• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Sony is allowing refunds for digital purchases of Cyberpunk 2077 past the 2 hr limit. Also: Sony issues biz complaint against CDPR (unconfirmed).

Have you asked for a refund? Were you successful?

• Total voters

quest

Not Banned from OT
Game is fine for me on the series x. I knew it would run like shit on base consoles hence I upgraded. Just like mordor ran like shit on the ps3 and 360. No story here except people who thought a game like this would be fine on 7 year old hardware. It was delayed how many times for base console performance. I'm glad they kept the scale and gave people an option to try it early on old consoles at their own risk with free upgrade when they do. A pc centric game runs poor on consoles holy shit shocking lol. I know this comes as a shock to a certain fan base who have had special treatment for 7 plus years. Where teams work overtime on their platform to the detriment of others that the reverse happened this time. Welcome to the other side!

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
It runs ok in SX and quality mode. So far no complains from my side. It is a very immersive game and I have been enjoying.

vkbest

TBH Both Sony's and Microsoft's fault for forcing the game to run on 2013 hardware, it could be released only for Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro and it would be fine.

Lol, Pro+X is a reduced market. PS5 and XSX will have more units sold on 6 months than both mid upgrade system had on 4 years

So companies releases the games because the sales on base system

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
1280x720.jpg

If they don't meet the expections, Sony has to ensure quality; it has more than 100 millions PS4 abroad and a reputation to back up.
This has to be a joke.
Really? Nintendo seal of quality lmfao

Orta

Banned
Its all about saving face, the developers, publishers, Sony and Microsoft would have been more than aware of the state of the game upon release.

Bollocks to them all.

MilkLizard

Looks like CDPR celebrated the recouping of their development costs too early. The reputational damage is becoming serious.
In my honest opinion though, if you have a base ps or Xbox you shouldn’t want to play that game. The Witcher 3 which came out almost a decade ago barely runs on your console so what did you expect?

Witcher 3 came out in 2015, not a decade ago. It ran fine on my base PS4 and I expected this to run more or less the same. Not too much to ask for IMO.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never got the hype about it. Watch a few videos, neither graphics or gameplay looks out of ordinary.
The key draw is the Blade Runner setting since few games have that. If 2077 was an action/RPG where you go around in modern day shooting people with an AK47 nobody would care.

And since CD made Witcher 3, gamers expect 2077 to be awesome.

Last edited:

Arun1910

Can't remember AC Unity having non-existent AI, constant crashing and clipping at this level.

Yeah AC Unity wasn't as bad as people remember. It had its fair share of bugs with quests and falling through the world but not as many bugs as Cyberpunk has.

Even the no faces bug for Unity was due to pirated copies of the game from memory.

Arun1910

Oh come on its bullshit CDPro you started development on this game when PS4 was new. You knew the specs you were targeting.

It isn't bullshit. Games stay in pre prod for a long time and with any Agile Development system, things can change over time.

Thats what I think happened. The scope of the project changed over the past 7 years, their targets shifted to newer hardware and they focused on that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh come on its bullshit CDPro you started development on this game when PS4 was new. You knew the specs you were targeting.
The game's first promo was a month before the PS4 reveal. So not only did they have PS4 specs to work with, they even had time to dabble with mid gen refreshes a few years later.

Instead, it looks like they (IMO) scrapped any base development at some point and focused on mid gen and next gen. That left base systems in the dust.

Last edited:

EDMIX

So what's a biz complaint going to do?

When I used to work at Home Depot in receiving in the back because I used to always fix the store's computers (and when I mean fix were talking about some pretty fucking easy shit like simply replacing a hard drive or cloning a hard drive or something like that)

Most of my job in receiving was to actually get all the information from the managers of Departments of what they wanted to order within their budgets in terms of what their departments needed.

Because I was pretty young at this time probably 22, I had no idea that this is how any of this really worked so apparently the store purchases from Individual vendors and these vendors have specific quantities that you need to go past in order to even order for them like you're not able to just order 5 or 2 of something that usually is in like a batch of like 10, 20 ,100 or something.

But funny enough returning back to the vendor or RTV essentially works the same way in regards to the store getting a refund so think about it like if Home Depot bought a bunch of fridges from Samsung and let's just say some electrical things simply did not work in the fridge like it was a problem that had nothing to do with Home Depot it is going to hurt Home Depot reputation if they're selling a fridge like this and people believe it's the retailers fault I know that sounds silly but ultimately that is really how people think. so when something is recalled sometimes they could get a pass but sometimes they could get hit with fines or a specific percentage must be given back to the store because of their trouble of even holding in purchasing a faulty product as we still have to deal with the returns and the complaints.

So understand that Sony and Microsoft are like a store and CD projekt Red is the vendor if you're giving them a product that is faulty or has more bugs than normal Sony and Microsoft themselves will file a complaint because you're hurting the reputation of their Network or platform.

So I completely understand why they would file such a complaint because in my opinion there needs to be fucking order there must be some consequence to releasing a game in this state and even outright fucking lying to Consumers about the actual state of the game.

I agree with the complaint and Sony and MS giving refunds.

The biggest issue I'd argue is actually them literally deceiving fans regarding the state of this game. They out right LIED to people about this game's issues.

EDMIX

Its sad to see that one of the most consumer friendly devs out there, pulled one of the most shaddy and super anticonsumer moves i saw in recent years.

They hidded the base consoles version of the games, they only sent PC review codes to reviwers and on top of that they did not allow reviwers to show they own footage of the game. Just footage that CDPR provided. That ofc showed the game running at its best and no bugs to be seen in footage. Reviweres was only allowed to show they own footage 1 day before the game released.

Agreed.

This is legit the most 2020 thing to happen in 2020. I always felt this developer was like this since they made that comment about Witcher 3's downgrade.

Witcher 3 has no downgraded they said before release.

Day after release "ok, so it was downgraded, thanks for the sales"

It told me this wasn't an accident. I understand games get downgraded and thats ok, but whats NOT OK is omitting that, leaving consumers in the dark to bank on sales only to then confirm when you know damn well they won't be able to get a refund in most cases. It was scummy then, its scummy now. Their comments about the downgrade was about JUST THAT, the downgrade, since they've NEVER apologized for giving this information out the day after release. They knew exactly what the fuck they were doing, so I'm not shocked they are doing this shit yet again, if anything I'm more surprised they are more brazen as to legit hid reviews, only allow their footage on PC so people didn't see the bugs. My expectation was that yes a downgrade happened, but the game would be playable as for fuck sakes, it is 8 years since it was revealed and they ALREADY worked on Witcher 3, thus I believed they would know the fucking hardware by now. I didn't really worry about that as even as much as I criticize them, I gave them the benefit of the doubt that the game would be playable and working, even if it was downgraded.

Never thought they would do allllll of this to the point of Sony and MS legit getting refunds

BWJinxing

The irony in all this is that...

A game that has a setting about the corporations being aweful ... Destorys itself because of a handful of corpos within the ranks

I have completed my playthrough, and the story made up for the short comings imo.

I think they should take a bethsida approach, fix the big bugs but make a mod kit and let the modding community have at it

I'm on PS4 Pro. I get in my car and just driving around the city to a new mission or a side mission or any activity for more than a minute (and especially through the denser parts of the city) causes the game to crash. It happens every. single. fucking. time.
The mission where you first meet the white corpo lady, that first interaction there should be 2 conversation options on screen, that for me is missing. So i wait for this pop up, that never arrives and she has one of her goons wack me over the head and throw me against a car. Only then do i have an option to choose what to say to her.

I reloaded this countless times and that convo choice is never available for me. It's at this point I just gave up.

Cracking game when it works (which is like for a few minutes) and then I run into either bugs or it crashes to blue screen.

Wow, that is inexcusable. I think the worst glitch I saw was during a cutscene where you talk to the lady at the counter in a bar(?) and then some random NPC or enemy started flying around and attacking our character out of nowhere. The protagonist couldn’t attack because the game thought it was a cutscene going on so therefore they couldn’t defend themselves and could only move around trying to avoid the rapidly sliding and floating enemy.

Almost finished the cutscene with the lady while dodging the enemy and went to the back to sit in a chair and thought he finally disappeared. Still in the cutscene to my knowledge and guess what? Sat in the chair and the man with the weapon in hand came sliding back towards us and killed our character and we couldn’t do anything about it. Admittedly, I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time. 😭😭😂😂😂😹😹

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Playing on series X.
No crash so far, 15h in, visual bugs yes, I play in quality mode (the motion is good) and I know they will patch the game often.

i remember the launch if Witcher 3, it was a bugfest too.
But I understand people who play the game on last gen, it looks terrible.

I'm glad Sony are offering refunds, but they shouldn't have to

People pre-ordered this game based on nothing but hype
The same people ignored red flag after red flag during the development of this game
The same people ignored the history of launches for the Witcher series
The same people ignored delay after delay

In all honesty, if you bought or pre-ordered this game its' your own fault.

A fool and his money is easily parted.

yurinka

Yep, well aware of what the process involves, working as a dev myself. What I'm finding hard to believe is that the Q&A departments for Sony or Microsoft wouldn't have been aware of the problems the game clearly has. It's the "playing innocent stance" that Sony appear to be developing (if the article is true) that doesn't sit quite right with me.
I'm pretty sure both CDProject, Sony and Microsoft were aware about the state of the game and they all three agreed the last delay and they hoped was enought to fix with day one patches most of the biggest issues.

I assume that CD Project couldn't afford more delays, didn't want to miss the Holidays season, and both Stadia and Microsoft demanded them to have it ready for Stadia and Series X|S launch even if somewhat buggy.

Sony is the one printing more money with record PS5 launch and releasing multiple games while also having the biggest console market share by far, so they are the ones who cared less about having Cyberpunk for the Christmas season, but I assume they wanted to have it at the same time as Xbox to make sure they weren't going to use Cyberpunk as an Xbox (timed console) exclusive.

Many games fix many bugs or improve performance after some optimizations with the day one patch, so I assume all of them were optimistic to have the game in a better shape for launch date after the last delay and for marketing reasons didn't want to relay it more to double check it so gave them the gold to start producing the discs. In most cases it works, in this case didn't.

The game sold a lot and already is profitable according to CD Project and Sony is happy because they are selling consoles and other games at record levels, so they will be generous with refunds for those very upset who don't have patience to wait some weeks for extra bugfixes.

Last edited:
I watched a handful of youtube video reviews and each of them stated they can only show PC footage of the game and footage was provided to them by CDPR.
I was like 'Ok, console footage must then be coming soon' and proceeded to get swept up in the hype of the PC footage and pre-ordered the game at the end of that day on my PS4 Pro.

I assumed console footage was good and maybe the developers just wasn't ready to show it off and have PC footage gets sole attention or exposure because of ray tracing, DLSS etc.

I didn't get a refund but that's ok. I've learned my lesson with these game pre-orders now. Funny thing is I have pre-ordered in the past and none of the games I pre-ordered had issues anywhere near as severe or widespread as this Cyberpunk game. Will definitely be more cautious with next game purchases as I only buy digital.

Well you're lucky you got your money back. Happy to hear Xbox has refunded you like that without issue.
weird, what is the reason they wouldn’t give you a refund? From what I heard Sony are much more strict when it comes to digital refunds

Reallink

I don't understand why they released the console versions, or how they made it past cert. Obviously they knew they were unplayable and were going to destroy both their and the game's reputations. They gained nothing rushing out this dumpster fire, AAA games are largely unaffected (sales wise) by delaying into Q1.

NickFire

I wish 4 million people asked for a refund. CDPR shouldn't have allowed this game to be made on the PS4 and Xbox One.
Based on what people are saying about the performance I tend to agree they were overly ambitious aiming for old gen. I wonder how much cover they got from negative previews / predictions based on Switch running Witcher.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Anyone successful getting a refund today after CDPR’s post? Did that actually change anything? If so, what system were you on and what refund method did you use?

Freeman76

I know Gaf is Sony oriented, but this article is nonsense. Sony are refusing refunds are telling people the product will be fixed with patches in Jan/Feb. As usual, because although they are the more popular console their customer service is terrible.

Dthomp

I'm torn, I bought this for my wife with the intent to play but haven't started yet. We are both on PS5 so likely not the complete shitshow it would be on the PS4, but I'm tempted to try for the refund since I haven't even booted the game yet, there is no way this game isn't in the bargain bin or a good sale at least a few times before it's patched into a state people are happy with.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
There's alot going on with this game. And Sony is all over the place with this game.

Lord have mercy...lol.

Why would Sony file any kind of complaint, didn't Cyberpunk have to pass certification? I call BS on that.

Certification isn't for what you think it is.

It's not QA for the game. It's a check against the platform OS API that the software works with the OS and platform features.

Devs/Pubs are expected to QA their own games. Sony and MS cannot and should not be expected to expend resources for that.

Didn't buy it in the first place, but because it's open world, not because I expected it... But given the hype, I was very likely to give it a try, I love the whole cyber punk thing since forever and I can appreciate openworld shooters.

So no, I'm never touching it.

iconmaster

Banned
Hang on, games have to pass Sony or Microsoft's certification process before a single disc can be duplicated. So they would have been well aware of the state of the game, surely?

This is a great question. I think the answer is probably that certification doesn't address the quality of the game as much as we might think. It's more about the software behaving itself as a good citizen on the console.

Some of these make a lot of sense (don’t crash), and some of these are reasonable (if you leave the main menu open for 24 hours, is the game still smooth?), and some of them sound obscene (if you rapidly plug and unplug the controller, does the game know what to do?). Some of these are enlightening (your game needs to figure out what controller the player is assigned to, thus requiring the ‘Press [button] to start’ screen only console games still have), and some of them are just headaches (don’t put UI in the outer 10% of the screen, unless you use one of those ‘how big is your screen’ interfaces). Some are legal (is any form of parental control activated or is the profile under the allowed age for gameplay? if so, did you disable the required functionality?), and some can make you desperate (the console can not have had firmware updates between your release build and the patch). Did you know consoles don’t necessarily pause your game for you when players switch to other interfaces? You have to do that yourself.

Certification is technical – it doesn’t bother with what the game is, it just concerns itself with whether it works technically. It checks whether the boxes are checked. You can market a dark gritty murder game titled Dark Horses, and submit a pony farm tycoon game, and as long as the name on the form matches the name of the game, they would not object.

Aenima

Since CDPR made the refund statment, both Sony and Microsoft have been refusing alot of the refund requests.

They really need to change they shitty refund policies if they dont even apply to a broken game.

Some examples of Microsoft refund denials:

Some examples of Sony refund denials:

(See post above this one 👆:p)

And this is just one of the reasons i never pre-order or buy full priced games on digital stores.

Last edited:
CDPR never responded to my refund request after 2 weeks. I ended up cancelling my refund as I gave it another go and it seems to be more stable. Actually enjoying it more now.

//DEVIL//

They could have CANCELLED the PS4 version if they wanted to. But we all know why they did not.
lol . You are just talk without a single thought going through your brain makes me wonder if you are just bitter or one of those resetera guys that flip on every small thing.
What the devs are doing now are just patching the game and soon it will be perfectly playable.
Imagine if they fucking cancel the PS4 and Xbox version after keeping gamers waiting for 6 years .... it will hurt the company and the investors AND their fans and user base .
Like .. think before you type it’s not that hard bud.

also why so angry ? Are you stuck with your copy and you can’t return it ? Lol

McCheese

Has anybody actually had a refund from the automated form Sony put up yet?

Haven't heard squat since hitting the button weeks ago.

Top Bottom