• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Console Has The Best 2021 Exclusive Games?

PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Console Has The Best 2021 Exclusive Games?

• Xbox

Votes: 217 34.1%
  • PlayStation

Votes: 373 58.6%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 46 7.2%

• Total voters

RoboFu

One of the green rats
PSO2 New Genesis is awesome! I hope PS5 gets it outside of Japan with cross play tto buid the player base.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Seems like a shoe in for the PS5 so far, but we will get a clearer picture for the rest of the year after the PSX event. Aside from Horizon 5 there's nothing on Xbox that provokes FOMO, as there will be no shortage of big time multiplayer games coming out, like Battlefield.

MikeM

This is purely subjective as it depends on one's tastes. Unless someone compiles metacritic ratings, this won't be objective.

From my personal tastes and perspective, Sony is the hands down winner (taking into account released and upcoming 2021 releases). I don't think MS has any Series- exclusive games out yet (correct me if I am wrong).

John Wick

A totally pointless list. If those games release in 2021. Any of those games could be delayed. So far obviously PS has released exclusives with Returnal and Ratchet. Best to wait and see what makes it out the door. FH5 looks a sure bet but Halo and HFW could slip.

GHG

Gold Member
What I'm interested in playing (or have already played) off that list:

• Deathloop
  • Death Stranding: Director’s Cut
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Intergrade
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits
  • Oddworld Soulstorm
  • Ratchet And Clank: Rift Apart
  • Returnal

• Forza Horizon 5
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • The Ascent
  • Tunic
  • Twelve Minutes
  • Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy
I have Kena pre-ordered on PC and will play all of the Xbox titles on PC.

Age Of Empires IV is also missing from the list which I will also get.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Current line, Sony. Long term of these games, xbox. Sony will always win short term games, which is what their games are. On other hand, Microsoft games are long term. So they win in that regard.

Once I am done with ratchet or hfw, its done. Unless there is a dlc.

For xbox there is halo and forzs horizon 5. Both of these games are a long term games, which people will continue to play them.

In that regard, its easy to say that Sony wins short experience games. While xbox wins long experience.

God of war 2018 and spiderman 2018 are dead, because people got their enjoyment out of it. Unless you want to experience it in 4k, there is no reply value. But not halo 5, forza horizon 4, sea of thieves and gears of war. Those are being supported, and have value in it.

Spiderman is done, unless you really need platinum. Gears of war has that multiplayer, which makes the game alive more.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
2021 will be 1 exclusive each for me - Halo Infinite for Xbox Series and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Other games that im interested in such as The Ascent and Kena are as far as I know timed console exclusives aka multi-platform games.

In general, I believe that the first half of 2021 belongs to PlayStation 5 while the second half of 2021 will belong to Xbox Series. This only changes if Horizon II: Forbidden West releases this year which I highly doubt and not expecting it until February 2022.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Current line, Sony. Long term of these games, xbox.

Spiderman is done, unless you really need platinum. Gears of war has that multiplayer, which makes the game alive more.

I can't get those Sony style single player games on Xbox, but there's no shortage of multiplayer games on PlayStation. The whole industry is flooded with multiplayer, and Halo/Gears are rather low in the picking order which makes it very easy to skip them.

Kholinar

Banned
RDR 2 isn’t innovative either, and merely perfects the typical open world formula that Rockstar and other companies have already established.
How reductive. That's like saying every good novel is 'merely' a perfection of The Hero's Journey or its many variations that other writers have already established. RDR2's masterful blend of story, gameplay, open-world design, music - everything down to the minutia has a wellspring of thought and detail attached to them in a manner and quality that has never been replicated before, which, by definiton, is innovation. Forza has been the same game for years, and if it didn't get a GOTY years ago, it ain't gonna get it now.
Who says those are the only types of games that should be considered for GOTY? A game that has tight, refined, satisfying gameplay and is well balanced like Forza or Halo might never be considered for GOTY but I’ll easily put 300 hours plus in to them.
Fun isn't the only metric of a GOTY. Sounds crazy, but it's true. Same thing for movies; how much fun you have watching a movie isn't the only reason why they should be considered the greatest, else Marvel movies would continuously win every movie award. There needs to be a takeaway, a transfer of emotion, things to unpack. Thematic, artistic, and emotional depth - that sort of stuff. I can play Warzone for hours on end more than I can play God of War, so I guess the former can be considered more 'fun,' but I wouldn't consider Warzone a title in and of itself worthy of GOTY. I just shoot heads and it's cool, but it doesn't steal my thoughts for weeks or beg me to ponder over it. Like, is Candy Crush the best game of all time because you can play it ad infinitum and still be raring for more?

Who or what decides what’s on the GOTY lists? It can’t be Metacritic scores or user reviews, or else Ghost of Tsushima and TLoU 2 would be no where near any of the shortlists. It’s possibly the oddest omission I can remember.
Lmao, who knows? Sometimes oversights happen. Ori wasn't exactly high-key. I'm sure there are tons of indies sitting on Steam released in 2020 that are sleeper 10/10s, but they never get picked either.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
How reductive. That's like saying
Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show

Banjo64

cumsessed
Allow me to finish the sentence though;

Forza Horizon is just a racing game that doesn't do anything particularly innovative. Sure, the developers have essentially perfected its formula.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I look at the list and 99% of what I see is multiplatform (PC also) titles, many not even confirmed to launch this year... This poll would've made more sense on January 2021 once the year is actually over. The only real heavy hitters I see on the lists tho are HFW, Halo and FH5, so I'd give it to MS, 2 of their flagship IPs available within first year, those games will be massive, hugely successful whether someone likes it or not, while HFW is still not even guaranteed to land in 2021.
so horizon won't count either as that will come out on pc like the first one?

ZywyPL

Banned
so horizon won't count either as that will come out on pc like the first one?

Not happening this year. I was talking nore about games like Kene, The Ascent etc. non-1st party titles that are just timed exclusives on consoles but available day one on PC.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Not happening this year. I was talking nore about games like Kene, The Ascent etc. non-1st party titles that are just timed exclusives on consoles but available day one on PC.

but we know its gonna happen so its still gonna be on another platform

Helghan

Today PS, but let's wait until the end of the year. There are some possible GOTY contenders coming for Xbox later in the year.

Kholinar

Banned
Allow me to finish the sentence though;

Forza Horizon is just a racing game that doesn't do anything particularly innovative. Sure, the developers have essentially perfected its formula.
Nah, I was totally on the mark there. There's nothing Forza does that screams, 'WOW! GOTY material!' It's just a racing game, dude. It does what it sets out to do. It's the same game every year, only with a couple new features and a different map. If there was one moment that affirmed to me that RDR2 was GOTY material, it would be Arthur's death. If I asked you for Forza, lemme guess, that time you drove down the same dirt road that you've already passed like 69 times? There's no depth or autership to Forza; it doesn't try to push the envelope or evolve the medium in any way.

If I'm tryna' convince Tarantino that those 'silly ol' video games' is an art form, Forza isn't gonna disprove that notion, only embolden it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Banjo64

cumsessed
How reductive. That's like saying every good novel is 'merely' a perfection of The Hero's Journey or its many variations that other writers have already established. RDR2's masterful blend of story, gameplay, open-world design, music - everything down to the minutia has a wellspring of thought and detail attached to them in a manner and quality that has never been replicated before, which, by definiton, is innovation. Forza has been the same game for years, and if it didn't get a GOTY years ago, it ain't gonna get it now.

Fun isn't the only metric of a GOTY. Sounds crazy, but it's true. Same thing for movies; how much fun you have watching a movie isn't the only reason why they should be considered the greatest, else Marvel movies would continuously win every movie award. There needs to be a takeaway, a transfer of emotion, things to unpack. Thematic, artistic, and emotional depth - that sort of stuff. I can play Warzone for hours on end more than I can play God of War, so I guess the former can be considered more 'fun,' but I wouldn't consider Warzone a title in and of itself worthy of GOTY. I just shoot heads and it's cool, but it doesn't steal my thoughts for weeks or beg me to ponder over it. Like, is Candy Crush the best game of all time because you can play it ad infinitum and still be raring for more?

Lmao, who knows? Sometimes oversights happen. Ori wasn't exactly high-key. I'm sure there are tons of indies sitting on Steam released in 2020 that are sleeper 10/10s, but they never get picked either.
Nah, I was totally on the mark there. There's nothing Forza does that screams, 'WOW! GOTY material!' It's just a racing game, dude. It does what it sets out to do. It's the same game every year, only with a couple new features and a different map. If there was one moment that affirmed to me that RDR2 was GOTY material, it would be Arthur's death. If I asked you for Forza, lemme guess, that time you drove down the same dirt road that you've already passed like 69 times? There's no depth or autership to Forza; it doesn't try to push the envelope or evolve the medium in any way.

If I'm tryna' convince Tarantino that those 'silly ol' video games' is an art form, Forza isn't gonna disprove that notion, only embolden it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

kermit-typing-gif-9.gif

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

I would agree if this would be about Forza Motorsport, but Horizon? Nah. Those are great games, for me past 2 were definitely GOTY material.

Gediminas

Banned
another shit topic. the creator wrote the list of games for PS5 as little as possible(even that there is probably twice or triple as much games coming) and wrote as bigger list as possible for xbox.
again, topic with no proper research.

verdict : 🤡

Caio

I mostly do care about Ratchet, Horizon, Forza Horizon5 and probably Halo Infinite. For me it's fifty fifty.
I just need to buy a PS5 and XSX :D

• Strength
Reactions: Isa
Halo infinite is less of a sequel then Horizon is, going from a level based game to a open world setting is a totally different style of game. Its like what the last god of war did. Just stop its embarrassing.

Thank you for proving my point lmao. You make some of the dumbest posts on this board

Imagine comparing it to the GoW Reboot, which completely changed the core gameplay

No one watched the Halo Infinite demo and thought "Wow, this looks completely different. They thought "Yup, looks like Halo".

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Thank you for proving my point lmao. You make some of the dumbest posts on this board

Imagine comparing it to the GoW Reboot, which completely changed the core gameplay

No one watched the Halo Infinite demo and thought "Wow, this looks completely different. They thought "Yup, looks like Halo".
Imagine saying a game isn't a sequel when it is, you might be the cringest poster to dodge a perma left, cheers to that at least.

Tomeru

Op forgot bloodborne remaster so..... And dont start with this "its a ps4 game" shit. There are lotsa pc games on them list.

LostDonkey

Isn't Kena coming to Xbox? I could have sworn they said it was timed.

Forza Horizon 5 for me on Xbox.

I've already got Rift Apart and it's brilliant.

Just those two out of that list really.

If I was to pick which had the best though, If have to say Xbox/Forza because it's my favourite out of all listed. If GT7 was out this year it might have swayed me.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I would vote for M because 95% of games are on windows pc but horizon 2 is the sequel of my gotg and even as a crossgen i can't undervalue this fact.

So my vote goes to Nintendo.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I can't get those Sony style single player games on Xbox, but there's no shortage of multiplayer games on PlayStation. The whole industry is flooded with multiplayer, and Halo/Gears are rather low in the picking order which makes it very easy to skip them.
That is because you aren't interested in them. You are only interested in 3rd person story driven games.

You cant also get halo forza horizon and sea of thieves on Playstation. We can keep playing those games, so please stop with your fanboy shit.

Each console has its advantages and disadvantages. Sony needs 3rd party games for multi-player side, while xbox needs 3rd party games cover for story driven games.

Without those 3rd party games, both consoles would useless, and people will get tired from it.

PS5 and it’s not even close. Returnal, Ratchet, and Horizon are all GOTY contenders

Halo Infinite would need to be God of War 2018 reboot levels of spectacular to meaningfully provide an argument that they’re in the running

I just don’t see that happening honestly. Halo will appeal to the hardcore fans but still won’t move the series forward to where it needs to be

That is because you aren't interested in them. You are only interested in 3rd person story driven games.

You cant also get halo forza horizon and sea of thieves on Playstation. We can keep playing those games, so please stop with your fanboy shit.

Each console has its advantages and disadvantages. Sony needs 3rd party games for multi-player side, while xbox needs 3rd party games cover for story driven games.

Without those 3rd party games, both consoles would useless, and people will get tired from it.

difference is Sony’s single player is world class whereas Microsoft’s MP isn’t very popular and there are better titles out there if that’s your thing

Hezekiah

Banned
MS is returning to the same franchises and a Pc title that has been out for months.

But this timed moneyhat third party title that is a next gen update to a game that has been out for more than 12 months, now that’s something special 🤡

Also the upcoming Sony PS5 big hitters:

Another GT
Another God of War
Another Horizon Far Cry

And they just released another Ratchet.

They do get kudos however for being the only one of the two to actually release a next gen only game so far.
If you try actually reading you'll note that I said FF7 was a 'welcome addition', I never said anything about it being 'special' 💩.

Horizon is merely the second in the series - how many Halo and Forza games have we had now?

Stop being a snowflake - I get that you're probably desperate having been playing old games up till now, but there's no need to get so sensitive.

Cap. My most played multiplayer game for 2 gens in a row was The Last of Factions.

The second one is coming and there’s rumors that Guerilla is working on a multiplayer game too. Or was that Sucker Punch. Or both?

Last edited:
Top Bottom