• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 will support all kind of Nvme M.2 SSDs from type 2230 to 2280 ( maybe 22110?? )

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The bigger issue is how is the PS5 going to accommodate the SSD heatsinks that are all but required for high-speed nvme drives.
Ps5 is going to be pushing these drives hard, I expect throttling if they are not kept cool.

Maybe we'll see mods where the side panel is cut to allow large heatsinks to stick out a little.

I highly doubt the PS5 is going to pushing the SSD hard enough to require a heatsink. It's just running games. The kinds of workloads you see in SSD reviews that show temps going into the 80s are stress tests designed to push the SSD to its limits over prolonged periods of time. Video games don't do that.

Even if streaming in GBs of texture data at a time, you're still going to have your RAM as a buffer and the extra hardware dedicated to decompression and I/O to help out the SSD, so I don't think the SSD controller is going to get abused in a video game like it does in your average benchmark.

I still can't believe you have to take the thing apart to add more storage.

All you are doing is snapping a plastic shell off the top and unscrewing one cover, it's not that hard and you can add more than 1TB of storage, let's be real though how many people are going to be willing to spend over $220 for 1TB of storage when you can buy a 5TB external HDD for half that price and just swap games between that storage and the internal SSD?

I highly doubt the PS5 is going to pushing the SSD hard enough to require a heatsink. It's just running games. The kinds of workloads you see in SSD reviews that show temps going into the 80s are stress tests designed to push the SSD to its limits over prolonged periods of time. Video games don't do that.

Even if streaming in GBs of texture data at a time, you're still going to have your RAM as a buffer and the extra hardware dedicated to decompression and I/O to help out the SSD, so I don't think the SSD controller is going to get abused in a video game like it does in your average benchmark.
Really will be an unknown until people get their hands on a physical console

I would put money on the storage on the internal/the ssd controller and the expansion to all run hot

as we speak im feeling my external ssd drive as it installs the cod beta on my ps4 pro
and it’s pretty toasty....this external drive is rated for over a gb transfer but the USB ports on the pro only support up to 550 so I can imagine the Samsung nvme drive which runs at 7gb is going to be a roaster

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Yup. We're in semi-uncharted territory with this upcoming gen, and it's exciting.

as we speak im feeling my external ssd drive as it installs the cod beta on my ps4 pro
and it’s pretty toasty
That's a sustained load though. That's not really a typical experience for the average game.

MilkyJoe

All you are doing is snapping a plastic shell off the top and unscrewing one cover, it's not that hard and you can add more than 1TB of storage, let's be real though how many people are going to be willing to spend over $220 for 1TB of storage when you can buy a 5TB external HDD for half that price and just swap games between that storage and the internal SSD?

Exactly, USB3 moves about 600mb a second, got my 4TB external, move the game to internal, go take a piss, come back and press start.

Admerer

Just looked at some reviews of the Samsung 980 pro, and the temps didn't look too bad even without a heatsink.

Since the ps5 will be reading from the drive instead of writing to it (for the majority of the time) this should help keep temps in check.

Anyway, I just placed a pre-order for the 1tb Samsung 980 pro @ $229.
It should be compatible with the ps5, if not I'll toss it in my pc or return it (I have a feeling it will be hard to find around launch time).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Anyway, I just placed a pre-order for the 1tb Samsung 980 pro @ $229.
It should be compatible with the ps5, if not I'll toss it in my pc or return it (I have a feeling it will be hard to find around launch time).
What are you going to be doing on your PS5 that necessitates an extra TB of storage right out of the gate? I doubt you really need it, but get it if you feel like you need to or are going to put it in your PC anyway as a plan B.

Admerer

What are you going to be doing on your PS5 that necessitates an extra TB of storage right out of the gate? I doubt you really need it, but get it if you feel like you need to or are going to put it in your PC anyway as a plan B.
I work a lot of hours and therefore have limited game time.
I want to be able to have all my favorite games installed and accessable without have to move stuff around between external and internal drives.

What's the point of having "zero" load times in games if I have to wait while a game is being moved from the external storage drive to internal SSD? I don't have time for that.

The 650GB~ or so of the PS5 is too damn low, the ps4 launched with 500GB hdd how many years ago now?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So, during the PS5 teardown video i've noticed some holes and numbers in SSD slot. Looks like all kind of today's available Nvme M.2 SSDs will be supported by PS5. So, slowest 2230 SSDs are with speed around 2.5 GB/s - 1 GB/s. Maybe that's enough for PS4 games. Faster ones ( 2280 ) like 980 Pro for PS5 games. Anyway, here are the pictures :

EjvLxW_X0AEWgrb

EjvLvRQWkAAkeBf

JFlzhgL.png

Maybe Sony will give us official statement about this.

Wonderful move from Sony, as some might not use the expansion SSD to run games, but rather trasnfer in/out games that are not used in the main SSD. So you can go with a cheaper SSD NVMe m.2 but maybe 2TB or more in the future.

jonnyp

I believe it is because some early PCI-E 4.0 SSDs used a Phison controller that was really really hot requiring a heat sink.

That is not the case anymore with actual SSD Controllers.

Samsung 980 Pro doesn’t need heat sink.

Even if it came with a heatsink you probably wouldn't need it and the heat sink would likely just contribute to increased noise level. There will be lots of airflow through that SSD slot as it has its own air intake which is routed directly to the fan.

gspat

A quick look at the lovely heatsink seems to show it actually directs air at the drive slot. Cooling seems to be thought out and fine?

A bigger question (to me) is what is a priority level? PS5 one has 5 levels, regular drives have 2? is level one on PS5 the same as level on on standard drives? What about level 2? is level 2 just level 5 on the PS5 one? Anyone able to explain in plain english?

THE:MILKMAN

A quick look at the lovely heatsink seems to show it actually directs air at the drive slot. Cooling seems to be thought out and fine?

A bigger question (to me) is what is a priority level? PS5 one has 5 levels, regular drives have 2? is level one on PS5 the same as level on on standard drives? What about level 2? is level 2 just level 5 on the PS5 one? Anyone able to explain in plain english?

I guess it is a kind of queuing system and I think of it as async for I/O. Maybe that is too simplified, though?

Last edited:

scydrex

And the propriety Seagate is over 2/3 the price of a Series S. Which probably won't got down over for quite some time going by history in gaming, unless they don't sell well.

Exactly you get an Series S with 512gb sure they said games will be 30% smaller but buying the Series S and the SSD will put the console at $520... more expensive than the X. Yeah you will have 1.5tb SSD but for $20 less you get 1tb, 3x GPU, more RAM and faster. So i prefer to get the X or get the S and forget about the SSD.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Exactly you get an Series S with 512gb sure they said games will be 30% smaller but buying the Series S and the SSD will put the console at $520... more expensive than the X. Yeah you will have 1.5tb SSD but for $20 less you get 1tb, 3x GPU, more RAM and faster. So i prefer to get the X or get the S and forget about the SSD.

Series S is expensive as all hell if you want more than 10 "next gen" games on the roster.

John Wick

Because those are designed to be installed in a PC tower. Putting them in a small slot on the bottom of a game console could be bad for heat.
You do know that massive fan in the PS5 vents air throughout the whole system including where the SSD bay is?

Rayderism

The more I read about next-gen the more I'm convinced that the only thing it will really do better is soak up our money faster. Dinky little 1 or 2TB SSD's that cost as much or more than 8TB HDD's just aren't impressive to me, regardless of transfer speed differences. I need lots of space for my game hoarding ways.

Maybe I missed the memo, but I'm gonna need to be able to use standard HDD's as cold storage for PS5 games. Those SSD's just cost too much for too little space.

SilentUser

This is great news. Even though XBSX solution is way easier, PS5 solution is also simple and non-proprietary, which will help to bring the costs down. Kudos to Sony here.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Great effort by SONY this round, they're assuming gamers want to upgrade parts.

Yeah, who would want to add add storage via SSD. Silly. I mean, sliding open a casing, unscrewing a panel, inserting and screwing down an SSD, closing the panel and screwing it shut, then putting the panel back on the side. I mean, why not just build a whole PC if you're going to that level of effort. Backbreaking.

John Wick

I would put money on the storage on the internal/the ssd controller and the expansion to all run hot

and it’s pretty toasty....this external drive is rated for over a gb transfer but the USB ports on the pro only support up to 550 so I can imagine the Samsung nvme drive which runs at 7gb is going to be a roaster

See what I don't understand is why are you so concerned???
Don't you think this is something Samsung and Sony should worry about???
I mean it's not like Samsung and Sony won't have done stress tests while in development eh? Their engineers must have completely skipped that part?

MilkyJoe

This is getting silly, its no different than the OG PS4.

1. Pop off the plastic cover.

2. Unscrew the screw to access the expandable storage bay.

3. Put in expandable storage.

4. Close bay with screw.

5. Place the cover back on.

Every other electrical device

1. Slide it in the expansion slot

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
People keep saying this, but there's no venting inside the bay. It's completely enclosed:

It does look sealed; but it's hard to say really.. even a couple small vent holes would cause a lot of air to rush around it. Of course that could also cause dust buildup, which can obviously cause some thermal issues.

But I'm personally waiting for Sony either way to certify drives because.. well.. they told us to do that and not to expect them to release a list until next year. If they had time to test the 980 Pro for instance, they'd have told us as much. They only had early samples as of last February, and the hardware design would have been likely finalized by then so not like they could adjust anything if early drives don't work.

But laptops shove these things into tiny unventilated places all the time.. so I really doubt there will be problems.. I still don't understand the rush for people, what exactly are they going to be filling their PS5 drives with in November? lol

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
But laptops shove these things into tiny unventilated places all the time.. so I really doubt there will be problems.. I still don't understand the rush for people, what exactly are they going to be filling their PS5 drives with in November? lol

When Call of Duty can hit 200GB real quickly some people will be filling up that drive before long.

I can bet my ass it won't, sony makes the best NC headphones on the market which sounds league better than everything else even those have never been supported, it will be some strict proprietary bs like Microsoft im 100 percent sure of that

Three

I love the fact that it's xbox fans showing concern about not enough airflow for the SSD when their SSD is completely enclosed in plastic and has reports of getting hot yet they're in those other threads saying "but electronics are meant to be hot" then come here to show their concern for an aluminium enclosure for an SSD.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People keep saying this, but there's no venting inside the bay. It's completely enclosed:

EjvLxW_X0AEWgrb

You see those 2 notches on the left... that is where the fan will be pulling the heat out of them when both covers are on.

Some are trying way too hard.

Every other electrical device

1. Slide it in the expansion slot

Like laptops and PCs where covers have to come off, with screws? How often are you swapping them in and out?

We all about them proprietary memory cards now, eh? Vita am cry, should have just been made by MS. I am sure MS wants people to buy them like memory cards for that hot $wap, so I don't expect anything larger than 1TB for at least a year.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
The more I read about next-gen the more I'm convinced that the only thing it will really do better is soak up our money faster. Dinky little 1 or 2TB SSD's that cost as much or more than 8TB HDD's just aren't impressive to me, regardless of transfer speed differences. I need lots of space for my game hoarding ways.

Maybe I missed the memo, but I'm gonna need to be able to use standard HDD's as cold storage for PS5 games. Those SSD's just cost too much for too little space.

Cost's will come down once we get past this entry. Got to remember PCIE 4.0 hasn't been around long and it takes time to saturate the market with new NAND. Look at the prices for PCIE 3.0 m.2. You can buy one 1tb for $80.

So in a year or so you will be able to get 1tb for $130 or less .

MilkyJoe

You see those 2 notches on the left... that is where the fan will be pulling the heat out of through convection when both covers are on.

Some are trying way too hard.

Like laptops and PCs where covers have to come off, with screws? How often are you swapping them in and out?

We all about them proprietary memory cards now, eh? Vita am cry, should have just been made by MS. I am sure MS wants people to buy them like memory cards for that hot $wap, so I don't expect anything larger than 1TB for at least a year.
You not added SD to a phone or a laptop? Or a raspberry pie? Or a walkman? Not got an external drive on your xbox/PlayStation?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You not added SD to a phone or a laptop? Or a raspberry pie? Or a walkman? Not got an external drive on your xbox/PlayStation?

This is not an "SD," this is a SSD. SDs pale in speed compared to an SSD. Most who add storage, do it once in a lifetime of the machine. I think MS is banking on whales purchasing multiple, personally.

You can use external drives on both for BC or 1.5 minute transfers.

Last edited:

truth411

I'm saying why the fuck didn't they put the access outside 🙄
What electronic device has a NVME M.2 slot on the outside of a system? *Roll eyes*.
Its about as "Outside" as it possibly can be since all you do is snap the cover off and its right there.

Top Bottom