• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Always back your stuff up regularly.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
So I just double checked and it's a mix of old Word files (probably Word 5 or 6) that do still open and have timestamps from 2002-03 (probably when I transferred them off the floppies, and files with unrecognized/no extensions and accurate timestamps:

qvbSOkd.png

I think these were all created on the school's Macs (earlier stuff I did on my C-128,) so it might be that I did these in Works. I don't think I would've used Clarisworks even if it was an option since it was clear even then that MS was going to win the office suite wars.
Are they already converted? If not, seeing the file type I would recommend using an online converter to change them to .txt files.

Yeah, I have into MS for a more universal Office Suite back when 97' came out on CD-ROM.

I do a thumb drive and a hdd backup at the same time. Don't trust cloud top much as i don't physically own that. I upgrade the thumb drive every few years to ensure i don't get the read write cycles too used up.

Yeah, but in a way it was possible with the more archaic operating systems. I had Clarisworks and it came with a fat booklet which was a bit unnecessary as word processors were already around for about 10-years at that time. USB floppy drives do work but you'll need a codec to read and convert all your old files. I imagine if the old floppies are still working as long as you stored them well and you might be able to salvage something.

HWhQwpK.jpg
The problem with usb floppy drives is that they don't read anything except 1.44mb diskettes. So 720kb and 360kb and the weird file sizes don't read or write properly. Can't use them to male boot disks for my macintosh se i have in the garage.

JordanN

Banned
Nearly one month later, I'm doing another full scale backup of all my computer files.

Especially after reading Windows 10 has been putting out updates that might leave your SSD at risk.

I got one windows update a few days that screwed up my search function. You can't be too sure anymore what Microsoft will do to your computer with these constant "bug fixes" that ends up doing something really stupid to your PC instead.

Last edited:

DonMigs85

at the very least backup essential documents, images and videos to the cloud or external/secondary storage. Big files like games and such can just be redownloaded.

JordanN

Banned
at the very least backup essential documents, images and videos to the cloud or external/secondary storage. Big files like games and such can just be redownloaded.
Well not always.

Like Scott Pilgrim vs The World was eventually removed because the license expired. Or P.T from the Playstation Store

Actually, a big reason why I hate more games going digital only. The day these servers are removed or shut down, these games are rendered unplayable forever.

DonMigs85

Well not always.

Like Scott Pilgrim vs The World was eventually removed because the license expired. Or P.T from the Playstation Store

Actually, a big reason why I hate more games going digital only. The day these servers are removed or shut down, these games are rendered unplayable forever.
you can still redownload Scott Pilgrim if you bought it right?

Working in IT, the amount of people/companies that have no idea of a backup plan is ridiculous. I once had a manager come in my office with his work laptop with a failed HDD. He said the HDD contained the only copies of his wedding photos, baby photos (including first steps) ,and other irreplaceable stuff. He got mad lucky I was able to recover everything by wrapping the drive in foil, putting in a few ziplocs and putting it in a freezer overnight. The drive worked for about 30 minutes after pulling it out of the freezer before heating up enough to start failing again.
I had to visit a company a couple of years ago that had been hit with a cryptolocker type attack(their antivirus popped up when they tried to open a supposed CV and blocked it so they disabled it and tried to open the file again), turns out they had no backups but kept the HDD from their old server when it was replaced about 8 months before. I spent a couple of days there helping them piece what we could back together from cached files and the old HDD and when I'd finished I took a couple of external drives out of my bag and started setting up a basic backup, intending for them to swap the drives daily and keep the disconnected one in their fireproof safe. The guy asks what they're for and what I'm doing so I explained to him that for the sake of a hundred quid now he can make sure that this kind of thing won't be such a shit show in the future. He grumbled on about not seeing the point in doing it now and said not to bother. Cheapskate cunt had just spent over a grand on labour but wouldn't go the extra hundred to keep his business data safe.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I had to visit a company a couple of years ago that had been hit with a cryptolocker type attack(their antivirus popped up when they tried to open a supposed CV and blocked it so they disabled it and tried to open the file again), turns out they had no backups but kept the HDD from their old server when it was replaced about 8 months before. I spent a couple of days there helping them piece what we could back together from cached files and the old HDD and when I'd finished I took a couple of external drives out of my bag and started setting up a basic backup, intending for them to swap the drives daily and keep the disconnected one in their fireproof safe. The guy asks what they're for and what I'm doing so I explained to him that for the sake of a hundred quid now he can make sure that this kind of thing won't be such a shit show in the future. He grumbled on about not seeing the point in doing it now and said not to bother. Cheapskate cunt had just spent over a grand on labour but wouldn't go the extra hundred to keep his business data safe.

Yeah that’s working in IT in a nutshell. Companies treat it as a cost centre rather than a revenue driver and this leads to cheaping out.

green_gibs

Neo Member
I'm not a data hoarder, but I definitely have some vintage files. I have the map files from Wolfenstein/Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Quake from my original Quake demo disk that you could buy a key for and unlock all the games on the disk.

I used to do the "one internal drive with files, then replication to an external drive" thing. Eventually I was able to fit encrypted cloud storage into my budget, so now even if my place burns down, my data's intact.

Top Bottom