• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PSA] Xbox has changed EA Play to Gamepass Ultimate conversion from 4 months to 2 months

Wizz-Art

Because Sony Defence Force is playing sooooo concerned with their Xbox brethren I will clarify the difference between a price hike – which this is absolutely not in any way shape or form – and a conversion rate.

You can still subscribe for €12,99 in Europe or $14,99 in the US to Game Pass Ultimate like it always was no problem. This means there is absolutely no pricehike!

When EA Play joined Game Pass Ultimate as a courtesy for people that already had codes bought they offered a very generous conversion rate of 1 year EA Play – which can be obtained for 25 bucks, to 4 months of Game Pass Ultimate which would cost you 60 at the normal price.

Changing it to 2 months wich would cost you about 30 bucks if you paid for it monthly like other subscribers is actually closer to the value you paid for, still 5 bucks cheaper actually.

This is not screwing anybody. But I understand that Sony Defence Force is trying their best to push for a narrative that doesn't exist because they have nothing else...

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It was a discount.. now it's now.

Most things that are discounted don't come with a communicated expiration date.

Zoro7

Banned
It was a discount.. now it's now.

Most things that are discounted don't come with a communicated expiration date.
Discount? They reduced the conversion from 4 months to 2 months. That’s not a simple 10% off discount. Ridiculous that you would even compare it to a traditional discount.

reinking

Gold Member
Because Sony Defence Force is playing sooooo concerned with their Xbox brethren I will clarify the difference between a price hike – which this is absolutely not in any way shape or form – and a conversion rate.

You can still subscribe for €12,99 in Europe or $14,99 in the US to Game Pass Ultimate like it always was no problem. This means there is absolutely no pricehike!

When EA Play joined Game Pass Ultimate as a courtesy for people that already had codes bought they offered a very generous conversion rate of 1 year EA Play – which can be obtained for 25 bucks, to 4 months of Game Pass Ultimate which would cost you 60 at the normal price.

Changing it to 2 months wich would cost you about 30 bucks if you paid for it monthly like other subscribers is actually closer to the value you paid for, still 5 bucks cheaper actually.

This is not screwing anybody. But I understand that Sony Defence Force is trying their best to push for a narrative that doesn't exist because they have nothing else...
That is rich. You are coming into a thread where OP made no mention of a "price hike" and then calling out others for being on the defense and pushing a false narrative.

Simple, OP saw that a way that people were able to achieve a discount is not longer available. It was a PSA not a knock on the company. Sure, some believe MS should have given a notice but they did not. Myself, I do not care if MS gave a notice but I am glad OP brought it to my attention. There are very few comments that would actually be negative toward MS/Xbox and some talk of using Bing rewards (which points people to use MS services). I believe there are a couple of you looing too hard for negativity just because it wasn't positive news.

IntentionalPun

Discount? They reduced the conversion from 4 months to 2 months. That’s not a simple 10% off discount. Ridiculous that you would even compare it to a traditional discount.
Things can be 50% off on sale... and then not be.

I mean, it sucks that it's gone.. but the service is intended to be $14.99 a month.. try to get any discount you can as those discounts are going to go away.

NewChoppa

Banned

I try to not get caught up in this childish console war bullshit but there's something funny about someone accusing someone else of being a Sony fanboy while posting something about Gamepass that literally reads like an advert

It's really not that deep, man.

Zoro7

Banned
Things can be 50% off on sale... and then not be.

I mean, it sucks that it's gone.. but the service is intended to be $14.99 a month.. try to get any discount you can as those discounts are going to go away.
I agree it is intended for a set price. But Xbox gave consumers the option to convert at 4 months. To suddenly change that with no prior announcement is kind of cheap.

bender

What time is it?
Changing the conversion rate of EA Play to GPU just shows how much this program is doomed. More doomed than the ZeniMax acquisition.

200.gif

S0ULZB0URNE

Previously, if you converted EA Play to Gamepass Ultimate, you were able to convert 1 year of EA Play to 4 months of Gamepass Ultimate. Microsoft has now quietly changed this from 4 months to 2 months.

PpcuWlM.jpg

As there was no announcement by Xbox regarding this, it is super easy to miss out on this small detail. They just edited the text on their website.

This change has been already implemented, so do your future calculations accordingly. Please also tell other Gamepass subscribers who have been using this conversion path.
So it begins...

IntentionalPun

I agree it is intended for a set price. But Xbox gave consumers the option to convert at 4 months. To suddenly change that with no prior announcement is kind of cheap.
I'd rather a sale ending was announced than not too.

It's also just.. pretty normal to not know when a sale is going to end. See a sale tag at a store.. it rarely comes with an expiration date.

What this indicates is that MS isn't trying to have a rush of people getting a discount (if they announced it was ending, that would have happened).. the penny counters are starting to tell leadership to "show me the money."

But that was clear during the January actual price hike fiasco too (for XBLG). MS has an insane war chest, but they are going to ask Xbox to start generating more revenue to prove that these subs aren't just people getting discounts and spending less money on gaming.

The actual price of Gamepass TBH isn't that great when you factor in the $9.99 service doesn't even come with XBL; $14.99 a month is $180 a year... it's not cheap, and that's why it exists..to make more money than they were before, not less.. right now, they are probably making less.

Last edited:
As I had said, once streaming and 'netflix of gaming' becomes the norm expect $60+ a month.

It will only get worse if you don't own your own hardware.
You do realise you'd have the option to cancel at that point. Your not tied into a contract or anything.... You can leave whenever you want.

Wouldn't the sensible thing to do is subsciribe whilst you can get all these crazy savings and then quit when the service becomes the $60 you predicted or whatever price you deem unacceptable?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

As I had said, once streaming and 'netflix of gaming' becomes the norm expect $60+ a month.

It will only get worse if you don't own your own hardware.
Nah.. $14.99 a month is already a ton of money.

I do expect a $20 a month tier at some point maybe.

People need to realize most of the games on there would be getting very few sales elsewhere in the months they were on gamepass. Even a game that's only a few months old is way past it's prime. MS isn't paying as much as people think.

The entire idea is that $180 / year is less than the average of their 50 million+ users spend. They need to attract people that weren't spending that much money, and also increase engagement w/ increased spend on DLC, MTX, etc.

At any point MS could structure 3rd party deals to guarantee a profit for themselves as well. They are in control of the service afterall.

Last edited:
It’s a cheap loophole that they have tightened up on…just like the gold to game pass conversion stuff…..not sure why people are shitty when you can technically still roll with $1 game pass subscriptions if you just keep changing accounts

Dream-Knife

Banned
You do realise you'd have the option to cancel at that point. Your not tied into a contract or anything.... You can leave whenever you want.

Wouldn't the sensible thing to do is subsciribe whilst you can get all these crazy savings and then quit when the service becomes the $60 you predicted or whatever price you deem unacceptable?
By supporting it, it will eventually reach a point of no return.

France could have stopped Hitler when he marched into the Rhineland. Instead they waited.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I do find it very peculiar that some stuff is consigned to the Game Pass thread, but other stuff like this is allowed to stand. Wonder if any of the mods care to comment, since reporting just goes unanswered.

NickFire

I do find it very peculiar that some stuff is consigned to the Game Pass thread, but other stuff like this is allowed to stand. Wonder if any of the mods care to comment, since reporting just goes unanswered.
Not a mod obviously, but I think it boils down to we don't need threads every time an inconsequential game gets added, but interesting news and big games deserve their own thread. Which would make sense to me if true.

Chukhopops

France could have stopped Hitler when he marched into the Rhineland. Instead they waited.
Steve Harvey What GIF

The best part is OP posted that in the Gamepass thread, then when it didn't get any reaction there he created a thread about it to "inform" everyone.

I've heard it all now.... Comparing gamepass to Hitler.

The general rule is that anything good happening in gamepass or anyone praising it must be confined to that thread where it will probably get lost (as this new story did). Anything that can make gamepass look bad (even like this FUD) can get its own thread.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
I feel that. My plan is to let Xbox games accumulate as backlog. Subscribe for 3 months of Gamepass at the end of the year for $45 (or less in a deal), and play all the games I actually want to play, and then end that subscription. Next year, same thing. Rinse and repeat.

Moreover, those $45 can easily be accumulated via Bing rewards in 9 months. So I won't be paying anything at all really.
if last year is anything to go by you should be able to get the 3 month sub for about half price as a Black Friday deal, which the EA Play conversion deal dead I'll probably top off from the BF deals

Three

Gold Member
Absolutely! A real bad move to make this change without a warning or (at the very least) an announcement.

Xbox's official Twitter account useless stuff and cheap jokes all day, but they can't announce this? Shit move.
Probably thought it's best to piss off the small minority that do this conversion than face negative PR akin to their price hike attempt recently.

sainraja

It's also just.. pretty normal to not know when a sale is going to end. See a sale tag at a store.. it rarely comes with an expiration date.

What this indicates is that MS isn't trying to have a rush of people getting a discount (if they announced it was ending, that would have happened).. the penny counters are starting to tell leadership to "show me the money."

But that was clear during the January actual price hike fiasco too (for XBLG). MS has an insane war chest, but they are going to ask Xbox to start generating more revenue to prove that these subs aren't just people getting discounts and spending less money on gaming.

The actual price of Gamepass TBH isn't that great when you factor in the $9.99 service doesn't even come with XBL; $14.99 a month is $180 a year... it's not cheap, and that's why it exists..to make more money than they were before, not less.. right now, they are probably making less.
Well, with sales you are usually given a date for when it ends or the number of days is specified. In retail stores, the price tag will usually have a valid date for the sale price.

Rikkori

It's obvious it's all cheap as cow dung because they want to get the large base first. The squeeze will happen later, it's a guarantee. Personally I got the 3y package with the VPN trick so it's costing like $3/m for GP Ult (also sharing with a cousin), but even this cheap I can't say I necessarily find that much value in it on PC. Once the "real price" kicks in I'm definitely signing out and would only do a month or so for a bunch of big releases.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They did its on their website, unless you'd like them to call you personally before changing anything? 🙄
lol, and where did they announce or acknowledge they have made the change? Is everybody supposed to scour their entire website on a daily basis and compare every word to see if they have made any change?

Stop defending corporations at the cost of your gamers' brotherhood.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I understand your point. There is validity in it. But I think there's also one valid counterargument.

In normals sales, e.g., 10% off on a shirt, you are not spending money beforehand to be able to avail that discount. In this scenario, the users would be buying EA Play cards to avail that "discount" of EA Play to GPU conversion.

If the discount on that shirt just ends without any announcement, the consumer just doesn't get to buy the shirt at that price anymore; that is his only "loss". In this scenario, the consumer has already bought EA Play cards that he can no longer use. Had he known about the discount offer expiring, he wouldn't have purchased EA Play cards and instead explored other options to get GPU at less cost.

IntentionalPun

I understand your point. There is validity in it. But I think there's also one valid counterargument.

In normals sales, e.g., 10% off on a shirt, you are not spending money beforehand to be able to avail that discount. In this scenario, the users would be buying EA Play cards to avail that "discount" of EA Play to GPU conversion.

If the discount on that shirt just ends without any announcement, the consumer just doesn't get to buy the shirt at that price anymore; that is his only "loss". In this scenario, the consumer has already bought EA Play cards that he can no longer use. Had he known about the discount offer expiring, he wouldn't have purchased EA Play cards and instead explored other options to get GPU at less cost.
Good point.

It's not an ideal analogy for sure.

Zeroing

Banned
Still!!!
EA and MS sitting under a tree
K-I-S-S-I-N-G

both companies love each other, I am sure EA will show “affection” back.

the dating might be going though rough times.

lol, and where did they announce or acknowledge they have made the change? Is everybody supposed to scour their entire website on a daily basis and compare every word to see if they have made any change?

Stop defending corporations at the cost of your gamers' brotherhood.
It's a minor change to what was a ridiculously good offer. It's still a good offer anyway. Gamepass has to be profitable at some point and for customers like me who pay full price every month (and that's a great deal as well), forgive me if I'm not sympathetic to your complaint.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's a minor change to what was a ridiculously good offer. It's still a good offer anyway. Gamepass has to be profitable at some point and for customers like me who pay full price every month (and that's a great deal as well), forgive me if I'm not sympathetic to your complaint.
I'm not arguing that they shouldn't change offers or try to make Gamepass profitable. I've posted multiple comments saying this in this thread. It's their right, and they should do it.

The only point is that they should announce whatever change they make if it involves others' money. Their Twitter channel posts stupid stuff all day every day, but it can't announce that they have changed the conversion ratio? Why the secrecy unless you want to dupe consumers?

ZehDon

So much concern... in fact, some people seem more concerned that one platform changed the conversion rate of one digital service to another to a 1:1 match, than they were that a separate gaming platform increased the price of its games across the board by - in some countries - 25%. Odds what some folks are concerned by...

Zoro7

Banned
So much concern... in fact, some people seem more concerned that one platform changed the conversion rate of one digital service to another to a 1:1 match, than they were that a separate gaming platform increased the price of its games across the board by - in some countries - 25%. Odds what some folks are concerned by...
We have had many topics on Sony’s price increase it’s not even close. But it’s funny how Phil “can do no wrong” Spencer shafted his worshippers like this. It’s very amusing.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Which should imply that all the people who clutched their pearls about that increase are here furiously complaining right?

plains tumble weed GIF

Also, the price hike for Sony titles (which will spread, just like the censorship debate, people are focusing on the tip of the iceberg) was more directly announced while this one quietly applied.

Last edited:
We have had many topics on Sony’s price increase it’s not even close. But it’s funny how Phil “can do no wrong” Spencer shafted his worshippers like this. It’s very amusing.

Shafted in what way? It was never an official price and was a way to convert EA play users to gamepass users. It was never the official price of Gamepass.

It would have been nice to know it was ending but that's as far as my concern gets. I would have never have stacked up on unused EA lay codes because it was so obvious it was a limited time deal

ZehDon

Perhaps you should actually read those threads; very little concern from the folks that it impacts directly and a whole lot of defensive posting justifying the price hike. Of course, the fact you're attempting to explain that the situation this thread is discussing is some big problem... while also gleefully declaring how amusing it is tells me you enjoy other people's misfortunes. Are you always such a terrible person, or only in The Console Wars™?

Which should imply that all the people who clutched their pearls about that increase are here furiously complaining right?...
Why would everyone who doesn't want Sony to raise game prices complain about a completely different platform and a publisher making the exchange rate from one service to another 1:1? Some of those people don't use Gamepass, some don't game on PC/Xbox, and some don't use EA Play. Meanwhile, how many people who play on PlayStation have to pay for games on PlayStation? Oh, literally every single one of them... by your logic they should all be complaining, and that they're not means... tumbleweeds? Desert road? I don't really know; you're post doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and you're justifying Sony's 25% price increase with "everyone will do it"... in a thread about a cheap game subscription service. Genius, indeed.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
That one game you could complete and sell for 60 vs the subscription you pay at 40? Hmmmm

Or you could have access to every single game released for a small £40 sum.

To be honest, if MS somehow convinced third parties to release their AAA games on Gamepass day one, plus keep them in there forever, then I'd pay as much as £70 per month.

Allandor

So, this is still cheaper than getting 2 months of Gamepass Ultimate separately. Not much cheaper, but a bit (24,99€ vs ~25,98€). So nothing to complain here. It was just much cheaper a few weeks ago.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Shafted in what way? It was never an official price and was a way to convert EA play users to gamepass users. It was never the official price of Gamepass.

It would have been nice to know it was ending but that's as far as my concern gets. I would have never have stacked up on unused EA lay codes because it was so obvious it was a limited time deal
It was official. Xbox had it on their website.

Top Bottom