• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's DualSense™ Controller |OT| A Next-Gen Revolution

Was it all you were hoping it would be?

• Total voters
UPDATE 10/16/2020: courtesy of wellgamer789 wellgamer789 For more visit his twitter here: https://twitter.com/welltest789

Dualsense.jpg

FrankWza

What are we seeing here? How much more of a pain will it be to open than DS4? Looks like there’s some ribbon cables in bad spots but they can be reattached easily. Original DS4 had a bad ribbon connecting the touch pad that would come undone and was hard to reinsert. I’d like to be able to swap out those stick since they stayed with the DS4 style. That’s the Only thing I’m disappointed with on the dualsense. I could swear I saw something where they changed the texture but it doesn’t look like it there

What are we seeing here? How much more of a pain will it be to open than DS4? Looks like there’s some ribbon cables in bad spots but they can be reattached easily. Original DS4 had a bad ribbon connecting the touch pad that would come undone and was hard to reinsert. I’d like to be able to swap out those stick since they stayed with the DS4 style. That’s the Only thing I’m disappointed with on the dualsense. I could swear I saw something where they changed the texture but it doesn’t look like it there

It's a maze of new tech. It will not be as easy to put back as a DS4.

FrankWza

We're gonna have to shave off a few inches from those fingers then.
Haha...it may work ok for some games but when it’s time to get real in an action game they pop off. I tried the other type too, the ones that just change the dome. They’re a bit better but they pop off eventually too. I like the texture of xb1 sticks. They have those little micro pegs that feel a bit like sand paper and grab nicely. After a few months the left one wears out and I pop in another. I have a bunch pre-dremeled that fit perfectly. They’re also a little taller too which is nice.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Haha...it may work ok for some games but when it’s time to get real in an action game they pop off. I tried the other type too, the ones that just change the dome. They’re a bit better but they pop off eventually too. I like the texture of xb1 sticks. They have those little micro pegs that feel a bit like sand paper and grab nicely. After a few months the left one wears out and I pop in another. I have a bunch pre-dremeled that fit perfectly. They’re also a little taller too which is nice.

Well, here's hoping you'll be able to modify the Dualsense to your liking. Though looking at all the number moving parts disassembled like that, I wonder if you'll be able to add those sticks without breaking something?

FrankWza

Well, here's hoping you'll be able to modify the Dualsense to your liking. Though looking at all the number moving parts disassembled like that, I wonder if you'll be able to add those sticks without breaking something?

yeah you’re probably right. Definitely not possible if you keep taking it apart.
it was a necessary thing to do when PS4 launched because of the sticks disintegrating. Then I got used to it and preferred for the rest of the gen when the pro/slim controller came out too.
At this point a back button is more important anyway. Plus I think a pro controller will be out sometime soon anyway with quick swap sticks

RPSleon

Christ, so much of this thread is just pointless arguing with someone who just wants to downplay the DS, for whate

Looks like it really is rumble triggers. Nice they threw some buzzwords on it.

Rumble doesn't do this.

In games like Deathloop, developers use the adaptive triggers to make weapons feel different from one another, and when a weapon jams, the trigger will jam too.

Maybe you should do some research?

Edit: Also Geoff had a hands on with the controller and pay attention to what he says about the triggers.

People saying that its just rumble in the triggers need to do their research a bit better. There's actual control of the tension plus the triggers can lock themselves. That's not possible with rumble.

Also a good read for those interested.

c.jpg

EVIwKaoU8AAlOw5

Last edited:
UPDATED: 10/30/2020

Haptic Feedback in the Dualsense controller is a form of fine tuned vibration that comes as a result of a functioning voice coil actuator. Unlike a rumble motor; with a voice coil actuator developers can fine tune vibration throughout the controller in a more balanced manner, more accurately and in finer sensitivities. Concept in action:

actuator57d2e9ba218dbf0c.gif

Adaptive Triggers in the Dualsense controller provide variable, developer tuned resistance (tension) thanks to a motor that, when provided with an electrical current, uses a corckscrew/gear mechanism to provide variable tension depending on the current supplied (developer choice). Concept in action:

triggers.gif

In real life:

resistance0b2e78164933e039.gif

Good video explanation of the controller two new main features in action on Astro's Playroom:

Last edited:

FrankWza

damn, looks like swapping out the analog sticks is gonna be annoying. And the sticks look identical to DS4
Just got my DualSense. This is not going to be a problem whatsoever as far as feel is concerned. These sticks are awesome. They have a nice grippy feel without the sink of the xb1 sticks. I’m impressed! Anyone who was swapping sticks after last gen DS4 rubber issues needn’t worry. These sticks are good to go. I’m a happy gamer so far. Hopefully they hold up well.

FrankWza

Isn't it time for Sony to give the paddle buttons for Dualsense? Don't make us wait any longer, Sony.
Oh please. This controller will be perfect with a back button attachment. Someone good at thread making maybe make one?

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned

Last edited:

FrankWza

Thanks. I’m gonna watch itshortly. But I am very pleased with the sticks. I used to replace my DS4 sticks with xb1 but I don’t think I’ll need to with the Dualsense sticks.

edit: thats work. I’ll attempt it eventually I guess if I need to. There’s too many ribbons and it looks like it will never feel the same after reassembled.
DS4 first edition was pretty bad but nowhere near this. The Pro/slim DS4 was easy.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Rumble doesn't do this.

Maybe you should do some research?

Edit: Also Geoff had a hands on with the controller and pay attention to what he says about the triggers.

People saying that its just rumble in the triggers need to do their research a bit better. There's actual control of the tension plus the triggers can lock themselves. That's not possible with rumble.

Also a good read for those interested.

EVIwKaoU8AAlOw5

People were saying it had magnetic fluid in it.

jaysius

Banned
Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I just got finished with DF video on the console unboxing and reactions. The PS5 controller is the most exciting and enticing next Gen feature I've seen so far. It will most likely be awhile before I get a PS5, but I am excited for that day. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

How did Sony manage to get such an amazing controller as standard for PS5? Others are charging $200 for inferior gaming controllers!

Last edited:
How did Sony manage to get such an amazing controller as standard for PS5? Others are charging $200 for inferior gaming controllers!

It's definitely great value and a step forward for controllers. I hope Microsoft copies the adaptive triggers, microphone and voice coil actuator haptic feedback as soon as possible on their stock controllers. So we get more universal support in games across the board. They know the manufacturer of the voice coil actuators so that's an easy one. Mic and voice-cancelling mic, easy too. The hard one is the adaptive triggers which have a Sony patent on it.

Last edited:
It's definitely great value and a step forward for controllers. I hope Microsoft copies the adaptive triggers, microphone and voice coil actuator haptic feedback as soon as possible on their stock controller for Xbox so it can be supported much more universally. They know the manufacturer of the voice coil actuators so that's an easy one. Mic and voice-cancelling mic, easy too. The hard one is the adaptive triggers which have a Sony patent on it.

Microsoft has their own patent on resistive triggers.

Xbox-One-Controller-Patents-03-Linear-Geared.jpg

bboris77

Neo Member

I am not exactly sure how they did it, but after getting my DualSense, I am absolutely blown away with the quality of plastics used. It truly is a premium-feeling piece of kit down to the laser engraved serial number and specs on the bottom of it. The DualShock 4 had a cheap sticker in the same place that would eventually start peeling.

The PS5 and the DualSense were clearly designed by passionate gamers - Sony clearly put the emphasis on things that matter, meaning superior controller (the only part that the player actually interacts with physically) and amazing cooling performance. Every design is a compromise, and Sony seems to have made all the right ones.

Where Sony decided to "cut corners" appears to be superficial stuff, such as underplaying the flashiness of its packaging, while still keeping the contents well-protected. For example, instead of environmentally-unfriendly plastic clamshell design of the DualShock 4 controller, DualSense comes in no-nonsense thick cardboard box which is then put inside a cheap feeling paper box with a photo of the device. Reviewers have also commented that the console itself comes inside a similar type of unassuming combination of cardboard and paper packaging that is not meant to awe the consumer when unpacking it. When you sell millions of consoles and controllers, saving a few bucks on packaging adds up quickly.

Top Bottom