• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PSA] FPS Boost On Xbox Series Comes With a Resolution Downgrade To 1080p In Some Games

Zeeed

https://twistedvoxel.com/fps-boost-...-resolution-downgrade-to-1080p-in-some-games/

All games have their framerate increased from 30 to 60FPS.
  • On Xbox Series S all games have a resolution of 1080p (except Prey at 900p).
  • On Xbox Series X Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 they lower their resolution from 2160p to 1080p with FPS Boost activated.
  • Prey runs at 1440p on Skyrim at 2160p and Dishonored at 1080p on Series X.

So to summarize, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 who had Xbox One X enhancements for a higher resolution are dropped down to 1080p if FPS Boost is enabled to run them at 60 FPS. As for Prey, it still retains 1440p resolution while Skyrim renders at 4K. Lastly, Dishonored is 1080p on the Xbox Series X when using the FPS Boost.

Last edited:
the meat of what this is saying:

According to the analysis done by the YouTube channel, we find out that aside from Prey and Dishonored, most other games have their resolution downgraded.

All games have their framerate increased from 30 to 60FPS.
  • On Xbox Series S all games have a resolution of 1080p (except Prey at 900p).
  • On Xbox Series X Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 they lower their resolution from 2160p to 1080p with FPS Boost activated.
  • Prey runs at 1440p on Skyrim at 2160p and Dishonored at 1080p on Series X.

So to summarize, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 who had Xbox One X enhancements for a higher resolution are dropped down to 1080p if FPS Boost is enabled to run them at 60 FPS. As for Prey, it still retains 1440p resolution while Skyrim renders at 4K. Lastly, Dishonored is 1080p on the Xbox Series X when using the FPS Boost.

Dishonored was always 1080p, it never had mid-gen upgrades.

According to ElAnalistaDeBits Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 drop from their enhanced resolution to 1080p.

Curious to see this confirmed by someone else, and also if so, is it working as intended, or is this a bug? FPS Boost is still in pretty early stages. I also didn't know that Fallout 76 was 4k on One X.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That's a bigger hit to res than I anticipated. I wonder why it's vastly different hits in terms of numbers.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
That’s lame, but I am confident it will be fixed on the mid gen refresh. These next gen consoles are not as powerful as I hoped.

Stuart360

That’s lame, but I am confident it will be fixed on the mid gen refresh. These next gen consoles are not as powerful as I hoped.
They are not super powerful, but this isnt really power related as there is already a 4k/60 mod for Fallout 4 on XSX.
Also Fallout 4 1080p on X and S, Prey 900p on S, 1440p on XSX.
Some games are boosting XB1 versions, and some games are boosting OneX versions, for some reason.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Granted Prey ran pretty horribly on X1X, like not even stable 30FPS on X1X, so I would not spin this as being underpowered, maybe the FPS boost is not as fleshed out as it should be.

Riky

$MSFT
I don't think it's a bug as those are the only two games where you have to turn the FPS option on yourself, whilst all the others it's by default.

It's obviously a limit of the method though as the Series S runs them at the same 1080p 60fps.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I don't think it's a bug as those are the only two games where you have to turn the FPS option on yourself, whilst all the others it's by default.
Maybe its something related to Bethesda's engine, and it doesnt like the way Frame boost works?. I wouldnt be surprised knowing Bethesda's engine lol.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah true. Maybe they were just rushed for time because the games were about to hit Gamepass. None of us know how much work is involved to do this workaround to games.
Skyrim would be built on an older version of the engine as it's a 360/ps3 game. Only thing I can think of.

Zeeed

What's weird to me is Skyrim rez is untouched.

Only thing I can guess is that the game began as a X360 game, and was updated to other platforms with higher textures and some tweaks.
But at the end of the day, it is still a game that started out as a X360 developed game. So maybe it doesn't have as many particle effects, triangle thingies, and lighting do-dades, etc. to bog down seriesX so it can do 4k@60fps.

Stuart360

Only thing I can guess is that the game began as a X360 game, and was updated to other platforms with higher textures and some tweaks.
But at the end of the day, it is still a game that started out as a X360 developed game. So maybe it doesn't have as many particle effects, triangle thingies, and lighting do-dades, etc. to bog down seriesX so it can do 4k@60fps.
Skyrim Special Edition is a full remaster and a much harder game to run than old Skyrim, and thats the version on last gen consoles.
Plus there is already a 4k/60 mod for Fallout 4 on XSX.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Skyrim Special Edition is a full remaster and a much harder game to run than old Skyrim, and thats the version on last gen consoles.
Plus there is already a 4k/60 mod for Fallout 4 on XSX.
You are right framerate is king and I bet users can still choose 60 FPS with the changes or 30 FPS without any other change (as it was before), right?

They created a bit of unnecessary confusion hyping this up as same exact BC experience as you have now, but at 2x the framerate. If 60 FPS were to mean using the Xbox One S version of the game instead of the Xbox One X version or reducing the resolution or anything similar... it could have been clarified before a bit for transparency’s sake.

Riky

$MSFT
It is clarified when you press the option, that's why it's turned off on those two games by default.
I think there about 10 games with FPS Boost so far and only these two Fallout games have this "problem".

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Seems like a quirk with the Fallout games.
What about it the solution the backwards compatibility team have to do the frame rate boost can’t do that large of a game in 4K and do the boost to the frame rates andit doesn’t help any that both of those games are probably horribly optimized

Tried Prey, looks nice at 1440p and input latency seems right. Sucks about Fallout, hopefully they can fix it as fps boost shouldn’t have any effect on res, based on its method.

Akuji

Pretty sure it’s a bug. Those games are not demanding.
I ran fallout 4 at 1440p 80+FPS when it released on my 980ti.
These consoles should not have problems running this atleast 1440p 60
Quite possibly 1440p 120

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Quite possibly 1440p 120
They mentioned that the resolution in both Fallout games would be lowered, so it seems to be a necessary concession rather than a bug.

fatmarco

So basically they're not even running the Xbox One X version but the standard Xbox one version of both Fallouts on SX? Damn, I'll stick with the 60fps mod then.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Quite possibly 1440p 120
They cant set the resolution to 1440p. We also don’t know how much extra power we need from the backwards compatibility teams method of doing the frame rate boost

Zuzu

The Series X can run the Xbox One X version of Fallout 4 with the popular 720p/60fps mod perfectly fine (and it doesn't drop the resolution down to 720p -- it maintains the rez of the Xbox One X version). Recently, there's also been a new mod released on the Xbox which sets the game at higher than ultra settings and runs the game at 60fps. I don't know what resolution the newest mod runs at but I'm pretty sure it's higher than 1080p on the Series X. Considering what the Series X can already do with mods, this official 60fps update needs some more work.

Last edited:

Allandor

Quite possibly 1440p 120
Yep, seems like a bug.
Especially if the fallout 4 mod, that unlocks fps give us almost 60fps all the time at dynamic 4k. So it really seems that it is a bug. Quarter resolution but double the framerate does not even make sense from a hardware perspective. I guess that somehow those games runs always like on Series S.
Question is, why would they not detect something like this before releasing such updates?

They cant set the resolution to 1440p. We also don’t know how much extra power we need from the backwards compatibility teams method of doing the frame rate boost
From their description of the method it doesn't need any more performance than just rendering at twice the framerate. It is more or less just a timer that instead of asking for a frame every 33.3ms asking every 16.6ms.
But as they now really poses the Code of these games, a "repackaging" just with the unlocked framerates (more or less just an ini-file entry) seems more like the way to go. But I guess they don't want to bind any additional development resources.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
the time of ''Eats Monsters for Breakfast'' is long gone
hz5beGQ.png

cireza

Banned
Playing Dishonoed 60fps is a game changer, this is a first person game, can't tolerate 30fps anymore, way too blurry. Same for Prey.

Last edited:

Three

Yep, seems like a bug.
Especially if the fallout 4 mod, that unlocks fps give us almost 60fps all the time at dynamic 4k. So it really seems that it is a bug. Quarter resolution but double the framerate does not even make sense from a hardware perspective. I guess that somehow those games runs always like on Series S.
Question is, why would they not detect something like this before releasing such updates?

From their description of the method it doesn't need any more performance than just rendering at twice the framerate. It is more or less just a timer that instead of asking for a frame every 33.3ms asking every 16.6ms.
But as they now really poses the Code of these games, a "repackaging" just with the unlocked framerates (more or less just an ini-file entry) seems more like the way to go. But I guess they don't want to bind any additional development resources.
I believe that the mod is game specific but this FPS boost is general, cheaper/easier and is implemented at the engine level for all games. There was a news article about MS working to boost engine performance a while back and FPS boost is the outcome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom