• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 & Xbox Series S/X Appreciation Thread - Good Vibes Only

fart town usa

Gold Member
Thought about making this because the PS5 really caught me off guard with some of its features. Seeing that I'm a regular poster here, I was surprised that I went this long with being largely clueless about what the PS5 is capable of.

Thought it could be useful/beneficial for people who don't own any of the nex-gen consoles but are in the market for one. Let's keep it cordial and share some of the things we enjoy about these new, yet hard to find, devices.

Not a stealth brag either, let's show that people can appreciate differing consoles without arguing over dumb shit. I searched for similar threads but didn't see anything about just appreciating the consoles as a whole.

As some of you know, I recently got a PS5 for a killer deal of $920. It was one of those things where I felt like I didn't need one but was worried they might get more expensive or harder to find, so I bit the bullet.

I wasn't really sure what to expect and since I don't have a 4k TV, wasn't sure how the visuals would be. I didn't really know much about the features of the PS5 either. After owning one for roughly 10 days, I gotta say that I effing adore this thing. It truly feels like a luxury device and I'm honestly blown away at some of its features.

What do I love about it?

Dual Sense for one, this thing is insanely comfy, it feels so damn good and I love the enhanced rumble and resistant triggers.

Being able to quickly save gameplay footage, I think it goes back as far as 15 minutes at any given point. It's so cool being able to quickly save the last 30 seconds of gameplay in case something funny or cool happens.

The microphone built into the controller. I don't have a Sony headset and don't need one, my JBL over the ears sounds great and my friends say the the controller mic sounds clear when we're in group chat.

The ease in transferring my games/saves from the PS4 to PS5 via an Ethernet cable. The PS5 set up was so easy and seamless and it even left my games on the PS4. I figured it'd take them all like the Wii to Wii U system transfer.

The PS5 is an absolute powerhouse when it comes to PS4 compatibility. I love being able to play PSVR and have the boosted visuals. It also runs non-VR games in a much smoother manner and load times are better, etc. It's bizarre playing PS4 games and going, "Ohhhh, this is what is should have felt like all along?" lol.

Going from ER on a base PS4 to the PS4 version on a PS5 was truly mind blowing. I felt like I went from a PS3 to playing a game on a high end PC. It's just so insanely smooth and the boost in visuals is night and day.

It's really quiet too, it kind of winds up when I boot the system up or load a disc based game but after that it's basically silent. Fast load times too, kind of non-existent in the two PS5 games I've played so far. Astro's Playroom and Ghostwire.

I really do hope these things get more available, and soon, cause it's a bummer having this thing locked away from the masses. Gotta be so frustrating for Sony.

I hope to see some posts in here, owning the PS5 has got me really curious what the Series X is all about and the neat features it has. I don't really know much about it outside of the legacy BC feature. Really cool of MS to do that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I feel #Blessed that I was able to pick up a new generation console in the launch weeks. I know the struggle people are having since then and I can only count my blessings.

Yes, we don't have THAT many next gen software yet, but at least we're getting a lot of standard 60 FPS experiences, which is better than the last couple of generations at launch.

So it's been a fun time playing games on console that play amazingly smooth.

Last edited:
I feel #Blessed that I was able to pick up a new generation console in the launch weeks. I know the struggle people are having since then and I can only count my blessings.

Yes, we don't have THAT many next gen software yet, but at least we're getting a lot of standard 60 FPS experiences, which is better than the last couple of generations at launch.

Man speaks the truth. I was able to grab both a XSX and PS5 at lunch for retail and both systems are pretty great. I was pretty impressed with how well some features that were just considered marketing speak and hype ended up being fantastic, like Quick Resume and Smart Delivery. Seemed pretty basic at the time but ended up amazing.

Xbox's backward compatibility is second to none and it's really appreciated to see a company respect my previous purchases. Who'd have thought a game I bought in 2005 would still work now? Magic technology. I wish every platform holder did that.

sircaw

Banned
It's been about a month since I received my new Ps5, i was a ps4 pro owner before that.

All i can say is, I am beyond delighted with the purchase.

The first thing that was so apparent to me was just the overall smoothness of the console, everything is just so slick.
From boot up to menu navigation, to even starting programs like youtube or Netflix, everything just operates quicker.

The next thing that i adore is the load times in games, everything is just so snappy to play.

The new ssd, is seriously a game-changer, it has shaved an eternity of loading times,

The new controller is also the best i have ever used, the haptics are just incredible, Astro is a masterpiece.

Believe it or not, the mic feature in the controller is a bigger deal than i thought it was, i use it to send messages to friends, search on youtube etc, it's so nifty and so much better than typing.

Another thing that i seriously like is the console itself, people made such a big deal out of it being so large, i must say i don't really get that, i own the digital version maybe that's the reason.

The console is also whisper-quiet, unlike my ps4-pro, even after hours of gameplay, it remains cool to touch no matter the game i play.

As for negatives, in the beginning, i was not sure about the UI, now after getting used to it, i actually prefer it to the old one, the only thing i would like is my themes back. i miss my spiderman one, cry.

All in all, its a perfect 10,
I waited so damn long to get one, and all i can say is it was well worth the wait.

I love the next-gen console experience :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

Does the XSX have the same feature that allows you to record prior gameplay footage? I frigging love that.

My brother told me that the Switch has it too, which really surprised me. I own a Switch but honestly never play it. Figured it was something new to PS5/XSX(S)

edit- should have asked DarkMage619 DarkMage619 , he's the one who owns both.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Does the XSX have the same feature that allows you to record prior gameplay footage? I frigging love that.

Yes, depending on what resolution you set the capture at, you can record quite a bunch.

I think that's been standard since the PS4 (Not sure if XBO had that).

Plantoid

No PS5 here

One of the things I like about Xbox is the save system, i use cloud gaming every weekend because I travel a lot, almost every game pass title is ready to go, just click launch and everything is where you left, all your saves...

Another thing is the quick resume, seriously, I can power on my console and in less than 10seconds I'm back at shooting npcs in some games (not every game works)

Last but not least, the controller, i love how my batteries lasts for like 10+hours or more and I can use it anywhere i want, smartphone, PC, it's ready to go no matter what

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I sometimes play through my PS4 games on my PS5 to get the benefit of playing a game without a jumbo jet taking off in the background.

My Series X is predominantly used for Game Pass / MS exclusives, PS5 obviously Sony first party but 99% of third parties too.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

As some of you know, I recently got a PS5 for a killer deal of $920
laughing-tom-cruise.gif

My brother told me that the Switch has it too, which really surprised me. I own a Switch but honestly never play it. Figured it was something new to PS5/XSX(S)

edit- should have asked DarkMage619 DarkMage619 , he's the one who owns both.
You can record previous gameplay but it is one area where the PS5 is more robust. You can make longer videos at higher resolutions easier on PS5.

Lone Wolf

PS5, Xbox Series X and Two Xbox Series S consoles in our home. Love all of them. I never imagined that the fast loading would be what I love the most. Can’t stand to play the prior gen now. Looking forward to when all the devs drop last gen.

Reactions: TLZ
Have both, love both...Xbox is my go to cause it made gaming the main focus and everything else is done in the background. I love I can pop a game in and it auto plays the next gen version. I love quick resume where I can swap from elden ring to halo infinite easy. I love gamepass and the great games it provides. we are in the best era to be a gamer and I love it.

Edit: Both a series S and X , cloud saves are one of the best treats in gaming. I can go to my GF house, load up my profile, elden ring is in the exact spot i left on my xsx...its such a good feature.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
You can record previous gameplay but it is one area where the PS5 is more robust. You can make longer videos at higher resolutions easier on PS5.
I never used to record clips before, but i have started doing it now.

This silly clip for example, for a simpleton like me, it was beyond easy to do.

Move over Spielbergo :messenger_heart:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I really like my PS5. It's a cool console, and it's so nice to have 60fps modes in pretty much everything. What a change from last gen. We'll see if it lasts once we leave cross-gen (if we ever do) though. But the best thing of all is the fast loading. That's the real game changer. It's absolutely amazing in proper native PS5 games that load in like 2 seconds, but still pretty cool in other games that load in 10 seconds instead of 30-60.

It's pretty shitty that there's still no VRR, but it doesn't matter to me personally YET, since my TV doesn't support it.

Other than that, the only thing I don't like is the coil whine. Somehow it seems to have gotten louder since I started playing Elden Ring, or maybe I just notice it more because the game has no sound while loading.

But overall, very nice piece of hardware. I even like how it looks!

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I really like my PS5. It's a cool console, and it's so nice to have 60fps modes in pretty much everything. What a change from last gen. We'll see if it lasts once we leave cross-gen (if we ever do) though. But the best thing of all is the fast loading. That's the real game changer. It's absolutely amazing in proper native PS5 games that load in like 2 seconds, but still pretty cool in other games that load in 10 seconds instead of 30-60.

It's pretty shitty that there's still no VRR, but it doesn't matter to me personally YET, since my TV doesn't support it.

Other than that, the only thing I don't like is the coil whine. Somehow it seems to have gotten louder since I started playing Elden Ring, or maybe I just notice it more because the game has no sound while loading.

But overall, very nice piece of hardware. I even like how it looks!
really sorry to hear you have coil whine, there was a video way back, about some sticker in the casing that was causing noise, it's a long shot but maybe that could be the reason.

Last edited:

FingerBang

I've had both consoles since launch and they're both great machines. Powerful, quiet and with a bunch of QoL improvements compared to the previous gen. You can't go wrong with either of them, both have their strengths and weaknesses, but overall they're much better than anything we've had before from a hardware standpoint.

It's unfortunate that the shortages are holding it back, but I think we'll see some amazing next gen only games in the future.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
really sorry to hear you have coil whine, there was a video way back, about some sticker in the casing that was causing noise, it's a long shot but maybe that could be the reason.

Nah, it very obviously varies in frequency and intensity with what the GPU is doing. It's not the fan slapping some sticker around.

Last edited:

BigLee74

It's been about a month since I received my new Ps5, i was a ps4 pro owner before that.

All i can say is, I am beyond delighted with the purchase.

The first thing that was so apparent to me was just the overall smoothness of the console, everything is just so slick.
From boot up to menu navigation, to even starting programs like youtube or Netflix, everything just operates quicker.

The next thing that i adore is the load times in games, everything is just so snappy to play.

The new ssd, is seriously a game-changer, it has shaved an eternity of loading times,

The new controller is also the best i have ever used, the haptics are just incredible, Astro is a masterpiece.

Believe it or not, the mic feature in the controller is a bigger deal than i thought it was, i use it to send messages to friends, search on youtube etc, it's so nifty and so much better than typing.

Another thing that i seriously like is the console itself, people made such a big deal out of it being so large, i must say i don't really get that, i own the digital version maybe that's the reason.

The console is also whisper-quiet, unlike my ps4-pro, even after hours of gameplay, it remains cool to touch no matter the game i play.

As for negatives, in the beginning, i was not sure about the UI, now after getting used to it, i actually prefer it to the old one, the only thing i would like is my themes back. i miss my spiderman one, cry.

All in all, its a perfect 10,
I waited so damn long to get one, and all i can say is it was well worth the wait.

I love the next-gen console experience :messenger_heart:
Get a room! 😂

(I will purchase a PS5 one day, no doubt)

Hezekiah

Banned
Playing Sekiro on my PS5 was a massive improvement, really beneficial given how damn hard the game is. Horizon looks absolutely amazing (as does Ratchet and Clank), a real generational leap regardless of it being a cross-gen game.

And the DualSense is just immense. I love the increased size, and the shape of it. The improved haptics and adaptive triggers make a real difference. Can't go back to my Dualshock 4s now lol.

Don't have a PS5 yet, just an XSX and XSS.

OP got a question. So you're saying that PSVR get better visuals and frame rate boost on the PS5?
This is what has kept me from trying to get one sooner. I haven't heard that the PS5 improves VR games from the PS4.

Allandor

Just played Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday. My Series X was absolute silent and I could really enjoy the good audio of the game with my new atmos system.
Ok, the last xbox gen was already very quite but this ... even under load is a very good thing.

Markio128

You can’t beat that new console experience. I remember the initial anxiety I felt when I was waiting for my PS5 to be delivered, thinking I may get a box of rocks or something, or nothing at all because the Amazon delivery guy had nicked it - there were lots of horror stories at the time 😂

Even having owned a PS5 since day 1, the honeymoon period hasn’t ended because I still get a kick out of the dualsense - GTAV being the latest game to benefit; feeling the heartbeat of the poor dude in the infamous torture scene get faster and faster was an unwelcome treat however 😂

adamsapple

Just played Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday. My Series X was absolute silent and I could really enjoy the good audio of the game with my new atmos system.
Ok, the last xbox gen was already very quite but this ... even under load is a very good thing.

Oh yeah.

I have a PS4 Pro and Series X in the same room.

I ran the PS4 Pro after a while to play Horizon 2. And I forgot how loud that shit can get lol. Comparatively, I don't think I've heard any noise from the SX once since I bought it. No fan noise, no coil whine etc. There's some fantastic engineering going in in that monolithic slab.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Don't have a PS5 yet, just an XSX and XSS.

OP got a question. So you're saying that PSVR get better visuals and frame rate boost on the PS5?
This is what has kept me from trying to get one sooner. I haven't heard that the PS5 improves VR games from the PS4.
Gives it the PS4 Pro treatment and load times are improved.

There's a few games, at least 1, that have received a full-on PS5 update. Blood & Truth, or whatever it's called. I'm pretty sure that one did but I don't own it. Some others too I'm sure.

Biggest thing for me is having the PS4 Pro visuals in Skyrim VR, it still looks old but the clarity is a night and day difference, better draw distance too. RE7 gets a nice clarity bump as well. Astrobot Rescue Mission looks better too, levels are sharper, etc.

That was honestly one of the main reasons I got a PS5, I recently got PSVR and was looking at Pro prices and it was like, "what's the point? I should just get a PS5..."

Also, if you do get a PS5, be sure to punch in your PSVR serial # on the Sony website, they'll send you a free PS4 camera adapter. PS5 doesn't work natively with the PS4 camera.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Current gen is the best gen ❤️

Xbox Series S
The S is for silent, small and satisfying! Great console with a great form factor. Gamepass is a great complement to the disc free machine! Very capable and a great value for access to multiple generations of Microsoft's finest titles. Instant resume is a great idea and is very satisfying when it works/is supported.

PS5
Great improvements to the UI over PS4, especially with the party features. I regularly play while using the picture in picture of my friend's PS5 while playing online. The sound processing in this hardware is insane. Amazing quality audio that tops any other gaming hardware I've heard so far. Dual Sense is the real deal and will push controller haptics forward for the whole industry, in addition to adding great items like a built in mic and the cool triggers. Loading on actual current gen games is amazingly snappy.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I love them (and love the Switch Oled too!) I feel like this gen has knocked it out of the park really, the bringing of SSD's to console has been a game changer that finally made games feel snappy and instant again. Too long had we suffered with load times, now they are gone and things feel great again!

anothertech

Load times on all next gen consoles make it a game Changer for me. I mean, holy shit it's so noticeable.

Will never go back lol.

Got my ps5 digital for the cool price of $399. Felt like I won the lottery. I see the normal prices online right now and cry a little for the world.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

We have two PS5's,two XSX's and a XSS in our home.

Loving the AV capabilities of both of the big machines.

SSD,HDR,120fps(option)smart delivery,nicely built controller and the Atmos sound for both AVR's and Headsets on XSX.

Same as above for the PS5 minus Atmos although the 3D audio is no slouch (when supported) The AVR support is lacking and the controller operates nicely and feels great in the hand(wish the build quality would improve though)
I also like having SSD options.

We throughly enjoy both.

But am disappointed by the lack of many current gen games for either.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Series S is beautiful, silent and compact. Perfect if you own a 1080p display, and perfect if you just want a cheap machine to play native versions of Playground, Obsidian and Bethesda’s games.

PS5 DE is a brilliant machine. Quiet, powerful - I’m in love.

Not included in the title either OP but I just got a Switch OLED a couple of weeks back to complete the white trinity and my god it’s sleek and beautiful.

Best timeline for console gamers.

Top Bottom