• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Original Gears of War Trilogy's Online Matchmaking Has Also Been Restored

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
After the recent CoD Matchmaking servers being fixed, MS has also restored the original Gears trilogy matchmaking. Not sure if it's in anticipation of some kind of a formal remaster trilogy or someone there was just feeling generous for a change.

Following recent updates, online matchmaking for the entire original Gears of War trilogy has been restored, a move that will thrill fans of the renowned series.

Effective today, players can return to the war-torn planet of Sera in Gears of War 1, 2, and 3, allowing them to participate in online multiplayer matches. This represents a significant landmark in the series’ ongoing support.

The match-finding feature for the inaugural Gears of War game is now back in service, facilitating players in searching and joining multiplayer matches seamlessly. This update complements the recent fixes made to the matchmaking system in Gears of War 3, ensuring a streamlined online experience across the entire original trilogy.

Gears 1 online on 360 wasn’t a good experience. All I remember was the delay in firing weapons and seeing it appear on screen. Probably something to do with the game being peer to peer. Gears 2 I believe largely fixed this.

Shut0wen

Gears 1 online on 360 wasn’t a good experience. All I remember was the delay in firing weapons and seeing it appear on screen. Probably something to do with the game being peer to peer. Gears 2 I believe largely fixed this.
Gears 2 servers were even worse, game wasnt playable for about 6 months after it released plus host power was still a thing, wasnt as bad as gears ones host power though

acm2000

And bring back forza 3 and 4, seriously why did turn10 even bother bringing back forza 3 as q demo for backwards compatible and MS not even bothering to drop the game
Why would they spend lots of money relicensing everything? New game is out this year and you can still play F7

isual

whoa. maybe I can finally get that 10k kills achievement in gears 1 now. I think I stopped at under 6k.

Shut0wen

Why would they spend lots of money relicensing everything? New game is out this year and you can still play F7
They can still still dump the backwards compatible without releasing it digitally on the marketplace, theres numerous games like that, forza horizon being one of them

adamsapple

They can still still dump the backwards compatible without releasing it digitally on the marketplace, theres numerous games like that, forza horizon being one of them

When they stopped the current BC program last year, they said that even making a game BC compatible requires licensing. I assume it's because you're playing the game on a hardware it was not licensed for originally, just a guess.

SkylineRKR

Yes it was terrible. Whenever I was host, I won. Because you would have 0 delay and shotguns were deadly as fuck then. The host advantage was real.

adamsapple

Activision putting in some good work.

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

DaGwaphics

When they stopped the current BC program last year, they said that even making a game BC compatible requires licensing. I assume it's because you're playing the game on a hardware it was not licensed for originally, just a guess.

That, and I don't think the X1/Xbox series systems can support the original Xbox360 code, all the backwards compatible games require downloads of a file that the newer consoles can process correctly. Great to see them working on all these older titles now.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

It just seems weird that some games you buy digitally while others require a disc like ace combat 6 and fear

adamsapple

It just seems weird that some games you buy digitally while others require a disc like ace combat 6 and fear

I don't know about AC6 but the first F.E.A.R never got a digital release in the first place, it was always only available on disc. Maybe a WB issue or something

edit: Apparently FEAR 1 was Sierra and they had it digitally delisted a while ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom