• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PSA] Xbox has changed EA Play to Gamepass Ultimate conversion from 4 months to 2 months

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Previously, if you converted EA Play to Gamepass Ultimate, you were able to convert 1 year of EA Play to 4 months of Gamepass Ultimate. Microsoft has now quietly changed this from 4 months to 2 months.

PpcuWlM.jpg

As there was no announcement by Xbox regarding this, it is super easy to miss out on this small detail. They just edited the text on their website.

This change has been already implemented, so do your future calculations accordingly. Please also tell other Gamepass subscribers who have been using this conversion path.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They've been closing these huge loopholes lately that they obviously left wide open to get more people onto the platform, but now it's time to start making money.

I got my 3 years of Game Pass for $3.20 a month, I'm good, but they'd closed the Brazilian key thing off when I tried for a friend recently.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They've been closing these huge loopholes lately that they obviously left wide open to get more people onto the platform, but now it's time to start making money.

I got my 3 years of Game Pass for $3.20 a month, I'm good, but they'd closed the Brazilian key thing off when I tried for a friend recently.
MS was happy to offer deals when there was no meaningful game development pipeline in XGS. Now they need money for 23 studios + thousands of new employees that they are now responsible for because of the aggressive acquisition.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Dang... I was going to top mine up soon...

Still think gamepass is worth full price but If there's a deal to be had...
Be grateful that you didn't stack up EA Play cards already. An official announcement was very much needed, and it sucks that they didn't acknowledge this change at all.

Anyway, I am glad this post helped you!

SomeGit

I used this to get to 3 years, but it makes sense that they closed this. I never understood why some people kept thinking GPU would always have this kinds of loopholes and be "1$" forever, it was plainly obvious that they'd crackdown on them at some point.

When you consider EA Play only costs £20 for a yearly subscription, I'm not surprised Xbox made the change :messenger_grinning_sweat: Was effectively a half price deal before

MOTM

Banned
Absolutely! A real bad move to make this change without a warning or (at the very least) an announcement.

Xbox's official Twitter account useless stuff and cheap jokes all day, but they can't announce this? Shit move.
I mean ... how cheap are you ? People on forums like this really doing the craziest gymnastics to save a few coins.

Just buy 1 pack of beer less this month and you’ll be okay.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I used this to get to 3 years, but it makes sense that they closed this. I never understood why some people kept thinking GPU would always have this kinds of loopholes and be "1$" forever, it was plainly obvious that they'd crackdown on them at some point.
I don't think it is fair to call them "loopholes". Microsoft set this model and encouraged people to upgrade to GPU with the $1 deal. It was a "deal" on offer to increase Gamepass subscribers. This conversion rate of 1-year EA Play : 4 months of GPU was also set by Microsoft and Xbox. Aaron Greenberg even tweeted this conversion rate last year.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I mean ... how cheap are you ? People on forums like this really doing the craziest gymnastics to save a few coins.

Is that what you took out of this thread? Why are you calling me cheap? I'm not the one running the company that is trying to sneak out money from their consumers by making unannounced changes.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Gamepass is worth EVERY penny at full price, of course they're going to tighten things up, that's business.

Anyone arguing against this is just plain entitled or a fanboy
No one is arguing. Xbox is entitled to price their product however they see fit. But if they make a pricing change, it's their responsibility to announce it and make sure their consumers know.

Tommi84

Absolutely! A real bad move to make this change without a warning or (at the very least) an announcement.
We all know why they did it - not only not to raise anger, but also to avoid a bunch of people rushing to stores buying those cards to top-up. But I agree, this should have been communicated at least a month before

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I don't think it is fair to call them "loopholes". Microsoft set this model and encouraged people to upgrade to GPU with the $1 deal. It was a "deal" on offer to increase Gamepass subscribers. This conversion rate of 1-year EA Play : 4 months of GPU was also set by Microsoft and Xbox. Aaron Greenberg even tweeted this conversion rate last year.
They were incentives to get people into the system. They probably had a ceiling or a milestone, achieved it, and now are lessening it.

All of these conversions will be a thing of the past once they reach their milestones.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They were incentives to get people into the system. They probably had a ceiling or a milestone, achieved it, and now are lessening it.

All of these conversions will be a thing of the past once they reach their milestones.
Agreed. I think the biggest, most popular conversion path is the XBLG 3-year stack. My theory is that Microsoft wants to end it as soon as possible but can't find a reasonable way to do it. They tried increasing the XBLG price to $120 per year -- which would have helped Xbox achieve that goal somewhat.

Leyasu

Banned
Agreed. I think the biggest, most popular conversion path is the XBLG 3-year stack. My theory is that Microsoft wants to end it as soon as possible but can't find a reasonable way to do it. They tried increasing the XBLG price to $120 per year -- which would have helped Xbox achieve that goal somewhat.
I don't think that it has anything to do with them not knowing how to end it, more than likely they have a subscriber milestone figure to achieve before they do.

The live price hike was not subtle enough and far too coercive to work. The next step will be a 10$£ live conversion once they reach a certain milestone, then full on abandonment of conversions afterwards.

skakmk

Every dollar is important for many people. Many of us plan meticulously and balance our budgets to afford gaming. So any pricing change must be communicated in advance.

MS pulled a poor move mate. Don't let loyalty blind you.

Dodkrake

Banned
its a good deal if you dont prefer ownership since you are paying for rental service.

For that much money you can buy a few games on sale per month and own them for resale. 480 pounds per year on subscriptions for games that you will never own is a shit deal.
Money is getting tight.
Lmfao paying £40 for a subscription service.
They will do everything to justify Gamepass. If uncle Phil makes Gamepass 100 quid per month, there will still be people praising it. Just wait until Xbox's are rented and not owned.

Last edited:
Seriously... How is it possible to compare a subscription increase cost with removing a "gift" that was done by MS (EA play was converted two times his value) to align the real cost of EA play vs Gamepass ultimate when converted ???? That's clearly not the same thing, that's start to be ridiculous.

reinking

Gold Member
Seriously... How is it possible to compare a subscription increase cost with removing a "gift" that was done by MS (EA play was converted two times his value) to align the real cost of EA play vs Gamepass ultimate when converted ???? That's clearly not the same thing, that's start to be ridiculous.
Can you point out where OP did this? I believe he mentioned they changed the small print and changed the conversion rate. Glad he did. Mine is up in the next few months and I would hate to have bought EA cards without knowing. Or are you replying to someone else?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It wasn't a gift. It was the conversion ratio that they themselves set.

Anyway, as I said earlier, they can choose whatever price they deem fit for their products; it is completely within their right. And the consumers can choose to use or not use that product. The only problem here is that Xbox didn't warn consumers that they are making this change and quietly edited the small text on one of their web pages.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Can you point out where OP did this? I believe he mentioned they changed the small print and changed the conversion rate. Glad he did. Mine is up in the next few months and I would hate to have bought EA cards without knowing. Or are you replying to someone else?
Thank you. And I'm glad I was able to help.

How are you now planning to resubscribe? XBLG to GP? or just $15 per month resubscription?

reinking

Gold Member
Thank you. And I'm glad I was able to help.

How are you now planning to resubscribe? XBLG to GP? or just $15 per month resubscription?
I am going to watch for deals on GP conversion codes. Plus, I have some Bing rewards saved. If I do not find deals I will probably start only subbing on months I plan to use it.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Whew, wario had just tweeted out a deal on 3 codes for $80 but I held off because I’m already subbed til 2024 and I was worried this would happen. :goog_downcast_sweat:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It wasn't a gift. It was the conversion ratio that they themselves set.

Anyway, as I said earlier, they can choose whatever price they deem fit for their products; it is completely within their right. And the consumers can choose to use or not use that product. The only problem here is that Xbox didn't warn consumers that they are making this change and quietly edited the small text on one of their web pages.
Yeah, when I first saw this I went looking for the conversion rate changes, so thanks for pointing this out.

All I will say is....so it begins. Its gonna eventually be a point in time when the deals will end and the price will go up. I stated this last year, ppl better get in on the deals when they can.

Top Bottom