• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's DualSense™ Controller |OT| A Next-Gen Revolution

Was it all you were hoping it would be?

• Total voters
Welcome to the PS5's DualSense™ Controller |OT| A Next-Gen Revolution

dualsense-2.gif
Official Website: Click Me
Pricing and Availability:
  • $69.99/€69.99/£59.99.
  • October 30, 2020
=====================================
Features and Technical Specs:
=====================================

TouchPad:

• 2 Point Touch Pad
  • Capacitive Type
  • Click Mechanism
Six-axis motion sensing system:
  • Three-axis gyroscope
  • Three axis accelerometer.
    - for gyro aiming, motion and the like.
    - in action here: Click me.
Built-in speaker:
  • Front facing speaker for audio (game audio, OS audio and the like).
Two built-in microphones:
  1. One microphone for input found in the front of the controller (for voice chatting, dictation etc). It has a dedicated mute button in the front of the controller.
  2. Second microphone found on the rear of the controller for noise-cancelling surrounding noise.
Quality test:
https://vocaroo.com/1coS4UN5EzJG

Ports:
  • Standard 3.5mm headset jack.
  • USB Type-C

Haptic Feedback:

Haptic Feedback in the DualSense controller is a form of fine tuned vibration that comes as a result of a functioning voice coil actuator. Unlike a rumble motor; with a voice coil actuator developers can fine tune vibration throughout the controller in a more balanced manner, more accurately and in finer sensitivities. An example of a voice coil actuator in action:

actuator2.gif

What you get:
haptic3.gif

More on voice coil actuators: Here

Adaptive Triggers:

Adaptive Triggers in the DualSense controller provide variable resistance (tension) for the L2/R2 triggers. This is thanks to a motor that, when provided with an electrical current, uses a worm-screw/gear mechanism that creates resistance while a trigger is pressed. The resistance created can be weak, mild or strong (or anything in between) depending on the current supplied (developer choice). Mock gif below uses patent diagram simulating speculated operational concept:

triggers.gif

In real life:
adaptive-trigger.gif

touch.gif

More in depth here: Patents commentary

Battery:

• Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery (1560mAh).
  • Recharges via USB Type-C (Hi-Speed) port or through the charging terminal with a Charging Station (official or aftermarket).
Communication/Interfacing:
  • Wireless: Bluetooth Ver. 5.1
  • Wired: USB connection (HID, Audio)
Dimensions and weight:
  • 160 x 66 x 60mm
  • 280g
Buttons:
  • PS button, Create button, Options button, Directional buttons (Up, Down, Left, Right), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), R1 / L1 button, R2 / L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button, Right Stick / R3 button, Touch Pad button, MUTE button
  • Improved Left stick/Right Stick mechanism.
Compatibility:
  • PS5: Full
  • PC: Partial
  • PS4: Partial
  • PS3: Partial
  • Android: Partial
  • iOS: unknown
=================================================================================
Examples of current/future use in games:
UPDATED 12/01/2020

=================================================================================
  1. Astro's Playroom: Adaptive triggers simulate spring tension. Haptic feedback simulate surfaces, and trampoline jumps. + more.
  2. Returnal: Adaptive triggers for switching firing modes. Haptic feedback for sensations in memory fragments as well as weapon firing discharge.
  3. Destruction AllStars: Haptic feedback is used to simulate vehicle ramming and in-game actions. Adaptive triggers are used to simulate vehicle differences.
  4. Demon's Souls: Haptive Feedback simulates enemy attacks bouncing from shield, and is used to give players feedback on well-timed attacks/spells/parries.
  5. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart: Adaptive triggers simulate weapon fire modes. Haptic Feedback simulate feel.
  6. Godfall: Haptic Feedback for weapon feel and weight of attacks. + more.
  7. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales: Haptic Feedback for Spider-sense, venom punch and more.
  8. Horizon Forbidden West: Adaptive triggers used for weapon differentiation (based on recoil resistance).
  9. Sackboy: A Big Adventure: Adaptive triggers are used to simulate tension when carrying objects and haptic feedback for the sensation of firing weapons.
  10. Bugsnax: Haptic feedback for different sensations when running on land, water, sand, snow or bumping into bugsnaxs. Adaptive triggers are used when setting traps.
  11. Gran Turismo 7: Adaptive triggers simulate ABS/pedal braking and Haptic feedback for tactile surface feedback.
  12. Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition: Haptic Feedback when Reving up Nero’s exceed + more.
  13. Deathloop: Adaptive triggers simulate weapon jamming. Haptic feedback when taking damage.
  14. Ghostwire: Tokyo: Adaptive triggers simulate shooting recoil as well as other player actions. Haptic Feedback for gameplay nuances.
  15. NBA 2K21: Adaptive triggers are used to covey energy and fatigue. Haptic feedback is used to simulate player collisions. + more.
  16. The Pathless: Adaptive triggers simulate tension when pulling the bowstring. Haptic Feedback helps with shot timing.
  17. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War: Haptic feedback for explosions close to the player.
  18. Oddworld: Soulstorm: Haptic Feedback for palpitations of Abe’s heart, with adaptive triggers usage for Abe's struggle.
  19. Nour: Play With Your Food: Adaptive triggers for resistance when cutting food with a knife. Haptic feedback for the feel of the knife slicing in food.
  20. Heavenly Bodies: Adaptive triggers for the feel of grip in picked up objects, ropes etc. Haptic Feedback for ship rattling and player sensations.
  21. Goodbye Volcano High: Haptic Feedback used for conveying tension when making difficult decisions.
  22. Prey for the Gods: Adaptive triggers used when pulling bowstring to fire arrows. Haptic Feedback for walking on snow, and wind force.
  23. Madden 21: Haptic Feedback for the impact of shots, passes, catches, kicks, tackles etc.
  24. Rock Band 4: Microphone used for singing.
  25. No Man's Sky: Haptic feedback for the weapon feel (firing etc). Adaptive triggers for trigger click in your interstellar ship.
  26. Ride 4: Adaptive triggers simulate gas and brake levers. Haptic Feedback for vehicle's vibrations.
  27. Fornite: Haptic feedback makes it feel like you’re holding the Suppressed SMG/Bolt-Action Sniper Rifle + general vibration support. Adaptive triggers are used for ranged weapons.
  28. Resident Evil ViIIage (VIII): Haptic feedback used to simulate the feeling of firing a real gun. Adaptive triggers used for weapon weight feel and pull.
  29. Warframe: Adaptive triggers will simulate the impact of every shot fired with each trigger pull. Haptic Feedback is used to generate vibration patterns that match in-game environments.
  30. Observer: System Redux's: Haptic Feedback for weight of objects, scanned items, resistance when opening doors and much more.
  31. Overcooked! All you can eat: Uses the lightbar, the touchpad, the built-in mic and the haptic feedback for various functionality.
  32. The Last of Us Part 2: Adaptive triggers for bowstring pull. Haptic feedback for weapon shot release feeling, as well as when ramping boat motors etc.
  33. Rainbow Six Siege: Adaptive triggers for gun trigger resistance, full auto or semi. Haptic feedback for explosions, gadgets and other uses.
  34. Borderlands 3: Adaptive triggers simulate differences between guns when pulling the trigger. Haptic feedback simulates feel of weapon discharge. Light strip also used.
  35. FIFA 2021: Adaptive triggers used to increase trigger resistance as stamina drain.
  36. Hitman 3: Adaptive triggers to simulate weapon firing/recoil and also for focus effect (slow mode). Haptic feedback tied to gun sun.
Many more games have announced Dualsense support but have yet to disclose details. Will update when those come in. Do bump this thread if you see any missing or tag me.

===========================================================================
Developer commentary on ease of features use with PS5's SDK:
===========================================================================

Activision.jpg

duck.jpg

Page 26: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology/activities/Tech2020/pdf/Sonys_Technology_2020_E.pdf

============================================
Dualsense Teardown and Internals:

Professional Teardown: Piku_Ringo Piku_Ringo

Courtesy of wellgamer789 wellgamer789 For more visit his twitter here: https://twitter.com/welltest789
Dualsense.jpg

Other Media, Previews, and Reviews:
=============================
===============

Preview on Astro's PlayRoom:

Last edited:
I’d be interested in seeing you point out the difference.

The difference is that they don't look the same. Obviously we'll need better, higher quality pictures of the parts, not to mention see the functionality in action and compare it pound for pound. I think you should be the one explaining why you think it's exactly the same with a different name looking at those pictures, and then looking at this:

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The difference is that they don't look the same. Obviously we'll need better, higher quality pictures of the parts, not to mention see the functionality in action and compare it pound for pound. I think you should be the one explaining why you think it's exactly the same with a different name looking at those pictures, and then looking at this:

maxresdefault.jpg
Because it’s a rumble trigger, show me the resistance, or the “feedback” it’s not there. It’s a motor in the trigger same as the XB1.

Because it’s a rumble trigger, show me the resistance, or the “feedback” it’s not there. It’s a motor in the trigger same as the XB1.

I obviously can't show that. You would have to test the controller to see that or own the controller yourself to show the part in detail that performs said task. What we see is that it looks different from those shots. Maybe you're right and it's all marketing jargon but to go all in on such opinion I think is premature.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I obviously can't show that. You would have to test the controller to see that or own the controller yourself to show the part in detail that performs said task. What we see is that it looks different from those shots. Maybe you're right and it's all marketing jargon but to go all in on such opinion I think is premature.
2 way street, to base it on anything more results in the same.

Either you believe the marketing, or you wait to see.

2 way street, to base it on anything more results in the same.

Either you believe the marketing, or you wait to see.

I wait to see.

What I can say comfortably is that they don't look the same on a superficial level from those shots. I will also say Sony, and even developers have gone a long way in describing the functionality of it and how it will be present in their games. Astro's Playroom is a literal game sized demo for the controller and said functionalities. Now either developers are lying (including those from Arkane with Deathloop - now a MS owned dev), and BSing along side Sony's marketing dept or you're wrong. Time will be the judge of that.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I wait to see.

What I can say comfortably is that they don't look the same on a superficial level from those shots. I will also say Sony, and even developers have gone a long way in describing the functionality of it and how it will be present in their games. Astrobots Playroom being a literal demo for the controller and said functionalities. Now either developers are lying (including those from Arkane with Deathloop - now a MS owned dev) and all of them are in cahoots, BSing along side Sony's marketing dept or you're wrong. Time will be the judge of that.
I heard the same thing last gen, horror games were going to measure heart rate and perspiration through Kinect.

A game could tell if gamers were having fun or getting mad.

Devs tend to say a lot of things when towing the company line early in the gen.

Let’s not pretend this one is going to the be the first.

I heard the same thing last gen, horror games were going to measure heart rate and perspiration through Kinect.

A game could tell if gamers were having fun or getting mad.

Devs tend to say a lot of things when towing the company line early in the gen.

Let’s not pretend this one is going to the be the first.

Nothing wrong with skepticism. I won't disagree there.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah right you must not have even looked at the triggers to say that

He is waiting and seeing ;) (and complaining in the other threads about SonyGAF not valuing MS’s contributions and general insecurity accusations at the PS fanbase focusing on sales in a thread with only Xbox fans in... complaining essentially about echo chambers).

Last edited:

onQ123

I looked at the pics, show me where I’m wrong.

or just be a dismissive asshole, neither one affects me that much.

Xbox trigger just has a smaller rumble motor just like the bigger rumble motors that are in the controller PS5 trigger is connected to this

qevHOO6.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You are, there are 2 chucnky motors on the handles. Thank god they are not looking like the puny ones on the joycons.

On the JoyCons they were of appropriate size and strength, it was the Pro Controller that was too big and heavy for using the same sized/strength actuators.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I gave it a quick google didnt see much about it. This has completely passed me by. How is it strength wise compared to traditional rumble?

A bit more textured/refined but usually a tad bit less pronounced... then again we need to feel it on this controller as the feel changes a lot based on the size, shape, and weight of the controller as well as the size and strength of the actuators.

LRA engines for haptic feedback are generally a lot smaller than oscillating mass rumble engines btw.

Hostile_18

Banned
A bit more textured/refined but usually a tad bit less pronounced... then again we need to feel it on this controller as the feel changes a lot based on the size, shape, and weight of the controller as well as the size and strength of the actuators.

LRA engines for haptic feedback are generally a lot smaller than oscillating mass rumble engines btw.

Interesting, thank you. I suppose the other consideration as well is how much power it uses compared to traditional rumble.

Mind I know the touchpad uses loads. I really wish they had just made it two big buttons in none PS4 mode to greatly extend battery life.

Top Bottom