• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR 2 is going into mass production soon

Hyped!
excited pumped up GIF by WWE

Quasicat

I'm definitely gonna get this for my PS5. Will it work on PS4 I wonder?
This is also what I’m wondering. I’ve pretty much accepted that I’m not getting a PS5 anytime soon, and PSVR headsets are crazy expensive used. My Slim has the proprietary PSVR port on the back, how hard would it be to make the PS5 run off of that?

PS4 needs the breakout box to do sound processing and split video, I doubt PSVR2 would connect to it. I think we are setting ourselves up for disappointment if we expect PS4 compatibility.
why would PSVR2 need to connect to PSVR1’s breakout box? A simple Usb-C to HDMI splitter would suffice.

That being said IDC if it doesn’t, I have a PS5.

Alandring

I really hope it will be backward compatible with all PS VR games.

I have some VR games that I own and that I really want to play (like Beat Saber), but I just don't want to reinstall this terrible thing.

Lognor

Banned
It won't work on PS4. There is no USB C port and also there are lots of things PSVR 2 will be doing that PS4 does not have any spare power to dedicate to.

PSVR2 will most Likely connect to the PS5 via USB-C, which the PS4 lacks.
USB C to USB adapter. There is already precedent as Sony shipped free camera adapters with the PSVR.

Don't rule out PS4 quite yet ;)

Makes no sense to go PS5 only when there are so few sold and that isn't being changed any time soon due to the chip shortages. If it releases this year it will likely be compatible with the PS4. Sony may push it out until more PS5s are sold, but we'll see.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As much as I am sure people are hypes for this, I would caution against jumping on the band wagon early. The Second version of the PSVR had many oversights fixed that the origenal overlooked. Waiting a year or two not only let's more releases worth playing come out for it, but also most likely will result in you getting a superior headset at a lower price than launch.

Last edited:

LQX

As much as I am sure people are hypes for this, I would caution against jumping on the band wagon early. The Second version of the PSVR had many oversights fixed that the origenal overlooked. Waiting a year or two not only let's more releases worth playing come out for it, but also most likely will result in you getting a superior headset at a lower price than launch.
You can also enjoy it for a year or two and likely sell it for close to what you paid to get the revision if there is one.

Reallink

Traditional publishers have long abandoned their experimental VR efforts while indies are all in on mobile VR (Quest). I don't know how Sony's handful of first party A and AA studios are going handle being the sole torch bearers of "high end" VR. Nobody's even making PCVR games anymore to port over, there's literally nothing rumored or on the horizon.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I hope they came to their senses and decided to make it wireless. Wired VR feels very outdated at this point, I'm not sure I could go back to being tethered to the console with wires wrapping around me as I turn around.

And before anyone says it would make the headset too expensive: Why? Quest 2 does it over standard WiFi.

hlm666

The meta cambria is going to have face and eye tracking from what carmack said in his oculus connect talk, the price on that is going to be interesting. An apple VR device powered by the m1 could be interesting, I don't buy apple but just like phones they could make everyone lift their game. I wonder if apple and/or oculus released their devices the same time as Sony if that would help or hinder them. Sony will probably have gt7 vr support judging by how many pc sims have vr support, really curious to see what else they will use to sell it, they gotta have something.

Reallink

The meta cambria is going to have face and eye tracking from what carmack said in his oculus connect talk, the price on that is going to be interesting. An apple VR device powered by the m1 could be interesting, I don't buy apple but just like phones they could make everyone lift their game. I wonder if apple and/or oculus released their devices the same time as Sony if that would help or hinder them. Sony will probably have gt7 vr support judging by how many pc sims have vr support, really curious to see what else they will use to sell it, they gotta have something.

GT7, Astrobots 2, and they'll probably pay Capcom for an RE8 and/or RE4:Remake VR mode (PSVR exclusive). Then they'll have some B-tier filler like Worlds, Farpoint, Blood & Truth, and Iron Man (I think one of these teams is supposedly working on a Horizon VR offshoot). Aside from that I think all we'll get is hand-me-down Quest ports Facebook doesn't buy exclusivity for. Nobody's going to be funding big or even mid budget VR games besides Sony, we won't even have the Single-A indie ports from PCVR (cause the platform is effectively dead at this point with Oculus and Valve abandoning it).

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I hope they came to their senses and decided to make it wireless. Wired VR feels very outdated at this point, I'm not sure I could go back to being tethered to the console with wires wrapping around me as I turn around.

And before anyone says it would make the headset too expensive: Why? Quest 2 does it over standard WiFi.
We’re continuing to innovate with our new VR system so that our fans can continue to enjoy the unique experiences that are synonymous with PlayStation. We’re taking what we’ve learned since launching PS VR on PS4 to develop a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience.

Ryu Kaiba

I've just bought a new pc and I'm on the lookout for a VR set up. It's a shame this won't be compatible with the PC.
We don't know that for sure. It likely won't be but it would be smart if Sony does it to compete with Oculus and valve. they are putting some games on there as well so we have to wait and see.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
why would PSVR2 need to connect to PSVR1’s breakout box? A simple Usb-C to HDMI splitter would suffice.

That being said IDC if it doesn’t, I have a PS5.

As you may know, on PS4 and PS4 Pro, the breakout box shipped with the PSVR unit does house extra local processing power: one of the things the box does is to process spatial audio data to send to the headset’s headphones.

PSVR2, to work with PS4 games, would also need all the compute intensive sound processing for audio, so are you now restricting this to people that own a PSVR1 as well and raising the cost of PSVR2 to maintain support for it too?. If you were to use the new headset on PS4 without owning that breakout box and without it (two different generations of that box) connecting to the new headset too… who would process the audio?

Not sure if base PS4 has USB ports with enough bandwidth and if it is designed to send video out over it either, but you are thinking HDMI out, splitter, and splitter output being another HDMI port and USB-C (still raises the per unit cost but 🤔 maybe?)

Ammogeddon

This is exciting news. I’ll get one.

The power of the PS5 will provide some great visuals, but if Sony ever want to catch up with Meta they need to make a standalone and/or wireless PSVR.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Why not? If it's fully backwards compatible.
You are setting yourself up for disappointment very likely, people are trying to explain why it would not work and Sony already stated it is meant for PS5.
BC with PSVR1 titles is not the point (also we are mixing the PSVR2 BC with PS4 being forward compatible with PSVR2 which is what people are questioning).

Spatial Audio on PS4 is handled by the old PSVR1 breakout box (it is handled by PS5’s Tempest Engine, not by PSVR2, in the new setup).
Without making for a more complex and expensive setup and requiring you to keep or purchase a PSVR1 headset, you would not be able to get the games to work. Also, you would not get the benefits of higher resolution and FOV with a base PS4 either so the advantages are limited.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
If we take PSVR near launch availability…. nope.

You will have very high changes to find neither at stores 😂
Is PSVR a highly sought after item?
I mean at launch sure, but everyone I know that purchased one has either sold it, or they are caked in dust now.

Kerotan

I skipped out on the last one in anticipated of the PS5 vr so I'll be getting this for sure. Never tried vr in my life so hyped for this.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Is PSVR a highly sought after item?
I mean at launch sure, but everyone I know that purchased one has either sold it, or they are caked in dust now.

I mean the tech is popular, it feels somewhat limited because its on PlayStation and therefore they can't support the more "open" games(things like VR chat having custom avatars that could be Mario).

However I think the recent popularity with the occulus quest 2 as a stand alone unit shows that once a specific price point is reached a consumer will buy into it.

Its up to Sony to try and figure out where that price point lands, considering you need a console to even play it unlike the quest. However for game creators it will most likely just be then porting games from there quest 2 release over to playstation primarily.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I mean the tech is popular, it feels somewhat limited because its on PlayStation and therefore they can't support the more "open" games(things like VR chat having custom avatars that could be Mario).

However I think the recent popularity with the occulus quest 2 as a stand alone unit shows that once a specific price point is reached a consumer will buy into it.

Its up to Sony to try and figure out where that price point lands, considering you need a console to even play it unlike the quest.
I thought the main draw of quest 2 is because it is standalone and doesn't require a console or pc, plus it is completely wireless too right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom