• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's DualSense™ Controller |OT| A Next-Gen Revolution

Was it all you were hoping it would be?

• Total voters

Matt_Fox

"LET'S GET READY TO RUUUU... sorry... HAAAAAAAPTIC!"

cLGExQP.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That’s what I was thinking as well
30 page thread incoming

if that image of the trigger is actually the mechanism this thing is gonna snap after a month of COD

Genuine “concern” I see ;).

Interesting, thank you. I suppose the other consideration as well is how much power it uses compared to traditional rumble.

Mind I know the touchpad uses loads. I really wish they had just made it two big buttons in none PS4 mode to greatly extend battery life.

LRA’s actually can be both stronger and use less power (they are just a bit more expensive). For a good haptics feedback motors overview: https://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa194/sloa194.pdf?ts=1601279816100&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Because it’s a rumble trigger, show me the resistance, or the “feedback” it’s not there. It’s a motor in the trigger same as the XB1.
Mate you're literally implying that it doesn't have a feature they were actually talking about for a whole year.
Don't you think that's a bit risky?
I mean if so then yeah let's hate them but come on I think you're sperging out here.
Jeez.

First of all I have to say that a) the new playstation pad is probably what has me most excited about the entire console, as going back and forth from my elite to the el-cheapo ps4 pad was a sad experience.
b) we need proper stripdown and hands-on, or at least more and better info before we reach conclusions

but
... and yet you jumped on it and called it marketing BS and just the same as Impulse Triggers without seeing all the images especially the one focused on the triggers :LOL:?!?

Sony has been tooting the horn of next-gen adaptive triggers haptics with varying resistance and feel.

When I tried to say that the point here is to have tactile feedback of varying levels, again I was cursed by a bunch of people,
"daring" to compare to existing microsoft tech for a whole generation.

Seeing these pictures of the ps5 triggers, it seems they do not comply with what was said.
Maybe part of the mechanism is missing from the pics, like the battery is missing. We dont know.
But if that's all of it shown, then maybe we are going to have another "we believe in generations" moment.

ps/ Here's a pic of microsoft's patent for "trigger feedback mechanism" for reference
Xbox-One-Controller-Patents-03-Linear-Geared-1.jpg

Redlight

I think they'll be some kind of resistance, at least on the triggers, it's crossing a distinct line between marketing and bullshit if it's just rumble.

Didnt this thing have an inbuilt mic?
The speaker on the ds4 was a very underrated feature and probably one of the best features stolen from the Wii controls so im keen to see if its speaker and mic

Azurro

Banned
I heard the same thing last gen, horror games were going to measure heart rate and perspiration through Kinect.

A game could tell if gamers were having fun or getting mad.

Devs tend to say a lot of things when towing the company line early in the gen.

Let’s not pretend this one is going to the be the first.

This is a really ignorant point of view - "An unrelated thing was not true from a completely different company before, therefore it's all lies".

It just makes you look stupid, tbh.

I'm in the I've seen better group, last time I checked PS2 controllers looked better disassembled (probably PS3 as well), but maybe it would look better not disassembled, but with a transparent body. Not that it matters how it looks on the inside, unless it's got a transparent design.

Hostile_18

Banned
Didnt this thing have an inbuilt mic?
The speaker on the ds4 was a very underrated feature and probably one of the best features stolen from the Wii controls so im keen to see if its speaker and mic

Yeah this whole thing seems iffy to me. No battery, no 5 internal speaker array, I can't see any rumble.

Traxtech

The photo with the controller on the paper looks fake too, it has no shadow yet the paper is casting one. Calling bs considering there is no battery, no speaker related parts and no mic

Last edited:
That seems pretty elaborate tbh. There's separate circuitry/motors for the triggers and the motors on the controller body seem huge (or double?)

Tripolygon

Banned
That looks a hell of a lot more complex than rumble trigger. See the distance between the motor and the trigger and in front of the motor there is a gear looking mechanism.

Xbox One rumble trigger has an ERM motor directly behind the triggers.

I feel some people like him have weird obsession with pcb boards nd assume everyone wants to see it .😂😂

All people want to see is games running on the console so they know what they r getting .thats all for 95% of gamers.

What's that supposed to mean? People are going to be angry about pcb layouts?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What's that supposed to mean? People are going to be angry about pcb layouts?

“Concern Concern, doubt, fear, concern...” at least this is the translation Google Translate gave me, but you know Google Translate... punctuation and grammar may be f’ed up in there ;).

iHaunter

Did they talk about the quality of the streaming from the PS5? Like what resolution you can stream share your game from? The previous encoding was in the controller as well no?

On Demand

Banned
Are people still confused about the adaptive triggers that have resistance? Wow. XB1 and SX controllers are nothing like this. They just rumble. Old school tech. They did nothing new from last generation. DualSense is completely different.

Unknown?

Because it’s a rumble trigger, show me the resistance, or the “feedback” it’s not there. It’s a motor in the trigger same as the XB1.
Do you actually believe yourself right now? We already have confirmation of games using the adaptive pressures and even blocking it from being pressed all together.

That’s what I was thinking as well
30 page thread incoming

if that image of the trigger is actually the mechanism this thing is gonna snap after a month of COD

You can play games without torturing the controller, you know?

All the people I know that complain about controllers are those that play like retards, using more force than arm wrestlers and smashing buttons/sticks/triggers like idiots.

It is not any faster than using precise amount of control&force

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I don't know why a fanboy would set themselves up to be proven wrong by claiming it's the same as X1 trigger rumble. There is no evidence of that and people who have actually worked on the games have said differently.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yes this is a controller.
Mate you're literally implying that it doesn't have a feature they were actually talking about for a whole year.
Don't you think that's a bit risky?
I mean if so then yeah let's hate them but come on I think you're sperging out here.
Jeez.
I too remember the Sixaxis and how that controller's heptic feedback changed gaming forever.

Barnabot

looks like it has the same shitty l2/r2 shoulder buttons as the previous ds4. also i guess whoever did this disassembly saved the battery for another disappointing news. now i expect the same battery life as the ds4.

FrankWza

No credit to saintjules saintjules

Just in case Instagram doesn't load properly:

@Snowdonhoffen

12.jpg

Those are the inner organs of the PS5's next gen DualSense controller..... powering its unique haptic feedback, and adaptive triggers. Looks very compact, and quite a nightmare to assemble compared to the Dualshock 4 - as someone who has opened his to fix the common analog stick drifts. Quite a departure from the Dualschock 4.

damn, looks like swapping out the analog sticks is gonna be annoying. And the sticks look identical to DS4

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
First of all I have to say that a) the new playstation pad is probably what has me most excited about the entire console, as going back and forth from my elite to the el-cheapo ps4 pad was a sad experience.
b) we need proper stripdown and hands-on, or at least more and better info before we reach conclusions

but

Sony has been tooting the horn of next-gen adaptive triggers haptics with varying resistance and feel.

When I tried to say that the point here is to have tactile feedback of varying levels, again I was cursed by a bunch of people,
"daring" to compare to existing microsoft tech for a whole generation.

Seeing these pictures of the ps5 triggers, it seems they do not comply with what was said.
Maybe part of the mechanism is missing from the pics, like the battery is missing. We dont know.
But if that's all of it shown, then maybe we are going to have another "we believe in generations" moment.

ps/ Here's a pic of microsoft's patent for "trigger feedback mechanism" for reference
Xbox-One-Controller-Patents-03-Linear-Geared-1.jpg

Microsoft has always had the best triggers in the industry, I'm not very confident in Sony matching them.

We'll see tho.

Top Bottom