• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5, Xbox Series X, And PC Part Shortages Won't End Soon, Says AMD (until 2nd half of 2021)

Jethalal

Banned
PS5, Xbox Series X, And PC Part Shortages Won't End Soon, Says AMD - GameSpot

AMD CEO Lisa Su has indicated that supply shortages for gaming consoles, desktop CPUs, and GPUs will continue until the second half of 2021, with the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, and Series S most affected.

The news was included in AMD's full-year financial earnings (via Tom's Hardware), which showed the company surpassing its past earning records with a strong Q4. This was in part thanks to the launch of a slew of AMD-powered products, including both current generation consoles, AMD's Zen 3-powered Ryzen CPUs, and RX 6000 series graphics cards.

Supply of all three has been tight since launch, however, and Su expects this to continue being the case until new production capacity comes online. Su also pointed out that lower-cost components for low-end PCs and both consoles will be affected the most given the overwhelming demand, with the prospects for new stock of much higher-priced components looking more positive over the same period.

This is identical to the situation Nvidia finds itself in with stock of its RTX 30-series GPUs, which it says will not be any better before at least April. Nvidia did announce a new RTX 3060 desktop GPU and multiple laptop RTX 30-series chips at CES 2021 despite this.

Stock of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X has been a nightmare since launch, which isn't at all out of the norm for a big, anticipated release of new gaming hardware. Microsoft previously expected stock issues to continue through March, and it's yet to be seen how AMD's plans for increased production later this year will help alleviate issues further.

ORIGINAL ARTICLE: AMD Smashes Earnings Records, Chip Shortages To Last Until Second Half of 2021 | Tom's Hardware

kretos

Banned
Yeah good luck finding PS5 before 2022

202kib-774x565-pepe-sad-png-8-calculator-meme-2017-11562893400o2uhkiabef.png

Jethalal

Banned
I couldn't. And I'm in need of a graphics card more so than PS5, atm :(

Couldn't get that one too. They're either out of stock or way too overpriced.
Yup, first they keep low stock at launch and few days later when stock increases they jack up the prices. They are apparently increasing import taxes this year too. No relief for us. I'll get a PS5 after board exams though. Hopefully I'll find one.

I'm having a good time ,not gonna lie, especially with the pandemic period , hope everyone to find what they looking for.

Zeroing

Banned
Slowly a time is coming when we will be forced to stop wasting the planet's resources.

Maybe we should think of making long lasting, easy to fix hardware, rather than the shit we have been producing for the last 10/15 years.
Unfortunately it will not happen, the business model is to make everyone buy/upgrade as soon as possible, there was a time that for example Apple make such long lasting macs and phones that they had to cap the performance of the products so that people upgraded it.

cireza

Banned
Unfortunately it will not happen, the business model is to make everyone buy/upgrade as soon as possible
It will happen when resources are so scarce that the stupidly high production we have nowadays becomes impossible to maintain. Not tomorrow, obviously, but sometime in the future.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
It will happen when resources are so scarce that the stupidly high production we have nowadays becomes impossible to maintain. Not tomorrow, obviously, but sometime in the future.
True but I have some bad news for you!

Do not watch planet of the humans documentary!
You will become depressed :(

Ten_Fold

Having Xcloud/Gamepass streaming access through TV this fall is going to be a hit. I can see a controller + Xbox streaming stick for $50 as a top selling christmas gift for casual gamers.
I agree, especially if you can play online with friends/family who own a Xbox series s or x. Everyone can play since not everyone has the cash to spend on next gen consoles and even try to get the drop.

I have to admit a weakness GAF, I'm seeing $300 over retail on eBay right now and getting really fucking tempted if we're going to be going through this shit for another year and a half.

Wonder what scalpers will do with a PS6.

They will have an industry set up at this rate.

Rayderism

I'm getting to the point where I'm starting not to care anymore. Not going to buy from a scalper. Not going to jump through a bunch of hoops to get one. Not looking forward to paying some exorbitant price for a secondary SSD of a size I'd be satisfied with, once they finally enable the port. Tired of wondering if they will ever allow cold-storage of PS5 games to a less expensive standard external HDD. They borked PSN, making finding things like new DLC difficult, no pics or vids for the games, no sorting options, etc. They're arbitrarily jacking up prices, and killing legacy system support.

Really, the list of things Sony has (and hasn't) done recently is starting to annoy me, and that annoyance seems to be growing every month with every dumbass decision they make. Then to hear that it may be another year before PS5 becomes widely available (at best) is discouraging. I'm just getting very tired of the whole situation, and I'm beginning to think "to hell with it." I mean, unless a PS5 drops into my lap, I just might never bother.

bender

What time is it?
2nd half of 2021 is waayyyyy too optimistic. We'd be lucky if global manufacturing returns to normal in 2022 at this rate.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm getting to the point where I'm starting not to care anymore. Not going to buy from a scalper. Not going to jump through a bunch of hoops to get one. Not looking forward to paying some exorbitant price for a secondary SSD of a size I'd be satisfied with, once they finally enable the port. Tired of wondering if they will ever allow cold-storage of PS5 games to a less expensive standard external HDD. They borked PSN, making finding things like new DLC difficult, no pics or vids for the games, no sorting options, etc. They're arbitrarily jacking up prices, and killing legacy system support.

Really, the list of things Sony has (and hasn't) done recently is starting to annoy me, and that annoyance seems to be growing every month with every dumbass decision they make. Then to hear that it may be another year before PS5 becomes widely available (at best) is discouraging. I'm just getting very tired of the whole situation, and I'm beginning to think "to hell with it." I mean, unless a PS5 drops into my lap, I just might never bother.
Sony has always been adaptive and typically listened to the consumer. They aren’t a chip manufacturer or fab. They can’t speed this up. Hell, even AMD can’t.

no pics or vids for the games - LOL

They're arbitrarily jacking up prices - LOL. Expect raised prices from Xbox too. These corporations are not your friend or the dedicated GAF poster who'll just do stuff in the interest of the community. These are business and making money is their objective if you didn't know that.

Really, the list of things Sony has (and hasn't) done recently is starting to annoy me, and that annoyance seems to be growing every month with every dumbass decision they make - LOL. Like what? Playstation has been radio silent on their next gen plans for months now. No one know's what they're really planning for the near future or beyond. We don't even know the status of their first party games set to launch this year and we're almost in May.

Then to hear that it may be another year before PS5 becomes widely available (at best) is discouraging. I'm just getting very tired of the whole situation, and I'm beginning to think "to hell with it." I mean, unless a PS5 drops into my lap, I just might never bother. - LOL, everything from graphics cards, to consoles are seeing very high prices, are in high demand with very limited supply and will be so for the next year at least.

Your post started off good with avoiding scalpers but then fell straight off a cliff after that.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

It’s annoying, but it’s not like the thing has anything crazy good right now. I’ll be more annoyed in 3 months when R&C Rift Apart drops if I haven’t been able to secure one by then.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
We seem to still have a much better chance to get one if you decide to here for PS5. Xbox never released officially here since ever so it's out of the equation.

TrebleShot

Get a Series S they are readily available everywhere.

Nothing on XBOX is pushing the system anyway at the moment, rinse GP and then upgrade to an X or PS5 when you can either be bothered to attempt to get stock or when supplies are more available next year.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No rush for me; want to play Puppeteer on PS3, still yet to play Sekiro on PS4 and I can grab Frozen Wilds on my PS4 too. Might just get MM and Sack Boy for PS4 as well.

Got a Series S and Switch too.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I'm sure some marketers love these shortages to keep demand and mindshare high but overall I expect manufacturers are fuming and shitting themselves behind closed doors. You can't pay shareholders with just "demand".
You can if "demand" means "skyrocketed prices whatever the competition is doing". You increase your Average Selling Price and less volume means less risk.

All these companies are posting record profits quarter after quarter, so that's probably what's been happening.

saintjules

I have to admit a weakness GAF, I'm seeing $300 over retail on eBay right now and getting really fucking tempted if we're going to be going through this shit for another year and a half.

If you're in the US Stockx currently has them at $710. If you have continued to save cash post launch, I would just say F it and get it there.

Keep in mind, it's AT BEST!

Shortage could happen until 2022 and later. Good luck finding a new console and RIP all devs for those hardwares with no last gen ports.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

It’s annoying, but it’s not like the thing has anything crazy good right now. I’ll be more annoyed in 3 months when R&C Rift Apart drops if I haven’t been able to secure one by then.

It’ll probably be worse when stuff like R&C, god of war, and horizon zero dawn is coming out.

I was able to get a SeX around launch and am very happy with it, problem is friends only play on PS. This far I used to be eager to get a PS5 so can play my games in 60fps on that platform too, but recently realized that sony is a fuckstick and my razer pro controller won't be working with the "PS5 version" games I have on my PS4Pro right now... And there are no words of any PS5 pro controllers coming any time soon, so fuck this bullshit. I'm happy with my SeX with my razer controller I'm already used to and with GamePass.

nerdface

Banned

ffs, we are at the end of a pandemic

pull yourself together

Umbasaborne

Banned
I think full scale next gen support is probably two years off. I expect most major titles to be cross gen this year and next year

Top Bottom