• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 will support all kind of Nvme M.2 SSDs from type 2230 to 2280 ( maybe 22110?? )

jimbojim

Banned
So, during the PS5 teardown video i've noticed some holes and numbers in SSD slot. Looks like all kind of today's available Nvme M.2 SSDs will be supported by PS5. So, slowest 2230 SSDs are with speed around 2.5 GB/s - 1 GB/s. Maybe that's enough for PS4 games. Faster ones ( 2280 ) like 980 Pro for PS5 games. Anyway, here are the pictures :

EjvLxW_X0AEWgrb

EjvLvRQWkAAkeBf

JFlzhgL.png

Maybe Sony will give us official statement about this.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
There is another pin in the pictures.
So maybe it really supports 110mm.

30, 60, 42 and 80 mm are 100%.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Experts:

What external SSDs are on the market - or are coming around launch day - that we can likely use with our shiny new Ps5s?

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Only the ones fast enough tho, otherwise I guess they'll work the same as an external drive, meaning you'll have to copy the games to the internal drive in order to play the next-gen games.

Experts:

What external SSDs are on the market - or are coming around launch day - that we can likely use with our shiny new Ps5s?

Samsung 980 Pro and Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus are a safe bet, both are slick without any heatsinks and both max out PCIE4 with 7Gbps read speeds.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

I'd say it would work with some games and others that require 5.5GB not, so it would be pointless having to figure out what games are going to work on your SSD.
I don't think Sony would allow SSDs that would work only in certain games (except if backwards games only). If certain PS5 games will require 5.5GB/s and nothing less, then they probably will lock everything under that for current gen games.

I just wonder if it might be actually possible to play any PS5 game using PCIe 4.0 NVMe with about 5GB/s. Losing a bit of performance but still being able to play with it.

LordOfChaos

Anyone else just feel a lot better about this after today? After all the hubbub about silent Sony, everything from today was meticulously thoughtful and I just feel like so will the rest be.

Is any Nvme M.2 under 5.5GB/s out of the picture for PS5 games? Is it confirmed?

Because NVMe has less priority lanes then them, they require more than their own 5.5GB/s speed for the expansion bay, they said 7GB/s for the m.2 slot, and will be providing a list of compatible drives soon after launch.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

you will most likely need one with around 7GB/s.
the PS5's internal SSD is a 5,5GB/s one, and they already said that you will need faster ones than that in order to cover the overhead of the internal one's access levels.
Damn... if that's accurate are there any of these available already? It seems Samsung's 980 PRO could handle it?

Admerer

The bigger issue is how is the PS5 going to accommodate the SSD heatsinks that are all but required for high-speed nvme drives.

LOLCats

Banned
The bigger issue is how is the PS5 going to accommodate the SSD heatsinks that are all but required for high-speed nvme drives.
Oh nm, you said all but required.

... but i also expect sony has some air blowing through there.

Last edited:

Admerer

Oh nm, you said all but required.

... but i also expect sony has some air blowing through there.

Ps5 is going to be pushing these drives hard, I expect throttling if they are not kept cool.

Maybe we'll see mods where the side panel is cut to allow large heatsinks to stick out a little.

Ulsterman

Neo Member
I don't think Sony would allow SSDs that would work only in certain games (except if backwards games only). If certain PS5 games will require 5.5GB/s and nothing less, then they probably will lock everything under that for current gen games.

I just wonder if it might be actually possible to play any PS5 game using PCIe 4.0 NVMe with about 5GB/s. Losing a bit of performance but still being able to play with it.

Sorry when I said wouldn't work I meant like your thinking it will work but not as intended. From the road to PS5 the way I took it was you'll be able to put whatever drive in as you want but don't expect to function as intended unless you buy one that Sony has given the certified to work with PS5.

LOLCats

Banned
Ps5 is going to be pushing these drives hard, I expect throttling if they are not kept cool.

Maybe we'll see mods where the side panel is cut to allow large heatsinks to stick out a little.
Ya, i thought i read that ssd read speed for PS5 storage were around 5.5GB/s and the top advertised speeds for the 980 pro were about 7.0GB/s. So there may be a little headroom there to run a bit cooler.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

This will no doubt be part of their performance testing for their compatibility list

Ya, i thought i read that ssd read speed for PS5 storage were around 5.5GB/s and the top advertised speeds for the 980 pro were about 7.0GB/s. So there may be a little headroom there to run a bit cooler.

The reason they need more than their own 5.5GB/s is because the NVMe protocol has less priority levels than their own internal solution, so to map for the loss in granularity they want more brute speed.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
Why are people going on about games not working with varying ssd read speeds on the two consoles?

i mean these are just PCs... your games dont stop working if you load them from a slower drive?...

developers will "tune" thier games to work in each console environment. Im not sure what all the fuss is about? theyre both going to be fast.

and if someone came to me and said which nvme for a gaming PC, a 3.5GB/s model or a 7.0GB/s model, id say you probably wont notice a difference, so get which ever.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The reason they need more than their own 5.5GB/s is because the NVMe protocol has less priority levels than their own internal solution, so to map for the loss in granularity they want more brute speed.

I still am a bit nervous what this entails and so I'm waiting to buy an extra drive until people start testing these things out.

If the default PS5 SSD performs better I'm not sure I'll ever actually add an internal; would probably just get a decent external and deal with swapping.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I didn’t even know that massive one existed, there can’t be much market for them. I figured the industry decided on 2280 for most and small ones existed for laptops.

Admerer

Ya, i thought i read ssd read speed for PS5 storage were around 5.5GB/s and the top advertised speeds for the 980 pro were about 7.0GB/s. So there may be a little headroom there to run a bit cooler.

Top rated speed isn't the only factor when looking at nvme ssd performance, my understanding is the PS5 ssd controller is much more aggressive compared to standard pc nvme drives.

LordOfChaos

I still am a bit nervous what this entails and so I'm waiting to buy an extra drive until people start testing these things out.

If the default PS5 SSD performs better I'm not sure I'll ever actually add an internal; would probably just get a decent external and deal with swapping.

They're going to be publishing their own performance tested compatibility lists, I'm sure it'll be fine. The reason for all this is ensuring the same performance from the external as the internal.

Aidah

Is any Nvme M.2 under 5.5GB/s out of the picture for PS5 games? Is it confirmed?
Wait for the compatible drives list from Sony. Plus drive makers will probably label their drives if they're compatible, since it'll help their sales.

Aidah

Why are people going on about games not working with varying ssd read speeds on the two consoles?

i mean these are just PCs... your games dont stop working if you load them from a slower drive?...

developers will "tune" thier games to work in each console environment. Im not sure what all the fuss is about? theyre both going to be fast.

and if someone came to me and said which nvme for a gaming PC, a 3.5GB/s model or a 7.0GB/s model, id say you probably wont notice a difference, so get which ever.
You won't notice a difference in games between those two speeds right now because the drives aren't being utilized. Even a SATA SSD isn't that much of a difference right now.

That's the point of RTX IO and bringing DirectStorage to PC, so you could actually utilize those drives, and for those speeds to make a difference.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Experts:

980 Pro fits all specs.

I don't think under 5.5GB/s will run PS5 games.

But I'm sure a lot of slower SSDs will be tested after launch.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Is it really required?
I don't see any in these:

samsung-980-pro-vs-sabrent-rocket-4-plus-1024x458.png

Well external is limited by USB 1.2GB/s I believe.

Because those are designed to be installed in a PC tower. Putting them in a small slot on the bottom of a game console could be bad for heat.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So, during the PS5 teardown video i've noticed some holes and numbers in SSD slot. Looks like all kind of today's available Nvme M.2 SSDs will be supported by PS5. So, slowest 2230 SSDs are with speed around 2.5 GB/s - 1 GB/s. Maybe that's enough for PS4 games. Faster ones ( 2280 ) like 980 Pro for PS5 games. Anyway, here are the pictures :

EjvLxW_X0AEWgrb

EjvLvRQWkAAkeBf

JFlzhgL.png

Maybe Sony will give us official statement about this.

If you zoom in, you can see the number 1 reflecting on the bolt and written on the board with 3 other numbers.

That is definitely 110.

Aidah

Is it really required?
I don't see any in these:

samsung-980-pro-vs-sabrent-rocket-4-plus-1024x458.png

The back of the 980 Pro.

samsung-ssd-980-pro-reverse.jpg

Well external is limited by USB 1.2GB/s I believe.

My mistake, I think it was just a typo.

By the way, do we know if the drive bay has any air going through it?

Oppoi

Because those are designed to be installed in a PC tower. Putting them in a small slot on the bottom of a game console could be bad for heat.

Do you think I could install one of those in the cramped slot behind my motherboard on my PC then? It would'nt have more space to breathe but it was designed that way. edit, do you really know what you're talking about?

Last edited:

GHG

That's no worse than being sat directly under (or above) a GPU that is dumping out a load of heat.

Heat-spreaders are built in to the Samsung and Sabrent drives.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Experts:

No offense, but why are some of you guys so obsessed with INSTANTLY installing an SSD into your PS5? Are you really gonna need more than 680GB of storage (or whatever ends up being usable) on day one?

Personally I'm pretty sure I'll be absolutely fine with just the included SSD for 2-3 years or so, and by that time there will be a lot more compatible options on the market, and they'll be a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

Oppoi

That's no worse than being sat directly under (or above) a GPU that is dumping out a load of heat.

Heat-spreaders are built in to the Samsung and Sabrent drives.

They're not designed to be mounted on top of an existing heatsink? *shocked*

Top Bottom