• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 will have BT 5.1 and Wi-Fi 6 802.11 AX standard

It isn't wrong, it's a fact backed by the specifications and real world tests. Which facts do you have to prove it's wrong?

With the factual data we posted in the thread, we know both this wired and wireless connections that PS5 will use will have a latency of around 1ms. We don't know exactly which will have better latency but in any case it won't matter because should be a difference of under 1ms, which is basically nothing: way less than a 60fps game frame, so players won't notice it.

With the old 2.4GHz wifi the latency difference was huge and wireless and it was very unstable. With 5.0GHz 802.11ac they made it way more stable and reduced it a lot but still was noticiable having 5ms. Now with wifi6 -and obviously using a wifi6 router- the latency difference between wired and wifi shouldn't be noticiabe in PS5 because the difference will be tiny and in both cases super small.
We don't know exactly which will have better latency
Ummm actually we do know. Physics have already determined which will be faster and less latency: wired

but in any case it won't matter because should be a difference of under 1ms,
Every millisecond counts though. That could be the difference between winning a race or coming in last place. You initially said
for the first time will be better wifi than using cable
Which is completely false.
which is basically nothing: way less than a 60fps game frame, so players won't notice it.
Ever play street fighter 4? It ran at 60fps. Any added latency could be the difference between getting a 1 frame link into a combo. It may not even cause much added latency, but why risk it, especially if the console is sitting ~12ft away like your example? Just hardwire, and not be "that guy" who ruins others experience in multiplayer gaming. Refusing to use a Ethernet cable because you "believe" wifi 6 is just as good as wired, is like someone complaining about wearing a seatbelt, "because there's an airbag in case of an accident"

yurinka

Ummm actually we do know. Physics have already determined which will be faster and less latency: wired
The facts I posted prove wifi 6 will be faster way than wired and both will have around 1ms of latency with a less than 1ms of difference. Nothing in physics prevent that from happening, none of all the facts say that wired in ps5 will be faster than over wifi 6, all the facts say the opposite. Stop lying and back your qoutes with facts.

Which is completely false.
What I say it's backed by the facts from the hardware specs and real world comparision tests. So it's completely true. Your opinion is what is completely false because it's opposite to the facts and isn't backed with factual data.

Ever play street fighter 4? It ran at 60fps. Any added latency could be the difference between getting a 1 frame link into a combo. It may not even cause much added latency, but why risk it, especially if the console is sitting ~12ft away like your example? Just hardwire, and not be "that guy" who ruins others experience in multiplayer gaming. Refusing to use a Ethernet cable because you "believe" wifi 6 is just as good as wired, is like someone complaining about wearing a seatbelt, "because there's an airbag in case of an accident"
Yes, I'm a big SF/Capcom fighting games fan and played all since the SF1 in the arcades and 8 bit computers. I'm also a former Ubisoft gamedev who did work on online multiplayer games over mobile network and now I' working on a indie fighting game (beat'em up) and also working on a state of art custom arcade stick with the best input lag in the market according to the benchmarks (thanks to a Brook UFB board and Sanwa components). I also watch input lag comparisions of tvs or controllers from time to time.

I know how important latency is, and know that a difference of less than 1ms between 2 transfer methods is tiny and that to have ~1ms of latency for network is great. Back in the SFIV days the difference between wired and network was huge, over 10ms in latency, now it will be basically impossible to notice for players because the console, the controller, the tv and specially the distance between players will be adding way more latency than the local area network because in both wired and wireless cases will be around 1ms and less than a 1ms of difference between time.

In a 60fps like SF each frame is drawn during 16.67ms. Less than 1ms is a small portion of a frame, and there are other things which add way more input lag. 2020 tvs may range between 11ms and over 100ms (and more in case of older tvs) and controllers add some extra ~1-24ms on top of that, and then we have additional lag from the distance betwen players, normally (the window is wider but these are the common cases) it's somewhere between 30 and 200ms for fighting games. So without considering the input lag coming from other console hardware/OS/firmware/drivers/game engine/game code, today in 2020 the combined input lag of a PS3/PS4 controller+a 2020 tv+distance between players is around 42 (~3 frames) to over 324ms (~20 frames).

Wired and wifi 6 will add around 1ms due to local area network latency, and will have a diffence of less than 1ms between them. So the difference won't be important specially compared to the huge differences that we have in base PS4 when comparing wifi vs ethernet (can be over 10ms, more than half a frame). This is why wifi6 is so important: according to Harada most players play fighting games using wifi, so this means that if 2 players were playing online using wifi in the best selling platform by far (base PS4), there was around 20+ms of the combined LAN latency of both players. In PS5, thanks to wifi6 if both players use wifi -using a wifi6 router- the combined LAN latency will be of ~2ms. This means saving more than a frame of input lag and without considering other benefits like higher speed on wifi 6, longer range, better handling of other connected devices, etc.

You mention the 1 frame links. As you may have noticed, in more recent games they are being less strict and going with thinks like 3 frames or more stuff. The idea behind that is that 1frame links were ok for local games, but too fast for online matches due to latency. Making the fastest links 3 frames give to the game and communication between players more time to detect or rollback the inputs.

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
Wireless internet (4G/5G) is limited here (Oman), but Dial Up then ADSL and now Fiber all of the are unlimited since more that a decade or two. So is the wired internet (ADSL/Fiber) limited in some countries? If so, that's strange, but probably due to overwhelming population.

Yes like anywhere civilised in the world, except in dumbistan (the USA)

MrFunSocks

Banned
As anyone that has ever used anything network related you should know that theoretical speed is not real world speed. Wifi is not a stable perfect connection like wired is either. Wifi 6 also requires expensive new routers, so again, anyone that knows enough about this to care what wifi 6 is knowA that wired will be better. Not to mention the fact that most peoples internet connections aren’t even remotely close to being capped by an Ethernet cable. Speed from the router has never been the issue.

This is the very definition of fanboys trying to cling to a meaningless metric for console warring. It’s embarrassing.

diffusionx

Gold Member
As anyone that has ever used anything network related you should know that theoretical speed is not real world speed. Wifi is not a stable perfect connection like wired is either. Wifi 6 also requires expensive new routers, so again, anyone that knows enough about this to care what wifi 6 is knowA that wired will be better. Not to mention the fact that most peoples internet connections aren’t even remotely close to being capped by an Ethernet cable. Speed from the router has never been the issue.

This is the very definition of fanboys trying to cling to a meaningless metric for console warring. It’s embarrassing.

To be fair, it is nice to see a new console coming out that isn't using extremely dated protocols, like the PS4.

The facts I posted prove wifi 6 will be faster way than wired and both will have around 1ms of latency with a less than 1ms of difference. Nothing in physics prevent that from happening, none of all the facts say that wired in ps5 will be faster than over wifi 6, all the facts say the opposite. Stop lying and back your qoutes with facts.

What I say it's backed by the facts from the hardware specs and real world comparision tests. So it's completely true. Your opinion is what is completely false because it's opposite to the facts and isn't backed with factual data.

Yes, I'm a big SF/Capcom fighting games fan and played all since the SF1 in the arcades and 8 bit computers. I'm also a former Ubisoft gamedev who did work on online multiplayer games over mobile network and now I' working on a indie fighting game (beat'em up) and also working on a state of art custom arcade stick with the best input lag in the market according to the benchmarks (thanks to a Brook UFB board and Sanwa components). I also watch input lag comparisions of tvs or controllers from time to time.

I know how important latency is, and know that a difference of less than 1ms between 2 transfer methods is tiny and that to have ~1ms of latency for network is great. Back in the SFIV days the difference between wired and network was huge, over 10ms in latency, now it will be basically impossible to notice for players because the console, the controller, the tv and specially the distance between players will be adding way more latency than the local area network because in both wired and wireless cases will be around 1ms and less than a 1ms of difference between time.

In a 60fps like SF each frame is drawn during 16.67ms. Less than 1ms is a small portion of a frame, and there are other things which add way more input lag. 2020 tvs may range between 11ms and over 100ms (and more in case of older tvs) and controllers add some extra ~1-24ms on top of that, and then we have additional lag from the distance betwen players, normally (the window is wider but these are the common cases) it's somewhere between 30 and 200ms for fighting games. So without considering the input lag coming from other console hardware/OS/firmware/drivers/game engine/game code, today in 2020 the combined input lag of a PS3/PS4 controller+a 2020 tv+distance between players is around 42 (~3 frames) to over 324ms (~20 frames).

Wired and wifi 6 will add around 1ms due to local area network latency, and will have a diffence of less than 1ms between them. So the difference won't be important specially compared to the huge differences that we have in base PS4 when comparing wifi vs ethernet (can be over 10ms, more than half a frame). This is why wifi6 is so important: according to Harada most players play fighting games using wifi, so this means that if 2 players were playing online using wifi in the best selling platform by far (base PS4), there was around 20+ms of the combined LAN latency of both players. In PS5, thanks to wifi6 if both players use wifi -using a wifi6 router- the combined LAN latency will be of ~2ms. This means saving more than a frame of input lag and without considering other benefits like higher speed on wifi 6, longer range, better handling of other connected devices, etc.

You mention the 1 frame links. As you may have noticed, in more recent games they are being less strict and going with thinks like 3 frames or more stuff. The idea behind that is that 1frame links were ok for local games, but too fast for online matches due to latency. Making the fastest links 3 frames give to the game and communication between players more time to detect or rollback the inputs.
Please provide one instance where latency is lower than a wired connection. I keep asking for this, and yet no proof, examples, or even theories. I'm not sure what the link speed is for the ps5, and I don't care honestly. But even if it's 1gbps, it'll still have less latency than wifi 6. Until you finally accept the truth, you'll continue to be wrong in this instance. Where are the facts? It seems you just want to be correct in this argument, and pride isn't allowing you to admit it.

Facts! Even in my first posts I said that I don't care if it's Xbox SX, Ps5, or even PC, DON'T USE WIFI UNLESS YOU HAVE TO. The guy goes through hoops and bounds to try to make a point, without making any. I'm just asking for one thing, proof/examples. Even one of his own posts proved him wrong by admitting wired connection won't suffer as much latency as wireless.

Last edited:

alstrike

This is fucking rich coming from you mate, and you dare to use the word embarrassing.

FUCKING LOL

MrFunSocks

Banned
This is fucking rich coming from you mate, and you dare to use the word embarrassing.

FUCKING LOL
People in here are trumpeting that a console has a new wifi standard and the other might not. That's embarrassing.

Glad I've made an impression on you though. I have no idea who you are nor do I care. If you can't add anything to the conversation, don't just throw crap in to it just to feel big.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
People in here are trumpeting that a console has a new wifi standard and the other might not. That's embarrassing.

Glad I've made an impression on you though. I have no idea who you are nor do I care. If you can't add anything to the conversation, don't just throw crap in to it just to feel big.
You did not add nothing instead the same mimimi console war lol

WiFi 6 have similar latency to wired and in most cases better speeds (it is only below Gigabit Ethernet) and that is unrelated to which console has or not it.

You can’t change that based in your console bias.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned

WiFi 6 have similar latency to wired and in most cases better speeds (it is only below Gigabit Ethernet) and that is unrelated to which console has or not it.

Just because I disagree with your assessment doesn't mean I'm adding nothing. I pointed out that wifi 6 needs expensive new hardware, which most people aren't going to buy, and that people that even know it would require that hardware and care about such things would also understand that wired is the best possible connection you can get, so won't be using wifi anyway. I also pointed out that most people aren't speed limited by ethernet or wifi, so wifi 6 having more speed is irrelevant.

This is like bragging that one controller has a wireless range of 50m vs the others wired 40m - both are more than needed, both are irrelevant, and the wireless one still won't be better than the wired one.

You keep flip flopping between "similar latency to wired" and "better in every way than wired". People keep calling you out for it and you just keep flip flopping.

I could not give a shit about console wars, I own more playstation consoles and games than probably 90% of the playstation fanboys in here. I've been a day 1 buyer of literally every PS console including handhelds up until the PS4. Wifi 6 is nothing to be used on fanboy listwars.

Real life tests don't lie. Imagine only being 30 feet away, and speeds are reduced by half?! I'm on the other side of my house, on a different floor, and my speeds are consistent as if I was right next to it. Wanna know why? Because I'm wired, and wired is better than wireless.

VX5uhSY.png

jn8sEn6.png

ethomaz

Banned
Just because I disagree with your assessment doesn't mean I'm adding nothing. I pointed out that wifi 6 needs expensive new hardware, which most people aren't going to buy, and that people that even know it would require that hardware and care about such things would also understand that wired is the best possible connection you can get, so won't be using wifi anyway. I also pointed out that most people aren't speed limited by ethernet or wifi, so wifi 6 having more speed is irrelevant.

This is like bragging that one controller has a wireless range of 50m vs the others wired 40m - both are more than needed, both are irrelevant, and the wireless one still won't be better than the wired one.

You keep flip flopping between "similar latency to wired" and "better in every way than wired". People keep calling you out for it and you just keep flip flopping.

I could not give a shit about console wars, I own more playstation consoles and games than probably 90% of the playstation fanboys in here. I've been a day 1 buyer of literally every PS console including handhelds up until the PS4. Wifi 6 is nothing to be used on fanboy listwars.
Who is bragging? Lol

What you said is half true... it is expensive yes like every new tech... but it delivers similar experience to wired if not better in some cases.

You don’t give shut about console wars but come here to do console wars lol

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Who is bragging? Lol

What you said is half true... it is expensive yes like every new tech... but it delivers similar experience to wired if not better in some cases.

You don’t give shut about console wars but come here to do console wars lol
When will it give a better experience than wired?

JTCx

Dont fret bruh, Phil contacted me the other day and said there's a XSX day one patch with wifi7. Stay strong brethren. :messenger_bicep:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
But do you have a ps5? Wifi 6 isn't as good as wired, RIGHT NOW. Just wait till ps5 releases so the wifi 6ecret sauce can kick in, to prove its superiority!

/s

PS5 is going to use it better all my other Ax and Ac devices :messenger_tears_of_joy:

People setting themselves up for disapoiment, you really won’t see a diffrence in real life it’s so minor.

Last edited:

Warnen

Only way I could see it being noticeably better then AC Wi-Fi is if you only have 5 or so devices all huddled around the router closer then 6 feet. No one lives like that. I have 30+ devices all on Wi-Fi across nearly 3000 sqf. Router was worth every penny but at the device lvl its negligible.

In some cases right now lol
You can buy it for your home.

wFf57ix.jpg

Can you please explain how it will be better than wired? What secret sauces did I miss out on in physics class or Sony PR. All the tests I've seen, have stated otherwise. I feel I'm going to go crazy if I have to ask one more time.

ethomaz

Banned
Only way I could see it being noticeably better then AC Wi-Fi is if you only have 5 or so devices all huddled around the router closer then 6 feet. No one lives like that. I have 30+ devices all on Wi-Fi across nearly 3000 sqf. Router was worth every penny but at the device lvl its negligible.
But that where AX WiFi do even better compared with AC... when you have a lot of devices connected.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
In some cases right now lol
You can buy it for your home.

I mean the product already exists it is not something “when” lol
Ok I'll ask the exact same question for the third time.

Give me an actual example of when using wifi 6 will give you a better experience on the PS5 or Series X than having it wired.

I look forward to your next dodge.

Last edited:

Warnen

But that where AX WiFi do even better compared with AC... when you have crowed devices.

it doesn’t, that’s what I’m saying it works best like right next to router get into normal use case and it’s barely noticeable. If I was in the range where it was better I’d be close enough to run a wire and it be even better.

MrFunSocks

Banned
In some cases it is already better.
The product was exists in the market.

There is no “when”.
sigh....4th time:

Give me an actual example of when using wifi 6 will give you a better experience on the PS5 or Series X than having it wired.

Since you say in some cases it is already better, GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE OF ONE OF THOSE CASES.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
it doesn’t, that’s what I’m saying it works best like right next to router get into normal use case and it’s barely noticeable. If I was in the range where it was better I’d be close enough to run a wire and it be even better.
That is weird because it is not how it works.
Are you using 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz because 5Ghz has lower range.

At same range AX is significantly better than AC.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
sigh....4th time:

Since you say in some cases it is already better, GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE OF ONE OF THOSE CASES.
For example in the same room it will give you same latency with better speed than most wired cables... you will need a Gigabit setup to have better speeds wired.

There is no “when”... it is already in people homes.

It is not something being planned.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
For example in the same room it will give you same latency with better speed than most wired cables... you will need a Gigabit setup to have better speeds wired.

There is no “when”... it is already in people homes.

It is not something being planned.
Ok so you believe that wifi 6 is *better* than wired when both are in the same room? Despite in this same thread even admitting that its not the same latency? Despite the fact that wifi isn't as stable as a 100% stable wired connection? Despite the fact that pretty much everyone has a gigabit setup?

Your sidestepping the question is making it painfully obvious to everyone in this thread that you are drinking the kool-aid.

Wired will be better every. single. time. It's not even up for debate.

Hezekiah

Banned
You mean the down playing of a wired connection lol. I am sure that wireless connection going though 2 floors and 3 walls of plaster will totally be the same as wired lol. Getting the newest wireless is great but a wired connection is always best it is more consistent and stable with out drop outs.
But not as practical, and I'm fairly the certain the majority of gamers use a wireless connection. Even more reason to do so with the latest standard.

ethomaz

Banned
Ok so you believe that wifi 6 is *better* than wired when both are in the same room? Despite in this same thread even admitting that its not the same latency? Despite the fact that wifi isn't as stable as a 100% stable wired connection? Despite the fact that pretty much everyone has a gigabit setup?

Your sidestepping the question is making it painfully obvious to everyone in this thread that you are drinking the kool-aid.

Wired will be better every. single. time. It's not even up for debate.
What you believe is not true.
Like I said since beginning to you WIFi 6 have similar latency and in some cases better speeds than wired.
That is true.

But keep the downplaying due some biased console war lol

If you go in fact most gamers uses wireless connection over wired even with the shit PS4 adapter.

Last edited:

Warnen

That is weird because it is not how it works.
Are you using 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz because 5Ghz has lower range.

At same range AX is significantly better than AC.

So you have a Wi-Fi 6 router? 2 laptops one with ax Wi-Fi and one with ac Wi-Fi both sitting right next to each other and getting dam near identical test results. Or how about 2 iPad pros with ac Wi-Fi vs 2 iPhones with ax Wi-Fi, getting near the same results as well?

yesh I’m use 5ghz, had a 2.4ghz mesh system and it sucked in this house. The 5ghz cover everything.

its only gets better when you get super close to the router, if you have to be that close just use the cable and it will be even better. IE I plug my laptop in when downloading a big game it’s faster then sitting it right next the the router.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
What you believe is not true.
Like I said since beginning to you WIFi 6 have similar latency and in some cases better speeds than wired.
That is true.

But keep the downplaying due some biased console war lol

If you go in fact most gamers uses wireless connection over wired even with the shit PS4 adapter.
Similar is not better, neither is the stability of wifi compared to wired, and speed is not an issue since no console is maxing out gigabit Ethernet.

So you have no real world situations in which wifi is better than wired. Glad we finally got there.

Like I said, I wouldn’t care if consoles didn’t even have wifi at all. I do not and will not use it.

ethomaz

Banned
So you have a Wi-Fi 6 router? 2 laptops one with ax Wi-Fi and one with ac Wi-Fi both sitting right next to each other and getting dam near identical test results. Or how about 2 iPad pros with ac Wi-Fi vs 2 iPhones with ax Wi-Fi, getting near the same results as well?

yesh I’m use 5ghz, had a 2.4ghz mesh system and it sucked in this house. The 5ghz cover everything.

its only gets better when you get super close to the router, if you have to be that close just use the cable and it will be even better. IE I plug my laptop in when downloading a big game it’s faster then sitting it right next the the router.
There is something weird because every single test shows at the same range WiFi AX have significant better performance than WiFi AC.

images

It is better than AC in any range... the AC will even lost signal before AX.

Last edited:

Redlight

You need.
You will ohhhh you can connect your modem directly that breaks the goal of a network in your home.

Or maybe you will change the cable to your notebook when you need it or to your TV when you need it... and back to PS5 when you will play games lol

That is fine so make a proper comparison saying the use of a router for Ethernet is cheaper than for WiFi 6 (that new hot tech that is indeed expensive today).

Router x Cable? WTF? People in denial keep creating nonsense comparisons.

Let's just clear something up.

It's great that Sony are offering Wifi 6, it's better than the wifi on Series X. It'll be especially great if they can offer wireless VR down the track.

However, in normal gaming terms, you're still better off with a boring old ethernet cable plugged into the back of the box. That's the key point people are trying to make.

Warnen

There is something weird because every single test shows at the same range WiFi AX have significant better performance than WiFi AC.

images

It is better than AC in any range... the AC will even lost signal before AX.

Even this shows it’s much better wired. I listed my results earlier in this thread, 2 lapops right next to each other Ac was a it slower but still over 700 down and only 1ms higher ping then the ax laptop.

ethomaz

Banned
Even this shows it’s much better wired. I listed my results earlier in this thread, 2 lapops right next to each other Ac was a it slower but still over 700 down and only 1ms higher ping then the ax laptop.
I understood now you are using different adapters for the test... the pic I showed you can see different hardware have different performance... that is why the guy choose to use the same router and device to test AC and AX.

Can you make tests with the AX notebook connecting in AC mode for better results?

That is not just WiFi Adapters... wired adapters have different performance like Realtek vs Killer.

Last edited:

Warnen

I understood now you are using different adapters for the test... the pic I showed you can see different hardware have different performance... that is why the guy choose to use the same router and device to test AC and AX.

Can you make tests with the AX notebook connecting in AC mode for better results?

no I’m not removing the Wi-Fi cards and swapping them on the laptops.

Hezekiah

Banned
Let's just clear something up.

It's great that Sony are offering Wifi 6, it's better than the wifi on Series X. It'll be especially great if they can offer wireless VR down the track.

However, in normal gaming terms, you're still better off with a boring old ethernet cable plugged into the back of the box. That's the key point people are trying to make.
I think the key point is you have the option of similar performance whichever way you decide to go.

And that's definitely a great thing when apparently so much of the market can't/doesn't use a wired connection.

All upside, no downside.

ethomaz

Banned
no I’m not removing the Wi-Fi cards and swapping them on the laptops.
What?
That is what you can’t do for tests... you need to use the same adapter.
Your AX adapter can connect in AC mode.

If you want a easy way configure on your router two SID... one AC and another AX... using the same notebook/AX adapter do the tests connecting in one SID per time.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

That is not just WiFi Adapters... wired adapters have different performance like Realtek vs Killer.

Brother, only an ignorant would state that wifi6 is not a big deal. You've done a great job explaining the tech, just don't waste your time with trolls.

ethomaz

Banned
Brother, only an ignorant would state that wifi6 is not a big deal. You've done a great job explaining the tech, just don't waste your time with trolls.
Maybe in some years people will start to realize wired becoming more and more obsolete due WiFi catching it in performance.
It is not there yet but it is a really needed big jump for that happen.

And WiFi 6 is not the end... they are already working in better performance for next standard.

For me is all good because I will finally get out from these blue cables on my living room.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I don't consider myself a troll, and I cannot speak on behalf of the others commenting in here, but I strongly do not believe they are trolling. As matter a fact, we have all been asking the same thing.

You can't just say car #1 is better than car #2, without explaining or showing how/why.

No one said wifi 6 isn't a big deal. I even mentioned that it is a good thing that technology is getting better. The problem I had was with posters claiming wifi 6 is better than wired. Which simply is not true. Myself and others have shown and explained why wireless will never be better than wired. It's not even debatable. Several posters use the term "similar" to describe the differences, but cannot come to terms that close =/= same or better. Obviously one is the better option, and the other is not. And that's not too say one is shit and the other is amazing.

longdi

Banned
Ethomaz, just buy your wifi6 router and enjoy it
Otherwise most of us here will use lan cable and/or be happy with our isp router providing wifi signals.

Im on dfs bandwidth, it works well enough. I route a 3m lan cable to my pc. 🤷‍♀️

Top Bottom