• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Teardown: An inside look at our most transformative console yet

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
not challenging your statement here. I'm legit asking. Every time I've looked into liquid metal it's been nothing but horror stories and how it corrodes the tops of cpus etc. I think even Linus did a video on it (could be mistaken and too lazy to look).

dude said they have been developing that particular component for 2 years. I imagine they have it well tested. Last thing they want is a RROD situation.

ethomaz

Banned
That's what they claim but is it true? Liquid metal has displacement issues and you need to reapply more frequently about once a year this is what they recommend for PC but Sony's version of LM might need less maintenance but I think after 2 years you will definitely need to paint on a fresh coat.
What I knew from reading... never used Liquid Metal.
It contains Gallium that will corrode most of the cooler with aluminium heatsink (even the expensive ones)... so you need a proper cooler with a material that won't corrode to use it.
It is hard to apply too but that is a machine that will come with it applied.

Now about the liquid metal aging?

"This shows that there’s more variance in application of liquid metal – a whole lot more – than there is measurable difference in liquid metal aging on our platform (again, based on a case study – please note that this is not 100% conclusive for all LMs on all platforms). You should be more concerned about how well the liquid metal is applied than about its aging. That said, monitor thermals every now and then just to make sure all is well. If you’ve been running liquid metal in a system for a while, please let us know how it has aged."

The issue seems to be more in the application of the liquid metal than it aging.

Some reddit I found:

"Only change it if you significantly move or disturb the IHS. Otherwise it is pretty much set it and forget it. I will say though, I would advise, if you have the option (if not NBD), using a nickel plated block (vs copper) if you are also putting CLU between the IHS and the CPU block. Although something like Thermal Grizzly or any quality TIM there is probably a better idea anyways."

"liquid metal should never need replacing iirc"

"Delidded 4690K with CLU user here. 15 months now, no temp changes.

+1 for the slap it on and forget it camp. I see no reason to change it out unless I decide to take things apart enough to where it wouldn't be that much effort."

"I delidded my own 3770K back in 2012-13 or so and didn't check the liquid metal TIM (CLU i think?) until 2015 when I did some other upgrades. After all that time, it was still liquid and temps were perfectly fine, but I went ahead and changed the liquid metal TIM even though I probably didn't need to.

I also recently purchased a delidded 7700K from Silicon Lottery. They not only delid but reseal the IHS, so with no instructions or information to the contrary it seems like once it's done, you can leave it."

Unless you try to make a upgrade in your PC that chances in the part you used liquid metal you are good to keep it forever I guess.

Last edited:
Unfortunately...no confirmation if it has physical power / eject buttons, or whether they are shitty, shitty, shitty, fucking garbage useless pieces of shit capacitive buttons (yeah, you can tell I hate capacitive buttons...)

Where have you been? We’ve known it has physical buttons since the console form factor was finally revealed. Nobody does capacitive buttons anymore anyways.

The teardown reminded me of the late Mr. Iwata san's Wii U Unboxing Box during a time where "unboxing videoes" was popular on Youtube (and for its subtle ASMR vibes)

People must realize how unprecedented it is to get official videos like these, and like Sony, showing a level of confidence in the hardware and the consumer really shows

lachesis

You have to stand that shit up like a Christmas tree. Someone needs to meme bringing it home tied to the roof of your car and setting it up for Christmas with lights on it.

R5WBAlF.jpg

I don't think you'd need your car to bring it home... probably something larger like a crane or something. ;)

Seriously though, as someone who's interested in inner workings and all, I am pretty delighted that FINALLY I got to see what I've pre-ordered for.
Same goes to Xbox Series X - that as soon as they had their internal showing of how it's made, I was convinced that I would buy that machine too, even though I skipped Xbox on this current gen.

Yes, it will be LARGE, but I will think of having a super slim AV receiver or sort. (It's smaller than Marantz Slim AV receiver that fit into my current cabinet, so I'm sure it will work find)

Most people don't take apart their consoles and reapply thermal paste. Thats a neogaf thing not a normal consumer thing.

Hell all my apartments of the last 20 years have been cool and relatively dust free so I have never had any issues with my PlayStation's. Although I will admit that I never bought them at launch.

ethomaz

Banned
I do not think they designed a consumer console that requires to be sent in every two years... not likely at all.
Actually doing some research liquid metal should not be replaced and/or reapplied unless you try to change the hardware you are using it... like for example doing a upgrade in CPU (that is when you need to put replace/reapply liquid metal).

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned

The teardown reminded me of the late Mr. Iwata san's Wii U Unboxing Box during a time where "unboxing videoes" was popular on Youtube (and for its subtle ASMR vibes)

People must realize how unprecedented it is to get official videos like these, and like Sony, showing a level of confidence in the hardware and the consumer really shows

Yeah, the gloves really give it a level of class too. Wish Sony did that for this teardown video.

geordiemp

I think they're both RDNA2 (as AMD fucking said you goobers - not you Geordie) but not sure about bigger L1/L2 cache. We'll see.

Yes they are both RDNA2, was just toying as the post deserved it

I also dont think ps5 will have big pC like 128 MB or whatever the rumour is cache either on the GPU. Zen2 has bigger CPU cache as well on teh cPU side.

Consoles wont do big caches to the pC extent, but ps5 will have something to help I believe.

Last edited:

demigod

Unfortunately...no confirmation if it has physical power / eject buttons, or whether they are shitty, shitty, shitty, fucking garbage useless pieces of shit capacitive buttons (yeah, you can tell I hate capacitive buttons...)

I hate capacitative buttons, they actually give me a shock.

tryDEATH

I haven't seen anyone ask, does the PS5 come with a full tool set, because it seems like you will be opening this thing up to do maintenance and add parts to it like with the SSD and even to simply lay it down on its side or are you suppose to provide your own tools, just asking for a friend.

Chittagong

Gold Member
My impressions

1. God, that thing is absolutely enormous. I expected big but this is next level.

2. Build quality looks pretty terrible, the tolerances around the port are massive and not neatly aligned.

3. How do you end up with a design so asymmetrical that you need a mandatory stand for horizontal mode?

4. Why is that motherboard so sparse? It could be half smaller, no?

5. Wait, if the motherboard with all the components is that small, how is the console so huge?

6. Oh, the space is for that weirdly shaped heatsink. Holy shit, that’s the biggest heat sink I have ever seen.

7. Wait, that still doesn’t explain the enormous size. And why is it so asymmetrical too?

Most baffling design I have ever seen for sure. Happy I have the digital version, and a unit to hide it in.

Last edited:

Arian71

Banned
What is the diference betwen heats
R5WBAlF.jpg

I don't think you'd need your car to bring it home... probably something larger like a crane or something. ;)

Seriously though, as someone who's interested in inner workings and all, I am pretty delighted that FINALLY I got to see what I've pre-ordered for.
Same goes to Xbox Series X - that as soon as they had their internal showing of how it's made, I was convinced that I would buy that machine too, even though I skipped Xbox on this current gen.

Yes, it will be LARGE, but I will think of having a super slim AV receiver or sort. (It's smaller than Marantz Slim AV receiver that fit into my current cabinet, so I'm sure it will work find)
I see ps5 in the midle of xboxes

LordOfChaos

Amen to that...

Just saw someone on the verge say there are higher performance thermal pastes but Sony went with LM to trick sheep...Liquid metal provides up to 73 W/(mK) thermal conductivity which is VASTLY higher than the 0.5-12.5 W/(mK) thermal conductivity provided by thermal pastes. Yeah, moving on.

Console wars were always console wars but I'm not sure I ever remember this amount of deliberate FUD against Sony

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I haven't seen anyone ask, does the PS5 come with a full tool set, because it seems like you will be opening this thing up to do maintenance and add parts to it like with the SSD and even to simply lay it down on its side or are you suppose to provide your own tools, just asking for a friend.
It is not different from PS4, PS3, etc.

Entroyp

Just saw someone on the verge say there are higher performance thermal pastes but Sony went with LM to trick sheep...Liquid metal provides up to 73 W/(mK) thermal conductivity which is VASTLY higher than the 0.5-12.5 W/(mK) thermal conductivity provided by thermal pastes. Yeah, moving on.

Console wars were always console wars but I'm not sure I ever remember this amount of deliberate FUD against Sony

Well.. they don’t get bribes and freebies from Sony

That heatsink is H U G E !!!! as is the fan.

This thing looks as gorgeous on the inside as it does on the outside. Very well thought out.

Thank you PS for the teardown.

Now onto the UI please.

Fuck, I need this in my life. Might have to hit up a fucking scalper. Fuck you scalpers !!!!

He said, paraphrasing, “of course it took them years to engineer this solution, you do not want it to evaporate or leak and replace your console in a year”.

How you took it and ran with “PS5 needs to be serviced every two years to replace the liquid metal” is beyond me...
He's saying that LM does evaporate this is a known problem. These are the issues for PC but maybe since this is an APU and they run a bit cooler it won't be that much of an issue I don't know but I guess we'll see since it's never been used for consoles.

"liquid metals are great for transferring of heat but they can also start to evaporate over time"

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

It seems they cannot rise to the occasion or compete fairly, so the only option left is to try and tear down PlayStation with lies, distortion and other cheap tricks.

Waking up to this is nice!.. and of course I'm too late to partake in discussion. lol 20 pages. Not going to read through all of that.

I already hate how you have to lift the white plates of the console, I always feel like I'm breaking something when I remove the top of my Pro.

Fan being able to draw in air from both sides is great, the "dust collectors" are dumb, but better than nothing I guess. Would've preferred a dust filter on both sides of the fan. Would've increased noise a little bit, but radial coolers are a bitch to clean.

And I was right about the white cover on the leaked images. It's for the SSD and it's a full blown M.2 slot with support (multiple screw holes) for all form factors. Though there won't be 2242 ones fast enough (physically not possible with Gen4), it's nice to see that being there. It's also deep enough for an SSD with a low profile heatsink. This is really good!

Damn, that's a massive fan. Holy shit. lol. That bitch better be quite with a monster like this.

Even LM and a massive heatsink. Sony went all out with their cooling solution.

That's damn impressive. I'm fully satisfied with this teardown, next gen do it a little earlier, Sony.

Now I hope that the console won't have any coil whine.

killatopak

Gold Member

The only tool you will need is a single screwdriver for the SSD slot. Everything else doesn’t need a tool and simply slides off or can be locked by pushing or pulling.

Any further and you risk voiding your warranty.

Suppose you do want to open the thing up, there’s hardly anything further inside that requires maintenance as Sony seems to put everything essential outside of the actual unit.

Bryank75

Banned
Waking up to this is nice!.. and of course I'm too late to partake in discussion. lol 20 pages. Not going to read through all of that.

I already hate how you have to lift the white plates of the console, I always feel like I'm breaking something when I remove the top of my Pro.

Fan being able to draw in air from both sides is great, the "dust collectors" are dumb, but better than nothing I guess. Would've preferred a dust filter on both sides of the fan. Would've increased noise a little bit, but radial coolers are a bitch to clean.

And I was right about the white cover on the leaked images. It's for the SSD and it's a full blown M.2 slot with support (multiple screw holes) for all form factors. Though there won't be 2242 ones fast enough (physically not possible with Gen4), it's nice to see that being there. It's also deep enough for an SSD with a low profile heatsink. This is really good!

Damn, that's a massive fan. Holy shit. lol. That bitch better be quite with a monster like this.

Even LM and a massive heatsink. Sony went all out with their cooling solution.

That's damn impressive. I'm fully satisfied with this teardown, next gen do it a little earlier, Sony.

Now I hope that the console won't have any coil whine.
They're not really 'dust collectors' they just allow you to get the dust out from the inside without voiding warranty. Just holes for a vacuum basically.

Yoboman

Probably start by asking yourself why you don't own a basic screw driver and go from there

Skifi28

You should have a couple of regular screwdrivers in your house for 50 other reasons than a console.

tryDEATH

The only tool you will need is a single screwdriver for the SSD slot. Everything else doesn’t need a tool and simply slides off or can be locked by pushing or pulling.

Any further and you risk voiding your warranty.

Suppose you do want to open the thing up, there’s hardly anything further inside that requires maintenance as Sony seems to put everything essential outside of the actual unit.

Oh okay.

Have they revealed what the recommended vacuuming intervals are like?

demigod

You don’t need a tool to lay it down. Here’s a quarter for you, you can use that quarter to unscrew it.

Top Bottom