• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5: VRR Update Is Reportedly Coming In December

Status
Not open for further replies.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Thank you so much for your help and for giving yourself the trouble to translate everything. I'll be able to test this during the weekend and i'll give you some feeedback later.

Sigh...missing those days you could just hook up a damn console to a TV and that's it. Either that or i'm just picky as an adult, lmao.
If the post i quoted before yours doesn't work i'll try this and see what works the best for sure.
Thanks!
No problem man about the other post you quoted you can absolutely use motion flow in game mode each mode can be fully customised at least on the xh9096 i am sure of it.

Kuranghi

No problem man about the other post you quoted you can absolutely use motion flow in game mode each mode can be fully customised at least on the xh9096 i am sure of it.

I wasn't aware of that, but I've no first hand knowledge of the Xh90 or X90J so was going by review/settings videos I've watched.

So on your XH90 when you have Game picture mode enabled you can set the motion settings to Custom and add Smoothing and not just Clearness? Ie its not greyed out? Good to know if true.

Kuranghi

For triple buffered v sync there is some extra lag but the best v sync is a double buffer that never dips under the target fps.

Have you tried out RTSS's scanline-sync? Its pretty amazing if you get it working properly but it needs a game without big frametime spikes (from asset loading or shader compilation) and a massive GPU overhead (60% usage max for your target refresh rate, but some games I've had it up at 80-90% with no tearing).

It has essentially zero added input lag and I can't tell difference with it and v-sync off, so way better than even the one frame of lag from double-buffered v-sync. Brilliant for 30fps games in this regard.

I use it when its a game that juuust won't reach 4K60 on my HW and instead of dropping to 1800p60 I'll do 4K30 with scanline-sync and the input lag is feels basically the same than 60fps double-buffer v-sync'd (8ms average frame lag + 16ms sync lag vs 16ms average frame lag + no sync lag, as I understand it).

PM if you try it and have issues hiding the tear line. I generally set -140 offset for every game at native 4K and it works fine, given the caveats I gave at start of post.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I wasn't aware of that, but I've no first hand knowledge of the Xh90 or X90J so was going by review/settings videos I've watched.

So on your XH90 when you have Game picture mode enabled you can set the motion settings to Custom and add Smoothing and not just Clearness? Ie its not greyed out? Good to know if true.
Yep, you can turn it on/off and even fine tune it.

Kuranghi

Thanks pal, didn't mean to give misinformation I just never saw that mentioned in any XH90/X90J review. Surprised they went back on their Game mode design philosophy of assuming you wouldn't want to add that much lag, but I suppose they have to comepete with Sam and Ellen G.

dotnotbot

Thanks pal, didn't mean to give misinformation I just never saw that mentioned in any XH90/X90J review. Surprised they went back on their Game mode design philosophy of assuming you wouldn't want to add that much lag, but I suppose they have to comepete with Sam and Ellen G.
Hmmm, on A80J I could only adjust clearness (BFI), smoothnes was greyed out in game mode.

Last edited:
Hmmm, on A80J I could only adjust clearness (BFI), smoothnes was greyed out in game mode.
I was about to say. I've only used the A80J but given the X90J shares its XR processor, the settings should behave identically. (Edit : well except the clearness settings as oled has a 60hz bfi option where lcd only has 120hz) I don't think it's correct to say X90J can enable smoothing.

Be nice if it could given how bad Sony fucked the motion vs. i.e. X900e/f/950g. Although it would be sure to double lag and add artifacts, so. *hugs x900e*

Last edited:
Have you tried out RTSS's scanline-sync? Its pretty amazing if you get it working properly but it needs a game without big frametime spikes (from asset loading or shader compilation) and a massive GPU overhead (60% usage max for your target refresh rate, but some games I've had it up at 80-90% with no tearing).

It has essentially zero added input lag and I can't tell difference with it and v-sync off, so way better than even the one frame of lag from double-buffered v-sync. Brilliant for 30fps games in this regard.

I use it when its a game that juuust won't reach 4K60 on my HW and instead of dropping to 1800p60 I'll do 4K30 with scanline-sync and the input lag is feels basically the same than 60fps double-buffer v-sync'd (8ms average frame lag + 16ms sync lag vs 16ms average frame lag + no sync lag, as I understand it).

PM if you try it and have issues hiding the tear line. I generally set -140 offset for every game at native 4K and it works fine, given the caveats I gave at start of post.
I have not tried that my friend. I always aim for 60fps on PC and when the in game v sync feels off I just default to Nvidia fast sync which fixes it the brute force way :p

That would be interesting for games with locked 30fps elements where I may not want to run it at 60fps, I will keep it in mind but my PC game time is much less than my console time.

Last edited:
It's ok dude. I'll try to use those settings and then we'll see how it all goes.

Kuranghi

I was about to say. I've only used the A80J but given the X90J shares its XR processor, the settings should behave identically. I don't think it's correct to say X90J can enable smoothing.

I just looked up 3 separate "XH90 <console> Settings" videos to get my own confirmation and every time they get to the Motion tab, its set to OFF and they say "well you wouldn't want to add more input lag so don't turn this on" and then they never show if its greyed out or not lol ffs!

Would be cool if A azertydu91 could post a photo of their settings showing it not greyed out in game mode, not calling you a liar I just always like to verify things for myself and got conflicting reports for the A80J now.

I have not tried that my friend. I always aim for 60fps on PC and when the in game v sync feels off I just default to Nvidia fast sync which fixes it the brute force way :p

I knew you would haha but thought I'd mention it. You could still use scanline-sync to get no added lag v-sync if you are running at game at 100fps average, since that would be enough headroom to hide the tear line and avoid frametime spikes causing tears. If you are running games at 1440p I'm sure thats a likely scenario as well.

Kuranghi

It's ok dude.

Cat Please GIF by Atinum
i'm sorry forgive me GIF by VH1
I Apologize Reaction GIF

forgive me halloween GIF
Can You Forgive Me Philip Seymour Hoffman GIF

*throws self into the sea before receiving answer*

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I just looked up 3 separate "XH90 <console> Settings" videos to get my own confirmation and every time they get to the Motion tab, its set to OFF and they say "well you wouldn't want to add more input lag so don't turn this on" and then they never show if its greyed out or not lol ffs!

Would be cool if A azertydu91 could post a photo of their settings showing it not greyed out in game mode, not calling you a liar I just always like to verify things for myself and got conflicting reports for the A80J now.

I knew you would haha but thought I'd mention it. You could still use scanline-sync to get no added lag v-sync if you are running at game at 100fps average, since that would be enough headroom to hide the tear line and avoid frametime spikes causing tears. If you are running games at 1440p I'm sure thats a likely scenario as well.
8SZl3HC.jpg
7eUBoxx.jpg

Edit I coudn't type on my phone, I don't know why.As you can see in the second pic top right mode: jeu means game mode and in the first picture picture motion flow activated where you can adjust fluidity and clarity I set it all to the minimum but I can put them to the max if I want,usually it's off though.

I wonder how much input lag motionflow would add because if it is low maybe it could fix Tiago Rodrigues Tiago Rodrigues 's problem

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
No problem man you weren't assertive or anything and it is a simple discussion there was also the prossibility that I misremembered and that it was greyed out.

I promise A80J didn't have it at least when I tested. If you don't have an x90j at you store i'll go to my best buy 3 minutes away and check their tv lol.

8SZl3HC.jpg
7eUBoxx.jpg

Edit I coudn't type on my phone, I don't know why.As you can see in the second pic top right mode: jeu means game mode and in the first picture picture motion flow activated where you can adjust fluidity and clarity I set it all to the minimum but I can put them to the max if I want,usually it's off though.

I wonder how much input lag motionflow would add because if it is low maybe it could fix Tiago Rodrigues Tiago Rodrigues 's problem
It's greyed out which means you can't use it mate.

You can adjust clearness which is 120hz bfi, but not motion interpolation.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

8SZl3HC.jpg
7eUBoxx.jpg

Cheers pal, I'll check out my instore models on the weekend, I never touch Sony's in this current store because no one wants to buy them, much to my chagrin.

Cheers pal, I'll check out my instore models on the weekend, I never touch Sony's in this current store because no one wants to buy them, much to my chagrin.
Look where it says "fluidit'e" on his screen, clearly greyed out. I knew I wasn't crazy. Too crazy anyway xD

One day Sony will add the option. Surely they're worried about artifacts which game mode would exacerbate!

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Dude I can actvate it and move the sliders it is greyed because it is not selected.Tge motion flow is set to expert then you can change the value of fluidity and clarity.I have the TV you robably not so either you believe what you want or you believe someone that has acces to the information you want.Beside if on tv reviews they mention that users would probably want to set it to off in game mode it means that there is the possibility to activate it.

Dude I can actvate it and move the sliders it is greyed because it is not selected.Tge motion flow is set to expert then you can change the value of fluidity and clarity.I have the TV you robably not so either you believe what you want or you believe someone that has acces to the information you want.Beside if on tv reviews they mention that users would probably want to set it to off in game mode it means that there is the possibility to activate it.
Nooope. Not sure what you're trying to pull here.

Kuranghi

Look where it says "fluidit'e" on his screen, clearly greyed out. I knew I wasn't crazy. Too crazy anyway xD

One day Sony will add the option. Surely they're worried about artifacts which game mode would exacerbate!

Maybe "Expert" is the french langugage UI equivalent of Auto? Seems more likely it'd be the equivalent of "Custom" given the name though. I'll check on the weekend to be sure.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Oh I get what you means you can't fine tune it but it still add fluidity because on this TV min doesn't mean 0.I can on other parameters change things from max value on the slider min and 0.So this means that motion is working.Like noise reduction gox from max to medium to min to deactivated/no on the settings

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Nooope. Not sure what you're trying to pull here.
Just check my post above you can't fine tune it but it is activated, where I think the main difference is, is that it doesn't adjust on the fly as can auto mode but you just set it to a certain parameter and stay that way.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
For sure, check it out bro. It's got to mean custom.
Yep it exactly means custom ... for this Tv ,in french expert means expert it is the same word.

Edit: another words that could be used instead of expert is perso. shotrtened for personnel or personalisé which means custom ...For anyone that for god knows why would have to set up a french TV.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yep it exactly means custom ... for this Tv ,in french expert means expert it is the same word.

Massively off-topic: Do you like Raclette?

We had this French oizo staying this week and I mentioned it in passing and I thought she was going to have an orgasm.

I need to know if there are French people that don't like Raclette.

Just check my post above you can't fine tune it but it is activated, where I think the main difference is, is that it doesn't adjust on the fly as can auto mode but you just set it to a certain parameter and stay that way.
Trust me i've used every generation of Sony tv from 2016, if it's greyed out you can't use it. 2 other points of evidence to show it's not engaged :

Input lag is still 18ms, same as x1 ultimate sony lcds.

2. X90j has more judder than previous sony sets.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Massively off-topic: Do you like Raclette?

We had this French oizo staying this week and I mentioned it in passing and I thought she was going to have an orgasm.

I need to know if there are French people that don't like Raclette.
Yeah I like it a bit but not much.My girlfriend is crazy about it though.She can probably eat 3x more than me when we eat raclette and I am probably twice her weight.

Kuranghi

Yeah I like it a bit but not much.My girlfriend is crazy about it though.She can probably eat 3x more than me when we eat raclette and I am probably twice her weight.

Ha, good info, cheers. This girl wasn't exactly skinny either, so if your skinny gf is hot on the Raclette too then we could be on to a secret here.

*takes notes for future about how Raclette can be used to make French women's panties melt*

Don't worry I won't seduce your girlfriend using Raclette.

I'm going to create a Tinder profile where I'm only looking for French women and the profile picture is a big pile of melted cheese on a Raclette grill.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Trust me i've used every generation of Sony tv from 2016, if it's greyed out you can't use it. 2 other points of evidence to show it's not engaged :

Input lag is still 18ms, same as x1 ultimate sony lcds.

2. X90j has more judder than previous sony sets.
On this TV i can feel a bit more input lag when it is on, but it is not the xj90 but the xh90.
Once again as I said before you can't fine tune it in game mode but it add motionflow in this mode you guys are just focusing on the fluidity value that can't be modified but min is not 0.I checked with my mouse on the screen and it shows the difference.But it makes it really awkward to move the mouse with it.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Ha, good info, cheers. This girl wasn't exactly skinny either, so if your skinny gf is hot on the Raclette too then we could be on to a secret here.

*takes notes for future about how Raclette can be used to make French women's panties melt*

Don't worry I won't seduce your girlfriend using Raclette.

I'm going to create a Tinder profile where I'm only looking for French women and the profile picture is a big pile of melted cheese on a Raclette grill.
I'm not worried we've been together for long enough, but yeah raclette can help a date go well but be careful because your mouth might stink after depending on the selected cheese.

On this TV i can feel a bit more input lag when it is on, but it is not the xj90 but the xh90.
Once again as I said before you can't fine tune it in game mode but it add motionflow in this mode you guys are just focusing on the fluidity value that can't be modified but min is not 0.I checked with my mouse on the screen and it shows the difference.But it makes it really awkward to move the mouse with it.
I've tested input lag via leo bodnar lag test tool ; when motion is set to custom vs. off on Sony sets the input lag is unchanged.

With the exception of turning on clearness on oled which adds 8ms of lag, but clearness on lcd sets adds no lag. With input lag, sometimes you may experience a placebo effect when changing settings.

Granted, i've not tested x90j specifically but I don't imagine it's different vs. A80j oled based on literally every other modern Sony i've used. Not sure what else I can say, so i'll leave it at that. Peace

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I've tested input lag via leo bodnar lag test tool ; when motion is set to custom vs. off on Sony sets the input lag is unchanged.

With the exception of turning on clearness on oled which adds 8ms of lag, but clearness on lcd sets adds no lag. With input lag, sometimes you may experience a placebo effect when changing settings.

Granted, i've not tested x90j specifically but I don't imagine it's different vs. A80j oled based on literally every other modern Sony i've used. Not sure what else I can say, so i'll leave it at that. Peace
Once again I checked online and on the xh9096 motion flow can be activated and maybe it is not more laggy that may be placebo I do agree on that but it definitely changes how my mouse cursor moves.What could changes Tiago Rodrigues Tiago Rodrigues 30fps perception may be due to the hdmi not being set to enhanced maybe if not that I don't see what else it can be.

Everything is written in french so I'll just post what my settings are just bare in mind that the luminosity will be too low but my girlfriend is photosensitive, so adjust the brightness as you want.
I'll try to translate as best as I can but if you have some doubts i'll go over them sequentially, hoping is it the same in every language.
my settings are for the game mode:
luminosity 5
contrast 90
gamma0
black level 50
black settings no
enhanced contrast non
local dimin low
extended dynamix range no
color 55
shade 0
color temp expert 1
natural color no
sharpness 50
reality creation no
random noise reduction no
digital noise reduction no
motion flow no
movie mode no
hdr mode auto
and all the rest was predefined.

I think what should work best for you is to try to tweak with motionflow since it interpolate frame it can give a feeling of stutters.
If all of that still makes it painful to play 30 fps games maybe check for update or reset it.
That being said my pc is plugged to this TV too and I can feel much more the difference between 30 and 60, since the screen refreshes at the rate of the video I can always tell when I'm watching a 30 fps video on how my mouse looks.It may be due to the moving pixels resolution i'm not sure how it is called in english.
Thank you for this. Somehow resetting the TV and then doing your settings helped.
I have no idea what i was doing wrong but it doesn't matter since it all worked out :messenger_horns:

Lognor

Banned
how many Sony TVs are out there with VRR? until they have a solid mid range lineup that supports it it will not come... that's pretty much how it is.
None. That's my point. Sony has completely dropped the ball on both the PS5 and their tvs.

I guess at this point we wait for the 2022 Sony tvs to see if Sony decides to give a damn. They're getting absolutely smoked by LG

Lognor

Banned
I honestly would like to know whats going on. At this point VRR is has been widely available for years, how did Sony screw this up so bad ?
Sony's engineers seem to really be struggling with the implementation. Check out this video:

They really just need to poach some folks from LG and get it sorted. LG has had VRR in their tvs for years. Maybe it's not perfect, but still significantly better than what Sony has done and Sony needs something. It really boggles the mind that Sony has one of the most popular consoles and their tvs are not great for tvs. You would think the PS and tv divisions would work hand in hand to deliver an optimal experience.

Sony's engineers seem to really be struggling with the implementation. Check out this video:

They really just need to poach some folks from LG and get it sorted. LG has had VRR in their tvs for years. Maybe it's not perfect, but still significantly better than what Sony has done and Sony needs something. It really boggles the mind that Sony has one of the most popular consoles and their tvs are not great for tvs. You would think the PS and tv divisions would work hand in hand to deliver an optimal experience.

I mean, we've seen Sonys performance in almost every other division decline since the early 00s. I'm honestly surprised that they even still bother to compete in the TV market. Their TVs dont bring anything valuable to the table, just over-priced and under performant.

As for correcting the already broken HDMI issues, I think the ship has sailed on anything that is currently already being shipped . We will likely have to wait for hardware revisions. As we can see from the video, you can't just hack your way to something that depends on hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom