony would b shooting themselves in the foot if they fucked that up.

Top Bottom